Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/22/2017 8:18:45 PM   
btd64

Are you trying to say that your race is going to attack our system or your looking for a new home. Might I suggest Venus. Lizards like the Volcanoes, right?....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 2371
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/23/2017 12:22:10 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

So that would make Planet C "Goldilocks"?

What's with the orbital period in days? I know the star they orbit is a "cool dwarf" (probably the one Tauriel fell in love with), but orbiting the star in 1.51 days seems absurdly fast. Perhaps that should be Rotational period?

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 2372
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/23/2017 2:27:36 AM   
geofflambert

They say that it is 1/10th the size of our sun (which as stars go is a rather big one), all of their orbits are well within the orbit of Mercury. What "size" means is unknown to me, do they mean mass or volume? They are also saying that all seven are in harmonic rhythm with each other because they are so close, and they would not be surprised if all seven are gravitationally locked with their sun, as Mercury is with our sun and the Moon is with the Earth, with one side perpetually facing one way, in the light and the other in the dark. Should make for very interesting weather.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2373
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/23/2017 2:51:12 AM   
geofflambert

I have some joyous news to impart. Some of you may remember me complaining about this sort of thing. Today there was a commercial on TV that had been altered. I will change the name involved to protect the guilty. The ad used to go "Are you talking to your doctor about a "biologic"? Well, this is Humerous helping me leap tall buildings in a single bound; run faster than a locomotive etc.. Music "dah dah dah da di dah" Now, if "biologic" were a noun, which it is not, I, even though a gorn, would be one as well as all the rest of you. The same ad ran today with "biologic" replaced with "medication". I suspect that the ad company and perhaps some lawyers had come up with that usage for "biologic"; it appears they have been defeated and no longer spew such ridiculous gobbledy-gook. I wonder who pressured them into ceasing and desisting from that nonsense? Maybe all the doctors in this galaxy, none of whom ever discussed a "biologic" with their clients?

There used to be some ads from some hair care company describing how their product had "botanicals" in it. Botanical also is not a noun and you no longer hear it used in that way. Later, another hair care company said their product had "active naturals" in it. What in the heck would that be? If they exist there must necessarily be such a thing as "inactive naturals". What would those be? That absurd expression has disappeared as well. Yet, we are not safe. There's something called "Pro-Biotics" being peddled out there. I don't know what they are. "Pro" sounds positive, so I guess it's good stuff. Let's think about that. If you were exposed to Bubonic Plague, an anti-biotic might save your life. What exactly would a "pro-biotic" do in that instance?

Post #: 2374
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/23/2017 3:01:59 AM   
geofflambert

Before anyone accuses me of being an "inactive natural' for not progressing on my game very quickly, the correct usage would be "inactive unnatural".

Post #: 2375
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/23/2017 3:12:12 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

What's with the orbital period in days? I know the star they orbit is a "cool dwarf" (probably the one Tauriel fell in love with), but orbiting the star in 1.51 days seems absurdly fast. Perhaps that should be Rotational period?

Well, if "they" are correct that these planets are gravitationally locked then a day is infinite. In other words one side of each planet is the British Empire and the other is everything that is not. It does still seem a bit fast, perhaps it is an error that sometimes occurs in our corner of the universe.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2376
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/23/2017 3:36:25 AM   
geofflambert

This actress has an uncanny resemblance to Claire Bloom.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2377
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/23/2017 3:49:52 AM   
geofflambert

Here's Claire in The Haunting which is not a bad movie at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQxyaI74v7U

Post #: 2378
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/23/2017 5:32:52 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

This actress has an uncanny resemblance to Claire Bloom.

Her name is Evangeline Lilly - a Canadian actress. Unfortunately, I did not go to the same school as she!

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 2379
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/23/2017 11:51:05 AM   
US87891

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

It is correct. Orbital “period” in days. Trappist-1 radius is 0.114 x Solar radius. Planet b’s distance from the star is 0.011 AU (Earth’s distance from Sol). The masses are given. Earth’s tangential orbital velocity is about 29.8 km/s. Do the math and planet b has a tangential orbital velocity that is slower than Earth’s (about 20-23 km/s). And still orbits Trappist-1 in 1.5 days. Kepler/Copernicus laws of motion.

Matt

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2380
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/23/2017 4:07:49 PM   
geofflambert

If I were living on B my age would be nearly 22,000 years old!

On the other hand, if B is gravitationally locked my age would also be less than one day, unless I took trips all the way round the planet.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 2/23/2017 4:10:52 PM >

(in reply to US87891)
Post #: 2381
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/23/2017 4:39:12 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Maybe all the doctors in this galaxy, none of whom ever discussed a "biologic" with their clients?

It may be gobbledegook to you, but the convention "Biologics" vs. "Chemotherapeutics" is active parlance for those in the business. Biologics refer to preventatives or treatments containing parts of biological agents to induce immunity or a response to a condition. Saggy facial skin? Try a biologic (e.g., Botox) or a chemical (e.g., Retin-A). Both have been widely used for this condition.

The ad was probably playing to the wrong audience. If it was playing to the general population, they've got to really, really, really 'dumb it down'. If playing to a lizard-heavy audience, they have to re-message the ad to include more grunts, groans and drooling for it to get across.

Post #: 2382
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/23/2017 4:43:11 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I have some joyous news to impart. Some of you may remember me complaining about this sort of thing. Today there was a commercial on TV that had been altered. I will change the name involved to protect the guilty. The ad used to go "Are you talking to your doctor about a "biologic"? Well, this is Humerous helping me leap tall buildings in a single bound; run faster than a locomotive etc.. Music "dah dah dah da di dah" Now, if "biologic" were a noun, which it is not, I, even though a gorn, would be one as well as all the rest of you. The same ad ran today with "biologic" replaced with "medication". I suspect that the ad company and perhaps some lawyers had come up with that usage for "biologic"; it appears they have been defeated and no longer spew such ridiculous gobbledy-gook. I wonder who pressured them into ceasing and desisting from that nonsense? Maybe all the doctors in this galaxy, none of whom ever discussed a "biologic" with their clients?

There used to be some ads from some hair care company describing how their product had "botanicals" in it. Botanical also is not a noun and you no longer hear it used in that way. Later, another hair care company said their product had "active naturals" in it. What in the heck would that be? If they exist there must necessarily be such a thing as "inactive naturals". What would those be? That absurd expression has disappeared as well. Yet, we are not safe. There's something called "Pro-Biotics" being peddled out there. I don't know what they are. "Pro" sounds positive, so I guess it's good stuff. Let's think about that. If you were exposed to Bubonic Plague, an anti-biotic might save your life. What exactly would a "pro-biotic" do in that instance?

Probiotics are mostly used to replace 'normal gut flora' (NGF) damaged or compromised by illness or oral antibiotic therapy. A broad-spectrum oral antibiotic (e.g., penicillin) carpet bombs the normal bugs that help with digestion as well as killing the bad ones. Putting helpful bacteria back into one's gut ASAP helps with unfortunate side-effects of disruption of NGF, which we needn't discuss in this family forum further.

I think you guys would just have to eat more skin or your (or someone else's) feces to repopulate your gut flora.

Post #: 2383
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/23/2017 5:28:59 PM   
geofflambert

Jargon is outlawed on Gorn. You are allowed to use terms like whosawhatsit, thingamajig and stuff.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2384
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/23/2017 5:48:18 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

If I were living on B my age would be nearly 22,000 years old!

On the other hand, if B is gravitationally locked my age would also be less than one day, unless I took trips all the way round the planet.

There should be a sweet-spot at the edge of the dark/light transition that gets just enough sunlight to be comfortable. Of course if there is any atmosphere the storms running between hot and cold zones should be vicious! Perfect for gorns!

Post #: 2385
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/23/2017 8:58:27 PM   
Zorch

quote:

Jargon is outlawed on Gorn. You are allowed to use terms like whosawhatsit, thingamajig and stuff.

Is Ja-Gorn allowed?

Post #: 2386
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/23/2017 11:18:07 PM   
Will_L

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

Is Ja-Gorn allowed?

That would be used by Rasta-Gorns.

was Will_L for a while.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2387
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 1:17:04 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: WRLertola

quote:

quote:

Is Ja-Gorn allowed?

WRLertola has been with this forum since the Earth year 2000 and has chosen for his/her 32nd post what you see above. This should be a lesson to all of you. What it is I have no idea.

(in reply to Will_L)
Post #: 2388
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 1:21:45 AM   
geofflambert

I thought this was my mom. Are you saying it is a Rasta-gorn?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2389
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 3:17:29 AM   
BBfanboy

Could be. Look at how the eyes have yellowed from the effects of certain Rasta ... incense.

Post #: 2390
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 1:31:27 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I thought this was my mom. Are you saying it is a Rasta-gorn?

Ugh. She's hideous. Hair? On a Gorn? How very...mammalian...of her.

Post #: 2391
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 1:32:44 PM   
Lecivius

I think it's a fungus

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2392
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 1:43:11 PM   
Zorch

Speaking of Gorns... http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8vdo5_bobby-clark-the-gorn-from-star-trek_shortfilms

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 2393
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 4:10:37 PM   
MakeeLearn

Baby pic.....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 2/24/2017 4:11:19 PM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2394
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 4:43:43 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Baby pic.....

How...er....cute?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2395
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 9:34:35 PM   
Will_L

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Is Ja-Gorn allowed?

WRLertola has been with this forum since the Earth year 2000 and has chosen for his/her 32nd post what you see above. This should be a lesson to all of you. What it is I have no idea.

Got a bit of lurker in me but sometimes peek out from under my rock :-)

was Will_L for a while.

Post #: 2396
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 9:58:20 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

A *bit*?

(in reply to Will_L)
Post #: 2397
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 10:10:54 PM   
Will_L

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

A *bit*?

A wee bit, maybe even a smidgen.

was Will_L for a while.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2398
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 10:18:59 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Yeah, well crawl back under there and don't come out for at least a year!!!

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Will_L)
Post #: 2399
RE: OT Things to ponder - 2/24/2017 10:20:27 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Got a bit of lurker in me

Um, you don't have that problem in other life aspects do ya friend?

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 2400
Page:   <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI