Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Call to try long duration scenarios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Call to try long duration scenarios Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/12/2016 11:24:08 PM   
mikmykWS

Yeah definitely . Along the way if you can give us some input into some of the challenges and sore points you run into that would be great. The goal of all this is to be able to do long duration well (not just do it).

Thanks!

Mike

(in reply to FTBSS)
Post #: 31
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/13/2016 3:19:02 PM   
FTBSS

Will Do!!! I need to become more proficient with LUa but more an issue with my skills more than the game/sim.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 32
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/13/2016 7:50:30 PM   
cdcool

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Hi

We've added a bunch of things now that should in theory allow for some pretty long duration scenarios and would like to know everybody's experience with this and what kinds of things we can add to improve this. Please let us know. I know I'll be working with it to see how it does.

Thanks!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Can you suggest a few that may be good for a test run?

Thanks

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 33
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/13/2016 8:13:06 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: cdcool

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Hi

We've added a bunch of things now that should in theory allow for some pretty long duration scenarios and would like to know everybody's experience with this and what kinds of things we can add to improve this. Please let us know. I know I'll be working with it to see how it does.

Thanks!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Can you suggest a few that may be good for a test run?

Thanks

To may knowledge they're aren't any yet although we just got the pieces in place to accomplish this.

Need guys to build and report stuff.

Thanks!

Mike

(in reply to cdcool)
Post #: 34
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/13/2016 8:33:28 PM   
djoos5

I can suggest my scenario named CAULDRON. It will be updated it in the Scenario thread in just a moment.

It is a 6 and 1/2 day scenario, although it has not been updated with any of the new CMANO features in the current build.

It is designed for a player to take care of missions over a period of days as engagements arise in the war with EURCON, although I have not had a real good testing of it.

Not sure if this helps or not, Mike, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

At some point, it is my intention to either break the larger scenario into a series of battles (like Northern Inferno), or do a major re-tooling of it as it stands.

DJ

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 35
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/13/2016 8:35:52 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: djoos5

I can suggest my scenario named CAULDRON. It will be updated it in the Scenario thread in just a moment.

It is a 6 and 1/2 day scenario, although it has not been updated with any of the new CMANO features in the current build.

It is designed for a player to take care of missions over a period of days as engagements arise in the war with EURCON, although I have not had a real good testing of it.

At some point, it is my intention to either break the larger scenario into a series of battles (like Northern Inferno), or do a major re-tooling of it as it stands.

DJ

Sounds great. Let us know what comes out of testing/building etc. We'd like to know and if we can help out with things by adding to the game.

Mike

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 36
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/13/2016 8:42:44 PM   
djoos5

Shall do... I updated it to the current database and re-uploaded it to the Mods and Scenarios thread.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 37
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/13/2016 8:45:53 PM   
cdcool

quote:

DJ

I'll give it a shot!! Thanks

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 38
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/13/2016 8:46:27 PM   
cdcool

quote:

Shall do... I updated it to the current database and re-uploaded it to the Mods and Scenarios thread.

Cool

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 39
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/13/2016 11:17:42 PM   
mikkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellfish6
... DD commander who has to spend 3-weeks on patrol off RVN doing NGFS or VBSS/whatever/etc. Or an FFG captain in the Tanker Wars for a month.
These are very interesting ideas for long time scenarios.

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 40
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/14/2016 1:25:12 AM   
CCIP-subsim

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikkey

quote:

... DD commander who has to spend 3-weeks on patrol off RVN doing NGFS or VBSS/whatever/etc. Or an FFG captain in the Tanker Wars for a month.
These are very interesting ideas for long time scenarios.

I was thinking of doing something along these lines, actually! Just need to find a bit of research on that. As I said, long-term scenarios offer a lot of possibilities for very low-intensity scenarios to be made interesting. I also thought of the other way and, with some Lua trickery, making a scenario where you play the pirates and have to dodge or bluff your way out of confrontations with warships while capturing high-value shipping :)

Another one that I would like to do is relatively low-intensity air operations - for example enforcing a no-fly zone, or commanding a single squadron/air wing for operations in Mig Alley in Korea.

< Message edited by CCIPsubsim -- 5/14/2016 1:27:52 AM >

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 41
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/14/2016 12:47:39 PM   
hellfish6

I'd be a bit hesitant to do something air-centric at the moment, until we get something like an aircraft maintenance effect system (not a full-fledged maintenance simulator, mind you, but something that allows the player to deal with delays/changes to air ops caused by maintenance issues). I've been a part of real-world air ops in the past and every day something happens to delay, abort or cause changes to an air campaign, even among the best airforces in the world. In other words, aircraft experience in-flight emergencies that require aborts, or random chances for maintenance failures/issues that disrupt the normal aircraft ops cycle - doesn't have to be detailed, but just like some kind of failure table that you roll against every time you launch an aircraft, modified against sortie rate (the more times you launch that aircraft without a maintenance stand-down, the more likely the failure) and maybe side proficiency (better air forces do better maintenance). There are reasons why a carrier in the real world only does X number of sorties a day when it could physically actually launch far more. And also reasons why beloved planes that are maintenance hogs (F-14) are retired before they are obsolete.

not sure if LUA scripting permits anything like that.

I'm sure the C:MANO devs have a plan to address all of this in the future. Hell, you could probably make a whole game out of just dealing with Air Tasking Orders for an air campaign (Flint 15 experiences IFE, has to divert. You failed to slot in a CSAR team to secure the aircraft at the divert location. Flint 15 is arrested by local authorities. Game over.)

< Message edited by hellfish6 -- 5/14/2016 12:51:46 PM >

(in reply to CCIP-subsim)
Post #: 42
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/14/2016 3:04:44 PM   
mikmykWS

Yeah lua can do this.

Mike

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 43
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/14/2016 11:37:13 PM   
Rudd

quote:

I'd be a bit hesitant to do something air-centric at the moment, until we get something like an aircraft maintenance effect system (not a full-fledged maintenance simulator, mind you, but something that allows the player to deal with delays/changes to air ops caused by maintenance issues). I've been a part of real-world air ops in the past and every day something happens to delay, abort or cause changes to an air campaign, even among the best airforces in the world. In other words, aircraft experience in-flight emergencies that require aborts, or random chances for maintenance failures/issues that disrupt the normal aircraft ops cycle - doesn't have to be detailed, but just like some kind of failure table that you roll against every time you launch an aircraft, modified against sortie rate (the more times you launch that aircraft without a maintenance stand-down, the more likely the failure) and maybe side proficiency (better air forces do better maintenance). There are reasons why a carrier in the real world only does X number of sorties a day when it could physically actually launch far more. And also reasons why beloved planes that are maintenance hogs (F-14) are retired before they are obsolete.

not sure if LUA scripting permits anything like that.

I'm sure the C:MANO devs have a plan to address all of this in the future. Hell, you could probably make a whole game out of just dealing with Air Tasking Orders for an air campaign (Flint 15 experiences IFE, has to divert. You failed to slot in a CSAR team to secure the aircraft at the divert location. Flint 15 is arrested by local authorities. Game over.)

Not exactly what you're asking for but wouldn't the 'sustained' air ops tempo(20hr ready times), with different ready times at the scenario start, be a simple solution to simulate some of the above concerns.

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 44
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/16/2016 2:06:26 AM   
mikmykWS

Hi Guys

Looks like MichaelM has provided a lua idea for resupply.

http://qa.commandmodernairnavaloperations.com/215/easiest-best-way-to-script-airbase-resupply

Mike

(in reply to Rudd)
Post #: 45
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/16/2016 9:24:57 PM   
USSInchon

That is exactly what I was looking for. I have a mission that simulates a deployment to a FOL. However, the only way I was able to simulate the delivery and resupply of munitions was to teleport the ammo dump to the base from another location. As for a longer duration mission, I have a few that I am working on that are going on 4-7 days. In building these longer missions, I feel sometimes it is difficult to find things to keep the player interested between major events. It may be my ADHD that is getting the best of me though.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 46
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/17/2016 1:33:59 PM   
mikmykWS

Added a request for a new lua function/method that might be more efficient.

Mike

(in reply to USSInchon)
Post #: 47
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/22/2016 3:35:58 AM   
Gunner98

OK
Built a long scenario to test: Northern Fury 12.6 The Longest Battle. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4086126&mpage=1&key=�

It's not really finished yet but it will take some time to get it right. It's also big so may not be ideal for what you were wanting, but I got carried away

Enjoy.

B

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 48
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/22/2016 1:52:56 PM   
mikmykWS

Anything helps. Thanks!

Mike

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 49
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/22/2016 5:45:50 PM   
mikmykWS

Just to follow up. Perfect example. Thanks!

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 50
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/22/2016 6:33:33 PM   
zclark

I concluded an 11 day long campaign. It primarily was an air land battle but had surface and sub-surface naval elements as well. I ran out of targets late morning on Day 3 after about 4,800 sorties were flown.
Included in the 1,000+ enemy land targets were 8 air bases. I noticed that none of the air base facilities ever initiated repairs even when there were messages saying a facility was fully repaired. A full week had gone by since the bases were struck and tarmacs, runways, etc still showed the same level of damage 7 days earlier.

I mirror what some have already said they would like to see in the future such as maintenance issues, crew fatigue, reinforcements, and resupply. Any of these that can become part of the main UI and not Lua would be great. Scripting is something I just have had a hard time wrapping my head around.

Again, great program and I look forward to seeing it continue to evolve.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 51
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/22/2016 7:18:35 PM   
mikmykWS

Thanks do you have a file somewhere showing the air base issue? If so please do send.

Mike

(in reply to zclark)
Post #: 52
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/23/2016 2:48:59 AM   
zclark

Attached is a scenario I built to test facility damage behavior. Once all targets were heavily damaged or destroyed, I deleted BLUFOR forces to speed up time acceleration. I also included a snapshot a month after the initial strikes took place to show what facilities remain. It doesn't look like any of them made any progress repairing themselves during the month the scenario ran.

I look forward to your feedback.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zclark -- 5/23/2016 2:53:32 AM >

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 53
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/23/2016 3:26:40 AM   
mikmykWS

Thanks. Having our programmers take a look.

Mike

(in reply to zclark)
Post #: 54
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/23/2016 3:24:01 PM   
Mini_Von

Here are a few ideas for increased scenario length. I think more units in a scenario will help lengthen the game.

Would it make sense to be able to filter (toggle ON/OFF) different unit types? We could add many more units per scenario without dragging the performance down.

Example: Maybe you could have 15 detailed airfields in the scenario but only display them when needed. I'm not sure if just having the units in the scenario decreases performance or if displaying them adds to the decrease in performance.

Or would it make sense to use groups for detailed airfields. 1 airfield icon (group view) could be toggled with a detailed (unit view) which would show all items attached to the airbase?

I am not a programmer and I have no idea if this might help, just throwing out some ideas.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 55
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/23/2016 3:30:04 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mini_Von

Here are a few ideas for increased scenario length. I think more units in a scenario will help lengthen the game.

Would it make sense to be able to filter (toggle ON/OFF) different unit types? We could add many more units per scenario without dragging the performance down.

Example: Maybe you could have 15 detailed airfields in the scenario but only display them when needed. I'm not sure if just having the units in the scenario decreases performance or if displaying them adds to the decrease in performance.

Or would it make sense to use groups for detailed airfields. 1 airfield icon (group view) could be toggled with a detailed (unit view) which would show all items attached to the airbase?

I am not a programmer and I have no idea if this might help, just throwing out some ideas.

You can add and remove using lua. Done this a couple of times already and works pretty good.

Thanks for adding this!

Mike

(in reply to Mini_Von)
Post #: 56
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/23/2016 10:14:24 PM   
USSInchon

That resupply script command works great, just remember to make it not automatically detectable. As I am embarking on creating a 21 day mission, is there a way to change the homebase via a script or trigger?

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 57
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/24/2016 12:32:21 AM   
Dysta

Actually, I have a huge military drama-esque, near-future (2020s) Nuclear Holocaust which is involved with two main characters from US and China, doing their own campaigns when their own commissioner/commissar died during the direct assault at western pacific sea, and both gone rogue to do their own objectives.

My estimated series of scenarios be around 6 to 8, with two different endings from player's decision. Each may last around 1-8w consider their logistics. Not just involved with lots of advance weapons (with customized weapon mounts and loadouts), but also some extremely unique asymmetrical tactics, some even breaking the Geneva Conventions to do much worse damages than expected.

And in between each chapters of scenarios will have text-only stories when not fighting, focusing on character developments and understand everything behind the war.

This might takes a year to finish because most of them will involved with huge amounts of units, scripts and such. I can propose the idea first to see if anyone is interested.

Nothing relateive to the recent war story called Ghost Fleet, or anything that bolster the fate and hegemony from both nations. They are just rogue admirals doing their own vengeances.

< Message edited by Dysta -- 5/24/2016 12:43:32 AM >

(in reply to USSInchon)
Post #: 58
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/24/2016 1:35:34 AM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dysta

Actually, I have a huge military drama-esque, near-future (2020s) Nuclear Holocaust which is involved with two main characters from US and China, doing their own campaigns when their own commissioner/commissar died during the direct assault at western pacific sea, and both gone rogue to do their own objectives.

My estimated series of scenarios be around 6 to 8, with two different endings from player's decision. Each may last around 1-8w consider their logistics. Not just involved with lots of advance weapons (with customized weapon mounts and loadouts), but also some extremely unique asymmetrical tactics, some even breaking the Geneva Conventions to do much worse damages than expected.

And in between each chapters of scenarios will have text-only stories when not fighting, focusing on character developments and understand everything behind the war.

This might takes a year to finish because most of them will involved with huge amounts of units, scripts and such. I can propose the idea first to see if anyone is interested.

Nothing relateive to the recent war story called Ghost Fleet, or anything that bolster the fate and hegemony from both nations. They are just rogue admirals doing their own vengeances.

Sounds great.

More interested here on game mechanics etc. though so if you could keep the discussion focused on that instead of your crusade against Western bias that would be useful.

Thanks!

Mike

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 59
RE: Call to try long duration scenarios - 5/24/2016 12:01:02 PM   
michaelm75au

IMHO, long scenarios don't have to have hundreds of units. While interesting (and nothing against the great NF12 scenario), all that really does from my own perspective is probably slow down the program, and cause long term memory issues (hitting the 32-bit limit).
A long duration game with fewer units, like the convoys across the Atlantic (very much like that in the NF12 scenario) with a limited play field between continental US and Europe/Med, could still be manageable and exercise this new functionality.

Michael

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Call to try long duration scenarios Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI