Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: European Championship

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: European Championship Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: European Championship - 6/12/2016 1:09:49 PM   
Orm

Anyone else thought that England attacked to much in the middle?

And I was surprised that so many of the English players looked afraid to run into the penalty box. Seriously, just one guy there when the passing attempt is made. Ridiculous. That is almost as bad as Sweden.

Is it because they are afraid for counters that they do not run the extra ten yard into the penalty box?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 61
RE: European Championship - 6/12/2016 1:14:29 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

And I was surprised that so many of the English players looked afraid to run into the penalty box. Seriously, just one guy there when the passing attempt is made. Ridiculous. That is almost as bad as Sweden.

Is it because they are afraid for counters that they do not run the extra ten yard into the penalty box?
warspite1

No I thought that we used Rose - and particularly Walker - to good effect on the wing. And Alli and Lallana got into the box a lot. The really frustrating aspect was almost every time Sterling got the ball he just held it up. His weapon is his speed (allegedly) and he and Rose could have exploited that and really terrorised the Russian right back. Rose tried but Sterling just kept stopping, holding the ball up and passing square or backwards. Waste of space.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 62
RE: European Championship - 6/12/2016 1:18:38 PM   
Orm

True. There were often two guys in the penalty box. But I would like three of four guys there more often. I thought England would have more players that run from box to box. At least from time to time.

And maybe I thought England attacked to much in the middle because I thought the wing attacks looked more dangerous.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 63
RE: European Championship - 6/12/2016 2:59:35 PM   
warspite1

What a goal from Luka Modric!!!

Does me no good in the predictions dept. sadly, but what a goal all the same......

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/12/2016 4:37:54 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 64
RE: European Championship - 6/12/2016 3:08:06 PM   
Dixie

quote:

That's because the wide players were pretty poor. Lallana is not international quality and neither was Raheem Sterling last night. The central players (and Rooney) were far better and offered a better outlet.

The main thing that bugged me yesterday wasn't from the England match however and I'd suspect that there are only a few people on the thread who saw it.... But half time in the Wales game and the BBC cut to a pre-recorded interview, no problem in itself. But they were talking to England player Jordan Henderson for some reason. I don't care what he has to say anyway, but in a game featuring Wales and Slovakia why do we need to hear from an England player?

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 65
RE: European Championship - 6/13/2016 2:55:06 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

That's because the wide players were pretty poor. Lallana is not international quality and neither was Raheem Sterling last night. The central players (and Rooney) were far better and offered a better outlet.

I felt that Lallana actually did quite well, and was a constant threat to the Russians. Sterling was too selfish, so can agree there. The entire English side lost momentum in the second half though.

My main concerns after that match are instead;
-Joe Hart. There were a few moments there were I felt he was less than optimal, and a goalie that underperforms can very easily cause unrest in the rest of the team.

-The height of the central defenders. They are not the tallest of players, and as such, at times struggled against the Russians when high balls were sent into the box. This can become an issue during the championship.

-Kane taking corners. I would think that there are other players that are not on the team as goalscorers that are capable to take corners just as well (better actually since his corners were meh at best) as Kane.

The biggest pros for England are imo;
-the width of the stable. It has been long since I have seen an English side with that many capable players in more or less all positions.

-the ball winning and playing capabilities of the team. For once, England has a side that are a threat whenever they have possesion of the ball.

-Rooney is NOT used as a striker. His striker days are (and have been for some time imo) gone. His role as an attacking midfielder seems to suit him well.

*edit* oh, and on Friday, a norwegian paper had a poll about what country norwegians will follow during the championship. 54% voted England, 27% voted Germany, the rest of the votes were evenly distributed. So, seems I am your average norwegian after all. damn

< Message edited by terje439 -- 6/13/2016 2:59:50 PM >

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 66
RE: European Championship - 6/13/2016 9:00:06 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Come on, Belgium. Just two goals (2:1) and I will take over the world...

Well, just until tomorrow.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 67
RE: European Championship - 6/13/2016 11:07:25 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

quote:

I felt that Lallana actually did quite well, and was a constant threat to the Russians. Sterling was too selfish, so can agree there. The entire English side lost momentum in the second half though.

My main concerns after that match are instead;
-Joe Hart. There were a few moments there were I felt he was less than optimal, and a goalie that underperforms can very easily cause unrest in the rest of the team.

-The height of the central defenders. They are not the tallest of players, and as such, at times struggled against the Russians when high balls were sent into the box. This can become an issue during the championship.

-Kane taking corners. I would think that there are other players that are not on the team as goalscorers that are capable to take corners just as well (better actually since his corners were meh at best) as Kane.

The biggest pros for England are imo;
-the width of the stable. It has been long since I have seen an English side with that many capable players in more or less all positions.

-the ball winning and playing capabilities of the team. For once, England has a side that are a threat whenever they have possesion of the ball.

-Rooney is NOT used as a striker. His striker days are (and have been for some time imo) gone. His role as an attacking midfielder seems to suit him well.

*edit* oh, and on Friday, a norwegian paper had a poll about what country norwegians will follow during the championship. 54% voted England, 27% voted Germany, the rest of the votes were evenly distributed. So, seems I am your average norwegian after all. damn

Because I'm English I get to be negative about my team even when they did well!

Lallana's get the ball and lose it shtick gets old pretty quickly. But hey ho, it's what you get with him.

A bigger concern about the defenders is that both first choice defenders are adequate but usually not far away from a mental block and stupid mistake. That's bad enough with one player prone to brain fade but with two of them... The other problem is that Stones can pass but is not a good defender. At all right now.
Hart is still the best choice in goal, but Forster has improved the situation a lot in recent times and I wouldn't complain if he was given the chance.
Rooney was made to look good as the Russians were fairly static. Against Wales he'd have been exposed. He's not as good as he thinks he is in midfield. But we must fit the captain in somehow.
Sturridge is probably the best forward England have in the squad if he's not broken. But his legs are made of balsa wood and cream crackers.

Overall, great going forward but not good at the back.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 68
RE: European Championship - 6/14/2016 7:14:46 AM   
warspite1

Belgium are definitely the England (Golden Generation ) of the 2000's.

A bunch of individuals that, on paper are good, De Bruyne, Hazard, Alderweirald, Courtois etc - but when they play as a national team, are just appalling. No width, no speed, no imagination, no passion, no determination. We saw this in the last World Cup. They have the same manager at two years ago, so why did I put two Belgian defenders in my fantasy team? Idiot .

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 69
RE: European Championship - 6/14/2016 7:20:14 AM   
warspite1

Well done Italy though. Great character.

But what has happened to the national team when Giaccherini - yes him, who can't get in Sunderland's team - is a first choice for the national team??? Where have all the stars gone?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 70
RE: European Championship - 6/14/2016 8:11:28 AM   
Dixie

I'd say that it proves a point. A good team is better than the sum of its parts. The best player for the team might not be the "best" player.

But even then I was a bit surprised to see him in there. Maybe there's more than one Giaccherini? Or maybe he is actually good and his not playing is a reflection of why Sunderland are in so much trouble...

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 71
RE: European Championship - 6/14/2016 10:35:39 AM   
terje439

quote:

1. Hart is still the best choice in goal, but Forster has improved the situation a lot in recent times and I wouldn't complain if he was given the chance.
2. Rooney was made to look good as the Russians were fairly static. Against Wales he'd have been exposed. He's not as good as he thinks he is in midfield. But we must fit the captain in somehow.
3. Sturridge is probably the best forward England have in the squad if he's not broken.

1. I agree, he is the best choice, but what I ment is that some of the plays he made against Russia were those you see in a goalie you cannot trust (think David James). Dropping balls he should hold etc, this can easily make the defenders mistrust him, which is never good.

2. Depends upon what you want from an AM(C) imo. His pass completion was somewhere in the high 80s, which is quite good.

3. Not sure tbh. When he is good, he is GOOD. When he is not at his best, he is not that good (and I am a LFC fan ).

As to Lallana. Well, not sure what you want him to do, he broke through the defence often enough in the first half, and had some decent shots on goal as well. And he forced the Russians to always keep an eye on him, so atleast on my TV he did very well.

But being British, why do you not get The Doctor to use his Tardis and get back Shearer from his golden days?

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 72
RE: European Championship - 6/14/2016 1:00:43 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

1. Hart is still the best choice in goal, but Forster has improved the situation a lot in recent times and I wouldn't complain if he was given the chance.
2. Rooney was made to look good as the Russians were fairly static. Against Wales he'd have been exposed. He's not as good as he thinks he is in midfield. But we must fit the captain in somehow.
3. Sturridge is probably the best forward England have in the squad if he's not broken.

1. I agree, he is the best choice, but what I ment is that some of the plays he made against Russia were those you see in a goalie you cannot trust (think David James). Dropping balls he should hold etc, this can easily make the defenders mistrust him, which is never good.

2. Depends upon what you want from an AM(C) imo. His pass completion was somewhere in the high 80s, which is quite good.

3. Not sure tbh. When he is good, he is GOOD. When he is not at his best, he is not that good (and I am a LFC fan ).

As to Lallana. Well, not sure what you want him to do, he broke through the defence often enough in the first half, and had some decent shots on goal as well. And he forced the Russians to always keep an eye on him, so atleast on my TV he did very well.

But being British, why do you not get The Doctor to use his Tardis and get back Shearer from his golden days?

1. I think that's down to the situation where he's had no real competition for so long. A bit of complacency creeping in.
2. A pass completion in the high 80s in this game against a fairly static Russia. I doubt Wales would be so accommodating and the game would pass him by. Wales are a more dynamic side than Russia and he wouldn't be allowed the time on the ball.
3. I don't watch him week in, week out. But from what I have seen he's ahead of everyone except maybe Kane, but he's tired and not at his best right now.

Maybe Lallana is suffering because he's fully expected to be a bit rubbish. He's better than Jordan Henderson though, so that's in his favour I guess!

And Alan Shearer? I wouldn't bring him back 'cos he'd be sent off for elbowing someone in the face in his first match! He was a great player, at his time, but the interpretation of what is allowable has moved on a bit.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 73
RE: European Championship - 6/14/2016 1:13:54 PM   
TulliusDetritus

You guys are totally right about Belgium: so many individual quality but overall the team sucks. The thing is this was already proven during the last WC. I should have known better.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 74
RE: European Championship - 6/14/2016 1:24:30 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

You guys are totally right about Belgium: so many individual quality but overall the team sucks. The thing is this was already proven during the last WC. I should have known better.

after the end of season nastiness in the Premier League (between Spurs and Chelsea) I was wondering just how Belgium could play as a team. Certainly no love lost between the Spurs players and Hazard and then add on the enduring Flemish-French fracture.

Italy just ate them up yesterday with a classic display of effective (if sometimes illegal) defending and hitting fast on the break.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 75
RE: European Championship - 6/14/2016 2:03:22 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

after the end of season nastiness in the Premier League (between Spurs and Chelsea) I was wondering just how Belgium could play as a team. Certainly no love lost between the Spurs players and Hazard and then add on the enduring Flemish-French fracture.

You could very well be right, still I am not convinced. Just think about the very toxic relations between Real Madrid and Barcelona. Suffice to say that Mourinho was around -of course!-, doing all he humanly could (and more) to make sure they hated each others guts

Yet the assembled players (or hardcore enemies LOL) managed to bag Euros and WC. Or simply play like a team for that matter.

If we have to trust the players (why shouldn't we believe them), the "I am a professional, I will always do my best" is just the typical stuff they always say. I assume they keep their word.

Cheers

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 76
RE: European Championship - 6/14/2016 2:10:07 PM   
cohimbra

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Well done Italy though. Great character.

But what has happened to the national team when Giaccherini - yes him, who can't get in Sunderland's team - is a first choice for the national team??? Where have all the stars gone?

Italy don't have 'stars' now (luckly). About Giaccherini: he's a good player for sure, but depend on what Sunderland expect from him. If they think they buy Garrincha...well...but if they think they buy an honest player with tons of 'garra', is it. Conte was clear about player convocation this time: maybe poor tecnicians (tecnicamente, non so come si dice in inglese e non ho voglia di cercare), but with head, team spirit, running and scheme application (the opposite of Balotelli, to be clear). We'll see, yesterday I liked Italy match: good defense (without it you can't win nothing) and clear ideas on counterattack.

PS. I see England second half, and I liked very much Rooney 'alla Pirlo'. Good vision, good touch, good execution velocity. Well done.

< Message edited by cohimbra -- 6/14/2016 2:15:38 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 77
RE: European Championship - 6/14/2016 5:41:34 PM   
warspite1

What the .........?

What is the point in having a great strip if, when finally, after a billion years of non-qualifying for major championships, you don't wear it? Really looking forward to seeing the Mighty Magyars (or not so much anymore) in their cherry red shirts, white shorts and green socks and........... harumph

(in reply to cohimbra)
Post #: 78
RE: European Championship - 6/14/2016 5:42:21 PM   
warspite1

But on the plus side its good to hear the Austrian national anthem

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 79
RE: European Championship - 6/14/2016 6:49:03 PM   
Franciscus

Well, didn't see the game but I think that was the first result that noone predicted...the return of the Magyars ?

But now finally good soccer will begin shortly (hopefully )

< Message edited by Franciscus -- 6/14/2016 6:55:37 PM >

Former AJE team member

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 80
RE: European Championship - 6/14/2016 7:18:05 PM   
warspite1

Well just how appalling were Austria? Wow

Right as much as I want the minnows to do well, Ronaldo is in my fantasy team so a hat-trick in a 3-0 win would do very nicely thank-you

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 81
RE: European Championship - 6/14/2016 7:21:32 PM   
Orm

As long as there is a good, fair, referee that is not fooled by diving players, then I will be happy.

I am so tired of cheating both on and off the pitch.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 82
RE: European Championship - 6/14/2016 7:30:34 PM   
RFalvo69

Being Italian I'm obviously happy that our team is doing better than expected. However, I also feel that the news about Italy having already won the EuroCup (you should read the newspapers who dissed the team what are writing now ) are a bit exaggerated. Specifically:

- Against Belgium, Italy made the same mistake that England did with Russia: failing to close the match on the 1-0. Belgium attacked for the best part of the second half, and with a bit of luck they could have scored an equalizer.
- Hazard is a controversial player, but the Italian defense failed to block him properly. He built a lot of opportunities for Belgium, almost unmolested. Why he was allowed to play almost freely over and over is beyond me.
- More worryingly, Italy spent the last 10 minutes out of breath: another opportunity that Belgium failed to capitalise on, but they could have. Maybe we need to adjust a bit the training regime.

Anyway, a very good tournament all around. And I'm glad to see the Azzurri now being upgraded from "speedbump" to "the humble team that maybe will"

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 83
RE: European Championship - 6/14/2016 7:34:07 PM   
Orm

Italy should, never, ever, be underestimated. Especially when there are no "stars" in the team.

Well deserved win by Italy.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 84
RE: European Championship - 6/14/2016 7:40:42 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franciscus

Well, didn't see the game but I think that was the first result that noone predicted...the return of the Magyars ?

But now finally good soccer will begin shortly (hopefully )

I wish you good luck but as for our predictions competition, may you (in fact the lot of you) grab 0 points

I think I am going to try and watch the match (Port vs Ice). Let's see if it works.

By the way what are your predictions for this Euro 2016? To me it's either France or Germany. If I must say one, my money is on Germany. Not very original but that's how I see it.

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 85
RE: European Championship - 6/14/2016 10:10:30 PM   
warspite1

Well Group F really F'd up our predictions

Well done to Hungary and Iceland

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/14/2016 10:20:25 PM >

Post #: 86
RE: European Championship - 6/14/2016 10:50:10 PM   
Franciscus

quote:

Yep, indeed. Funny how no-one of us scored anything for the first time in a match day...

Nice wake up call (as usual) to my country's team. We were beginning to believe we could win this championship, but of course that will not happen, not with the lousy football we played tonight.

Amazingly (or not) our midfield sucked. We don't have a "brain" in the mid, and some players should not be playing (Moutinho was never that good and is past his prime, Danilo is second-class, Vieirinha can be pathetic sometimes). IMHO we have better players in the bench (William Carvalho, Adrien), to create a thinking midfield. The coach took too long to make replacements, and messed things up, João Mário should have stayed, and Renato Sanches should have been called much earlier.

Of course we may yet reach quarters (in fact it would be scandalous if we don't), but we will probably not go further...

Congratulations to Iceland and their supporters, great play and amazing support (I didn't knew their "viking" warchant, but it's amazing ! - probably some of Portugal's players wetted their pants...)
Respect !!

PS: Ronaldo's teeth look good ...

PPS: Who will win at the end ? Germany, of course...

< Message edited by Franciscus -- 6/14/2016 11:42:25 PM >

Former AJE team member

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 87
RE: European Championship - 6/15/2016 7:37:56 PM   
Orm

quote:

Indeed. I thought Iceland was a sure winner. Portugal surprised me.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 88
RE: European Championship - 6/15/2016 8:05:34 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

By the way what are your predictions for this Euro 2016? To me it's either France or Germany. If I must say one, my money is on Germany. Not very original but that's how I see it.

I have a sneaking suspicion about Italy. They will either win the thing or get knocked out early but they have been the best team I have seen so far.

Post #: 89
RE: European Championship - 6/16/2016 12:52:40 PM   
warspite1

The Battle of Britain 2016

May the best team win*

*So long as its England

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/16/2016 12:55:29 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: European Championship Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI