Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Red Phoenix

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Red Phoenix Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Red Phoenix - 6/27/2016 6:42:52 PM   
hawkeye_de

quote:

ORIGINAL: cf_dallas

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

quote:

ORIGINAL: hawkeye_de

I'm wondering why no decent novel is written yet concerning that in Europe we have a somewhat 'mild' cold war...what a pity that Tom Clancy isn't any longer with us....maybe he would have written a successor to RedStormRising (my all time favorite novel) ?

The Clancy franchise books written by Mark Greaney do (Command Authority and Commander in Chief) but its not what it used to be.

Coiler had a few good thoughts on what's going on with the genre on his blog and linked to another article on it.. Worth checking out here.

My take is that people have a ton of choices now so anybody doing anything entertainment is competing for the same pool of time and must focus on quality. This makes the measure of what gets published is higher. The way around that is self publishing that dumps you into a massive pool where its hard to stand out.

Mike

Coiler's post and the article he links to are both really good reads... thanks for posting the link.

I agree. Personally, I think there is still a market, it is not that there is no interest in the theme.
For instance, 'Twilight Struggle' was in the last 5-10 years the highest ranked/popular boardgame (English-speaking regions) and it's theme is just the struggle of the cold war.

(in reply to cf_dallas)
Post #: 31
RE: Red Phoenix - 6/27/2016 7:24:05 PM   
Airborne Rifles

quote:

ORIGINAL: apache85

I bought The War That Never Was and Sixth Battle as hysical copies off Amazon. Must say I'm enjoying reading a real book for a change!

I really enjoyed The War that Never Was. Lots of scenario fodder there, as some of the talented scenario designers here already know

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 32
RE: Red Phoenix - 6/27/2016 9:28:39 PM   
Excroat3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Airborne Rifles

quote:

I bought The War That Never Was and Sixth Battle as hysical copies off Amazon. Must say I'm enjoying reading a real book for a change!

I really enjoyed The War that Never Was. Lots of scenario fodder there, as some of the talented scenario designers here already know

My scenario based on TWTNW is already out, and I'm releasing my scenario based on The Sixth Battle as soon as the new DB releases

(in reply to Airborne Rifles)
Post #: 33
RE: Red Phoenix - 6/28/2016 2:39:06 AM   
Rory Noonan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Airborne Rifles

quote:

Almost finished with it. I'm really enjoying it and I think most on this forum would... However, it is written for the most part like a dry recounting of history interspersed with an occasional bit of story telling. That's fine, it's a book that essentially covers WW3 in the space of a novel so I understand it needs to be condensed.

From a broader audience point of view I think your NF AARs are a better read in many respects. I'd buy a novel written in the same style.

(in reply to Airborne Rifles)
Post #: 34
RE: Red Phoenix - 6/28/2016 6:46:36 PM   
hellfish6

I really liked The War That Never Was. Picked up the Red Phoenix Burning over the weekend and I like it so far.

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 35
RE: Red Phoenix - 6/30/2016 1:43:39 PM   
OnFire

The sequel, Red Phoenix burning is very good. It has many relateable personae dramatis and paints a realistic what-if scenario. The battles are very good written and immersive. I very much like that it features some characters from the original Red Phoenix (Kevin Little, Rhee, Tony Christopher). Overall, I would rate the series 8/10.

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Red Phoenix Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI