Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: tiemanj (A) vs njp72 (J) - Allied AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: tiemanj (A) vs njp72 (J) - Allied AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: tiemanj (A) vs njp72 (J) - Allied AAR - 10/5/2016 12:52:31 PM   
Encircled

All good as long as you know where his CVs.

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 61
RE: tiemanj (A) vs njp72 (J) - Allied AAR - 10/5/2016 4:01:14 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: tiemanj

Operation Wheatgrass:

Here is my current plan for Operation Wheatgrass. The objective is to seize 2 Kurile Islands in an effort to force him to respond. Once the islands are seized, most combat forces will be withdrawn. Once he gets serious about retaking them, what can be saved with subs and float planes will be.
In order to get the KB to respond, 2 CVs will remain in or near the op area. If he uses surface only forces, the CVs can move in. Should the mini KB show up, my CVs should be able to inflict significant damage to them. A 3rd CV will support the initial phases.
In addition, phase I will also occupy Attu, Adak, and Cold Bay to build up an air bridge to fly forces in from North America.
Phase II will liberate Amchitka. I'm not thrilled with this last part, but I need to kick the op off shortly, and the Amchitka force won't be ready for about a month.
Phase I will launch in about 6 days.

13 TFs will participate in the operation
TFs Rhino (Lex & Sara) and Badger (Hornet) will provide air cover for the Kurile and Aleutians
TF Tiger (2 CAs) will bombard Amchitka to suppress the air field.
SAG TFs Deathstalker (2 CAs) and Black Mamba (3 CLs) will cover the invasion / occupation forces
SAG Lion (DDs) will screen the Kurile forces

Fast Transport Beatle 1 will bring engineers to Attu in advance of Beatle 2 (Attu) and Honey Bee (Adak). Nothing special is planned for Cold Bay, just a base force to provide AV support for transiting A/C.

TF Spider will carry the Kurile forces where it will split into Tarantula (Assault Onnekotan), Black Widow (assault Shaukotan), Wolf Spider (followup forces for Onnekotan) and Redback (followup forces for Shaukotan).

Air support will be mostly from CVs. Each CV will have:
1 VF (27 A/C)
1 VMF (18 A/C)
1 VS (18 A/C)
1 VB (18 A/C)
1 VT (15 A/C)

A few Cat squadrons will be flown to Attu and supported by AVDs

P40s will be flown in once air fields are established.

Land forces include 2 regiments of the 27th Division, 53rd Sep Inf Rgt, and some defense Bns for muscle. Each base will get a base force with AV support and engineers. Onnekotan Jima will also get a CB Bn some costal guns and the 14th MAG.

Land forces are staging at Pearl and San Fran. The 2 forces will rendezvous NW of Midway Island and begin run in. They will split in the north Pacific about 200 nm west of Attu for their targets.

Any thoughts from the crowd?

You are at March 1942 and the IJN and IJAF is still vastly superior in ships and training. You will not be able to sustain supply to those islands in the Kuriles even if you achieve surprise and land unopposed. If you are prepared to lose what you land there, at best you get a six week diversion of a few of his forces.

Taking back the Aleutians is fine but I would just raid into the Kuriles or even Hokkaido/Sakhalin and then 'get outta Dodge' !

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 62
RE: tiemanj (A) vs njp72 (J) - Allied AAR - 10/5/2016 5:10:46 PM   
tiemanjw

quote:

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

Do we know where the IJN CV TFs are? ...where and when we last knew.

Subject to above I like it. What can be done to push back in the India or SoPac time zone in conjunction with the above?

A few days ago he bombed and torpedoed the 2 British BBs off Oman. They were spotted yesterday off Oman again by freshly arriving Cats. I see about 220+ bombers and about 120+ fighters listed on the mouse over. Each day, many kates are spotted by subs keeping watch on the area. This suggests to me all 6 big decks are there.
I had a plan to run in on him with a few DDs and a CL, but got spotted a day out. I'll try again in a few days.

I do suspect the mini KB at Truk... maybe Kwajalein. To that end, Yorktown and Enterprise are making radio noise around Canton. I'll also have a large convoy returning from NZ pass by and make some radio noise in a week or so.

I can't be sure, but I think the intel is as good as I can get at this time.

Little is being done in India. He has surrounded Bombay, and I am trying to engage the northern front with the British 18th and the 6th Australian (along with 2 Indian Bdes and 2 tank Bdes). The 70th British shows up in less than a week at Karachi to give this a bit more muscle.

In SoPac, I have occupied Noumea in force, and will expand to Espiritu Santo soon. The US 32nd will go to reinforce Fiji. Nothing spectacular, but logistics infrastructure is being built to give me options later.

The Canton & Baker invasions have been postponed to allocate resources for Wheatgrass, but they are still on the table once the initial phases are complete. The 2nd USMC is prepping for Tarawa.

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 63
RE: tiemanj (A) vs njp72 (J) - Allied AAR - 10/5/2016 5:22:42 PM   
tiemanjw

quote:

You are at March 1942 and the IJN and IJAF is still vastly superior in ships and training. You will not be able to sustain supply to those islands in the Kuriles even if you achieve surprise and land unopposed. If you are prepared to lose what you land there, at best you get a six week diversion of a few of his forces. Taking back the Aleutians is fine but I would just raid into the Kuriles or even Hokkaido/Sakhalin and then 'get outta Dodge' !

I hear you loud and clear, but I need to do something. He has blockaided India, and I need to get stuff in. I have some good British surface forces and a few CVs. This should work if he is surface and LBA only... but it is not enough to force an entry with the KB squatting off Oman. They need to move. The only way I can do that is to threaten him in a way he has to respond to.

This may be a unique opportunity:
Yes his A/C are better, but he can't do much from a size 2 AF. He has no infrastructure up there.
Yes his BBs are better, but a great BB is little match for an ok CV.
Yes his CAs are better, see above.

If his response is to simply build up infrastructure from Hokkaido through the Kuriles, I'll have an AF large enough to strike at Hokkadios industry before he retakes it.
If he tries surface forces only, I hope to be able to use CVs to inflict pain.
If he brings the KB, good - I can than ram men and material into India.

I have no intentions of trying to stay long term. I have no expectations of being able to hold. I need to move the KB away from Oman. I'm open to other suggestions on how to do it.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 64
RE: tiemanj (A) vs njp72 (J) - Allied AAR - 10/5/2016 5:23:50 PM   
tiemanjw

quote:

raid into the Kuriles or even Hokkaido/Sakhalin

Does anyone know if you get VPs for bombing industry on Sakhalin?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 65
RE: tiemanj (A) vs njp72 (J) - Allied AAR - 10/5/2016 8:13:56 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: tiemanj

quote:

raid into the Kuriles or even Hokkaido/Sakhalin

Does anyone know if you get VPs for bombing industry on Sakhalin?

It's not one of the four big Home Islands, but is part of Japan so I think so.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 66
RE: tiemanj (A) vs njp72 (J) - Allied AAR - 10/5/2016 8:58:12 PM   
Encircled

Where is his nearest base for KB replenishment?

I'm assuming he will have both AOs and AKEs as close as possible, but he might have to move away to replenish.

I've got to be honest, you don't have that many 4Es at this stage, he might not have to move the KB

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 67
RE: tiemanj (A) vs njp72 (J) - Allied AAR - 10/5/2016 10:48:31 PM   
tiemanjw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Where is his nearest base for KB replenishment?

I'm assuming he will have both AOs and AKEs as close as possible, but he might have to move away to replenish.

I've got to be honest, you don't have that many 4Es at this stage, he might not have to move the KB

I've spotted AOs a few times up north. And he doesn't need to worry about ammo as I haven't given him the opportunity to use much. He could replenish as close as Surat if he felt he needed to. Otherwise, every base south of Bombay is his.

I have about 50 4Es unrestricted that can be moved into NORPAC today. 75 in pools. Not a huge number, but enough to do some night fire bombing (or select industry targeting).

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 68
RE: tiemanj (A) vs njp72 (J) - Allied AAR - 10/6/2016 3:10:14 AM   
Crackaces

One difference between your game and my experience with this Indian Invasion is you are playing scenario #2. Thus your opponent has lots more free divisions to do the dirty work.
However, on the other hand .. the supply requirements to deploy these forces and keep them supplied in a DBB scenario presents its own challenges that has been documented multiple times by NJP72.
I feel that India presents a unique supply drain to the IJ .. that will become apparent.

I really like your idea of pushing the big bowl of jelly around where the IJ are not .. I think this will shake the empire in many places as he has to react ..

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 69
RE: tiemanj (A) vs njp72 (J) - Allied AAR - 10/6/2016 8:18:00 AM   
Encircled

I don't think think its a bad idea btw, it just that if his plan is to take Karachi and India, he's probably not to going to pull the KB out till he either achieved his aim or he feels he can no longer achieve it.

But you are right, you have to do something where the KB isn't.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 70
RE: tiemanj (A) vs njp72 (J) - Allied AAR - 10/6/2016 5:51:12 PM   
tiemanjw

A good day in India. 2 days of large scale dog fights (for '42 anyway) over the skies of Surat leave nearly 50 Oscars wrecked for the cost of 5 hurricanes and a pair of buffalos. Meanwhile, a commonwealth corps consisting of the 6th Australian and 18th British divisions with the 7th Armored in support isolates and smashes the Imperial Guards just south of Surat. The city is now surrounded and cut off. Another division waits inside the city (36th?) along with 4 other units I'm trying to identify now (I suspect support forces, maybe a regiment).

The only downer on the day is that RAAF Buffalo pilots valiantly give their lives to deliver Albacores to their attack runs. The Albacore pilots have been bragging of being crack torpedo pilots if only they would be allowed to strike at the Japanese. The Aussies die getting them to their attack runs without a scratch (twice), but they fail to score a single hit on the pair of BBs squatting at the mouth of the Gulf of Khambhat.

I'll have to be careful of these guys as I pursue the IJA northern flank.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 71
RE: tiemanj (A) vs njp72 (J) - Allied AAR - 10/24/2016 2:20:48 AM   
tiemanjw

4/26/42

Busy with real life, so lacking in updates recently.

Wheatgrass has commenced. Phase I is complete with Onnekotan and Shaukotan seized, Attu and Adak occupied with only light resistance thus far. Adak is already a size 1 AF and hosting fighters. Engineers are moving via fast transport from Adak to Attu to hasten the AF construction there. Once complete I'll have an air bridge back to CONUS.
Once I get supply off, I can start reloading transports with the 27th div and get the heck out of here. The sooner the better. So much to do... need to get the next operation going soon: Operation Citadel - retaking Canton, Baker, and occupy the lower Gilberts, rotating ships through their 4/42 upgrades, not to mention phase II of Wheatgrass (seize Amchitka).

On the other side of the world, the KB (or a strong portion of it) remains off the Oman coast. My guess is he has sent at least a portion of it back. Right now, I'm trying to sneak British CVs onto the map to launch Hurricanes to Karachi. Several P40Es arrive soon (but never soon enough). A handful of B17s are enroute to Cape Town (though most are awaiting the construction of AFs up north). The Aussie 7th is still waiting for a window to get in. On the plus side, PoW is done repairing and enroute to Aden. Should a window open up, she can do what she does best - eat 3 fish so transports don't have to! Hermes is on her way too where she will help ferry Hurricanes.
I nearly shot myself in the foot here. I tried to bag an isolated Japanese division, only to nearly get my two top divisions trapped. We escape this time, though not without damage. About 100 squads (British and Aussie) lost, but it could have been a lot worse. I'll retreat back to Karachi with my tail between my legs.
In Bombay we continue to give better than we take, though the forts have fallen twice now down to 3. There is little chance of relief. They have plenty of supply, ok AV but no firepower. From memory, he has 9 divisions in eastern India right now, so there just isn't much I can do... Bombay will fall - it is just a matter of when. Still more than 2 months before any more significant reinforcements arrive, and they come in at Aden.
What options do I have here? The Ganges valley is vulnerable to counter attack, but it would be vulnerable to a flanking attack and cut off. I'm not strong enough to fight the juggernaut on the east coast. With the KB floating nearby, reinforcements are unlikely. The only thing I can think of is grin and bear it while turtling in Karachi.

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 72
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: tiemanj (A) vs njp72 (J) - Allied AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI