Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Road Ahead (Subject to change)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> RE: The Road Ahead (Subject to change) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Road Ahead (Subject to change) - 4/16/2019 1:15:12 PM   
ringoblood

DDDRRRRRROOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 61
RE: The Road Ahead (Subject to change) - 4/16/2019 4:12:39 PM   
Jason Petho

So, where are things and why is it taking so long.

We are currently building scenarios and developing the enhanced Campaign Series Event Engine.

This involved writing scripts for each scenario, testing, rewriting, testing, rewriting, testing, rewriting and so on until the scenario plays as intended. In between the testing and rewriting there are times when the CSEE portion needs to be heavily modified (aka expanded) to cover unforeseen situations and ideas.

The whole point of this is to make playing against the AI actually challenging and interesting and provide a more immersive experience when you're playing.

Alas, this takes time and even more time to do it right.

Every day there is progress towards the finish line, but it is slow and steady.

The turtle wins the race, right?

(in reply to ringoblood)
Post #: 62
RE: The Road Ahead (Subject to change) - 4/16/2019 4:17:38 PM   
zakblood

yep, keep up the good fight and happy and steady is always best

Post #: 63
RE: The Road Ahead (Subject to change) - 4/16/2019 6:04:07 PM   
Jason Petho

Thank you, zakk!

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 64
RE: The Road Ahead (Subject to change) - 5/29/2019 12:07:51 PM   
LittleBen

quote:

We are currently building scenarios and developing the enhanced Campaign Series Event Engine. This involved writing scripts for each scenario, testing, rewriting, testing, rewriting, testing, rewriting and so on until the scenario plays as intended. In between the testing and rewriting there are times when the CSEE portion needs to be heavily modified (aka expanded) to cover unforeseen situations and ideas.

Yes it should be a great task to have a great event engine, but why not publishing the game without the great event engine, so that people could start playing it, while you still work on the event engine and put it in a future update to the game ??

I'm ready to buy the game, even without a tough AI opponent..all the more as it gives me the impression I'm good :)

PS: I played east/west front when they first came out but, with life going on I stopped a long time ago. Now I see that we can mod this game (that was impossible at the start..) and since one week I spent my time reading all about this subject !! By the way it's really interesting all the "Dev diary" !!! Nevertheless something is strange...when can't put a date out of the frame imposed !! It's surprising, we can't put what we want, make an invincible tank who fires 30 times a turn, but we can't modify the date !! Nor put the scenario in another bio…why ?

< Message edited by LittleBen -- 5/29/2019 12:15:06 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 65
RE: The Road Ahead (Subject to change) - 5/29/2019 4:21:54 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: LittleBen

Yes it should be a great task to have a great event engine, but why not publishing the game without the great event engine, so that people could start playing it, while you still work on the event engine and put it in a future update to the game ??

It's our primary selling feature and the feature we've put the most effort into, so it makes sense to include it to demonstrate the future of the Campaign Series.

quote:

I'm ready to buy the game, even without a tough AI opponent..all the more as it gives me the impression I'm good :)

We appreciate the support.

quote:

PS: I played east/west front when they first came out but, with life going on I stopped a long time ago. Now I see that we can mod this game (that was impossible at the start..) and since one week I spent my time reading all about this subject !! By the way it's really interesting all the "Dev diary" !!! Nevertheless something is strange...when can't put a date out of the frame imposed !! It's surprising, we can't put what we want, make an invincible tank who fires 30 times a turn, but we can't modify the date !! Nor put the scenario in another bio…why ?

Data and graphics are easily modifiable, the primary EXE's are not.

I'm not sure what this "Nor put the scenario in another bio" means. Nor which date you're referring to.

(in reply to LittleBen)
Post #: 66
RE: The Road Ahead (Subject to change) - 5/29/2019 4:59:56 PM   
LittleBen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

Data and graphics are easily modifiable, the primary EXE's are not. I'm not sure what this "Nor put the scenario in another bio" means. Nor which date you're referring to.

If we want to create a scenario...the date must be within 48 and 87 (I believe), we can't put 44, that's not really important, but surprising as we can take troops from 80 and put them in 48...

Also we could put the map only in "mediteranean" or "desert" bio, not another one, even if we put some new bitmap…

PS: another independant thing, I just saw that in CSME, we can't have the "visibility" shading from an unoccupied hex, but in JTCS it's possible...is it on purpose ?

Post #: 67
RE: The Road Ahead (Subject to change) - 5/29/2019 5:04:14 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

PS: another independant thing, I just saw that in CSME, we can't have the "visibility" shading from an unoccupied hex, but in JTCS it's possible...is it on purpose ?

Yes, a new thing since Middle East 1.0 IIRC: With Fog of War set ON, one no longer can check LoS from hexes without any friendlies providing eyes on the ground.

FoW=OFF, still available.

(in reply to LittleBen)
Post #: 68
RE: The Road Ahead (Subject to change) - 5/29/2019 5:17:01 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

If we want to create a scenario...the date must be within 48 and 87 (I believe), we can't put 44, that's not really important, but surprising as we can take troops from 80 and put them in 48...

Actually, in the scenario editor, you can.

You can start off with a June 1948 organizations, then change the date to June 1985 while still in the editor to have access to those organizations.

quote:

Also we could put the map only in "mediteranean" or "desert" bio, not another one, even if we put some new bitmap…

Logically so, as those are the current Middle East offerings.

(in reply to LittleBen)
Post #: 69
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> RE: The Road Ahead (Subject to change) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI