Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: If you could add one feature...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Requested Features and Ideas >> RE: If you could add one feature... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: If you could add one feature... - 10/20/2016 11:43:49 AM   
HeinzBaby

Sorry if this has been mentioned before,
Ambush/Hold Fire command.
Rather than firing at units that come into range at say approx, 1500m and destroying 1 or 2 units,
Hold fire till your unit is spotted or fire at will at 500-1000 meters and knockout 2-3 Units.

Heia Safari

(in reply to Jo van der Pluym)
Post #: 31
RE: If you could add one feature... - 10/20/2016 4:34:44 PM   
CapnDarwin

Jo and Heinzbaby, we are looking at a couple of new features to address this area.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to HeinzBaby)
Post #: 32
RE: If you could add one feature... - 10/20/2016 5:55:54 PM   
kipanderson

Hi,

ease of swapping type/mark/date of units in the editor.

So a shipped scenario is dated August '89 with M1A1 tank units. Swap the mark of tanks to M60A3s and have them automaticity deploy into the same locations as the shipped units.

A lot great scenarios that I would love to play set in say '83 or some such dated.

Fantastic wargame/simulation..
All the best,
Kip.

Post #: 33
RE: If you could add one feature... - 10/21/2016 2:41:12 AM   
CapnDarwin

Kip, that's something I want to be able to do myself and also swap nations. WE have a "tool" in Red Storm but it not to that level of functionality. I would like to get there for Southern Storm, but we need to see where all the other features and plans end up first.

(in reply to kipanderson)
Post #: 34
RE: If you could add one feature... - 10/21/2016 2:56:23 AM   
dwbennett

As suggested, by Capn Darwin, I've been playing "A Time to Dance" multiple times to get so I at least get a draw most of the time. I'm managing to do way better at protecting my force and even managed a 44% rating with 58% of my force remaining (while almost wiping out the Red forces except the arty units). My one frustration at the start of the scenario is having to order the three recon units to new bridge sites after the orignial bridges are blow from the initial orders. Several times the recon units are destroyed or at least made to abort their new orders because of enemy units attacking them.

I realize that it is probably hard to do but is there a way to have an order in a unit's cue for a move command after a blow bridge command? In other words, at the start of the scenario, a unit will be given two commands: 1) blow bridge XXXX and when that is complete, 2} the unit is given a move to command to Hex XXXX. I would envision that this would be the only time, and probably the only situation, that this kind of double command would occur in a game.

This whole idea comes from, at least in the "Dance" scenario, the 11th ACR knowing the area like the back of their hand. They would have known exactly which bridges needed blowing and, although not positively, which bridges should be blown first and which could have been blown a litte later. The idea that the recon (and engineers) would set around for a ½-hour waiting to be told to go to the next bridge and blow it is a little hard to take. That, somehow, doesn't sound like the elite troops they were nor the type of planning those troops would have done. (I've got a story about the 11th ACR but that can wait for later.)

As a side note, my combat engineer battalion in Darmstadt, besides the four line companies, had an ADM company (Atomic Demolition Company) attached to it. Talk about security around the barracks they occupied. We were told to not even look at that barracks let alone talk about it. I remember being told (by his driver) about our company CO traveling around looking at potential demolition sites for delaying, etc. any attacking force. Yeah, pretty serious stuff.

Don Bennett
Evanston, WY

Post #: 35
RE: If you could add one feature... - 10/21/2016 11:57:58 AM   
CapnDarwin

Don, we will be adding multi-order waypoints into Southern Storm. That will do the move to, blow bridge, run away much cleaner. Of course we will also be looking at the use of discreet engineering units/ functions too.

(in reply to dwbennett)
Post #: 36
RE: If you could add one feature... - 10/21/2016 1:29:33 PM   
dwbennett

Cool! Thanks, Jim.

Later,

Don Bennett
Evanston, WY

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 37
RE: If you could add one feature... - 10/21/2016 10:34:03 PM   
kipanderson

Capn Darwin,

"Kip, that's something I want to be able to do myself and also swap nations."

Thanks.. yup.. I do understand that time is limited. No problem.. lucky to have Flashpoint Campaigns at all.

All the best,
kip.

(in reply to dwbennett)
Post #: 38
RE: If you could add one feature... - 10/22/2016 1:47:05 AM   
CapnDarwin

Kip,

There is no doubt that we have a "features" list longer than time to get them all in and there will always be more cool ideas that descend from the combination of new features we do get in. It's pretty much a never-ending cycle, but we are good with that. We want to get the most meaningful things into the new game engine and then pepper in what we can to reach a point of release. After that with updates and DLCs we can continue to grow and add new things in the same way we did for Red Storm. Our hope is to really solidify what core game mechanics, make the game code more adaptive to inserting new features with out breaking things or needing a full up revamp similar to this one for Southern Storm. It should be a wild ride!

Post #: 39
RE: If you could add one feature... - 10/22/2016 2:25:16 PM   
kipanderson

Capn Darwin,

fans can be relentlessly demanding.. but you are used to that.. ; ).

All the best,
kip.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 40
RE: If you could add one feature... - 10/23/2016 7:31:07 AM   
Jo van der Pluym

I do miss sidearms. These where most used by men with heavy weapons and crews. And these where also used by most as a backup weapon.

Also I like to see how many of each weapon are in a team/squad etc

Example: A American 6 men Mech Inf squad 1973-1989

5 M16 Rifles: 2 Area, range 400 m. /90 ammo (SA)
1 M60 LMG: 2 Area, range 600 m. /90 ammo (SW)
1 M203 40mm GL: 4 HEAT, 2 Area, range 350 m. /44 ammo (SW)
6 M72 LAWs: 24 HEAT, 2 Area, range 150 m. (SW)
1 M1911A1 Pistol: 1 Area, range 50 m. / 14 ammo (SA)
8 Hand Grenades: 3 Area, range 50 m. (SA) (each men 2 grenades except the bearer of the M60 and de M203)

Greetings from the Netherlands

Jo van der Pluym
CrazyDutch

Post #: 41
RE: If you could add one feature... - 10/23/2016 7:44:12 AM   
Jo van der Pluym

That a unit with towed artillery and heavy weapons (Medium/heavy Mortars, MMG/HMG, Medium/Heavy AT/ATGM, FLAK) exist out the weapon/tube and crew. If the weapon/tube is damaged/destroyed then the crew can fight further or manned another weapon/tube.
If the crew is destroyed or abandoment the weapon/tube another crew (or a enemy crew) can manned the weapon/tube

Greetings from the Netherlands

Jo van der Pluym
CrazyDutch

Post #: 42
RE: If you could add one feature... - 10/23/2016 3:14:25 PM   
jack54

quote:

ORIGINAL: kipanderson

Hi,

ease of swapping type/mark/date of units in the editor.

So a shipped scenario is dated August '89 with M1A1 tank units. Swap the mark of tanks to M60A3s and have them automaticity deploy into the same locations as the shipped units.

A lot great scenarios that I would love to play set in say '83 or some such dated.

Fantastic wargame/simulation..
All the best,
Kip.

I've already mentioned my ONE feature but I love Kip's editor idea.... let's call it 1A.

Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)

Post #: 43
RE: If you could add one feature... - 10/23/2016 6:43:51 PM   
kipanderson

jack54,

thanks..

But not an original idea sadly.

All the best,
kip.

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 44
RE: If you could add one feature... - 10/28/2016 12:44:20 AM   
RangerX3X

This may seem like a minor thing but I would like to be able to issue a move order to a counter and one of the options along with hold, screen, etc., would be to blow the bridge I place the waypoint at.

Post #: 45
RE: If you could add one feature... - 10/28/2016 1:55:47 AM   
CapnDarwin

Yep we talked about that when adding end state orders and decided not to have the engineering orders there. With the already heavy abstraction we wanted the player to have to issue that fresh order. It will be both more and less of an issue in Southern Storm with some discreet engineering assets to use.

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 46
RE: If you could add one feature... - 11/3/2016 2:07:30 AM   
maple61

The Scenario Editor needs an easy way to switch platforms within the same "SU Type" once the formation is placed on the map. It would be great if you could easily swap all your, lets say, T-80B[m] to T-64B1V or M1A1 to M60A3. Right now you need to delete the whole formation to make a change.
Thanks for all the hard work with the upgrade!
Cheers,
A. "Zed" Baird

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 47
RE: If you could add one feature... - 11/4/2016 9:34:01 PM   
Tazak

Scenario Editor - I'd like to be able to adjust resupply time and readiness reduction values much like the training/readiness stats on the national tab

AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO

(in reply to maple61)
Post #: 48
RE: If you could add one feature... - 11/4/2016 10:40:47 PM   
CapnDarwin

Tazak, you can change ammo, training, morale and readiness values for any unit or group of of units now? I can see tweaking resupply times and even stuff in certain cases.

(in reply to Tazak)
Post #: 49
RE: If you could add one feature... - 11/5/2016 3:57:41 PM   
JPFisher55

I would like to see some method of adjusting the lethality of artillery, infantry toughness and vehicle toughness like the Steel Panthers series includes.

Post #: 50
RE: If you could add one feature... - 11/6/2016 4:41:51 AM   
mattdbook

I would add the ability to weight targeting for certain kinds of enemies. All too often I have M1's merrily blowing up BMP's and heavy machine guns while a company of T80's is closer and charging right at them wide in the open. This seems simply insane!! It would be nice to tell my tanks to kill the things that can kill them.

Another nice option would be to give a battery a fire mission to automatically run once they are done with resupply, instead of having to rely on staff targeting or wait until the next order phase.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 51
RE: If you could add one feature... - 11/14/2016 12:59:11 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jo van der Pluym

That a unit with towed artillery and heavy weapons (Medium/heavy Mortars, MMG/HMG, Medium/Heavy AT/ATGM, FLAK) exist out the weapon/tube and crew. If the weapon/tube is damaged/destroyed then the crew can fight further or manned another weapon/tube.
If the crew is destroyed or abandoment the weapon/tube another crew (or a enemy crew) can manned the weapon/tube

Weapons crews with damaged equipment normally leave a battle. They don't run around looking for somewhere else to fight. They are taught to either go to ground or leave.

Hollywood would have you believe that everyone is a hero. In actual situations the opposite is normally true. That's why heroes are so unusual.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

Post #: 52
RE: If you could add one feature... - 11/14/2016 3:13:01 PM   
cbelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: mattdbook

I would add the ability to weight targeting for certain kinds of enemies. All too often I have M1's merrily blowing up BMP's and heavy machine guns while a company of T80's is closer and charging right at them wide in the open. This seems simply insane!! It would be nice to tell my tanks to kill the things that can kill them.

Another nice option would be to give a battery a fire mission to automatically run once they are done with resupply, instead of having to rely on staff targeting or wait until the next order phase.

Unfortunately in Red Storm, the targeting is hardcoded in by the programmers. I feel your pain, we have had numerous discussions about this within the OTS team. There are those of us who feel the same way and that the programmers chose the wrong priorities in targeting for tanks. We hope to fix that in Southern Storm and give more control to the player. I have said some bad things about the programmers when my tanks attack lightly skinned recon/IFV when there were tanks within range getting ready to kill mine.

(in reply to mattdbook)
Post #: 53
RE: If you could add one feature... - 11/14/2016 11:55:43 PM   
Zakalwe101

OB - I'd like to have the ability to re-size it wider and bigger, currently it only re-sizes length ways, it would be useful to be able to see the whole OB in a bigger box to make subordination easier.

Post #: 54
RE: If you could add one feature... - 11/15/2016 12:12:19 AM   
CapnDarwin

Info panels in Southern Storm will be moveable/dockable items so you can adjust them, drag to another monitor, etc.

(in reply to Zakalwe101)
Post #: 55
RE: If you could add one feature... - 11/15/2016 1:16:36 PM   
harry_vdk

User preference for disable of the switch-on of the numlock.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 56
RE: If you could add one feature... - 11/15/2016 5:14:34 PM   
Johnners

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

Info panels in Southern Storm will be moveable/dockable items so you can adjust them, drag to another monitor, etc.

That will be great! It's a feature I really appreciate in Command Ops, and miss in other games, so to see it in Southern Storm is exciting.

On a completely different tack, would it be possible to alter the "fire animation" to indicate which weapons are in use? I appreciate that there is an audio cue, and the ATGM message, but perhaps a dashed line could represent automatic fire? A small thing, I guess, but it would add a bit of variation.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 57
RE: If you could add one feature... - 11/17/2016 2:57:57 PM   
CapnDarwin

Grognerd, the scenario editor is seeing the biggest overhaul and additions of new features, but a map maker is not one of them. We will have, as we do now, a Map Values Editor which we will be improving for Southern Storm. The maps we have for the game done by William take tools and time that go beyond a simple drop art in hex editor. We are looking at ways to make map making an easier thing for folks to do, but it won't be a part of Southern Storm at release. It's not a dead item at all. Just a tough one to figure out.

Post #: 58
RE: If you could add one feature... - 11/17/2016 3:46:40 PM   
kevinkins

Perhaps bundle the third party tools Developers use to make scenarios into a "Pro" edition at win-win-win price point for everyone.

Kevin

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 59
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Requested Features and Ideas >> RE: If you could add one feature... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI