Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 4/29/2003 8:24:02 AM   
Drex

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SoulBlazer
[B]Which part of Leyte are we talking about? Surigao Strait was one of the last old fashioned surface clashes and a great victory. The battle off Samar SHOULD have been a crushing Japanese victory except, in the words of the Combined Fleet website, "combination of exhaustion, crummy visibility, relentless air attacks, and an American destroyer screen that fought like wolves over their cubs" spoiled their chance. [/B][/QUOTE] Exactly greg. the battle of Leyte Gulf was 3 battles: Surigao Straits, Samar and Cape Engano. this is the over-complexity that I am talking about. Ozawa's sacrificial bait worked but perhaps Nishimura couold have aided Kurita. Surprise was lost at Surigao but San Bernadinao Straits was wide open. But without air support Kurita was doomed.

(in reply to rich91a)
Post #: 31
- 4/29/2003 10:38:35 AM   
Tanaka

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Snigbert
[B][B]Interesting command structure. You plan to divide the IJN into "surface fleets" and "air fleets" with independent commanders not under Yamamoto's centralized control? Hmm. Also, how good is Tanaka going to be at strategy? I always see him on the admiral's bridge of a task force flagship.[/B]

I'm not sure if this is what he meant, but the Japanese Navy did have 'Air Fleets' during the war, which were comprised of wings of aircraft but no ships. Although I dont know why he would put Yamamoto or Yamaguchi in charge of them. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yamaguchi and Tanaka under Yamamotos overall control of course! And by air fleets I mean carrier task forces :)

(in reply to rich91a)
Post #: 32
- 4/29/2003 10:54:58 AM   
pasternakski

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tanaka
[B]Yamaguchi and Tanaka under Yamamotos overall control of course! And by air fleets I mean carrier task forces :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Ah, the definitive word from the glorious "tenacious" Tanaka. How old are you by now, Admiral? About 110 or so?

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to rich91a)
Post #: 33
- 4/29/2003 12:33:26 PM   
Mike_B20

Lol, if the legendary Yamamoto was alive, played UV and visited and discussed on this forum, the veterans here would be quietly correcting and encouraging the newbie to KISS (keep it simple stupid), concentrate his forces, scout and keep trying, he'll get it right one day.
:D

Never give up, never surrender

(in reply to rich91a)
Post #: 34
- 4/30/2003 4:00:19 AM   
Tanaka

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike_B20
[B]Lol, if the legendary Yamamoto was alive, played UV and visited and discussed on this forum, the veterans here would be quietly correcting and encouraging the newbie to KISS (keep it simple stupid), concentrate his forces, scout and keep trying, he'll get it right one day.
:D [/B][/QUOTE]

And telling me that I should have kept my mouth shut!!! :D

(in reply to rich91a)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI