Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds..

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. - 6/17/2017 8:53:46 PM   
Bingeling

Google is your friend. I have no clue if it works (or matters if it does), though:

https://www.howtogeek.com/121775/how-to-force-windows-applications-to-use-a-specific-cpu/

(in reply to Shogouki)
Post #: 31
RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. - 6/19/2017 2:15:59 PM   
Siddham

Look into what background programs are running; antivirus programs especially can slow things down
Look at what programs are starting automatically with Windows and reset those you dont need not to run
The key element with DW is not how many cores you have but how fast the individual cores are
Also game speed will impact on the CPU considerably so play at slower speeds

(in reply to Shogouki)
Post #: 32
RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. - 6/25/2017 7:40:47 PM   
Shark7

VS is the #1 culprit I have when it comes to slowing the machine to a crawl. So long as VS is not running, the game runs well for me.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Siddham)
Post #: 33
RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. - 6/26/2017 1:06:08 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

VS is the #1 culprit I have when it comes to slowing the machine to a crawl. So long as VS is not running, the game runs well for me.

what "VS"is .. ???

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 34
RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. - 6/26/2017 3:22:53 AM   
SeanThornton

I assume VS is virus scanner.

And if so, I'm kinda curious, what VS are you using, and what are your PC specs? Cause I haven't had to turn off a VS to improve performance in over 15 years. Something doesn't sound right.

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 35
RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. - 6/26/2017 9:40:42 PM   
Shark7

VS = Virus Scanner, or Anti-Virus Software.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to SeanThornton)
Post #: 36
RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. - 6/26/2017 9:43:44 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeanThornton

I assume VS is virus scanner.

And if so, I'm kinda curious, what VS are you using, and what are your PC specs? Cause I haven't had to turn off a VS to improve performance in over 15 years. Something doesn't sound right.

AVG and since the latest updates its really gotten sluggish. Bear in mind I still run Win 7, and obviously software is now being optimised for Win 10.

But I do have an I7 core 3.5 ghz with 16 RAM. I think the main thing is system age, is over 5 years old.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to SeanThornton)
Post #: 37
RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. - 6/26/2017 10:40:00 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

thank you both

ps: I play Distant Worlds: Universe with a 11 years old pc with only 2 GB RAM..

< Message edited by Hattori Hanzo -- 6/26/2017 10:41:55 PM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 38
RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. - 9/3/2017 6:10:48 AM   
Blabsawaw22

Just in case anyone ever even reads this thread again, The only thing I've found helpful to Distant Worlds is CPU tuning (like Overclocking or Intel Exteme Tuning Utility ** Do not overclock unless you really know what you are doing!)

The other Safe thing that only helps with loading times of save games is Runing it off of SSD or even a Ramdisk. But if you have SSD, it's pointless to setup Distant Worlds on a RamDisk..

Sure you can Turn off your Virus Scanner and any other programs for a Clean boot, but it runs down to a fast video card, fastest CPU in the World, and for loading/saving games, the Fastest SSD.

This game is not 64bit, so memory is stuck at what it is. Having 16 gigs of Ram doesn't help a single thing.

That's my result.

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 9/3/2017 6:11:45 AM >

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 39
RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. - 9/4/2017 6:45:40 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blabsawaw22

Just in case anyone ever even reads this thread again, The only thing I've found helpful to Distant Worlds is CPU tuning (like Overclocking or Intel Exteme Tuning Utility ** Do not overclock unless you really know what you are doing!)

The other Safe thing that only helps with loading times of save games is Runing it off of SSD or even a Ramdisk. But if you have SSD, it's pointless to setup Distant Worlds on a RamDisk..

Sure you can Turn off your Virus Scanner and any other programs for a Clean boot, but it runs down to a fast video card, fastest CPU in the World, and for loading/saving games, the Fastest SSD.

This game is not 64bit, so memory is stuck at what it is. Having 16 gigs of Ram doesn't help a single thing.

That's my result.

I'm not sure that the RAM isn't an issue. All I can say for sure is that with this newer computer with 16 gigs of RAM versus the old one with only 4, I do not have crashes when trying to load save games. The 4 would always give an 'out of memory' error when trying to load a large saved game, the 16 has never given me that message.

While the game itself can't use the additional memory, with 16 available, all the memory the game needs is available to it, while the other 12 runs the Windows/AVS/Etc stuff in the background.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Blabsawaw22)
Post #: 40
RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. - 9/4/2017 8:31:29 PM   
Blabsawaw22

quote:

I'm not sure that the RAM isn't an issue. All I can say for sure is that with this newer computer with 16 gigs of RAM versus the old one with only 4, I do not have crashes when trying to load save games. The 4 would always give an 'out of memory' error when trying to load a large saved game, the 16 has never given me that message.

While the game itself can't use the additional memory, with 16 available, all the memory the game needs is available to it, while the other 12 runs the Windows/AVS/Etc stuff in the background.

I'm no super expert, but I've been around computers and performed some ridiculous tweaks and troubleshooting in regards to games, and here is what I can tell you.

1. Lack of Ram shouldn't cause errors like loading games especially since they made this game 32bit and I have a feeling that maybe Your old system, (with only 4 gigs of Ram) had it's memory been eaten up by service/running background programs.

Think about it, your windows system uses maybe 1gig of Ram always, already leaving you with 3gigs now free, and then we have to calculate what other programs/backgrounds use your RAM of the 3gigs left etc..

so, the only thing you can do is work with the Pagefile, which uses your Harddrive as extra Ram when needed.
I mean your pagefile is essentially used as RAM when you are out of Ram, so to test this, go back to your old computer and set the pagefile to 16gigs.. and load a game of Distant Worlds. Technically you shouldn't get that error loading if this is the case.

If you still get the error, its bad programming and/or a bad ram block..

What Having 16 gigs of ram does help with, is having open a ton of programs, like having 20+ pages of Internet Explorer or Firefox or Chrome open.

It will not however increase your CPU speed. Your CPU needs to constantly be slowed down the more you have open and running in the background. Remember that, Ram does not help at all when trying to free your CPU up.. You can clearly see this in Task Manager and Resource Manager (in windows 8.1, I don't know Win10 yet.)

Point is, you need Fastest CPU to have a good experience in Distant Worlds late-game etc.. with the least amount of programs running in the background. 4gigs of Ram shouldn't cause any problems unless, as explained earlier, your system is using up too much of it.

Hope this helps a little and please do correct me if you see something at fault/wrong here.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 9/4/2017 8:33:16 PM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 41
RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. - 9/5/2017 2:59:59 AM   
Shark7

There is no going back to the old computer, it died to a lightning strike that hit my house years ago (2011-12 or so). However, I am watching my stats as my current game save loads, and its using about 1GB of RAM. Plus having the browser open, and the other background services (that I often question the necessity of). Know this, I don't bother tweaking my system. Too complicated these days, too much stuff I'm far behind on tech wise. And as I typed this the load finished with DW using about 1.2GB of RAM total.

Probably had a bunch of stuff running on the old computer...or rather it was just old and needed replacing, and the lightning strike forced that issue.

Distant Worlds Fan

Post #: 42
RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. - 9/5/2017 5:37:53 AM   
Blabsawaw22

quote:

There is no going back to the old computer, it died to a lightning strike that hit my house years ago (2011-12 or so). However, I am watching my stats as my current game save loads, and its using about 1GB of RAM. Plus having the browser open, and the other background services (that I often question the necessity of). Know this, I don't bother tweaking my system. Too complicated these days, too much stuff I'm far behind on tech wise. And as I typed this the load finished with DW using about 1.2GB of RAM total.

Probably had a bunch of stuff running on the old computer...or rather it was just old and needed replacing, and the lightning strike forced that issue.

Wow, a lightning strike, that's a new one for me. That's crazy. Glad you are ok.

Well, I know it's not your cup of tea, but if you ever want me to walk you through optimizing your system, I'm always here. It's not as bad as you may think. As long as you have an SSD hard drive your good to go with loading fast. (like saved games) But if you ever want to really see what's running, I can show you.

Use basically just use Task manager and Services.msc (in the Run command from start menu.. or command prompt but with admin privileges..)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 9/5/2017 5:44:33 AM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 43
RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. - 9/6/2017 7:40:27 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blabsawaw22

quote:

Wow, a lightning strike, that's a new one for me. That's crazy. Glad you are ok.

Well, I know it's not your cup of tea, but if you ever want me to walk you through optimizing your system, I'm always here. It's not as bad as you may think. As long as you have an SSD hard drive your good to go with loading fast. (like saved games) But if you ever want to really see what's running, I can show you.

Use basically just use Task manager and Services.msc (in the Run command from start menu.. or command prompt but with admin privileges..)

Yeah, the lightning was interesting to say the least. My best guess is it struck the cable lead in on the eve of the house. Took out the computer and modem outright, and the TV died a few weeks later. I was standing by the computer when the power supply went with a very loud bang that left my ears ringing for the next couple of days. I was literally so stunned I just froze for a minute or two. So now its just a matter of habit that anytime there is even the slightest chance of a thunderstorm the computer and modem are unplugged from the power and cable. Can't be damaged if it's not hooked up. TVs are relatively cheap, so I don't worry about it so much.

As far as tweaking, I didn't even upgrade to Win 10 (still running 7), and I don't have an SSD. I could upgrade and tweak, but like I said anymore its a bit above my tech level. And I really haven't needed to with this rig. If I ever do, I'll be sure to ask for help.

Distant Worlds Fan

Post #: 44
RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. - 9/6/2017 8:34:32 PM   
Blabsawaw22

That's wild about the lightning.

I wonder if having surge protectors or even the ADA power packs would have helped anything. Probably not.

Also in the last message, you mentioned you don't have an SSD. Buying one of those does wonders, to not even just games, but every single thing you do on the computer. A good example is how long you wait for windows to load up. With SSD you can be running full in Windows after you press the power button in as little as 7-15 seconds or probably even less. I'll do a test sometime with mine. I have a laptop.

From the time it takes to load your computer up, to installing things, to loading anything from the Harddrive. I just bought two SSD's for my parents and they are shocked at the difference in speed between what they used to have.

And this is what I bough them! cheap! (it really depends on how much space you'll need, my parents just browse the internet and emails, they don't save games or documents/movies/music/pictures, so they don't need 260GB or 500Gb space)

-You can choose between TLC and MLC and also choose the size bigger but then costs go up of course.

TLC is just a newer but not as "trusted" as MLC version. MLC supposedly lasts longer but nobody can really prove it! It's kinda like the studies on smoking and cancer..

You'd probably need 200+ GB size.. And the the install is as simple as unplugging the cables and plugging them back in. Ofcourse the unscrewing screws on your computer is the worst part.

**Edit** Actually I believe I bought this one! but either will be a huge improvement you will be shocked. No pun intended.

1. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D4AVN3G/ref=psdc_1292116011_t3_B01EV6TG30?th=1

And here is a quick demonstration of each type of Hard Drive in action.. You'll notice the SSD. And this video is old!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iBhf8rpobo

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 9/6/2017 8:46:23 PM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 45
RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. - 9/7/2017 2:39:28 AM   
Shark7

Surge protectors did not help with the lightning. Honestly with the amps a lightning bolt strikes with, I don't think anything would help with a direct hit like that.

Distant Worlds Fan

Post #: 46
RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. - 9/27/2017 9:42:59 AM   
Galahad78

I used a software tool, AlacrityPC, some time ago with my old rig when I needed to get those extra MHz of CPU or Mb of RAM. It allows you to "disconnect" those background services and stuff who eats at your PC resources without you knowing it. You could have different profiles for different games - for example, if you do not need Internet connection for a game, you can disconnect all net related services.

Worked quite fine for me - could get those extra FPS that made Skyrim playable (on low detail, of course )

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 47
RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. - 9/27/2017 12:43:02 PM   
Blabsawaw22

Thanks for replying. Do you think that is the latest program today? I usually disabled services manually but it would be much easier if I use a program like that.

(in reply to Galahad78)
Post #: 48
RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. - 10/4/2017 11:51:37 AM   
Dipluz

In todays world where almost everyone has 3.3GHZ multicore CPUs and at least 8GB of RAM. It is very hard to do anything about the performance of a 32-Bit game.
That on a 15x15 - 1400Star Galaxy with 10+ Empires will not 1# lag mid to late game. 2# Crash like a mad man on savegames and autosaves.

You can turn off all the services and applications you want. And set DW to run on a single core. one of yur main problems is that then you also need to shuffle all other processes and applications to different CPU cores too.

tips:

* Have a 3.5GHZ CPU++
* Have at least 8-16GB Ram so you can dedicate all the memory a 32-BIT application can eat which is 3~ GB.
* Dont run Galaxies larger than 10x10 with 800Stars
* Vanilla usually runs faster than modded DW even though the mods is what makes the game great after all the years of replays.
* LAAR fixes has never solved any savegame/autosave crashes for me once the ram is out.

I know this sucks but hey DW2 is on the way :D

Post #: 49
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: 16 Gigs Ram and Distant Worlds.. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI