Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 6/29/2003 9:19:35 AM   
Flying fortress

Either way it goes, I believe that the aircraft's attributes have way too much impact on the outcome of battles. Right now playing the US against Japanese AI, all I have done is hold on until the F4Us showed up on the scene---low morale&Experience&High Fatigue--I have them based at PM flying at 90%CAP daily, no matter what the weather.

Right now, I have 4 f4u squadrons and all have morale in the 10s, fatigue anywhere from 20~40s and experience in the 60s and 50s, a few 70s or 80s. It's like a miracle or something, these planes. Because even when i had only one squad of f4us, about 18 cap on lucky day--usually 10--they intercept a fleet of Japanese planes(raid of about 150~180fighters and about 50~120 bombers) and shoot down about 30~50 fighters and down probably 10~25 bombers each time, and every once in a while, I will lose a f4u to ops damage, but none against enemy action. This is nuts...... Maybe they are equipped with one of those plasma rays and some AIM-7 sparrows and AIM-9 sidewinders or invisible paint jobs, because I never usually lose corsairs, but I'm getting huge numbers of kills against the Japanese. I'm feeling like I'm cheating or something. In a week, the corsair squads are credited with over 200 kills against huge odds as far as numbers, skill level, and morale. Some thing has be done about this.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 61
- 6/29/2003 9:36:41 PM   
Luskan

Corsairs are over the top - especially since they are still a single engine plane. I can understand that lightnings and twin enginer reliability gives them a much better survivability out in the pacific. Corsairs should suffer higher op losses etc.

As for how to beat the rising allied air power? Stay out of reach - seriously. Once Irau falls to the US - get your base forces and fighters as far back as Russell - if not Vila and Shortlands.
When you loose PM - get out of GG, Dobadura, Lae, Buna etc (you probabyl already have to escape the allied level bombers).

Your longer range is your best weapon as the IJN.

With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 62
- 7/2/2003 9:57:45 PM   
crsutton

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cap_and_gown
[B]I will make this one observation about the database. The Corsair is given a manuver rating of 36 which is actually higher than the Zero's 34. I don't know how manuver is factored into the air-to-air routines, but it does seem a bit odd to have the Corsair rated higher than the Zero. Perhaps if the Corsair's manuver was reduced to 34 it would suffer an occasional loss. [/B][/QUOTE]

Cap,

You have to remember that the corsair was designed fly and fight at speeds in excess of 300 mph, as were all of the 2nd generation fighters. At high speeds the corsair was exceptionally more maneuverable than the zero, which excelled at low speed turning but was a veritible pig at high speeds. Therein lies the problem for the zero. Designed for the previous war, it was a beautiful and excellent plane, but hopelessly (and I mean hopelessly) outclassed by late 1943 by superior Allied planes. Actually the designers have it right, it sounds funny but really most all of the later allied fighters were more maneuverable than the zero but only because they were flying fast.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 63
- 7/2/2003 10:49:22 PM   
AmiralLaurent

I believe that air combat in UV is following the same rules as in BTR (same engine or nearly).

Maneuvrability is not only your ability to perform turns and acrobatics, in game terms it is your ability to escape an opponent fire by movement, so also including speed.

By 1943, Allied pilots have learned to not fly low speed turning fights with Zeroes. High speed bounces were far more successful.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 64
Reality - 7/3/2003 4:51:18 AM   
herbieh

Ive been reading some 1st hand accounts from the crew of HMAS Manoora as they fought through late 43 to 44, the poor jap loss rate was horrendous. There is a tale where one of the TF commanders requested a aircraft carrier to use as bait to lure the remains of the Japanese airforces into battle, so confident they were of killing them.
I keep reading of 50 plus japanese aircraft attacking, and loosing half there numbers , without scoring a kill themselves

It is depressing, but IMHO UV seems to have got it right.
For WITP I do hope though that if I save some experienced pilots when the zeros can be replaced the pilots experience will help a bit, and if I am carefull, I can score some successful attacks of my own.

Slightly off topic, playing against the AI last night, scored very heavily against B17s -- a low level strafing mission with loads of betties, nells and zeroes did the trick!
I wonder where wobbly is hiding his?

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 65
- 7/4/2003 4:00:44 AM   
Nikademus

The loss rate during the time period specified is tied directly to the poor quality of the replacement pilots who were being shipped in, not the the plane stats.

Certainly that was the case by the time Allied strategists began 'joking' that they wanted to find ways to lure the enemy out onto the field of battle so that they could exterminate them.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 66
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI