Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Kolberg - The Movie

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Kolberg - The Movie Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Kolberg - The Movie - 2/26/2017 10:11:36 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight

quote:

The nonsensical position of those Nazis who denied they 'knew' (or denied agreeing with the Final Solution) asserting that that somehow absolved them of guilt was, ironically, put most eloquently by Heydrich in the quite brilliant film Conspiracy:

Heydrich: [to Kritzinger] Well then, this is the moment to be... practical, until such time as Germany can afford your philosophy, which is what? Hound them, impoverish them, exploit them, imprison them - just do not _kill_ them, and you are God's noblest of men. I find that, uh, truly remarkable.

Actually 'Conspiracy' was a darn good movie. What made it so chilling was how casual they were about eradicating a race of people.

warspite1

Indeed. The fact that so many around that table were university educated men calmly discussing the wholesale slaughter of an entire people is profoundly shocking.

The Nazis always found collaborators, in every country.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 31
RE: Kolberg - The Movie - 2/27/2017 12:25:20 AM   
Agathosdaimon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

perhaps they didnt check, and rather just only checked to make sure the author was not jewish or such, and perhaps the work of Fichte was never in question by the nazis either, i was just thinking about how they had devoted so much attention to just the White Rose students earlier, but as you say Germany was still not in total war mode in 1941 and things were probably sloppier then what the image of the totalitarian regime would put in our minds.

I very much doubt it. The Nazis moved very quickly to completely control German life as soon as they gained power in 1933. You couldn't join a stamp collecting club without it being approved by the government.

Cheers, Neilster

Thanks Neilster - that was my initial view, they were pretty quick to clamp down everywhere early on - at every work site, business, university campus etc - Victor Klemperer writes about this in his diaries from the period. I would think that something like Alfred Kroener Verlag which was a sizable publisher would be one they would monitor. certainly there are no publications that are critical of the nazis in this period coming out of germany so far as i know of

whether this was still the case in 1941 though i am wondering if it was so - I have a book on the way Behemoth: Struktur und Praxis des Nationalsozialismus 1933-1944, that might shed some light on things further

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 32
RE: Kolberg - The Movie - 2/27/2017 12:25:36 AM   
Zorch

A very good movie about the Warsaw Uprising is Warsaw '44 (Miasto 44 in Polish). It has subtitles.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 33
RE: Kolberg - The Movie - 2/27/2017 1:22:05 AM   
Neilster

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

perhaps they didnt check, and rather just only checked to make sure the author was not jewish or such, and perhaps the work of Fichte was never in question by the nazis either, i was just thinking about how they had devoted so much attention to just the White Rose students earlier, but as you say Germany was still not in total war mode in 1941 and things were probably sloppier then what the image of the totalitarian regime would put in our minds.

I very much doubt it. The Nazis moved very quickly to completely control German life as soon as they gained power in 1933. You couldn't join a stamp collecting club without it being approved by the government.

Cheers, Neilster

Thanks Neilster - that was my initial view, they were pretty quick to clamp down everywhere early on - at every work site, business, university campus etc - Victor Klemperer writes about this in his diaries from the period. I would think that something like Alfred Kroener Verlag which was a sizable publisher would be one they would monitor. certainly there are no publications that are critical of the nazis in this period coming out of germany so far as i know of

whether this was still the case in 1941 though i am wondering if it was so - I have a book on the way Behemoth: Struktur und Praxis des Nationalsozialismus 1933-1944, that might shed some light on things further

It was absolutely the case. The Nazis only tightened their grip on German society with the outbreak of war and as the military situation deteriorated. Eventually they closed cinemas and non essential publishing was banned.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 34
RE: Kolberg - The Movie - 2/27/2017 8:21:10 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

The nonsensical position of those Nazis who denied they 'knew' (or denied agreeing with the Final Solution) asserting that that somehow absolved them of guilt was, ironically, put most eloquently by Heydrich in the quite brilliant film Conspiracy:

Just in case, are you aware that that movie (2001) was the remake (almost literally word by word ie plagiarism) of the excellent German movie Die Wannseekonferenz (1984)?

IMO the original is much much better, the real deal.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088377/

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 35
RE: Kolberg - The Movie - 2/27/2017 11:02:37 AM   
Agathosdaimon

the wannsee conference makes me feel ill - i mean all of it does re the genocide, atrocity and terror, - but something about the wannsee conference, the - even its unassuming name just feels so deathly, - a pall of death falls over me, when i try to think about how humans can go about carrying out the orderly business beyond the irredeemable leaden curtain they have passed through, where talk of organising mass execution is just another order of business,- there is no humanity to be found among them, it really does literally make me queasy to try and imagine.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 36
RE: Kolberg - The Movie - 2/27/2017 1:26:45 PM   
operating

The film deserved an Oscar/Academy Award/ect., from what was shown in the short clip. If it was dubbed in English might have been a smash hit in the Free-World of the day. Erroyl Flynn could have been leading the charge in this one, instead of "The Charge of the Light Brigade".

< Message edited by operating -- 2/27/2017 4:09:38 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 37
RE: Kolberg - The Movie - 2/27/2017 4:35:17 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

Just in case, are you aware that that movie (2001) was the remake (almost literally word by word ie plagiarism) of the excellent German movie Die Wannseekonferenz (1984)?

warspite1

I have never seen the German film - but would like to (so long as it has subtitles ) as I am intrigued to see if its as good as you say.

However I am would be grateful for your clarification re your comments on:

1. You say it is 'much much better' but also say that Conspiracy is almost word for word the same. That being the case, what is it that makes the original 'the real deal'? If its not the script then the only other obvious variable would be the cast. All I can say is, if the acting is 'much much better' than the BBC/HBO version then I would be surprised - but also even more keen to see the original!

2. The other thing is you use the word plagiarism. That suggests something illegal and that basically the HBO/BBC production team have passed something off as their own. There is copying (the best form of flattery) because something is so damn good, and there is stealing someone else's work. I have no idea on which of the two is involved here, although have never read anything to suggest that BBC/HBO did anything illegal. Again, I would be grateful for your input on what makes you say plagiarism (i.e. something underhand) is at work here.

Many thanks.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 38
RE: Kolberg - The Movie - 2/27/2017 5:01:04 PM   
durangokid

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I have never seen the German film - but would like to (so long as it has subtitles ) as I am intrigued to see if its as good as you say.

1. You say it is 'much much better' but also say that Conspiracy is almost word for word the same. That being the case, what is it that makes the original 'the real deal'? If its not the script then the only other obvious variable would be the cast. All I can say is, if the acting is 'much much better' than the BBC/HBO version then I would be surprised - but also even more keen to see the original!

2. The other thing is you use the word plagiarism. That suggests something illegal and that basically the HBO/BBC production team have passed something off as their own. There is copying (the best form of flattery) because something is so damn good, and there is stealing someone else's work. I have no idea on which of the two is involved here, although have never read anything to suggest that BBC/HBO did anything illegal. Again, I would be grateful for your input on what makes you say plagiarism (i.e. something underhand) is at work here.

Many thanks.

Here you go, the German version from 1984, with English subtitles : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URSNN5mnI2g&t=2671s

Both the English and the German movies had to create dialogue, however they were both based on the minutes that survived from the Wansee meeting of 1942 and found in the German Foreign Office in 1947.

As for the quality of the movies, it would be hard to better the English version, but it's surely subjective.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 39
RE: Kolberg - The Movie - 2/27/2017 5:07:01 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: durangokid

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Many thanks.

Here you go, the German version from 1984, with English subtitles : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URSNN5mnI2g&t=2671s

Both the English and the German movies had to create dialogue, however they were both based on the minutes that survived from the Wansee meeting of 1942 and found in the German Foreign Office in 1947.

As for the quality of the movies, it would be hard to better the English version, but it's surely subjective.

warspite1

Excellent - thank-you! I will ensure I make some time this week to view this.

I have just flicked through a few scenes and have so far not recognised any dialogue that is similar to Conspiracy - but its early days.

Re subjective - absolutely - and I have no axe to grind or preference for one to be better than the other. All I know is, its going to have to be damn good to beat the HBO/BBC version - but if it does? Well that's even more of a treat coming up

(in reply to durangokid)
Post #: 40
RE: Kolberg - The Movie - 2/27/2017 5:23:00 PM   
TulliusDetritus

The German version, I saw it minimum 3 times. The British, only one

For starters, on the German movie I was watching nazis. It was natural, it was convincing. On the British one, guys trying really hard to look like hardcore nazis (and they fail IMO). Some histrionics that is (Branagh is a theatre actor I think)

A bit like my much admired Robert Carlyle. I really think he is a likable person, yes, but er his role as Hitler was just... weird

As Durangokid said, all is subjective though.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 41
RE: Kolberg - The Movie - 2/27/2017 5:29:58 PM   
warspite1

quote:

The German version, I saw it minimum 3 times. The British, only one

For starters, on the German movie I was watching nazis. It was natural, it was convincing. On the British one, guys trying really hard to look like hardcore nazis (and they fail IMO). Some histrionics that is (Branagh is a theatre actor I think)

A bit like my much admired Robert Carlyle. I really think he is a likable person, yes, but er his role as Hitler was just... weird

As Durangokid said, all is subjective though.
warspite1

I agree on Robert Carlyle (great actor - but not Hitler)

Totally disagree on Kenneth Brannaarrr though - I thought he was appropriately menacing.

Anyways, I will report back when I've had a chance to watch.

Post #: 42
RE: Kolberg - The Movie - 2/27/2017 5:47:19 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

Totally disagree on Kenneth Brannaarrr though - I thought he was appropriately menacing.

Perfect example to compare. The icy coldness of the original German actor is much better than Branagh's apparent or failed toughness.

It's about casual bureaucrats, which make the industrial killing more menacing, inhumane. I stop: no more spoilers

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 43
RE: Kolberg - The Movie - 2/28/2017 2:02:43 AM   
Agathosdaimon

a film i saw recently which has a really disturbing and i think frightening even is Er ist Wieder da - it is fiction but also a good and actually very smart look at how lines of satire and reality can get blurred and people's cautious uncertainty can be gamed - the hitler figure in it is menacing when he needs to be, imposing when he needs to be and never without some response that can gradually lead an unwitting and incredulous public to start supporting him.

of the carlyle protrayal, - it may have been strange but hitler was a strange fellow too and his fellow soldiers thought this too and it sounds like the most emotional moment in his life was when the first world war ended and he was crying for days at the feeling of betrayal and anger and having to return to civilian life - a "Rachbessenheit" overtook him that placed all the blame squarely on the jews at home and abroad

Post #: 44
RE: Kolberg - The Movie - 2/28/2017 5:56:36 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Perfect example to compare. The icy coldness of the original German actor is much better than Branagh's apparent or failed toughness.

It's about casual bureaucrats, which make the industrial killing more menacing, inhumane. I stop: no more spoilers

warspite1

If anyone is interested I have done a comparison of the two on the film thread.

Post #: 45
RE: Kolberg - The Movie - 2/28/2017 10:24:00 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

a film i saw recently which has a really disturbing and i think frightening even is Er ist Wieder da - it is fiction but also a good and actually very smart look at how lines of satire and reality can get blurred and people's cautious uncertainty can be gamed - the hitler figure in it is menacing when he needs to be, imposing when he needs to be and never without some response that can gradually lead an unwitting and incredulous public to start supporting him.

I have missed this one.

"Adolf Hitler wakes up in the 21st century. He quickly gains media attention, but while Germany finds him hilarious and charming, Hitler makes some serious observations about society".

Well, enigmatic summary (how come charming?) but imdb score is 7.1. Thank you

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 46
RE: Kolberg - The Movie - 2/28/2017 10:42:20 PM   
Agathosdaimon

it is a really strange but good film, it is based on a book from 2011, the film was done in 2014 but it had certainly some striking parallels with events in 2016 and the whole troll culture even

I found the film remarkable in that it seems like it might even be a comedy at the start but the comedy just comes really from the fish out of water sense the viewer has, but the hitler figure only plays along with it so far, before he begins searching out a new propaganda platform and crafting new messages to lure in supporters in an age when younger generations no longer really know the facts about the rise of Nazism and the holocaust.
It is also a mix of Borat style in that some of the film is interactions with actual people and their reactions to a man dressed as hitler asking them about what their gripes with the world today are and the responses are interesting in that you see all the same issues come up that hitler can use that people will gradually be won over with.
it also i found plays on the viewer in that you start thinking yourself...hmmm maybe this hitler has changed his ways...that we all like a story of redemption,..but again it is just another psychological ploy.

Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Kolberg - The Movie Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI