Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/14/2017 9:20:03 PM   
Aurorus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

You're missing an Oxford comma.

Huh?

Where?

The style guide my school uses has done away with the serial, or "Oxford" comma. If I don't use them that is why. Also, I think they'll eventually be phased out everywhere.

In your thread title.

I don't think they'll ever go away. They're absolutely necessary for clarity in lists at times. There's the famous example of:

We invited the hookers, Stalin and JFK.

vs.

We invited the hookers, Stalin, and JFK.

Technically, the use of a colon is more proper in the first enunciation. "We invited the hookers: Stalin and JFK."

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 31
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/14/2017 9:30:11 PM   
BillBrown

Hmmmm, obvert or lowpe. It is a hard choice to make.

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 32
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/14/2017 9:45:56 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

Huh?

Where?

The style guide my school uses has done away with the serial, or "Oxford" comma. If I don't use them that is why. Also, I think they'll eventually be phased out everywhere.

In your thread title.

I don't think they'll ever go away. They're absolutely necessary for clarity in lists at times. There's the famous example of:

vs.

Note to self: use the Oxford comma.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 33
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/14/2017 10:24:55 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

quote:

Huh?

Where?

In your thread title.

vs.

If it's an unclear order, just re-order and it becomes clear.

We invited Stalin, JFK and the hookers.

Is there confusion about the listing in the title of the thread?

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 34
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/14/2017 10:29:56 PM   
modrow

quote:

Well... shouldn't it be Supplies and Black Oil? After all, beans and bullets are abstracted in this game...

Hartwig

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 35
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/14/2017 11:01:15 PM   
obvert

The title is from the book. Although the original uses a serial comma.

There is a full copy on biblio I just found. I paid for it on Kindle, which is not bad at about £ 3.50, but the hardback is listed anywhere form £80-200!

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/BBBO/

I like reading a book about naval logistics in the Pacific War written by the admiral who actually ran Fleet logistics from 43-45.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to modrow)
Post #: 36
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/14/2017 11:10:52 PM   
Canoerebel

We knew the title had a classy origin. If you were Warspite or Chickenboy it would've been "Beans, Bullets and Boobs."

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 37
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/14/2017 11:20:45 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

We knew the title had a classy origin. If you were Warspite or Chickenboy it would've been "Beans, Bullets and Boobs."

Haha!!

I almost titled it WAVES, WASPS and Rosie!!

I've been encountering a lot of pics of women who did their part in the war and thought of a tribute AAR title for them. Then I thought maybe it might end up with more pinups than update posts!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 38
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/14/2017 11:41:18 PM   
witpqs

quote:

You are selling Warspite short, I think: it would have been Boobs, Boobs, and Boobs.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 39
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/15/2017 12:03:10 AM   
Canoerebel

You're title is better than my feeble effort of years ago, Eric. In a tortured nod to logistics, I titled my AAR vs. PanzerjagerHortlund: "War and Peas."

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 40
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/15/2017 12:03:53 AM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

You are selling Warspite short, I think: it would have been Boobs, Boobs, and Boobs.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 41
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/15/2017 4:41:45 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Huh?

Where?

In your thread title.

vs.

Well, you should also be listed first.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 42
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/15/2017 7:07:04 AM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Huh?

Where?

In your thread title.

vs.

Well, you should also be listed first.

Yeah, that's probably true. Changed it.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 43
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/15/2017 9:10:01 AM   
obvert

quote:

You're title is better than my feeble effort of years ago, Eric. In a tortured nod to logistics, I titled my AAR vs. PanzerjagerHortlund: "War and Peas."

Still amuses me, that one!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 44
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/15/2017 11:00:01 AM   
Rafid

quote:

There is a full copy on biblio I just found. I paid for it on Kindle, which is not bad at about £ 3.50, but the hardback is listed anywhere form £80-200!

I like reading a book about naval logistics in the Pacific War written by the admiral who actually ran Fleet logistics from 43-45.

I started reading it on biblio, and it sounds interesting - thanks a lot for the link and recommendation.
Could you please tell me, if the Kindle version has the same amount of typios (or OCR errors), because just the start of the Biblio was plagued by quite a few. Thanks again!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 45
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/15/2017 11:25:37 AM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

For Warspite it'd have been: "Boobs, Tits and Nice Rack" (Though last one might be "americanism"..)

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 46
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/15/2017 1:07:16 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

quote:

quote:

Huh?

Where?

In your thread title.

vs.

I still put in the comma.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 47
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/15/2017 1:09:11 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

Very nice CR!

I always like to use a book for my AAR title so I immediately liked this one. Have to admit that I don't own the particular book you refer to. many have said it is a fine read.

Good luck in your match!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 48
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/15/2017 1:28:32 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rafid

quote:

I started reading it on biblio, and it sounds interesting - thanks a lot for the link and recommendation.
Could you please tell me, if the Kindle version has the same amount of typios (or OCR errors), because just the start of the Biblio was plagued by quite a few. Thanks again!

Unfortunately it seems to. Things like "them" instead of "then." Small stuff, but things that would make my wife crazy. She is an editor and publisher by trade.

(in reply to Rafid)
Post #: 49
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/15/2017 1:40:53 PM   
obvert

On the serial comma, my wife offers the following. She is Australian and works with both UK and US markets and so has to publish different versions for each area (as well as other international editions).

The serial comma is still used in American English via the Merriam Webster method. Brits drop the last comma. So it depends on whether you're using British English or American English...

So that is the publishing POV (unless you're working at Oxford University Press, I guess).

My English friend Chris hates it when I say British English.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 50
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/15/2017 1:43:49 PM   
obvert

I started looking at airframe management.

If I remember correctly I can "upgrade" the starting P-38 groups to something less valuable if I have 25 planes to completely fill them out (since they are withdrawing and require the full 25 planes to upgrade).

Right?

Along those lines can I play with withdrawing some unneeded groups, like the PI group of P-26, and will those then appear in the USAAF pool?

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/15/2017 1:45:08 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 51
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/15/2017 1:48:14 PM   
Xargun

quote:

I work with a couple Brits and they always say American English or the Queen's English. Always makes me smile.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 52
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/15/2017 2:51:45 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

quote:

I work with a couple Brits and they always say American English or the Queen's English. Always makes me smile.

"American English" = "murrican" But, since I was educated with "Queen's English", I might be bit biased... And worded years for British company..so there is that too...

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 53
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/15/2017 3:00:41 PM   
Canoerebel

On the comma issue, I see it both ways in the USA, though increasingly the comma is dropped.

I prefer using the comma. In my editing work for the magazine, I insert it when editing the stories of others.

I don't know what the AP style book says, but I agree with the Confederate private who was told that there was no such word as "cooter" in Webster's Dictionary. His reply: "I have as much right to make a dictionary as Mr. Webster."

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 54
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/15/2017 6:07:00 PM   
obvert

quote:

On the comma issue, I see it both ways in the USA, though increasingly the comma is dropped.

I prefer using the comma. In my editing work for the magazine, I insert it when editing the stories of others.

I don't know what the AP style book says, but I agree with the Confederate private who was told that there was no such word as "cooter" in Webster's Dictionary. His reply: "I have as much right to make a dictionary as Mr. Webster."

Language is a continual evolution. It's never static. The "rules" are made by the next generation, and right now some of their completely stumps me.

We just had a survey form the yearbook team at school. No idea what any of the new slang was about. At all.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/15/2017 6:09:06 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 55
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/15/2017 6:31:32 PM   
Xargun

quote:

We just had a survey form the yearbook team at school. No idea what any of the new slang was about. At all.

My son is only 10 and he comes home with new sayings all the time and I'm like huh? Damn I feel old some days...

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 56
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/15/2017 7:10:32 PM   
ny59giants

A word that has become vogue over here is 'fascist.' What does it mean now? I look at it from a historical reference and just shake my head as I hear it or read about somebody being called that almost daily. Same as somebody being called a Nazi. I feel the need to define terms being used in conversations so I can determine what is being said.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 57
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/15/2017 7:15:25 PM   
Canoerebel

I hear you. "Racist" is used all the time, when the person actually means "bigoted." Racism is pretty darn rare, while bigotry is relatively common.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 58
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 2:46:45 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

Language is a continual evolution. It's never static. The "rules" are made by the next generation, and right now some of their completely stumps me.

Hrm, do you not get those? And here I thought we were the same age-ish.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 59
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert... - 3/16/2017 3:01:05 AM   
Canoerebel

I only know the answer to the first question: "V" is for Victory.

As for the other two, I haven't a clue.

As a freshman at the University of Georgia in 1979, I went on a date with a Georgia Tech coed in Atlanta. She mentioned that she'd recently attended the World Series in Cleveland. I was skeptical and said, "I don't think Cleveland has been in the World Series since the '40s." She gave me a withering look and said, "I meant the World Series of Rock and Roll."

Whatever that is.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: Lowpe (J) vs obvert (A) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI