Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/6/2018 5:32:44 PM   
Canoerebel

"If it bleeds, it leads."

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1111
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/6/2018 5:37:06 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Allied production should be pretty reliable. Any chance another unit upgraded to P--38Es while you weren't looking?
Only other thing I can think of is something Alfred mentioned about the Allies being able to run out of HI points in some circumstances. Or maybe supply at the city that manufactures P-38s?

Here is the airframe replacements screen. Notice the production for the month.

No idea what's causing the differences from what is listed as the expected totals. With four days to go and only at 2/3 of the total it seems we'll be short.

Attachment (1)

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1112
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/6/2018 6:08:36 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

"If it bleeds, it leads."

That's the one.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1113
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/6/2018 6:19:42 PM   
Rafid

AFAIK each day there is a die roll of ([REPLACEMENT_RATE] + [PRODUCTION_RATE])/30 to determine if a plane is produced or not (if this is >= 1, than the number before the decimal point is the guaranteed production and the rest is die rolled). So with replacement rate 24, you have a daily 80% chance for a plane to show up. You might just have gotten very unlucky.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1114
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/7/2018 6:04:44 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rafid

AFAIK each day there is a die roll of ([REPLACEMENT_RATE] + [PRODUCTION_RATE])/30 to determine if a plane is produced or not (if this is >= 1, than the number before the decimal point is the guaranteed production and the rest is die rolled). So with replacement rate 24, you have a daily 80% chance for a plane to show up. You might just have gotten very unlucky.

I seem to remember that as well, but this is definitely bad luck. The most important plane on map, and the home team is coming up short.

It'll be fine, and the F will start in a a few months, so maybe it'll go for extra!

I just noticed I got shorted on the P-400 as well. Only 68 produced but supposed to be 72 for two months at 36/month.

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/7/2018 9:09:36 AM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Rafid)
Post #: 1115
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/7/2018 9:12:23 AM   
obvert

Lowpe had power again last night and ran the turn. I don't have the finished turn file yet though. Hope the weather doesn't get too crazy again there.

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/9/2018 7:55:17 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1116
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/9/2018 7:55:01 AM   
obvert

He's sent another one, and I'll write it up soon. Apparently another 12inches of snow, but has power currently, so that's good. Looks like we're moving forward again.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1117
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/9/2018 11:22:51 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

Allied production should be pretty reliable. Any chance another unit upgraded to P--38Es while you weren't looking?
Only other thing I can think of is something Alfred mentioned about the Allies being able to run out of HI points in some circumstances. Or maybe supply at the city that manufactures P-38s?

No idea what's causing the differences from what is listed as the expected totals. With four days to go and only at 2/3 of the total it seems we'll be short.

Very long ago I learned from Symon that the production and replacement rates are subject to a variability die roll each day and there is a small percentage chance that you will not receive that day's allotment.

I noticed it on a special one off variation of the F4F that is a recon version that the US only receives 12 planes of.

In one game I only received 11 of them and it wasn't enough to be able to upgrade the only squadron capable of upgrading to that airframe because it has a withdrawal date and 12 planes were required for the upgrade.

So thanks to the variability die roll the US was deprived of the use of that airframe.

I posted asking what had happened and Symon explained that I had fallen victim to the variability roll.

Hans

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1118
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/9/2018 12:05:02 PM   
ny59giants

Concur with what Hans said. My issue was with the F-4 recon coming in at only 4 per month replacement rate. One month I got only ONE. When it came to John 3rd various mods, my desire of more Allied recon was realized.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 1119
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/9/2018 1:40:05 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

quote:

Very long ago I learned from Symon that the production and replacement rates are subject to a variability die roll each day and there is a small percentage chance that you will not receive that day's allotment.

I noticed it on a special one off variation of the F4F that is a recon version that the US only receives 12 planes of.

In one game I only received 11 of them and it wasn't enough to be able to upgrade the only squadron capable of upgrading to that airframe because it has a withdrawal date and 12 planes were required for the upgrade.

So thanks to the variability die roll the US was deprived of the use of that airframe.

I posted asking what had happened and Symon explained that I had fallen victim to the variability roll.

Thanks Hans. I didn't think it would happen so many times in one month!!

Interesting to note the variability is all over the pace. If I ever mod something I might just increase every short run production for airframes by 5 or so to mitigate this. It would keep a player from upgrading to the P-38E if they were counting on this month and hadn't gotten some from [R] groups.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 1120
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/9/2018 1:42:51 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum

Concur with what Hans said. My issue was with the F-4 recon coming in at only 4 per month replacement rate. One month I got only ONE. When it came to John 3rd various mods, my desire of more Allied recon was realized.

Yes. Modding. Takes some time. I'm just putting together a test game for some things, and man it takes time to change all of those units and ships and air groups to get them in the right places!

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1121
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/9/2018 1:54:56 PM   
obvert

The KB looks strengthened. I wonder if Akagi is back, and if Zuikaku just soldiered on with them?

This shot with 82 fighters and 233 bombers seems like 4 CVs and 1-2 CVLs or 5 CVs.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1122
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/9/2018 2:41:16 PM   
obvert

May 27, 1942

The big news today is the IJA evacuates Singapore!!!

This is huge, and changes a lot of what the Allies are doing in the area. Two divisions and a number of brigades and armoured units have invested Kluong. I'm waiting for a few others before attacking, but now I'll also have to see if the IJA moves more in here. I won't be able to break through is a few more IDs can fit under the 55k SL here, but he won't be able to knock the Allies back either. The AV now is 1250, and only 38k of the SL have been used. I'll keep the others moving in and then allocate a strong force of fast armoured brigades to move North to aim for the central Malayan bases, then on toward Taiping. There is an ID up there and probably more moving in now.

I've already begin prepping some units for coastal bases including Johore Baru, Mersing and Kuantan. I've also got some units aiming deeper at Alor Star, Victoria Point, and on even as far as Mergui.

I'd like to keep this area under threat while I build into the SE DEI and being looking at island hopping toward Mindanao. I'll try to play some small ball over there with APDs and fast transport, sub landings and air transport. It's been quiet enough that it seems all of the available eggs in the area (6 x naval guards there) have been dropped into Malaybalay. Although the PI troops are now out of supply and being bombarded daily, it won't fall immediately, and it'd be amazing to break through to resupply it.

The Ashigara fast transport leaving Langsa runs into an xAKL of ours and doesn't go for it, signalling that yes, in fact, this TF is carrying troops.

The tanks at Langsa take care of a bit more of the IJA regiment there, but it still looks like some support troops hang on in the base.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR May 23, 1942
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Malaybalay (80,90)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 288 troops, 29 guns, 24 vehicles, Assault Value = 270

Defending force 8836 troops, 32 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 302

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
87th Naval Guard Unit
88th Naval Guard Unit
18th Naval Guard Unit
1st Engineer Co
86th Naval Guard Unit
85th Naval Guard Unit
89th Naval Guard Unit
17th Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
2nd PA Infantry Regiment
101st PA Infantry Division
3rd Constabulary Regiment
Agusan Constab Battalion
Mindanao Force
35th Avn Sup /1

Ground combat at Langsa (46,74)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 3054 troops, 34 guns, 256 vehicles, Assault Value = 155

Defending force 1834 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 5

Allied adjusted assault: 119

Japanese adjusted defense: 5

Allied assault odds: 23 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), disruption(-), supply(-)
Attacker: fatigue(-)

Japanese ground losses:
335 casualties reported
Squads: 20 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 16 disabled

Allied ground losses:
18 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
7th Cav Recce Regiment
7th Armoured Brigade

Defending units:
41st Infantry Regiment

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1123
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/10/2018 2:35:14 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Congrats! I've always wanted to see a game where Singapore held out. (Who knew it would take Soviet activation?)

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1124
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/10/2018 7:56:54 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

Congrats! I've always wanted to see a game where Singapore held out. (Who knew it would take Soviet activation?)

Cheers.

I don't think it would take Soviet activation to hold Singers. It was already in process by the time they activated. I'm sure that changed the air war a bit, but it din't suck off any of the IJA and not much of the IJN. The P-38E group at Singers really changed the battle, and he just stopped trying to sweep or bomb after a few tries.

Once I'd figured out how to make use of a Dutch unit that survived the initial Japanese onslaught to retake Benkolen, and timed that with an Allied reinforcement and invasion of Oosthaven, things were looking dire in the area for the IJ. He could have used the KB to get behind Java, slow the transport while he got things back in order, but that would have been risky too. The battles were so intense early a lot of ships were damaged and air groups needed to fill out again, I'm thinking. He just didn't prioritise a quick move to cut off Allied options, and instead went for more strikes at PH.

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/10/2018 3:31:50 PM >

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 1125
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/10/2018 1:47:06 PM   
ny59giants

I see a Dunkirk in the future at Mersing. He will need to use KB and massive LRCAP from Kuantan to pull it off.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1126
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/10/2018 3:36:55 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum

I see a Dunkirk in the future at Mersing. He will need to use KB and massive LRCAP from Kuantan to pull it off.

We're just now locking horns at Kluong, and he's maxed out the SL, as have the Allies. I think this one will go nowhere, but it does tie up a big pice of the IJA force, and he has only three bases there. My Singers divisions have been prepping for Johore Baru for over a week now, and I've got some other troops prepping for Mersing.

The armor will now try to rush North to take Kuala Lumpur and hopefully make a move toward Kuantan. With six divisions caught in South Malaya, there is not much left in the area to fill in gaps, but I'm betting he's landed some brigades and regiments up North that are ready to rail in.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1127
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/10/2018 3:58:42 PM   
obvert

May 28, 1942

Subs again get some good intel, but no hits on major IJN forces. This will be interesting to follow, as this will be a slower TF with Mutsu there. There are a lot of subs already patrolling, so I'll just adjust search to hit that area.

Troops continue to pour into Malaya, and two Marine Defence units are installed at Macassar and Keeping. I was going to go for Ambon, but realised the guns there are pretty damn good, and I really just needed a supply top up. Plus the Bettys are sniffing around. Looks like my supply xAKLs are just out of range, as they struck with bombs, not torps.

The first A6M3 sweep hurt a group f P-40B I'd just formed up. I like the "B" but they got jumped here and it didn't go well. Better in a layered CAP or even sweeping. They're heading back to Palembang to reform now.

The KB goes dark. I want to keep track of it, and after getting to know Malaya troops a bit more with the recon i've got, I'll start searching distant ports.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR May 28, 1942

Sub attack near Kuching at 59,87

Japanese Ships
DD Shikinami
BB Mutsu
BB Kongo
CL Oi
DD Yamakaze
DD Arare
DD Okikaze
DD Murakumo
DD Kasumi

Allied Ships
SS KXVI

SS KXVI launches 2 torpedoes at DD Shikinami
KXVI bottoming out ....

Morning Air attack on Port Dickson , at 49,80

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 41 NM, estimated altitude 27,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 24

Allied aircraft
P-40B Warhawk x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40B Warhawk: 4 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x A6M3 Zero sweeping at 25000 feet

CAP engaged:
51st FG/16th FS with P-40B Warhawk (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 8 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 26 minutes

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Boeton at 69,108

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 10 NM, estimated altitude 31,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 11

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAKL Melinga
xAKL Carroo

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 26000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

Ground combat at 103,33 (near Tamsag)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 348 troops, 0 guns, 61 vehicles, Assault Value = 33

Defending force 748 troops, 4 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 26

Allied adjusted assault: 58

Japanese adjusted defense: 27

Allied assault odds: 2 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+)

Japanese ground losses:
215 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 6 destroyed, 2 disabled
Units retreated 1

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
82nd Tank Battalion

Defending units:
7th Mongol Cavalry Division

All the dents knocked back into place. Back in action!!!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1128
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/11/2018 3:10:56 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 24

Allied aircraft
P-40B Warhawk x 20

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses

Uh-oh . . .

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1129
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/11/2018 5:50:04 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 24

Allied aircraft
P-40B Warhawk x 20

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses

Uh-oh . . .

I think this is aberration due to these being set up to guard ships here. In a base with more units I have a group up that would have jumped these A6M3 at 25k. It is ominous that he's building up and starting to sweep though. Maybe I've been walking into a trap this whole time?

Post #: 1130
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/12/2018 3:35:45 PM   
obvert

May 29, 1942

An odd calm has descended on our war. I feel like it's just before another flurry of action. The Soviets are heading home. The winter is over, and now it's time to wait out the next few years while all of the resources go toward Europe. Forts are nearly up to 6 in most important locations. Only a few places won't be ready for any Japanese move int eh next few months. A reserve is forming up in the North and another in the South to meet an unexpected push somewhere. Defensive terrain is good everywhere though, so anything the Japanese do would meet a lot of entrenched arty and tanks.

In the DEI the landing of defensive units at Keeping and Macassar begins a growing emphasis on preparing the SE DEI for a push North. I'll shore up Have with US units from So Pac, get some to the Celebes and begin creep upward, slowly, with low risk involved. No big invasions planned. Just little incremental moves to tighten Japan's position and move toward Mindanao. I'd like to have supply up there within 40 days.
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR May 29, 1942

Ground combat at 93,28 (near Dalan Dzadagad)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 1980 troops, 18 guns, 234 vehicles, Assault Value = 133

Defending force 1314 troops, 20 guns, 50 vehicles, Assault Value = 43

Allied adjusted assault: 114

Japanese adjusted defense: 19

Allied assault odds: 6 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
563 casualties reported
Squads: 11 destroyed, 25 disabled
Non Combat: 8 destroyed, 7 disabled
Guns lost 17 (3 destroyed, 14 disabled)
Vehicles lost 16 (7 destroyed, 9 disabled)

Units retreated 1

Allied ground losses:
35 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
206th Tank Brigade

Defending units:
1st Cavalry Brigade

Narwhal and her sisters are being fitting for SST duty at Singers. I have some Marine and Dutch units I'll begin dropping off at vacant bases soon. I'll also us fast transports where I'm able. The Allies have a lot of these small naval assets and commando style units for infiltration. I want to put pressure on Lowpe from many angles soon to deflect his ability to respond to the two big threats of the Malayan reinvestment and the continuing presence of fully supplied and unchallenged ground forces in the PI.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/12/2018 3:36:33 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1131
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/12/2018 4:35:32 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

It is ominous that he's building up and starting to sweep though. Maybe I've been walking into a trap this whole time?

Its May 1942 - not 1943.

You are holding Sumatra and Malaya - well supplied and well fortified from the the looks of it.

This completely invalidates any Japanese move in Burma; Burma not sustainable in so far as I can tell / project. In a number of weeks perhaps months the front lines will be French Indo China and Western China. The evacuation of Malaya must be to Bangkok, Cahm Ran Bay. He will benefit in the short term from shorter lines of communication and supply; but still has lost access to HI LI and Oil in Singapore / Medan / Palemebang... wow.

You are holding (I believe) air parity in Malaya with P40B ~ ABDA squadrons that will withdraw, some P39s, and early model P38s.

I hardly think a trap can be over thought here. He has the superior air frames and still you are holding air parity.

The P40E's are soon in plentiful supply and P40K's / Hurricane IIc's around just the corner. The better P38s are some time off as I recall.

The P40K's/ Hurris IIc cannot only hold their own - but with good coordination and effect use as you have demonstrated - I predict you will probably have air superiority through attrition in short order. Your P40E's will grind the Japanese down.

Fascinating campaign to date.

Thanks for continuing the AAR

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1132
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/12/2018 8:12:25 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

quote:

It is ominous that he's building up and starting to sweep though. Maybe I've been walking into a trap this whole time?

Its May 1942 - not 1943.

You are holding Sumatra and Malaya - well supplied and well fortified from the the looks of it.

This completely invalidates any Japanese move in Burma; Burma not sustainable in so far as I can tell / project. In a number of weeks perhaps months the front lines will be French Indo China and Western China. The evacuation of Malaya must be to Bangkok, Cahm Ran Bay. He will benefit in the short term from shorter lines of communication and supply; but still has lost access to HI LI and Oil in Singapore / Medan / Palemebang... wow.

You are holding (I believe) air parity in Malaya with P40B ~ ABDA squadrons that will withdraw, some P39s, and early model P38s.

I hardly think a trap can be over thought here. He has the superior air frames and still you are holding air parity.

The P40E's are soon in plentiful supply and P40K's / Hurricane IIc's around just the corner. The better P38s are some time off as I recall.

The P40K's/ Hurris IIc cannot only hold their own - but with good coordination and effect use as you have demonstrated - I predict you will probably have air superiority through attrition in short order. Your P40E's will grind the Japanese down.

Fascinating campaign to date.

Thanks for continuing the AAR

It's been a blast of a game, that's for sure. It's pretty unreal to be in this spot in 42, and I think while it's not entirely due to a material difference in Soviet activation, the psychological weight of Soviet proximity and strength is surely part of the reason it's turned this way.

I don't think in the right situations that P-40E are as bad as they usually seem. They have poor manoeuvre, but are faster than anything until the tojo appears, and are well gunned and durable. They fought well in the war, and tactics made a difference. Usually it was due to Allied superiority in early warning through coast watchers or radar, and in this game I've been sending all kinds of radar equipped unit to the bases in the DEI. It the Allies have plentiful radar, good air support at big airfields, and upgraded AA, a layered CAP of P-40E, Hurry IIb and IIc P-39D and a top layer of P-38E or F, defensively I think I can hold my own through the Tojo era until the K, the Corsair and the Hellcats arrive.

That's a theory though, and I'm curious to see how it'll play out.

If worse comes to worse, I'll let the AA handle it for a while and just stand the CAP down and pull the fighters out of sweeping range.

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 1133
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/13/2018 3:54:46 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

I don't think in the right situations that P-40E are as bad as they usually seem. They have poor manoeuvre, but are faster than anything until the tojo appears, and are well gunned and durable. They fought well in the war, and tactics made a difference. Usually it was due to Allied superiority in early warning through coast watchers or radar, and in this game I've been sending all kinds of radar equipped unit to the bases in the DEI. It the Allies have plentiful radar, good air support at big airfields, and upgraded AA, a layered CAP of P-40E, Hurry IIb and IIc P-39D and a top layer of P-38E or F, defensively I think I can hold my own through the Tojo era until the K, the Corsair and the Hellcats arrive.

I wish you luck, but with PDU on the Japanese can crank out a lot more of their better airframes than historical. With the A6M3 here, and the Tojo not far off, the P-40B and the P-39D may become mechanisms to whittle down your pilot pools. I assume a number of Soviet fighter squadrons have to be withdrawn along with the LCUs?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1134
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/13/2018 8:28:32 AM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

I wish you luck, but with PDU on the Japanese can crank out a lot more of their better airframes than historical. With the A6M3 here, and the Tojo not far off, the P-40B and the P-39D may become mechanisms to whittle down your pilot pools. I assume a number of Soviet fighter squadrons have to be withdrawn along with the LCUs?

No, the Soviets keep their airforce, they just don't have reinforcements. I get 16 MiG 3 a month for a while, but that's it. The little I-15 and !-16 are already useless, so it's going to be about 80 MiGs against whatever the Japanese throw at them. For two years!!

Post #: 1135
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/13/2018 1:54:35 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

.... and I think while it's not entirely due to a material difference in Soviet activation, the psychological weight of Soviet proximity and strength is surely part of the reason it's turned this way.

... that P-40E are as bad as they usually seem. They have poor manoeuvre, but are faster than anything until the tojo appears, and are well gunned and durable. They fought well in the war, and tactics made a difference.

...the Allies have plentiful radar, good air support at big airfields, and upgraded AA,

.... defensively I think I can hold my own through the Tojo era until the K, the Corsair and the Hellcats arrive.

Yes

Totally Agree

Yes your tactics have / will continue to make all the difference despite Tojo or the Zeke3s.

Totally agree.

(1) Allied pilots are also more often recovered (2) You are unlikely to sweep Cam Rhan Bay across the ocean with P40E's (3) used to support advances and defensively...

I don't think you have to wait for Corsairs (March 43 ?) Hellcats (May 43?). I suspect with flush squadrons of P40Ks, Hurri IIc's you have more than enough to start hitting back. Your P38s may be come the sweepers etc

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1136
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/14/2018 8:59:40 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

quote:

.... and I think while it's not entirely due to a material difference in Soviet activation, the psychological weight of Soviet proximity and strength is surely part of the reason it's turned this way.

... that P-40E are as bad as they usually seem. They have poor manoeuvre, but are faster than anything until the tojo appears, and are well gunned and durable. They fought well in the war, and tactics made a difference.

...the Allies have plentiful radar, good air support at big airfields, and upgraded AA,

.... defensively I think I can hold my own through the Tojo era until the K, the Corsair and the Hellcats arrive.

Yes

Totally Agree

Yes your tactics have / will continue to make all the difference despite Tojo or the Zeke3s.

Totally agree.

(1) Allied pilots are also more often recovered (2) You are unlikely to sweep Cam Rhan Bay across the ocean with P40E's (3) used to support advances and defensively...

I don't think you have to wait for Corsairs (March 43 ?) Hellcats (May 43?). I suspect with flush squadrons of P40Ks, Hurri IIc's you have more than enough to start hitting back. Your P38s may be come the sweepers etc

Honestly, as troops move forward on the ground I see less and less a need to protect them, as the very good Allied AA can do that work. I just need to protect supply lines, major ports and air bases (Singers, Palembang, possibly Medan later). I'll be sweeping very little.

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 1137
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/15/2018 1:39:13 PM   
obvert

May 30, 1942

The 30th is pretty boring, with not much happening on the surface or in the air. The Allies get some good bombardments at Johore Baru, and the Japanese send out Kates to try and hit small shipping near Malaya, but with no success. A Soviet sub strikes off of the Chinese coast.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR May 30, 1942

Night Naval bombardment of Johore Bahru at 50,83

Allied Ships
CA Northampton
CA Portland
CL Boise

Japanese ground losses:
373 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 31 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 17 (3 destroyed, 14 disabled)

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 25
Port hits 5

SOC-1 Seagull acting as spotter for CA Northampton
CA Northampton firing at 2nd/B Division

Night Naval bombardment of Johore Bahru at 50,83

Allied Ships
CA Exeter
CA Canberra
CL Glasgow
CL Mauritius

Japanese ground losses:
344 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 6 destroyed, 43 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Resources hits 2
Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 18
Port hits 3
Port supply hits 2

CA Exeter firing at 2nd/A Division
CA Canberra firing at Johore Bahru

Sub attack near Pescadores at 84,62

Japanese Ships
xAK Asama Maru #2, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
CM Hatsutaka
DMS W-15
AK Awazisan Maru
AK Kinka Maru
xAP Palau Maru
xAP Keihuku Maru
xAK Izumo Maru
xAK Nisso Maru
xAK Africa Maru
PB Yasushima Maru
PB Nanei Maru
PB Ichiyo Maru
PB Kenan Maru

Allied Ships
SS ShCh-126

SS ShCh-126 launches 2 torpedoes at xAK Asama Maru #2
ShCh-126 diving deep ....

Looks like BBs at Kuantan. Not sure if that is a CAP trap or something else going on. Once Singers reaches level 9 and I can add a LOT more strike planes, this kind of a move will be dicey for the IJN.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1138
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/15/2018 2:14:27 PM   
ny59giants

Can you try to hit "W" to show hexside control when you post screenshots? It make it easier for me, at least, to see what truly is happening in Malaya and Manchuria.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1139
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 3/20/2018 3:59:43 PM   
obvert

May 31, 1942

A small action up North on the 31st. The IJN jump my TF inserting an AA unit to Agattu. Too bad, but I simply didn't pick them up on search. I've got what I need in place now so I'll go quiet until the next big push around Attu.

In the DEI just a lot more units arriving! No action other than sub encounters.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR May 31, 1942

Night Time Surface Combat, near Attu Island at 153,49, Range 8,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Kuma
CL Tama, Shell hits 1
DD Shirakumo
DD Yuzuki
DD Yugao

Allied Ships
APD McKean, Shell hits 10, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
APD Stringham, Shell hits 2
xAP Matua, Shell hits 19, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Sosenka, Shell hits 10, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
xAK Veter Morya, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
Vehicles lost 25 (25 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Japanese Ships Reported to be Approaching!
Allied TF begins to get underway

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Agattu Island at 154,50

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 36 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 18

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 10
SBD-3 Dauntless x 15

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
SBD-3 Dauntless: 6 destroyed, 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
CL Tama

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb

Singers is halfway to level 9 fields!!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/20/2018 4:00:10 PM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1140
Page:   <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI