Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) Page: <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/19/2018 8:17:30 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Fort level 0 at Johore Bahru - your bombardments really did shut down his effort there! Well done!

Very surprising. Especially since the Japanese always gather there before the assault. I would have thought forts 3.

Also surprised this happened in one attack. They must have been worn out. Those are 70+exp divisions facing troops that are 51exp, 57 exp and 59 exp.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1321
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/19/2018 5:37:48 PM   
Lokasenna

No supplies to build the forts.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1322
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/20/2018 9:53:08 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

No supplies to build the forts.

Well, I'm talking long before the investment of Singers. It's 7 months ago.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1323
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/21/2018 4:17:09 AM   
Lokasenna

Even still, the last thing I'd have been doing in his position would have been "wasting" supplies on forts there.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1324
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/21/2018 8:32:38 AM   
obvert

quote:

Even still, the last thing I'd have been doing in his position would have been "wasting" supplies on forts there.

Even after the landing behind your lines when you moved your 6 divisions out of Singapore back to Johore Baru? He had over a month there before I started bombarding.

To me it's just conventional thinking that the Japanese will always win out in the opening, and therefore don't need to think about defence until later. That's what led to all of this happening in the first place, really.

I walked two undefeated Dutch units back into an empty Benkolen, and took it a day before dropping 10k Allied troops and a pile of supply into it. A fortified base force sitting there would have stopped me cold, and then none of this actually would have happened.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1325
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/21/2018 10:56:13 AM   
obvert

July 23, 1942

It's been a busy weekend, both in game(s) and in the sunny backyard, where I've almost now finished a shed renovation, turning it into a bit of a workshop/mancave.

I've been itching to report, as we've had some action. The IJN moved boldly up toward the Allied CVs. I'd planned to sit back and get everything in order, then slowly proceed. It was a solid piece of aggressive play by Lowpe, who forced a CV clash and again wrecked the strike capability of the Allied carriers. He set almost all zeros to CAP, and only one small Kate strike flew at the Allies.

The Allied strikes were damaged but 70+ planes made it through, and unfortunately all but one missed their targets. There were severe storms which probably hd some effect. One Albacore managed to get in close and got a solid, penetrating hit on Soryu. All of the IJN CVs were seen smoking during the strikes, so they've got some damage on them, and with two previous 1000lb bomb hits, Soryu has to be hurting after a torpedo blow as well. Subs will converge now and the Allied armada will head back to Singers to refresh. I have a few more groups to add, and I can still be dangerous here, but it'll be tougher now to inflict a deathblow on the KB.

That said, 50 or so subs completely surround this position, and a slowed CV is a vulnerable one. In fact the entire KB could be more vulnerable with some damage, and also traveling with the slow Hosho in the task force as well. The inclusion of Hosho tells me that they are already slowed, or the addition of the 18 airframes she carries wouldn't be worth it.

So, another delay here, but good progress on the overall plans. Alor Star is now a functioning air base with 800+ AV marching to cut the road from Georgetown to the East coast of Malaya. If I can break open that hex it'll be a foot race after that. Lots o chaos and trapped IJA units. I'll also land a full Indian Brigade and a tank regiment at Georgetown next turn. This is to prevent units from Georgetown moving out (or to take the base if they do). Since it's on the coast though, too, I could do well with only this force here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 22, 1942
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Groot Natoena at 59,80

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid detected at 39 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 100

Allied aircraft
Albacore I x 22
Fulmar II x 12
Martlet II x 14
Swordfish I x 13
F4F-3A Wildcat x 13
F4F-3 Wildcat x 15
F4F-4 Wildcat x 38
SBD-3 Dauntless x 39
TBF-1 Avenger x 40

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Albacore I: 4 destroyed, 7 damaged
Fulmar II: 1 destroyed
Martlet II: 4 destroyed
Swordfish I: 4 destroyed
F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat: 6 destroyed
SBD-3 Dauntless: 13 destroyed, 12 damaged
TBF-1 Avenger: 9 destroyed, 14 damaged
TBF-1 Avenger: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga
CV Soryu, Torpedo hits 1
CV Akagi
CVE Hosho

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x TBF-1 Avenger launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 22.4in Mk 13 Torp.
10 x TBF-1 Avenger launching torpedoes at 200 feet
7 x TBF-1 Avenger launching torpedoes at 200 feet
3 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb
9 x Swordfish I launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Mk XII Torpedo
5 x Albacore I launching torpedoes at 200 feet
7 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 3000'
2 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 3000'
3 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 2000'
1 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 2000'
8 x Albacore I launching torpedoes at 200 feet
2 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 4000'
4 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 4000'

CAP engaged:
Akagi-1 with A6M2 Zero (6 airborne, 13 on standby, 5 scrambling)
6 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 15000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 27 minutes
Ryujo-1 with A6M2 Zero (10 airborne, 22 on standby, 8 scrambling)
10 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 15000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 26 minutes
Junyo-1 with A6M2 Zero (9 airborne, 20 on standby, 7 scrambling)
9 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 15000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 32 minutes

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Terempa at 56,82

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid detected at 65 NM, estimated altitude 25,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 27 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 24
B5N2 Kate x 25

Allied aircraft
Fulmar II x 5
Sea Hurricane Ib x 8
Martlet II x 18
F4F-3A Wildcat x 5
F4F-3 Wildcat x 6
F4F-4 Wildcat x 65

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 10 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Sea Hurricane Ib: 1 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat: 2 destroyed

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/22/2018 9:28:56 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1326
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/21/2018 8:34:13 PM   
obvert

The KB strike was only one group of Kates. All were destroyed. As you can see, it's within Val range. So he held them back. Dangerous, but so far got away with it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1327
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/21/2018 8:35:51 PM   
obvert

The air losses were not fun to look at.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1328
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/21/2018 8:44:40 PM   
obvert

This is where we are now. The Allied fleet will move back to Singers and the subs will converge.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1329
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/21/2018 9:02:00 PM   
BBfanboy

Even with borked US torps, your subs must be driving him to distraction!

Do you know when the IJN gets a DC capable of going down to 300 feet?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1330
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/22/2018 3:27:07 AM   
Lokasenna

That would be the Type 95-Mod 2.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1331
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/22/2018 5:57:51 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

That would be the Type 95-Mod 2.

Available ...___?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1332
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/22/2018 7:33:03 AM   
Lokasenna

Depends on the class of DD. Some never get it (the oldest of the prewar DDs, most of which convert to APD or E anyway). Others get it very soon, as early as January 1942, I think. Still others get it as kind of a "second tier" of upgrades.

The Fubukis and Mutsukis all get it on 1/43. The Minekaze gets it a bit later in 1943. The Kamikaze is stuck with Type 95 until 4/44 when it gets the even better Type 2.

All of the "modern" DDs at war's start have Type 95-Mod 2 at the least (Hatsuharu, Shiratsuyu, Asashio, Kagero). The Yugumo gets the Type 2 right away, and all further large DD classes get them upon completion as well.

The Tachibana and Matsu classes also start with Type 2.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1333
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/22/2018 1:23:19 PM   
BBfanboy

Wow- I had no idea the roll-out was that variable! Thanks for the thorough explanation!

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1334
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/22/2018 2:40:49 PM   
obvert

quote:

Depends on the class of DD. Some never get it (the oldest of the prewar DDs, most of which convert to APD or E anyway). Others get it very soon, as early as January 1942, I think. Still others get it as kind of a "second tier" of upgrades.

The Fubukis and Mutsukis all get it on 1/43. The Minekaze gets it a bit later in 1943. The Kamikaze is stuck with Type 95 until 4/44 when it gets the even better Type 2.

All of the "modern" DDs at war's start have Type 95-Mod 2 at the least (Hatsuharu, Shiratsuyu, Asashio, Kagero). The Yugumo gets the Type 2 right away, and all further large DD classes get them upon completion as well.

Yep, and the other ASW elements the air crews, are now well trained up. I have to move them around a lot. Even though this looks static, the screen has about 55 subs in the shot out of about 75 now available in the area) it's usually for only a turn or two. I move 50+ subs manually about every two turns.

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/22/2018 2:42:29 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1335
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/22/2018 7:12:25 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

Yep, and the other ASW elements the air crews, are now well trained up. I have to move them around a lot. Even though this looks static, the screen has about 55 subs in the shot out of about 75 now available in the area) it's usually for only a turn or two. I move 50+ subs manually about every two turns.

I can't stand this part of the game. Way too much clicking. Setting sub PZs is the absolute worst in situations like this.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1336
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/22/2018 9:37:32 PM   
obvert

July 24, 1942

On the 24th the Allied fleets retire and the KB moves up toward Indochina. Just one hex in from of a bunch of subs. Most are "seen" but some are not, still.

Soem tense battles over Malaya, as we sent the 4Es after Temuloh, the biggest inland base the Japanese still have.

The troops at Johore do good work again today.

Tomorrow some surprises, I hope.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 24, 1942

Submarine attack near Jesselton at 67,83

Japanese Ships
xAP Tango Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS L-14

xAP Tango Maru is sighted by SS L-14
SS L-14 launches 4 torpedoes at xAP Tango Maru

Sub attack near Balabac at 68,83

Japanese Ships
xAP Palau Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS KX

SS KX launches 4 torpedoes

Morning Air attack on Temuloh , at 50,78

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 30 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 24
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 34

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 2 destroyed, 4 damaged
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-56 Thalia: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-57-I Topsy: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 1 destroyed, 14 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
11 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 10
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 13

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 10000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 20
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 25

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 18
P-400 Airacobra x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 1 destroyed
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 destroyed
Ki-56 Thalia: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 4 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
9 casualties reported

Airbase hits 7
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 9

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 10000 feet

Raid detected at 32 NM, estimated altitude 33,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 12
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 17

Allied aircraft
P-38E Lightning x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 3 destroyed
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 4 destroyed

No Allied losses

Raid detected at 27 NM, estimated altitude 34,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 2
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 6

Allied aircraft
P-39D Airacobra x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 1 destroyed
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 3 destroyed

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
19 x P-39D Airacobra sweeping at 28000 feet

Ground combat at Georgetown (49,74)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 3391 troops, 35 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 103

Defending force 652 troops, 2 guns, 37 vehicles, Assault Value = 57

Assaulting units:
Sasebo 5th SNLF
Ichiki Det.
2nd Fleet
5th Field Construction Battalion
20th AA Regiment
21th JNAF AF Unit

Defending units:
150th RAC Regiment
26th Indian Bde /2

Ground combat at Johore Bahru (50,83)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 33756 troops, 517 guns, 380 vehicles, Assault Value = 1168

Defending force 22351 troops, 155 guns, 29 vehicles, Assault Value = 495

Allied adjusted assault: 1150

Japanese adjusted defense: 107

Allied assault odds: 10 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-)
supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2077 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 180 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 23 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Guns lost 16 (1 destroyed, 15 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
683 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 57 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 18 disabled

Assaulting units:
11th Indian Division
18th British Division
22nd Australian Brigade
3rd Cavalry Regiment
1st USMC Tank Battalion
9th Indian Division
2nd Aus Hvy AA Regiment
22nd Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
109th RAF Adv Base Force
113th RAF Adv Base Force
134th Field Artillery Battalion
85th British AT Rgt /3

Defending units:
2nd/B Division
56th/C Division
56th/A Division
2nd/A Division
56th/B Division
2nd/C Division
4th/C Div /1

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1337
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/23/2018 8:47:55 AM   
obvert

So. I accidentally posted my Elephant AAR info here, and had to just transfer it over. I'l use the following posts today to try and flesh out this AAR now.

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/23/2018 9:40:54 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1338
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/23/2018 8:49:28 AM   
obvert

This is where the KB ended up after the last turn. As you can see, it's very close to a lot of danger. More subs are moving from Singers and from the Sulu Sea this way.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/23/2018 9:46:41 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1339
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/23/2018 8:50:36 AM   
obvert

July 25th was another hard fought turn in the air. This, however, the last battle of the day, is the most important part.

After a long transit from the WC to the EC, to Cape Town and up through Sumatra to Singapore, the 1st USMC para regiment jump at Patani and take the base!!!

They eject a base force and an air HQ with heavy losses, and around 15-20 planes are destroyed on the ground!!

Most importantly this means the Allies have a base to land more troops. Now I'll push up with the Allied CVs guarding to try to land more here in the next few days, depending on the position of KB and BBs.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/23/2018 9:52:59 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1340
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/23/2018 8:52:11 AM   
obvert

July 25, 1942

The Allied fleets were supposed to be near Patani this turn, waiting for a para strike and possibly landing troops on the 26th. The KB intervention has interrupted that plan. The para strikes still went in though, and one was successful at Patani. The other, at Surat Thani, ran into a Thai brigade and got a 1:2. I wonder though if the Thais can kick them out. If they hang on this will still block the rail. It probably does't matter much as the lower rail blocks will achieve the same.

Two bombardments went in at Georgetown, more troops land, and it looks like the Japanese have moved some forces out anyway. The tanks and Indian brigade here now would have a good shot at the base. That leaves another division at Taiping hanging by a thread and with no good retreat path.

In the air more fierce battles at Temuloh as the Japanese try to hang on there. I'll slow these down and refresh the 4Es now as shutting that base now isn't critical to the current plans.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 25, 1942

Night Naval bombardment of Georgetown at 49,74

Allied Ships
CL Capetown
CL Ceres
CL Dauntless
DD Norman
DD Nizam
DD Napier
DD Nestor

Japanese ground losses:
100 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Manpower hits 1
Fires 105
Airbase hits 8
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 46
Port hits 14
Port fuel hits 5
Port supply hits 3

CL Capetown firing at Georgetown
CL Ceres firing at Georgetown

Night Naval bombardment of Georgetown at 49,74

Allied Ships
CL Newcastle
CL Hobart
CL Achilles
DD King
DD Hotspur
DD Express
DD Litchfield

Japanese ground losses:
360 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 22 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Guns lost 3 (1 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Manpower hits 4
Fires 502
Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 22
Port hits 18
Port fuel hits 5
Port supply hits 6

Walrus II acting as spotter for CL Newcastle

Morning Air attack on Patani , at 51,73

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 31 NM, estimated altitude 35,550 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5
A6M3 Zero x 6

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIc Trop: 5 destroyed

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 20
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 14
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 4

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 4 damaged
A6M3 Zero: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 1 destroyed, 5 damaged

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 3

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 7000 feet

Morning Air attack on Kluong , at 50,82

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid detected at 29 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Allied aircraft
A-20A Havoc x 15
LB-30 Liberator x 3
B-25C Mitchell x 6
B-26 Marauder x 11

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
11 casualties reported

Airbase hits 7
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 24

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B-25C Mitchell bombing from 8000 feet
Airfield Attack: 6 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 13
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 11
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 1

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 2 damaged
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged

Runway hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 7000 feet

Afternoon Air attack on Patani , at 51,73

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid detected at 23 NM, estimated altitude 37,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5
A6M3 Zero x 5

Allied aircraft
P-38E Lightning x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 4 destroyed

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x P-38E Lightning sweeping at 32000 feet

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 1716 troops, 19 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 54

Defending force 2301 troops, 7 guns, 64 vehicles, Assault Value = 164

Assaulting units:
Sasebo 5th SNLF
2nd Fleet
20th AA Regiment
21th JNAF AF Unit

Defending units:
150th RAC Regiment
26th Indian Bde /2

Ground combat at Beaufort (66,87)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 2420 troops, 20 guns, 4 vehicles, Assault Value = 76

Defending force 2408 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 65

Japanese adjusted assault: 48

Allied adjusted defense: 145

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 3

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
117 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Allied ground losses:
101 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled

Assaulting units:
41st Naval Guard Unit
4th/A Div /2
23rd Port Unit
32nd Port Unit

Defending units:
1st Marine Raider Battalion
VII KNIL Battalion
Makassar KNIL Cdo
35th Avn Sup
I/43rd PS Inf Battalion
HQ TC Borneo

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 37301 troops, 561 guns, 583 vehicles, Assault Value = 1211

Defending force 20874 troops, 149 guns, 28 vehicles, Assault Value = 365

Allied adjusted assault: 716

Japanese adjusted defense: 31

Allied assault odds: 23 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-)
supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1707 casualties reported
Squads: 62 destroyed, 87 disabled
Non Combat: 10 destroyed, 54 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 3 disabled
Guns lost 17 (9 destroyed, 8 disabled)
Vehicles lost 3 (3 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Allied ground losses:
360 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 62 disabled

Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 10 (1 destroyed, 9 disabled)

Assaulting units:
9th Indian Division
3rd Cavalry Regiment
12th Armoured Regiment
18th British Division
11th Indian Division
7th Cav Recce Regiment
1st USMC Tank Battalion
22nd Australian Brigade
254th Armoured Bde /1
2nd Aus Hvy AA Regiment
113th RAF Adv Base Force
109th RAF Adv Base Force
85th British AT Rgt /3

Defending units:
56th/B Division
56th/C Division
2nd/A Division
56th/A Division
2nd/B Division
2nd/C Division
4th/C Div /1

Ground combat at Surat Thani (51,68)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 375 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 26

Defending force 2169 troops, 11 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 86

Allied adjusted assault: 8

Japanese adjusted defense: 13

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 0)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), op mode(-), preparation(-), morale(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
143 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 13 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 3 disabled

Engineers: 1 destroyed, 3 disabled

Allied ground losses:
19 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
3rd USMC Parachute Bn /1

Defending units:
3rd RTA/B Division
43rd Const Co

Ground combat at Patani (51,73)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 417 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 27

Defending force 1874 troops, 8 guns, 6 vehicles, Assault Value = 10

Allied adjusted assault: 8

Japanese adjusted defense: 4

Allied assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied forces CAPTURE Patani !!!

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 2 destroyed
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 9 destroyed
Ki-15-II Babs: 1 destroyed

Combat modifiers
Defender: preparation(-), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
858 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 31 destroyed, 41 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 7 (5 destroyed, 2 disabled)
Vehicles lost 5 (5 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Units retreated 2

Assaulting units:
1st USMC Parachute Bn /1

Defending units:
23rd Air Flotilla
93rd JAAF AF Bn

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/23/2018 11:02:46 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1341
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/23/2018 8:53:33 AM   
obvert

I don't have the turn file yet. Lowpe is keeping this one for a bit. I'm very curious to see where the KB ended up. The ops report doesn't give much of a hint in terms of search results about the KB location. Three big PBY groups were dropping paras, so some search wasn't in place this turn as well.

I do know a lot of Kates attacked subs near South Indochina, so I think the KB is still near there.

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/23/2018 11:12:39 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1342
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/23/2018 9:21:11 AM   
obvert

Ok. So finally got the turn back. Lowpe has a lot of family stuff happening, I gather, so more speed turns for a bit. No worries there.

Here are the air losses. Always nice to get some lost airframes while taking a base.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/27/2018 7:35:50 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1343
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/23/2018 9:22:50 AM   
obvert

Here is the info screen for an update on where we are.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/27/2018 7:36:31 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1344
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/23/2018 9:26:57 AM   
obvert

Here is the KB. I'll keep tightening the net, but won't rush in. I'd rather have him move over subs that haven't yet been seen.

The Allies fleets reorganise at Singers but will be heading out again imminently.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/27/2018 7:38:16 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1345
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/23/2018 1:57:20 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

July 25th was another hard fought turn in the air. This, however, the last battle of the day, is the most important part.

After a long transit from the WC to the EC, to Cape Town and up through Sumatra to Singapore, the 1st USMC para regiment jump at Patani and take the base!!!

They eject a base force and an air HQ with heavy losses, and around 15-20 planes are destroyed on the ground!!

Most importantly this means the Allies have a base to land more troops. Now I'll push up with the Allied CVs guarding to try to land more here in the next few days, depending on the position of KB and BBs.

At two miles per day, it's a long hike through the jungle to get from VP/Chumphon to Surat Thani. Your block there should last a while, and it cuts off supply to all those Japanese between lower Malaya and the end of the roads at Surat Thani. Well done!

It must have been especially satisfying to bag those 9 Tojos at Patani!

What are the Japanese ships at Alor Star? Mini-subs?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1346
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/23/2018 8:15:17 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

At two miles per day, it's a long hike through the jungle to get from VP/Chumphon to Surat Thani. Your block there should last a while, and it cuts off supply to all those Japanese between lower Malaya and the end of the roads at Surat Thani. Well done!

It must have been especially satisfying to bag those 9 Tojos at Patani!

What are the Japanese ships at Alor Star? Mini-subs?

Yeah, those are midgets. They're causing some havoc, but only sank one supply loaded xAK so far.

I'm curious where the Japanese paras are hanging out. I've not seen them at all this game.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1347
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/23/2018 8:32:54 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Yeah, those are midgets. They're causing some havoc, but only sank one supply loaded xAK so far.

I'm curious where the Japanese paras are hanging out. I've not seen them at all this game.

Perhaps you have shot down all his transports as he was trying to extract cadres of his trapped forces!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1348
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/29/2018 11:28:55 AM   
obvert

July 26, 1942

The 26th went well for the Allies but could have been better if Seawolf had landed a hit on Kaga near Brunei. The KB goes a bit dark, as Allied search is not good near NE Borneo. There are still more subs to negotiate though.

Shemya falls easily to the Allied shock later in the turn. This completes the reconquest of the Aleutians from the Japanese. Now we'll focus on the Russian islands to the NW. The Japanese have kindly build them up a bit, which will be nice when we take them soon.

Without air srength in the area Allied fleets are able to move with impunity. The IJN tried a contact a few turns before at Shemya, but I just waited an extra day dn then sent the forces in when I knew he was far enough to have to face a daytime battle with the Allied BBs.

On Malaya progress continues as Georgetown falls to the first DA. Japanese troops are still present in hex (they have no retreat path due to Allied forces there but can move to adjacent hexes) so I'll keep attacking and hopefully get to wipe out a few more troops before they are out. The 4Es also hit Victoria Point where a lot of IJ transports had gathered to probably pull out forces from the isolated bases on Malaya. No fighter cover though, so even at extended range 12 transports destroyed on the ground.

The DA in the hex between Alor Star and the path to Georgetown/Patani fails, but more troops are moving in there. I'll try again in a day or two.

The Allied fleets move out of Singers en masse and will aim to land some more troops at Patani.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR July 26, 1942
Sub attack near Kuantan at 52,81

Japanese Ships
SS I-155, hits 4

Allied Ships
DD Dale
BB Prince of Wales
BB North Carolina
DD Clark
DD Dewey
DD Monaghan
DD Aylwin

SS I-155 launches 2 torpedoes at DD Dale

Amphibious Assault at Shemya Island (154,49)

TF 455 troops unloading over beach at Shemya Island, 154,49

Allied ground losses:
37 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 9 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 5 (0 destroyed, 5 disabled)
Vehicles lost 2 (0 destroyed, 2 disabled)

13 troops of a USA 41 Rifle Squad lost from landing craft during unload of 102nd(Sep) Infantry Rgt /4

Sub attack near Brunei at 63,82

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga
DD Kazegumo
DD Oite
DD Uzuki
DD Shigure

Allied Ships
SS Seawolf

SS Seawolf launches 4 torpedoes at CV Kaga
Seawolf diving deep ....

Morning Air attack on Victoria Point , at 51,66

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-57-II Topsy: 1 destroyed on ground
MC-21 Sally: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 2 damaged

Airbase hits 5
Runway hits 18

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 7000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 4 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 15 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
LB-30 Liberator x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-57-II Topsy: 1 destroyed on ground

No Allied losses

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 12

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x LB-30 Liberator bombing from 8000 feet

Raid spotted at 3 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 0 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
H6K4 Mavis: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 2 damaged

Airbase hits 3
Runway hits 11

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 7000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 4 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Ground combat at Shemya Island (154,49)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 11453 troops, 164 guns, 81 vehicles, Assault Value = 355

Defending force 1957 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 31

Allied adjusted assault: 184

Japanese adjusted defense: 7

Allied assault odds: 26 to 1 (fort level 1)

Allied forces CAPTURE Shemya Island !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker: shock(+), fatigue(-)

Japanese ground losses:
1809 casualties reported
Squads: 40 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 68 destroyed, 8 disabled
Engineers: 5 destroyed, 0 disabled
Units destroyed 1

Allied ground losses:
339 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 47 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Assaulting units:
34th Infantry Regiment
19th Infantry Regiment
102nd(Sep) Infantry Regiment

Defending units:
64th Naval Guard Unit
42nd JNAF AF Unit
7th Base Force /1

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 17031 troops, 215 guns, 457 vehicles, Assault Value = 1439

Defending force 19224 troops, 139 guns, 24 vehicles, Assault Value = 288

Allied adjusted assault: 393

Japanese adjusted defense: 29

Allied assault odds: 13 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), disruption(-), preparation(-)
fatigue(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1142 casualties reported
Squads: 23 destroyed, 79 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 10 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 13 (3 destroyed, 10 disabled)
Vehicles lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
355 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 38 disabled

Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled

Assaulting units:
11th Indian Division
2nd Loyal Battalion
14th Armoured Regiment
22nd Australian Brigade
18th British Division
9th Indian Division
12th Armoured Regiment
1st USMC Tank Battalion
7th Cav Recce Regiment
2nd Gordons Battalion
147th(Sep) Infantry Regiment
2/17 Dogra Battalion
3rd Cavalry Regiment
254th Armoured Bde /1
1st USMC Field Artillery Battalion
113th RAF Adv Base Force
109th RAF Adv Base Force
2nd Aus Hvy AA Regiment
85th British AT Rgt /3

Defending units:
56th/C Division
2nd/B Division
56th/A Division
2nd/A Division
2nd/C Division
56th/B Division

Ground combat at 50,74 (near Georgetown)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 9980 troops, 85 guns, 390 vehicles, Assault Value = 597

Defending force 7989 troops, 51 guns, 93 vehicles, Assault Value = 224

Allied adjusted assault: 174

Japanese adjusted defense: 305

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
707 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 83 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Vehicles lost 11 (2 destroyed, 9 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
659 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 62 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 9 disabled
Vehicles lost 13 (1 destroyed, 12 disabled)

Assaulting units:
44th Indian Brigade
13th Armoured Regiment
182nd Infantry Regiment
2nd Tank Battalion
17th Australian Brigade
7th Armoured Brigade

Defending units:
Ichiki Det.
91st Naval Guard Unit
3rd RTA/A Division
14th Tank Regiment
III/124th Infantry Bn /4
5th Field Construction Battalion
51st JNAF AF Unit

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 3261 troops, 32 guns, 85 vehicles, Assault Value = 171

Defending force 4098 troops, 59 guns, 14 vehicles, Assault Value = 53

Allied adjusted assault: 146

Japanese adjusted defense: 9

Allied assault odds: 16 to 1 (fort level 3)

Allied forces CAPTURE Georgetown !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: forts(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: leaders(+), fatigue(-)

Japanese ground losses:
459 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 39 disabled
Non Combat: 10 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 5 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 33 (24 destroyed, 9 disabled)
Vehicles lost 11 (11 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Assaulting units:
150th RAC Regiment
26th Indian Brigade

Defending units:
Sasebo 5th SNLF
2nd Fleet
20th AA Regiment
21th JNAF AF Unit

42nd JNAF AF Unit Wiped Out at Shemya Island by attrition!!!

Japanese Unit(s) Wiped Out at Shemya Island by attrition!!!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1349
RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe... - 5/29/2018 11:41:38 AM   
obvert

Japanese forces are now completely encircled from multiple recent landings and the paradrops forward of their positions on Malaya. I'll get in enough to tighten the noose, but keep some forces for the next stage infiltration, which will make the Japanese position in Burma very tenuous.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1350
Page:   <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) Page: <<   < prev  43 44 [45] 46 47   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI