Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Queestion for Developers or Scenario Designers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Queestion for Developers or Scenario Designers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Queestion for Developers or Scenario Designers - 3/31/2017 12:08:20 AM   
JPFisher55

Now that Command has port implementation is it possible to design a scenario that is a campaign, rather than using several related scenarios.
Couldn't you have ships/subs and planes with long ready times at ports and airbases which are essentially reinforcements? With the new ability to transport
mobile units by ship would it be possible to have SAM units be transported to areas for reinforcement?

I realize that accurate logistics would not be possible so campaigns would have to be played with unlimited ammo, but why not have a weeks to months long scenario?

The only issue I see is that with many units the game play would be slow which is a problem with a couple of very large campaign like scenarios that I am currently playing on occasion.
Post #: 1
RE: Queestion for Developers or Scenario Designers - 3/31/2017 1:33:03 AM   
Rory Noonan

Yes this is possible. See NF12.6 (3 days) or my new scenario SIMEX (8 days), surely there's others too.

(in reply to JPFisher55)
Post #: 2
RE: Queestion for Developers or Scenario Designers - 3/31/2017 1:54:18 AM   
mikmykWS

Logistics can now be handled with lua as you can replenish mags. Ports work as does replenishment. You can also use lua to do cleanup of units and old battle sites etc. The issue are some damage and repair things but there are some work arounds.

Think just mapping out the AI would be hardest.

Mike

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 3
RE: Queestion for Developers or Scenario Designers - 3/31/2017 10:16:04 AM   
Gunner98

It is possible (and getting more so) but am not sure how practical it is. Northern Fury 12.6 was my attempt at this and it is still a work in progress. As Mike says, the AI planning is the tricky bit, how do you keep it interesting for the player for that long. Probably not impossible, but not easy. Very hard to plan for action several (never mind dozens) of days into the game. The player has a vote, and a splendidly crafted enemy ambush could go off perfectly, except the player has completely avoided it

NF12.6 is 30+ days long (34 I think) has quite a few sides and is rather large. It works, and people seem to enjoy it. It was fun to build, but I am not sure it will ever be complete, it takes a serious investment of time and energy to build and also to play. Not all players are interested in something this large so it is for a select audience. To the best of my knowledge only a dozen players have seriously attempted it and only a few have reached the second week. Don’t know of anyone who has actually finished it. But it is all in the journey

Ports and repair were just emerging when this one first hit the street and I am not happy with the way I've used them. And now with the new Lua functions and the cargo function coming soon, this one is probably on the verge of being obsolete. The game improvements are fantastic and are making the building and playing of beasts like this more do-able. I’ll probably try another one like it when I get into Pacific Fury! Yiks!

If anyone does attempt something like this, smaller in scope would be better, easier, probably more interesting, and more feasible. Sharpen up your Lua skills and remember that the fun is in the doing.

Cheers.

< Message edited by Gunner98 -- 3/31/2017 10:17:33 AM >

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 4
RE: Queestion for Developers or Scenario Designers - 3/31/2017 5:04:45 PM   
JPFisher55

Gunner, I'm in the start of 12.6. I do occasionally play it, but it will take me a long time to finish it. It is very well designed like all your scenarios. However, due to so many units, you can only play it so fast. Ideally, a convoy scenario would play fast. A campaign like the whole Northern Fury series in one scenario would not only play much faster, but you could account for losses. Like all warfare, slow periods would interspace with fast periods. Hopefully, with many ships and planes at ports/bases, the slow periods could be speeded up by time compression and the fast periods slowed down.

In 12.6, 15x is the fastest time compression that makes a difference on my computer which is fairly fast. It is more like 2-3 seconds to 1. I wish that I could get a true 15-1 for that scenario. However, that is a game limitation. Command is much faster than a year ago, so maybe in another year it will be fast enough to really play scenarios like 12.6 all at once.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 5
RE: Queestion for Developers or Scenario Designers - 3/31/2017 8:11:02 PM   
Gunner98

Thanks for the kind words.

I am thinking that the full Northern Fury Campaign in one scenario would be interesting if/when multi-player is available. I'm usually not a proponent of multi player games but in this case a build that goes for 3-4 months with the forces gradually aligning would be fun and the only real way it would work. I think it would be much more feasible than trying to program an opponent with multiple CVs and SAGs, dozens of air wings and submarines, several Divisions worth of ground forces (just the AD eqpt)etc.

I would be interested in building and playing that I think.

B

(in reply to JPFisher55)
Post #: 6
RE: Queestion for Developers or Scenario Designers - 3/31/2017 9:21:19 PM   
JPFisher55

Gunner, you make a good point. Controlling the AI for that long period of time would be difficult. I've never participated in multi-player.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Queestion for Developers or Scenario Designers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI