Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/12/2018 2:06:13 AM   
Pocus

ok, no worries, I just had to ask
Something much more humble, I often have trouble predicting how much time a ship will need to reach its destination. Adding an ETA for the next order (if a move) would be nice. Or at least the distance, and I'll do the math.

AGEOD Team

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 631
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/12/2018 1:22:49 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pocus

ok, no worries, I just had to ask
Something much more humble, I often have trouble predicting how much time a ship will need to reach its destination. Adding an ETA for the next order (if a move) would be nice. Or at least the distance, and I'll do the math.

Distance is already in there but is undocumented. It's something I use for testing. Select a ship and mark it as the fighter targrt (Alt-4). Then select something that you want to know the distance from that and press Ctrl-D. If the game is paused you will see the distance as a popup. If the game is running you will see it as a scrolling message.

BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 632
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/13/2018 6:12:14 AM   
DasTactic

I'm getting this out of memory error when I try to talk to various races in diplomacy. Not sure if this from the Bacon Mod or not. I can reproduce it by flicking from screen to screen in diplomacy with any of the factions.

< Message edited by Das123 -- 6/13/2018 6:13:11 AM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 633
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/13/2018 12:17:24 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Das123

I'm getting this out of memory error when I try to talk to various races in diplomacy. Not sure if this from the Bacon Mod or not. I can reproduce it by flicking from screen to screen in diplomacy with any of the factions.

To be clear, this is when clicking through the different empires and not when clicking the talk to button, right? If so, the only change I made in this area was to improve the background colors to make the text a bit more readable. The chaing the Shadow setting in the BaconSettings.txt to
Shadow=true

This will restore the barely readable default colors. If you are playing with many races maybe you hit some sort of limit.

If that doesn't work you can also try replacing the Bacon-modified exe with the original one and see if the error goes away.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 634
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/13/2018 6:22:31 PM   
DasTactic

I tried a few things and recorded the process if that helps...

Bacon Mod Bug Report

It seems the TradeEverything flag was the issue.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 635
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/13/2018 8:17:51 PM   
Pocus

@Roger ... About Free Traders (best feature ever to fix infuriating shortages). I'm trying to use a few as they are also intended, i.e real trading.
First, can it be assumed that the cost of a resource is in inverse proportion to its availability (if a world has a lot of Caslon, it is cheap there, etc.). If not, what are the factors?

Second, I have my home world with negative prices on purchase (me purchasing). Is it a bug? Or just to tell me they refuse selling to me?

--
unrelated: Helium is not part of the basic bundle for stations, i.e the 50 or 25 added as the tiny reserve for upgrade. It means that each time you do an upgrade requiring some Helium, you get a shortage.

< Message edited by Pocus -- 6/13/2018 8:36:28 PM >

AGEOD Team

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 636
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/13/2018 8:31:16 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

I tried a few things and recorded the process if that helps...

Bacon Mod Bug Report

It seems the TradeEverything flag was the issue.

Hi Das. I watched the video. I'm glad you got it working. Even if you have to disable 'TradeEverything' you can still assign specific items you own as tradable with Control-T.
It is strange that it gives an error though. Some people reported that screen taking up to 10 minutes to open in large games because they had hundreds of tradable items and no one reported a crash.
In your video I saw that you didn't run the game directly from the exe. Are you using the autorun.exe launcher? I've never done that. Be sure to exit completely out of the game if you change the BaconSettings. Also, always press a key to initialize settings before you do anything. Failing to do so can cause erratic behavior.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 637
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/14/2018 9:29:49 AM   
DasTactic

I started uploading a new series today and one of the comments was asking about the numbers showing in the freighters and mining ships section of the purchase ships window. I hadn't realised but this only shows the private sector numbers and not the actual totals of state and private. If the advisor is only using private sector counts then that would explain why the numbers they ask for are so bloated all the time.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 638
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/14/2018 10:17:19 AM   
Kothyxaan

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

In your video I saw that you didn't run the game directly from the exe. Are you using the autorun.exe launcher? I've never done that. Be sure to exit completely out of the game if you change the BaconSettings. Also, always press a key to initialize settings before you do anything. Failing to do so can cause erratic behavior.

I thought you no longer needed to do the key click before play now. Is it because he is not using the .exe to run the game?

< Message edited by Kothyxaan -- 6/14/2018 10:18:43 AM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 639
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/14/2018 1:08:32 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

I started uploading a new series today and one of the comments was asking about the numbers showing in the freighters and mining ships section of the purchase ships window. I hadn't realised but this only shows the private sector numbers and not the actual totals of state and private. If the advisor is only using private sector counts then that would explain why the numbers they ask for are so bloated all the time.

Advisor decisions are in a part of the game I haven't looked at since I typically run full manual and never see their suggestions. Considering that state ships might not be set on auto and available for the advisor to use its probably a good thing that he doesn't take them into account.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kothyxaan

I thought you no longer needed to do the key click before play now. Is it because he is not using the .exe to run the game?

For awhile you did not. There was an issue I ran into where starting a new game, then going back to the main screen and re-rolling a new galaxy would cause some settings to not be re-initialized so I made the game wait for a key entry to initialize settings. If you are just loading up a saved game and running with it you are probably still good but it never hurts to hit a key right away anyway. I've gotten in to the habit.

(in reply to Kothyxaan)
Post #: 640
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/14/2018 5:44:21 PM   
Vellarain

Alright,

So I keep running into this error every single time at the same time in my current game.

The only other mod I am running with Bacon is Beyond, nothing fancy, I think I only turned off the asteroid colonization and the infrastructure investment.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/61jc2ugvlcdn0to/Untitled.png?dl=0

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 641
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/14/2018 6:15:25 PM   
Pocus

Still faced with 2 issues I can't solve somehow.

1. Why prices on some planets are all negative, when checking with a free trader?

2. I never manage to manually unload a freighter with alt-U. I order him to move to the planet, once I get the notification the order is done, I hit ALT-U. The freighter somehow accelerate to speed 3, but nothing else happens.

AGEOD Team

(in reply to Vellarain)
Post #: 642
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/14/2018 6:30:01 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vellarain

Alright,

So I keep running into this error every single time at the same time in my current game.

The only other mod I am running with Bacon is Beyond, nothing fancy, I think I only turned off the asteroid colonization and the infrastructure investment.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/61jc2ugvlcdn0to/Untitled.png?dl=0

What settings were you using for
allowInfrastructureImprovements=true
infrastuctureDurability=0.9

I've wrapped the code in a try-catch block to get past the error but it shouldn't have thrown an overflow exception.

(in reply to Vellarain)
Post #: 643
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/14/2018 6:34:13 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

Still faced with 2 issues I can't solve somehow.

1. Why prices on some planets are all negative, when checking with a free trader?

2. I never manage to manually unload a freighter with alt-U. I order him to move to the planet, once I get the notification the order is done, I hit ALT-U. The freighter somehow accelerate to speed 3, but nothing else happens.

Hi,

1 Are you using a free trader or a free miner? (A ship with extractors). If the later, I mention that the cost of extraction is abstracted into the market price. Those negative values you are4 seeing are the difference between local market price and galactic price AFTER subtracting the real cost to extract resources. It prevents "free money". You should never see negative values for a free trader that doesn't have extractors and is buying and selling like a regular freighter.

2. Sorry for the confusion. RIGHT after issuing the order to move to a base/planet, give the ctrl-U order. It will insert a "Unload" action into the mission. If you wait until the ship has arrived at the base/planet, its too late.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 644
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/14/2018 7:11:33 PM   
Pocus

1.Aaaah, I use a 'combo-design', a somehow huge behemoth in philosophy close to the East Indiamen of the Age of Sails (but even more versatile). So indeed, the merchantman has a luxury extractor, so that if there is a downtime, it is paying for its bill by extracting some resources. It seems I'm working against your game design here, as it prevents most trade operations in the end.

2. ok got it! Your readme don't mention this ctrl-U order and how it is special, if you want to update it for the future generations
Also not clear at first is that ctrl-E is used to input any order with !. It is described as being used to search for a ship after its name, that's all.

edit: Something odd perhaps? I have a spy captured by the Caleph, then one year after I lose another spy to a pirate factions. Some months after, the pirates say they can ransom my 2nd spy. But the ctrl-P screen only show my initial spy. I waited 2 months after their announcement, and nothing new under the sun? Can it be that you have a bug and you only show one spy at a time?

< Message edited by Pocus -- 6/14/2018 7:19:52 PM >

AGEOD Team

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 645
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/14/2018 7:36:11 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

1.Aaaah, I use a 'combo-design', a somehow huge behemoth in philosophy close to the East Indiamen of the Age of Sails (but even more versatile). So indeed, the merchantman has a luxury extractor, so that if there is a downtime, it is paying for its bill by extracting some resources. It seems I'm working against your game design here, as it prevents most trade operations in the end.

2. ok got it! Your readme don't mention this ctrl-U order and how it is special, if you want to update it for the future generations
Also not clear at first is that ctrl-E is used to input any order with !. It is described as being used to search for a ship after its name, that's all.

edit: Something odd perhaps? I have a spy captured by the Caleph, then one year after I lose another spy to a pirate factions. Some months after, the pirates say they can ransom my 2nd spy. But the ctrl-P screen only show my initial spy. I waited 2 months after their announcement, and nothing new under the sun? Can it be that you have a bug and you only show one spy at a time?

1 Right. Try it with just a regular state freighter. You will see regular prices.
2 I've updated the readme. The humble "ship finder" just found ships back when I made it.

I've seen more than 10 spies sitting in prison waiting to be ransomed so I know it handles more than one. It may be sending the wrong message. I'll look in to it. Right now I'm investigating a bigger bug, which I will talk about in the next post.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 646
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/14/2018 7:39:40 PM   
RogerBacon

Hi all,

Busy day on the forums. Well, it seems a particularly big bug crept into the game some time back. I'm surprised no one noticed but I guess I didn't notice until yesterday. It seems once a system becomes visible (due to explorer, base or any other ship entering it) it remains visible to that empire forever.
I've been looking into it this morning and I believe it was related to the fix I made to the explorer ships being stuck near a star perpetually thinking it was unexplored. I'll work on this and hopefully have a fix for this weekend. Until then, I guess we all have the omniscience trait from Moo2. :)

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 647
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/14/2018 7:48:22 PM   
Vellarain

Ohh, I might have set it to 1.0, so my investments stick around... that could be the problem eh?

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 648
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/14/2018 8:40:23 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

Ohh, I might have set it to 1.0, so my investments stick around... that could be the problem eh?

Well mathematically it shouldn't be. I assumed some people might do that. However, it would be incredibly unbalancing since infrastructure indirectly translates into extra money. Its part of the calculation for a planet's income. Best to let those roads and bridges decay a little. :)

(in reply to Vellarain)
Post #: 649
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/14/2018 8:53:12 PM   
Vellarain

I think that was the only value I changed, yet I am getting this crash over it. I even changed it to false and it is still happening at the exact same moment. Heck, I haven't even used the boost yet myself.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 650
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/14/2018 11:04:58 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

I think that was the only value I changed, yet I am getting this crash over it. I even changed it to false and it is still happening at the exact same moment. Heck, I haven't even used the boost yet myself.

The Ai probably used it. I'm afraid you are stuck until the next patch (which should be out this weekend hopefully). Start a fresh game and leave the infrastructure off or at default values and see if you still have issues.

(in reply to Vellarain)
Post #: 651
RE: Bacon Mod - 6/14/2018 11:26:32 PM   
sotthata

quote:

I've encountered a pretty reproducible bug. Bacon related? No idea. I'm running 1.69.

Whenever I try and have an explorer "Explore Sector" and it first chooses a black hole (as indicated by a dashed yellow line), a moment later the arrow will switch to A1 (0,0) and the explorer will warp to that position.

If I manually tell it to explore the black hole and then tell it to explore the sector, it behaves properly.

Bacon, did you ever notice this behavior? I've not had a chance to play 1.7x, yet, and my systems have been fully explored at this point, anyway.

(in reply to sotthata)
Post #: 652
RE: Bacon Mod - 6/15/2018 1:17:06 AM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: sotthata

quote:

I've encountered a pretty reproducible bug. Bacon related? No idea. I'm running 1.69.

Whenever I try and have an explorer "Explore Sector" and it first chooses a black hole (as indicated by a dashed yellow line), a moment later the arrow will switch to A1 (0,0) and the explorer will warp to that position.

If I manually tell it to explore the black hole and then tell it to explore the sector, it behaves properly.

Bacon, did you ever notice this behavior? I've not had a chance to play 1.7x, yet, and my systems have been fully explored at this point, anyway.

I have not. I usually have my explorers automated. I have seen them explore black holes but I have not tried the "explore sector". I'll see if I can reproduce it. I know that there may be a few rare cases left where ships heard to 0,0 although I ran several games on full auto for a long time and then checked the 0,0 location and didn't see any ships there.

It is normal in the mod for you to occasionally see vector lines pointing to 0,0 , such as when a constructor is building a base. It's a leftover type thing because the ship has no current target but is still doing its mission of building the base. The ships don't actually go there though.

(in reply to sotthata)
Post #: 653
RE: Bacon Mod - 6/15/2018 1:19:36 AM   
RogerBacon

Version 1.71 released.
Fixed the always visible systems once explored bug. Note that in games started with a prior version the systems will still remain visible until the next time the game would change them to explored. That happens when your last ship leaves the system.

Added settings to BaconSettigns.txt to set speed for out of fuel ships.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 654
RE: Bacon Mod - 6/15/2018 3:34:24 AM   
Pocus

Ooooh shiny, the penalty to out of fuel, big thanks!
I did notice indeed that the fog of war was lifted permanently. Somehow I think I believed one of my allies had view on it.
I was intrigued too by these 0/0 coordinates.

question/remark: Helium is not part of the 'maintained stockpile' for stations. As such any upgrade requiring some will have the upgrade stalled until the civilian sector kicks in (and it can be a while as you know).

I have trouble making the 'out of fuel speed' setting works. In version 0.71, and I have stopped and restarting some ships that were out of fuel, still at 0.33, despite:
noFuelCruiseSpeedMultiplier=0.60
noFuelTopSpeedMultiplier=0.55
noFuelHyperSpeedMultiplier=0.50

< Message edited by Pocus -- 6/15/2018 5:34:50 AM >

AGEOD Team

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 655
RE: Bacon Mod - 6/15/2018 12:51:11 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

question/remark: Helium is not part of the 'maintained stockpile' for stations. As such any upgrade requiring some will have the upgrade stalled until the civilian sector kicks in (and it can be a while as you know).

I was unaware of that. I never looked at upgrade stockpiles until I made the recent change allowing users to set a target level. It is strange that Helium would be excluded.

quote:

I have trouble making the 'out of fuel speed' setting works. In version 0.71, and I have stopped and restarting some ships that were out of fuel, still at 0.33, despite:
noFuelCruiseSpeedMultiplier=0.60
noFuelTopSpeedMultiplier=0.55
noFuelHyperSpeedMultiplier=0.50

Once a ship is out of fuel a flag is set and its speeds are changed. When it receives fuel the flag is removed and its speds are reset. So, you won't see any changes you make on ships that are already out of fuel. Sorry for not mentioning that.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 656
RE: Bacon Mod - 6/15/2018 5:12:17 PM   
RogerBacon

It has come to my attention that I have omitted a setting in the BaconSettings.txt file.I'll be sure to add it in the next version. In the meantime everyone can just add he following section. I put it after the researchperlab but it can go anywhere.

// These values determine how much scientific data a science ship will receive for discovering a resource or a ruins that contains a discovery. Ruins that contain nothing will give no data.
scientificDataForResourceSurvey=3
scientificDataForRuins=90

With out this entry the games is using the default values of 3 and 30.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 657
RE: Bacon Mod - 6/15/2018 5:34:13 PM   
DasTactic

quote:

It has come to my attention that I have omitted a setting in the BaconSettings.txt file.I'll be sure to add it in the next version. In the meantime everyone can just add he following section. I put it after the researchperlab but it can go anywhere.

// These values determine how much scientific data a science ship will receive for discovering a resource or a ruins that contains a discovery. Ruins that contain nothing will give no data.
scientificDataForResourceSurvey=3
scientificDataForRuins=90

With out this entry the games is using the default values of 3 and 30.

Thanks Roger. Can you please include the game defaults in the comment when it is in the final file? It's handy to use that as a reference.

Also, I'm not sure if you are receiving the PMs through the forum. I'd sent a couple and replied to yours.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 658
RE: Bacon Mod - 6/15/2018 6:33:01 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

Thanks Roger. Can you please include the game defaults in the comment when it is in the final file? It's handy to use that as a reference.

Also, I'm not sure if you are receiving the PMs through the forum. I'd sent a couple and replied to yours.

Well, the defaults are 3 and 30 but since then I've felt that 90 would be a better value for ruins so I'll probably make that the default going forward. I received one message from you. Looking forward to watching your next episode.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 659
RE: Bacon Mod - 6/15/2018 7:43:06 PM   
DasTactic

quote:

Well, the defaults are 3 and 30 but since then I've felt that 90 would be a better value for ruins so I'll probably make that the default going forward. I received one message from you. Looking forward to watching your next episode.

I agree that 90 works better than the game default. I just meant that in the comment section it would be good to know that the game default is 30 but that you have tweaked it 3x.

I've got the episodes scheduled 1 per day for about 4 hours from now. :) I really love the look of the space battles now in the mod inside the gravity well. :)

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 660
Page:   <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI