Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/4/2020 2:44:04 PM   
glorm

I thought of that early on in my troubleshooting the second popup just never shows up. I also thought about the version being the reason why it doesn't work since it is a new version and all, so I installed version 1.79 first since it is the latest release and when that didn't work I installed version 1.77 on a clean install of distant worlds universe and the same issue persisted. I can only assume I don't have some service package or some piece of software your mod requires that the base version of distant worlds universe does not because I can play that game fine. The fact that this issue persists through a clean installation of windows tells me this has to be some sort of missing required software I doubt my hardware is to blame it's all pretty run of the mill specification wise.

If you want more information I will provide anything you need, I just really want to play with this mod besides if I can help you out for the other 1% of users where this mod doesn't work I will be glad.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 991
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/5/2020 1:11:32 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: glorm

I thought of that early on in my troubleshooting the second popup just never shows up. I also thought about the version being the reason why it doesn't work since it is a new version and all, so I installed version 1.79 first since it is the latest release and when that didn't work I installed version 1.77 on a clean install of distant worlds universe and the same issue persisted. I can only assume I don't have some service package or some piece of software your mod requires that the base version of distant worlds universe does not because I can play that game fine. The fact that this issue persists through a clean installation of windows tells me this has to be some sort of missing required software I doubt my hardware is to blame it's all pretty run of the mill specification wise.

If you want more information I will provide anything you need, I just really want to play with this mod besides if I can help you out for the other 1% of users where this mod doesn't work I will be glad.

I see you installed the last version of the XNA framework but what about the dot net framework? Make sure you have a recent version of the dot net fram3ework installed and try to get version 1.77 to run. If it works then try 1.79. Up through version 1.77 I was very careful not to add dependency requirements that the base game didn't use. After 1.77 I tried for about a year to get a couple new features to work which never did and I probably added all sorts of dependencies while trying that . I believe I rolled them all back but that's not your issue anyway since even the old version doesn't work for you.

BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08

(in reply to glorm)
Post #: 992
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/5/2020 5:02:29 PM   
glorm

So correct me if I am wrong but the latest versions of windows have the dot NET Framework preinstalled. When trying to install the latest version of the dot NET framework or any version for that matter I receive the message "dot NET Framework 4.8 or a later update is already installed on this computer.". Some more details on my issue, so when I run the executable as an administrator and the first popup shows and I click ok like I said before the game seems to be running as a process in the background. I analyze the wait chain in the process, and it says "One or more threads of DistantWorlds.exe are waiting in status." Not sure if that information is at all helpful to you.

Something else I want to note, is that this morning without changing literally anything on my system I deleted and reinstalled distant worlds universe, and the latest version of the bacon mod and to my complete shock and surprise both popups appeared and my game launched without fail. In the welcome screen though giving me details of if I am a new player or not with other details of the game the text was completely garbled. I decided to exit the game and try to launch it again and then I couldn't launch it with the same symptoms that I have been describing here. Thanks for your persistence trying to walk me through this.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 993
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/6/2020 1:51:40 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: glorm

Something else I want to note, is that this morning without changing literally anything on my system I deleted and reinstalled distant worlds universe, and the latest version of the bacon mod and to my complete shock and surprise both popups appeared and my game launched without fail. In the welcome screen though giving me details of if I am a new player or not with other details of the game the text was completely garbled. I decided to exit the game and try to launch it again and then I couldn't launch it with the same symptoms that I have been describing here. Thanks for your persistence trying to walk me through this.

Boy that's some strange behavior from a deterministic machine. It almost sounds like a race condition between two threads. I'm not sure what left to try. I wouldn't normally suggest this but you sound like you have a lot of knowledge with computers so... When I first had DWU (unmodded) I had an issue where every time I tried to save the game it would crash. I ended up running the whole thing in a virtual machine and never saving. I would just pause the game and shut down the virtual machine. The problem only went away when I got a new computer.
Maybe you could try running it in a virtual machine and adjust the resources (cores, cpu speed) and see if that can get it to load.

(in reply to glorm)
Post #: 994
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/12/2020 3:04:33 PM   
Blueinstinct

Hello again, i want to report back that i succesfully added the figher and bomber bay components to the techtree of the Retreat UE + Bacon mod, it runs very nicely now.
However i have 1 slight issue with the bacon design:
If a ship runs out of fuel, or gets constructed without fuel, it takes forever to slowboat to the next gasmining station, especially the heavier ships like Colonizers, constructors or carriers.

So my question: Is it possible to increase the impulse thrust of an engine? i didnt find it in the components.txt
I really enjoy the gravity wells feature, the issue describe above is the only downside, and i think it would not hurt to just increase the impulse thrust if such a thing is possible.

edit: i found the following and added the numbers as stated:
noFuelCruiseSpeedMultiplier=5.9
noFuelTopSpeedMultiplier=7.0 in the baconsettings but it doesnt seem to do anything....

tnx for your continued support, its highly apreciated!

< Message edited by Blueinstinct -- 6/13/2020 12:30:33 AM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 995
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/14/2020 2:06:06 AM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blueinstinct

edit: i found the following and added the numbers as stated:
noFuelCruiseSpeedMultiplier=5.9
noFuelTopSpeedMultiplier=7.0 in the baconsettings but it doesnt seem to do anything....

tnx for your continued support, its highly apreciated!

Those settings, IIRC, are valid between 0.0 and 1.0. Default is 0.33 or one third speed. Setting them above 1.0 probably defaults to the 0.33 value. At 1.0 it means a ship out of fuel moves at the same speed as a ship with fuel.

You can also modify the hyperjump components to mitigate part of teh gravity well. It's in the documentation. In the Bacon mod I set the Warp bubble to only be affected by 50% of the gravity well since the early game ships suffer a lot from having slow engines and low max sizes.

(in reply to Blueinstinct)
Post #: 996
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/14/2020 10:50:41 AM   
Blueinstinct

Tnx alot, i will try 1.
The gravity wells are my favourite part of your mod, i love how in combat ships arent warping in and out of hyperspace permanently and everybody is just running away eventually.

Actually one of the most satisfying things was to punish those pirates who destroyed my crutial mining station since i cut them off on their way out... priceless!

cheers

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 997
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/15/2020 10:57:10 PM   
Blueinstinct

Hello Roger,i come with an update,I tried this:
noFuelCruiseSpeedMultiplier=0.98
noFuelTopSpeedMultiplier=0.99
noFuelHyperSpeedMultiplier=0.33
but i could not see any results. A frigate went from 23 to 8 fule/no fule speed; Did i set it up wrong again? I also tried the value 1 but didnt see any changes.

Sorry to bother you with this,i think this is a really great idea from you, and having it working, the benefits would be great, i just cant figure it out. If its working on your end, i just keep trying.
i alrdy deleted and reinstalled the game 2 times.

(i had a carrier fleet be constructed without fuel and they moved at speed 3 trying to reach the Warp point, it took them several years, the game was actually over before they reached the gasmining station :/)

cheers and tnx

Post #: 998
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/15/2020 11:53:02 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

Hello Roger,i come with an update,I tried this:
noFuelCruiseSpeedMultiplier=0.98
noFuelTopSpeedMultiplier=0.99
noFuelHyperSpeedMultiplier=0.33
but i could not see any results. A frigate went from 23 to 8 fule/no fule speed; Did i set it up wrong again? I also tried the value 1 but didnt see any changes.

Sorry to bother you with this,i think this is a really great idea from you, and having it working, the benefits would be great, i just cant figure it out. If its working on your end, i just keep trying.
i alrdy deleted and reinstalled the game 2 times.

(i had a carrier fleet be constructed without fuel and they moved at speed 3 trying to reach the Warp point, it took them several years, the game was actually over before they reached the gasmining station :/)

cheers and tnx

So a couple of things to be aware of. If the ship is already out of fuel it won't reevaluate its top speed until its components' status changes (component gets repaired or damaged).
If your Windows system is in a language that uses commas instead of decimal point for floating point numbers you may have to use the comma instead of the decimal point everywhere in your BaconSettings.txt file.

Post #: 999
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/18/2020 5:36:54 PM   
JamesHunt

Great mod

< Message edited by JamesHunt -- 6/18/2020 8:29:40 PM >

(in reply to Uncle Lumpy)
Post #: 1000
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/20/2020 6:51:47 PM   
rjonasz

Hello,

Just tried installing 1.7.9. The first pop up appears but after clicking OK nothing happens. The next pop up does not appear. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 2004. I also tried with 1.7.7 and no joy. The vanilla game runs fine.

Any help would be most welcome!

Cheers

(in reply to glorm)
Post #: 1001
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/21/2020 6:47:18 AM   
arvcran

rjonasz, this may be moot by now … have you looked to see the second grey pop up min window 'behind' the photo?
look for a second DWU window Icon at the bottom of your screen. Just select it to bring it to the front.

Actually now that I am here; who plays what mod with the Bacon exe version?

I'm trying the Retreat+Das chrome combo … just wondering if there are any better recommendations.

< Message edited by arvcran -- 6/21/2020 6:49:49 AM >

(in reply to rjonasz)
Post #: 1002
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/21/2020 1:00:28 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

I'm trying the Retreat+Das chrome combo … just wondering if there are any better recommendations.

That's what I use. You should still make some changes to some of the ship templates though. For example, adding labs to the exploration ships so the AI empires get the research bonus like you do.

(in reply to arvcran)
Post #: 1003
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/21/2020 1:08:42 PM   
rjonasz

Hello,
Thanks for the suggestion but there is no second pop up. I've tried looking for it.

(in reply to arvcran)
Post #: 1004
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/22/2020 4:13:22 AM   
arvcran

Not sure if this is the correct thread to use but I have issue/question with Pirate play and modded research projects.

When you play pirates and the starting tech is set to pre-warp, the pirates actually start with hyperdrive tech.
Am making a guess here ... but I think DW is hard coded to grant Pirates tech #166 (hyperdrive tech in original research.txt).

Perhaps it is done some other way that eludes me.

In the RetreatUI + Das Chrome mod the research #166 happens to be Stable Warp Drives. (reason why I post here is I suspect Roger may have access to verify this?)

The real problem here is in unmodded situation the Pirates have a significant hyperdrive advantage in speed and fuel efficiency over the empires (pre-warp situation) ... considering the Pirates' dismal research capabilities it is a significant thing they have going for them.

It may be moot seeing as the hyperdrives in retreat mod are pretty similar to the stable warp drives in energy use to speed and hence range.

(in reply to rjonasz)
Post #: 1005
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/22/2020 6:56:43 PM   
arvcran

I used the #combine <fleet_name> command while a fleet is selected.

saves a lot of time!

Help info states that the 'selected fleet' joins the named fleet and the selected fleet is disbanded.
What ends up happening is the reverse: named fleet is disbanded and joins selected fleet.

Having a lot of trouble getting Pirates going with all these mods :D!

(in reply to arvcran)
Post #: 1006
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/23/2020 1:52:03 PM   
Blueinstinct

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

quote:

That's what I use. You should still make some changes to some of the ship templates though. For example, adding labs to the exploration ships so the AI empires get the research bonus like you do.

Hello Roger, i am using the same, an as you know, i had troubles making the bombers work and also making use of the nofuelmultiplier modifiers.

If it was possible for you to upload the files you use for retreat UE mod (components, research, fighters) it would be deeply apreciated.

Also unfortunately i could not make the nofulemultipliers work in even the most basic setup:
I started a new game with no other mods, only bacon exe and settings.

I selected a starting warship, waited until it ran out of fuel, and its thrust went from 28 cruise speed with fuel, to 8 speed without.

I modified the nofulemultiplier to 0.98 cruise and 0.99 max
any ideas what might happened there?

And as always, thanks alot for your effort

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 1007
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/24/2020 1:17:22 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

If it was possible for you to upload the files you use for retreat UE mod (components, research, fighters) it would be deeply apreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/npv6xfxr9k93509/RetreatUE%20Bacon%20text%20files.zip?dl=0

Post #: 1008
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/24/2020 1:58:33 PM   
Blueinstinct

cool! i will try it out soon. Much apreciated.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 1009
RE: Bacon Mod - 6/28/2020 4:30:55 PM   
lunario

First of all, great mod, really love it.

There's two issue for me to play this mod:
1. Occasionally when my ship is in one system, the system info is not revealed. I noticed the bug fix in the change log. But for my game some time this occur and I need to use the ctrl+f to fix it. The systems where this occur include system that I've not explored and system I've been before. It does not have any pattern as far as I can tell. Anybody knows what cause this and how to fix it? This might be a problem in mid-late game.

2. It's about state built civilian ships. Can these ships auto-retrofit? I've never seen any of them retrofit themselves. If not is there an easy way to mass upgrade these ships? Finding them in a hundreds of ships' list is really annoying.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 1010
RE: Bacon Mod - 6/29/2020 12:53:42 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: lunario

1. Occasionally when my ship is in one system, the system info is not revealed. I noticed the bug fix in the change log. But for my game some time this occur and I need to use the ctrl+f to fix it. The systems where this occur include system that I've not explored and system I've been before. It does not have any pattern as far as I can tell. Anybody knows what cause this and how to fix it? This might be a problem in mid-late game.

Yeah. I noticed that bug is back and I also can't find out what causes it. Rest assured though that its only a visual problem. Your ship knows where everything is. So if you are not watching that system it makes no difference. If you are and you can't wait for it to auto-correct, which it will, just hit the ctrl-f.
In my case I've only seen it happen with explorers that are automated.

quote:

2. It's about state built civilian ships. Can these ships auto-retrofit? I've never seen any of them retrofit themselves. If not is there an easy way to mass upgrade these ships? Finding them in a hundreds of ships' list is really annoying.

State ships that are automated choose their own missions, which should include refit. If you want to refit one before that you can use the new filter on the shiplist screen "State Versions" to find state ships quickly.

(in reply to lunario)
Post #: 1011
RE: Bacon Mod - 6/29/2020 3:06:18 PM   
lunario

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: lunario

Yeah. I noticed that bug is back and I also can't find out what causes it. Rest assured though that its only a visual problem. Your ship knows where everything is. So if you are not watching that system it makes no difference. If you are and you can't wait for it to auto-correct, which it will, just hit the ctrl-f.
In my case I've only seen it happen with explorers that are automated.

quote:

State ships that are automated choose their own missions, which should include refit. If you want to refit one before that you can use the new filter on the shiplist screen "State Versions" to find state ships quickly.

Thanks for your kind reply, that's really helpful.
Hadn't noticed the "state version" before!
And the "system not showing" is OK I guess if it doesn't affect the exploring.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 1012
RE: Bacon Mod - 6/30/2020 9:18:41 PM   
mxmissile

Is there a high level writeup somewhere on how you made this mod? I assume your EXE just wraps the existing DistantWorlds.exe and uses P/Invoke to interact with memory offsets and values somehow and also for keyboard interception?

I have some QOL ideas that I would love to build into this game but having trouble getting the basics even working.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 1013
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 7/1/2020 10:50:11 AM   
rjonasz

Well I'm at my wit's end. Seeing everyone else report playing with this mod makes me green with envy! :) I've tried everything to get the 2nd pop up to appear but without success. Attached is the result of my last attempt. Any help would be most welcome!

I've tried vers 1.77, 1.78, and 1.79 on a clean install of Win 10 Pro. Vanilla game works fine.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to glorm)
Post #: 1014
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 7/1/2020 1:35:19 PM   
mxmissile

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjonasz

Well I'm at my wit's end. Seeing everyone else report playing with this mod makes me green with envy! :) I've tried everything to get the 2nd pop up to appear but without success. Attached is the result of my last attempt. Any help would be most welcome!

I've tried vers 1.77, 1.78, and 1.79 on a clean install of Win 10 Pro. Vanilla game works fine.

Have you tried disabling any anti virus software running?

(in reply to rjonasz)
Post #: 1015
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 7/1/2020 4:37:46 PM   
rjonasz

quote:

Have you tried disabling any anti virus software running?

Other than Microsoft's anti virus I have none installed

(in reply to mxmissile)
Post #: 1016
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 7/2/2020 12:20:54 AM   
mxmissile

Can you run a md5 checksum on the bacon DistantWorlds.exe?

The value should be e32fd4d18e4d6f09314816c4e7502db1 on version 1.79

Command line utility available here from Microsoft.

If it does not match, then something has altered your .exe, that error your getting has that impression.

(in reply to rjonasz)
Post #: 1017
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 7/2/2020 12:54:12 AM   
rjonasz

quote:

ORIGINAL: mxmissile

Can you run a md5 checksum on the bacon DistantWorlds.exe?

Thanks for your help!

(in reply to mxmissile)
Post #: 1018
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 7/2/2020 12:56:40 AM   
rjonasz

Oops, the checksum matches. Now I get this error after downloading the mod again.

(in reply to rjonasz)
Post #: 1019
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 7/2/2020 12:59:38 AM   
rjonasz

just learning the ropes of the forum. Bare with me.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjonasz)
Post #: 1020
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI