Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J) vs Gen Patton (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J) vs Gen Patton (A) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/8/2017 12:57:18 PM   
ny59giants

In almost three months of 'real life' we have now reached March '43. A lot has happened!! Most of it is good new for the Empire!!

Details to follow, but I'm going to ask some more questions about the Empire needs and running my economy better.
1) New Caledonia is in Allied hands and all three AFs are maxed out.
2) The 'siege' of Port Moresby continues and I 'may' not be able to bring it to an end. So, I've got troops moving across from Buna to open up hexsides and allow a withdrawl, if need be.
3) I still control southern India and it is producing excessive Resources and some Heavy Industry (HI) for the Empire. Periodic sweeps of Bombay encounter up to 200 various Allied fighters, but Mr George rules the skies. Tojo does ok.
4) Operation Squeeze continues as China steadily become more Japanese. I have two question about this theater. One, how to capture Chungking with over 60 enemy LCUs (over 200k in troops) there? Two, how to get the excessive oil (about 50k) from Urumchi to move? Kashgar in northern China remains in Allied hands. My two divisions (another on the way) have been harassed by heavy bombers from India as they chase down two weakened Chinese Corps.
5) Aleutians up to Cold Bay are part of the Empire except for Adak and Dutch Harbor. Adak is under siege and out of supply. Recent attack got 2:1 odds and brought forts down to 1. Hopefully, now that winter conditions are over and with a little more rest, I can recapture the base (20 LCUs and almost 40k in troops including a Marine division). Recently, both Umnak and Akutan were bombarded as my Emilys let me down. P38s and B-24s operate from Kodiak.
6) Subs...Subs...Subs - My warships have been fortunate and NOT been hit to date, but my merchant fleet was losing a ship per day when the dud rate went down on Jan 1st. Thanks to feedback from my thread on Japanese ASW, they have gone way down.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 91
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/8/2017 1:00:13 PM   
ny59giants

The economy is doing well. But is it doing well enough??

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 92
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/8/2017 1:04:50 PM   
ny59giants

Sunk warships as of 43 March 3rd - CV/CVL/CVE

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 93
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/8/2017 1:10:36 PM   
ny59giants

BB/BCs sunk as of 43 March 3rd. I would add BB WVa as she got 1 sub TT hit and then 4 from Kates and 14 bombs from Judys 9 hexes SSE of Noumea.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 94
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/8/2017 1:14:00 PM   
ny59giants

42 March 3rd - CA/CLs have taken it on the chin to date.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 95
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/8/2017 1:16:25 PM   
ny59giants

So many CA/CLs have been sunk, that I need another screenshot.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 96
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/8/2017 1:18:11 PM   
ny59giants

DDs - 37 Allied vs 7 Japanese

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 97
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/8/2017 1:25:33 PM   
ny59giants

43 Mar 3rd - I had ordered KB and company to do a Full Speed run to Efate area to attack pending invasion of Tanna. Over two days I sunk two French BC, 3 BBs, 3 CA, 3 CL, 6 plus DDs, 8 xAPs, and some other small shipping. I lost 3 DDs. The Allied invasion was done without any carriers. Just LRCAP from Noumea.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 98
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/8/2017 1:30:30 PM   
ny59giants

China - I'm making slow steady progress here. His supplies are almost complete gone. Any question for me here?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 99
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/8/2017 1:39:34 PM   
ny59giants

Resources...Resources...Resource - As you can see, I have some significant stockpiles at many bases outside of Japan. Per Tracker, I have 45 days worth at home. I get about 17k per day in surplus in India and I've moved lots of it to Rangoon.

Should I shift all those Aden TFs from Calcutta/Rangoon to Rangoon/Singapore??

Maybe I need to focus less on getting it from small bases producing it and more to places close to Japan??

This is why I updated this AAR this morning.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 100
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/8/2017 2:04:51 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

China - I'm making slow steady progress here. His supplies are almost complete gone. Any question for me here?

So, you are not taking CK? Then can you walk through your proposed defense perimeter plan?

Pax

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 101
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/8/2017 2:15:55 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Resources...Resources...Resource - As you can see, I have some significant stockpiles at many bases outside of Japan. Per Tracker, I have 45 days worth at home. I get about 17k per day in surplus in India and I've moved lots of it to Rangoon.

Should I shift all those Aden TFs from Calcutta/Rangoon to Rangoon/Singapore??

Maybe I need to focus less on getting it from small bases producing it and more to places close to Japan??

This is why I updated this AAR this morning.

I setup a system similar to historical in concept. Small xAKL's used to feed larger ports, then larger, well protected convoys to bring it all home. A lot of this depends upon fuel situation. If I am ahead of plan with fuel, then I will use it to move more resources home, if I am short, then I have some choices to make. I do this though just for historical flavor in my games against the AI.

Truthfully, in a stock game once you have Sakhalin/Hokkaido -> Ominato and PA/Fusan -> Fukuoka setup, you are resource balanced until the allies bomb those resource factories OR you are REALLY unlucky in your CHI bases conquests with all of the resource factories being damaged. But, normally you should balance with ~10K/day surplus. This is before getting the "Magic Highway" to work from Singers ...

So, if you are falling short, then I would look into just those two areas. If you need more details, you'll have to post some tracker shots for me to look at or send me a game save that I can load up to analyze.

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 10/8/2017 2:17:30 PM >

Pax

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 102
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/8/2017 3:08:32 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

So, if you are falling short, then I would look into just those two areas. If you need more details, you'll have to post some tracker shots for me to look at or send me a game save that I can load up to analyze.

PM sent

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 103
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/8/2017 3:17:46 PM   
ny59giants

Defense perimeter: Brian had invaded both Adak and Noumea within days of each other. I decided to focus on the Aleutians as New Caledonia is a long way from any economic assets. With his current CV force (plus losses) and Japan's builds, I should have mine all done by end of 43. He will need to focus on invasions that can be covered by LBA, for now. He had almost his whole Indian army wiped out in mid-42, so that area may be less viable than normal. In China, I would like to capture Chungking. But I can live with it still being heavily garrisoned to prevent a break out. In this mod you get extra CD units, so the obvious places are already being built up. I really haven't given it much though to come up with a detailed plan. In China, I'm using the 120 PP per day to buy out those larger divisions that get 43 squads for use elsewhere, eventually.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 104
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/8/2017 5:35:15 PM   
Lowpe

Once i finish my current turn, I will reply in greater detail.

But you are doing well

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 105
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/9/2017 3:28:40 PM   
ny59giants

Mr George has been a pleasant surprise. It has done very well as a sweeper. It came in late '42. I now have three groups in India, three in Tokyo (training), two in Aleutians, and four in SoPac.
I get some air groups re-sizing to 45 plane groups in April which will help tremendously.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 106
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/9/2017 3:45:31 PM   
Lowpe

First take:

Urumchi is tough. Build up the bases including Urumchi between there and the closest rail head. It will move, but move slowly. You will never be happy, here.

Resources at Rangoon. You have given us way too little details about your cargo routes and base sizes. Where are you currently picking up resources from and their port sizes?

If stacking limits are active, then Chungking usually falls faster.

George is your best sweeper for a long time.

I like that you are picking and selecting where to fight.

With the thrashing that the Allies have taken you are sitting pretty. Focus on that economy, you want to make it deep into 1945. Don't fall victim to Victory Disease everything gets tougher as the Allies out tech and out TOE you.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 107
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/10/2017 1:15:24 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe
...Don't fall victim to Victory Disease everything gets tougher as the Allies out tech and out TOE you.

+1

Pax

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 108
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/10/2017 10:56:42 AM   
ny59giants

Victory Disease: I'm very aware of this issue. I expect late 43 and into 44 to be a true bloodbath (lots of electrons dying). I've come out ahead with minimal to no damage to warships in any clash to date involving part or all of KB. Just CVE Hosho and half dozen DDs have been sunk.

I have just about all FP groups that can be re-sized to 24 either flying NavS and/or ASW. 26 x 24 plane FP groups are either Rufe or Rex training future IJN fighter pilots. Professor Lowpe will be happy to know that some Lily DBs are being trained up.

This mod gets extra CD units and they are deployed in places I would likely invade if I was playing the Allies, which I have done mostly over the years. Too bad the 20cm CD guns CANNOT unload at any port X(0) regardless of how much Naval Support I place there.

Japan has more Engineers and Engineer Vehicles than stock or DBB, They are being used everywhere. I even got Tokyo to fort 7. How much to build up a base or not is a minor, but important adjustment when switching from Allies to Japan. What bases need their AF maxed out at size 7, 8, or 9?? Same question goes through my mind when it comes to forts. Size 3 forts is common for many bases, but which ones warrant the extra effort and supplies to go to 4, 5, or 6?

Airframes: I have models that will reach the end of their line in 43 like the A6M8 (2), Tojo IIc (2), and Lily IIc (1). So, these five R&D factories can be converted to what??

Overall Goal: Japan gets past historical surrender date.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 109
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/10/2017 12:46:44 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

Mr George has been a pleasant surprise. It has done very well as a sweeper. It came in late '42.

Is this due to BTSL mod or regular R/D configurations?

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 110
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/10/2017 1:32:46 PM   
Lowpe

Air Frames:

Most likely your best bet is either a late war fighter, Grace, or perhaps the Frances NF.

For giggles, the Patsy might be considered.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 111
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/12/2017 11:48:28 AM   
ny59giants

My opponent, Brian, has severe pain in right arm/shoulder area since Saturday night. He has gone to ER and seen his doc. He is told to rest it up. So I've only seen one turn since then. Nothing exciting to report as KB is in process of retiring to Tulagi to replenish.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 112
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/12/2017 4:34:22 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

My opponent, Brian, has severe pain in right arm/shoulder area since Saturday night. He has gone to ER and seen his doc. He is told to rest it up. So I've only seen one turn since then. Nothing exciting to report as KB is in process of retiring to Tulagi to replenish.

Sounds like an RSI issue. His mouse is at the wrong height and he is reaching out to use it. The shoulder is not designed to hold the arm out for hours at a time.
Ideally, the upper arm should be straight down and the forearm supported while it moves the mouse. If that cannot be done, the mouse should be just a little below shoulder height, the forearm and elbow supported on a raised chair arm and the forearm near the wrist resting on the desk.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 113
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/12/2017 4:45:07 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Sounds like an RSI issue. His mouse is at the wrong height and he is reaching out to use it. The shoulder is not designed to hold the arm out for hours at a time.
Ideally, the upper arm should be straight down and the forearm supported while it moves the mouse. If that cannot be done, the mouse should be just a little below shoulder height, the forearm and elbow supported on a raised chair arm and the forearm near the wrist resting on the desk.

Really nice info there BB! Thanks.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 114
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/15/2017 9:38:15 AM   
ny59giants

Brian reported a torn right rotator cuff and may need surgery. So pace of turns has slowed down, but not stopped.

Game wise, we are up to March 9th. On the 7th, Adak was captured again by the Empire with odds at 457:227. Casualties were 29424 for the Allies. First of three TFs left Tulagi for Japan for upgrades. I'm sending DDs, CLs, CAs, and a 1/3 of KB back.

Pax was nice enough to look at a current game file and offer feedback. While the economy is doing OK, this economics minister needs to improve.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 115
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/15/2017 1:58:45 PM   
PaxMondo

Hope I provided some value.

quote:

Game wise, we are up to March 9th. On the 7th, Adak was captured again by the Empire with odds at 457:227.

As an AFB, you are better able to state the value of Adak. All I know is that it is the closest good port of embarkation for an allied amphib assault on Hokkaido. As such, I really like to own it ...

Pax

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 116
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/15/2017 3:22:51 PM   
ny59giants

Adak - When playing Allies it is a very good base to have subs stationed from to blockade Japan. Add in an AR and one of the plentiful 3k ARDs and you are set. Most of my Gato Class subs end up here.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 117
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/31/2017 12:39:41 PM   
ny59giants

We have reached Apr '43 with little day to day action after Brian's failed attempt to invade Tanna in SoPac.

I continue to squeeze China into a smaller pocket and have reached the outskirts of Chungking, which has over 70 LCUs!!

Personally, I had left carpal tunnel and index finger surgery done yesterday and will be home for two weeks. That means we should get another 30 to 45 days done. A week ago, both of us had cases of food poisoning. Brian from bad fish and me from bad drive thru food that kept me out of work for three days.

< Message edited by ny59giants -- 10/31/2017 12:49:02 PM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 118
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/31/2017 12:47:50 PM   
ny59giants

Economy from March to April: With most supplies being consumed in China and repairing air frame factories, a significant surplus in overall supplies levels were achieved. Global levels are now at 3,427,046 which is an increase of about 420,000 in one month. Pax had looked at my economy for me and reported not enough in Tokyo, which is still the case. Oil and Fuel still hover slightly above 3M. Heavy Industry gained about 60k to end up at 680k.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 119
RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J)... - 10/31/2017 1:03:09 PM   
ny59giants

Aleutians: Just Dutch Harbor and a handful of dot bases left to capture. Two LCUs at Tokyo fully prepped.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: "It's the economy, stupid" BTSL NY59G (J) vs Gen Patton (A) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI