Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Type 1 medium tank and Sherman

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Type 1 medium tank and Sherman Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Type 1 medium tank and Sherman - 7/9/2017 8:27:54 PM   
Big B

Just a word of caution to anyone recalculating armor vs anti-armor values for AFV's.
A check of ongoing PBEM's reveals that AFV's with heavy plate and effective guns (such as Grant Tanks) do MUCH better in combat than others (such as armored cars and light tanks).

Therefore, without a layman's guide to game-code in front of me - it's logical to assume that the algorithms in code already take into account many factors - facing, probable range, non-combat breakdowns etc.
From what I already know of Naval Surface Warfare code - This does Not surprise me.

So instead of trying to re-create many variables as mentioned above, it looks like a relatively straight forward evaluation of vehicle vs gun may be the simplest and most realistic way to go to get good combat results.

Just saying.

B

(in reply to US87891)
Post #: 31
RE: Type 1 medium tank and Sherman - 7/10/2017 12:15:30 AM   
Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

Just a word of caution to anyone recalculating armor vs anti-armor values for AFV's.
A check of ongoing PBEM's reveals that AFV's with heavy plate and effective guns (such as Grant Tanks) do MUCH better in combat than others (such as armored cars and light tanks).

Therefore, without a layman's guide to game-code in front of me - it's logical to assume that the algorithms in code already take into account many factors - facing, probable range, non-combat breakdowns etc.
From what I already know of Naval Surface Warfare code - This does Not surprise me.

So instead of trying to re-create many variables as mentioned above, it looks like a relatively straight forward evaluation of vehicle vs gun may be the simplest and most realistic way to go to get good combat results.

Just saying.

B

Facing? Doubt it hard. It just compares raw numbers-Attack value vs. Defense. It doesn't do anything other than that.

They used to tell us that about the air-2-air combat, till I watched tons of A6m5s getting blazed by B25D1s. You telling me A6M5s always went head to head with B25D1s?

I don't think so.

Raw numbers.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 32
RE: Type 1 medium tank and Sherman - 7/10/2017 12:20:27 AM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

Just saying.

B

Facing? Doubt it hard. It just compares raw numbers-Attack value vs. Defense. It doesn't do anything other than that.

They used to tell us that about the air-2-air combat, till I watched tons of A6m5s getting blazed by B25D1s. You telling me A6M5s always went head to head with B25D1s?

I don't think so.

Raw numbers.

yeah... I'm warning ya

The algorithms are complex

< Message edited by Big B -- 7/10/2017 12:29:06 AM >

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 33
RE: Type 1 medium tank and Sherman - 7/12/2017 12:32:49 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: US87891

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rafid
Thanks for all the comments and data, Matt. You’re right when you say that week points play an important role in the life and death of a tank. Perhaps more so than shear frontal armor thickness.

Most of these "misc enemy weapon"s will have been gruesome to the wielder.

Any idea or explanation what the "misc non-enemy weapon" column is? Operational loses (hardly a "weapon"?!), friendly fire (seems too high)? For some of the early invasions in the pacific, these make up more than 60% of the losses.

I must admit my interest is sparked, but I'll be on vacation for a week. I’ll pick it up again when I’m back and try to go through the statistical data (from here and elsewhere). I would still argue that weighting has to be based on hit received, not fatal hits. There are for example no frontal “hollow charge” fatalities in the data provided, but that doesn’t mean that the front wasn’t hit, just that it couldn’t be penetrated by such weapons. Over optimizing the weighting perhaps is perhaps not sensible (but can be fun), since impact on final results will be small.

Have a nice time.
Data came from British, Canadian, French, US Army and USMC reports. Terms and conditions varied among the nationalities and the aggregate was compiled under yet different terms and conditions. It may have been more fair to call some of the ‘side’ things, simply “hull”.

Just looking at reports done in a uniform way, using uniform terminology, you get something like:
37% front, 60% side, 3% rear, 0% top, for gunfire
31% front, 51% side, 10% rear, 8% top, for hollow charge
Don’t believe it will change much if the entire data set was evaluated in this way. One can determine turret, upper, and lower sides from the data as well as turret vs hull front. I’m afraid upper and lower glacis is not differentiable. Japanese did not possess hollow charge so ignoring it does not distort the data. Sticky bombs, Molotov cocktails, rifle grenades, and the like, are weapons whose effects are included in the close assault phase of the algorithm. They do not apply during the various fire phases. Fun to know about all those things, but essentially irrelevant to the system mechanics.

Miscellaneous losses - At Tarawa, 42 tanks were unloaded (14 M4A2, 28 M3A1). Of these, 33 were lost (combat ineffective) and of these, 23 were from misc non-enemy causes; four when their LCMs were sunk, one lost (disabled) to US Navy dive bombers, eighteen lost to electrical failure from immersion or bogging after falling into shell craters (often also water filled). Saipan exhibited similar operational causes of loss; terrain and situational mechanical/electrical failure. Yes, friendly fire is included in that loss column, but incidence was low compared to just plain old something broke or driving over a cliff.

Matt

Interesting...

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to US87891)
Post #: 34
RE: Type 1 medium tank and Sherman - 7/12/2017 12:38:28 PM   
Alpha77

btw, I have read that the 75mm IJ field gun was among the best anti guns, cause it had a good heat shell...guess the value given for field guns do only take into account the "HE" value vs. armor. Which would mean more indirect fire, tanks can be disabled by indirect HE ofc, but the higher the caliber the better (logo). Light tanks can be overturned by blast effects from eg. 150-203mm howitzers. The HEAT shell however would be used in direct fire mode, the drawback of heat is that the shell travels very slow compared to AP(C) so target that is manouvering can easier take cover if shot with heat shells.

Edit, ofc the travel time of a heat shell is much longer too, so heat is much better at lower distance. In SPWAW you have eg. the Sherman 105 or Stug42/105 both have some heat provided, which can take out a Tiger with side/rear shot easily, but IIRC when longer than 10 hexes range the accurary would drop quite a lot..you would get perhaps a 10-15% hit chance provided the crew exp is good. While eg. a 75/L48 AP would get 30-40% for the same target (as example)

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 7/12/2017 12:48:28 PM >

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 35
RE: Type 1 medium tank and Sherman - 7/12/2017 8:00:32 PM   
Panther Bait

Yes, the muzzle velocity of the Sherman 105 HEAT shell was about 380 m/s, whereas the APCBC round on the Sherman 76mm variant had a muzzle velocity around 790 m/s. The 76mm HVAP/APCR rounds had a muzzle velocity over 1000 m/s.

Mike

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Type 1 medium tank and Sherman Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI