Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, U2 are welcome

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, U2 are welcome Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/12/2017 3:48:34 AM   
Dinglir

Sammy, the reports you read are were written some three or four weeks ago when I first did the "Early Air War" thread. -Unfortunately Real Life prevents me from playing any faster than that.

As Morvael has been looking into the code repeatedly finding nothing, I guess I have no other option than to admit I was wrong (the rise is probably due to better detection levels).

I am still looking out for that increase in a situation where the detection level is ten before bombing. Unless I find that, you should just ignore my bombing comments in the AAR.

To be is to do -- Socrates
To do is to be -- Jean-Paul Sartre
Do be do be do -- Frank Sinatra

(in reply to Sammy5IsAlive)
Post #: 241
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/23/2017 10:23:04 AM   
Dinglir

Turn twentysix.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sammy5IsAlive)
Post #: 242
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/23/2017 11:22:16 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dinglir

Due to the amount of attacks having been done this turn, the Red Army has actually dwindled in size over the last turn. However, so has the Wehrmacht, losing more than 60.000 men to withdrawals and battle casualties.

Yes the Soviet OOB is stagnant as I'm using all replacements to fill divisions bleed on German guns. To be honest the German OOB has "increased" during the blizzard EVEN with the amount of casualties I am inflicting on you. Granted you used to good effect the regiments on one section of the battlefront but no longer since my tank brigades are eating them up now. If it wasn't for my long supply line they would have a field day with those regiments. Anyway back to my point that the German army is retreating, not in entrenchment better than 1, most of the time in 0 level entrenchment and the OOB is getting higher. Here is the OOB up to our current turn with the casualties to Germans and you will see it is growing ;-)

turn 25. 3,557,946. loses =21,382.
turn 26. 3,474,498. loses = 58,030.
turn 27. 3,410,882. loses = 71,218
turn 28. 3,350,716. loses = 74,771
turn 29. 3,441,016. loses = 56,106
turn 30. 3,513,558. loses = 42,091
turn 31. 3,525,288 loses = 43,149

****NOTE the loses are what was reported on the ground units loses tab when I took pictures

As of last turn it really isn't worth attacking any longer since the effects are negligible. To be honest my troops behind the line are suffering German like Blizzard effects as if they were German, weird I have made some notes this turn to see the stats the beginning of next turn.

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 12/23/2017 11:27:38 PM >

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 243
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/24/2017 9:12:47 AM   
Dinglir

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain
Yes the Soviet OOB is stagnant as I'm using all replacements to fill divisions bleed on German guns.

This, I believe, is the right way to do things. The Soviets do not win by having a huge Red Army, but rather by whittling away the German Wehrmacht. This is also where I would want those pesky little U-2VS bombing away at the retreating Germans. If I would have to point to the biggest thing I would have done different from you, that is still it. Of course, I have no idea how that works under recent patches. To give an indication of the scoope, I compared your current airforce to the one I fielded at turn 31 against Pelton. By that time, I was flying more than 2.000 more airframes than you are doing currently.

quote:

To be honest the German OOB has "increased" during the blizzard EVEN with the amount of casualties I am inflicting on you.

I will not go into a full discussion of the situation in turn 31, so as to not get ahead of the AAR. I will mention that you have to consider the fact that the Germans have received some four or five fresh infantry divisions from the west by turn 31. So the numbers below are somewhat deceptive - I have lost 90.000 men in my original OoB between turns 25 and 31.

quote:

Granted you used to good effect the regiments on one section of the battlefront but no longer since my tank brigades are eating them up now. If it wasn't for my long supply line they would have a field day with those regiments.

I believe those long supply lines are a direct consequence of my attacks in 1941, specifically targetting your railheads in the area. For better or for worse, that "infantry regiment" strategy was a deliberate choice of mine.

quote:

As of last turn it really isn't worth attacking any longer since the effects are negligible. To be honest my troops behind the line are suffering German like Blizzard effects as if they were German, weird I have made some notes this turn to see the stats the beginning of next turn.

In my experience the Soviet offensive will grind to a halt by late January or early February. I experienced the same thing when playing the Soviets against Pelton. By February, it was the Axis who were on the offensive and not the Soviets.

As much as I think game mechanics should not make "guards farming" so easy, I also think that mild blizzard is to much of a benefit for the Axis. I would prefer some option where guards spawning requires a number of wins based on the number of Guards you already have, combined with a "semireduced" blizzard with settings somewhere between our current options.

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 244
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/24/2017 12:49:40 PM   
Grognard1812

quote:

In my experience the Soviet offensive will grind to a halt by late January or early February. I experienced the same thing when playing the Soviets against Pelton. By February, it was the Axis who were on the offensive and not the Soviets.

In your experience does this occur in both normal and reduced blizzard?

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 245
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/24/2017 2:39:11 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognard1812

quote:

Yes, the Germans steadily get stronger, although with normal blizzard you should be able to continue for a bit longer than a mild blizzard as the Soviets.

(in reply to Grognard1812)
Post #: 246
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/24/2017 2:44:14 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

Yes the Soviet OOB is stagnant as I'm using all replacements to fill divisions bleed on German guns.

This, I believe, is the right way to do things. The Soviets do not win by having a huge Red Army, but rather by whittling away the German Wehrmacht. This is also where I would want those pesky little U-2VS bombing away at the retreating Germans. If I would have to point to the biggest thing I would have done different from you, that is still it. Of course, I have no idea how that works under recent patches. To give an indication of the scoope, I compared your current airforce to the one I fielded at turn 31 against Pelton. By that time, I was flying more than 2.000 more airframes than you are doing currently.

Yes, I'm suffering from moving all of my IL2 production. So I have "NO" tactical aircraft at all as replacements for some time in the future. It is the nature of the beast in this game.

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 247
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/24/2017 2:48:16 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

Granted you used to good effect the regiments on one section of the battlefront but no longer since my tank brigades are eating them up now. If it wasn't for my long supply line they would have a field day with those regiments.

I believe those long supply lines are a direct consequence of my attacks in 1941, specifically targetting your railheads in the area. For better or for worse, that "infantry regiment" strategy was a deliberate choice of mine.

Ya, I have been preaching the "infantry regiment" scenario for awhile now. Those little f'krs are painful ;-P. I thought for sure I would have at least routed one of them, but oh well.

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 248
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/24/2017 2:51:22 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

As much as I think game mechanics should not make "guards farming" so easy, I also think that mild blizzard is to much of a benefit for the Axis. I would prefer some option where guards spawning requires a number of wins based on the number of Guards you already have, combined with a "semireduced" blizzard with settings somewhere between our current options.

With or without the +1 I would have still attacked like mad to make guards. Even if I did not get guards I'm still benefiting the overall units experience with wins.

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 249
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/24/2017 3:17:19 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

Yes, I'm suffering from moving all of my IL2 production. So I have "NO" tactical aircraft at all as replacements for some time in the future. It is the nature of the beast in this game.

Exactly the point about bombing the Il-2 factories to constrain their expansion, or else by evacuating early. There will be gazillions of Il-2s in your pool by the end of the game, which is when you can least use them.

Post #: 250
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/24/2017 3:56:50 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

quote:

Exactly the point about bombing the Il-2 factories to constrain their expansion, or else by evacuating early. There will be gazillions of Il-2s in your pool by the end of the game, which is when you can least use them.

Yup yup. Learned some lessons playing the Soviets that I won't repeat again. I have a bad tendency to become complacent. But yeah I need those IL2 Airframes late 42' & 43' and should roughly be about 60 turns before they are fully repaired. GAH I sux at playing Soviets. But I have a ton of squadrons made to use them training up(yes all the U-2's & R5's ;-P ).

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 251
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/24/2017 4:02:41 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yup yup. Learned some lessons playing the Soviets that I won't repeat again. I have a bad tendency to become complacent. But yeah I need those IL2 Airframes late 42' & 43' and should roughly be about 60 turns before they are fully repaired. GAH I sux at playing Soviets. But I have a ton of squadrons made to use them training up(yes all the U-2's & R5's ;-P ).

Just Dinglir's time is very limited now with roughly 1 turn every 1.5-2 weeks when he isn't busy. I have finally rested after all my marathon games and feel much better now. I even get the turn back to Dinglir in about 3-5 hours.

Post #: 252
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/25/2017 7:47:36 PM   
Dinglir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognard1812

quote:

To be honest, I'm not an experienced player at all.

I have played only two games versus really good players - one against Pelton and the other is the ongoing one against HardLuck. As both those games are +1 and mild bizzard, I'm not really qualified for speaking of normal blizzard games.

(in reply to Grognard1812)
Post #: 253
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/25/2017 7:50:51 PM   
Dinglir

quote:

Just Dinglir's time is very limited now with roughly 1 turn every 1.5-2 weeks when he isn't busy. I have finally rested after all my marathon games and feel much better now. I even get the turn back to Dinglir in about 3-5 hours.

Being a team manager for a team of software engineers combined with being a single dad half the time, does take some energy.

I guess I could play more if I was satisfied with just moving some cardboard pieces around the map and then see how it went. I'm not, and I do think that if I am to have any chance in the ongoing game, I need to play when I am clearheaded.

Post #: 254
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/25/2017 7:58:54 PM   
Dinglir

Turn twentyseven.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 255
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/26/2017 6:50:07 AM   
tyronec

Interesting write up.
What patch version are you on here and are you updating ?

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 256
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/26/2017 8:49:29 AM   
Dinglir

We are running the latest patch and updating as we go.

Does the TOE of units update with the patches - I remember thinking about that a lot seeing this turn. The amount of Support elements in a Soviet Army HQ might have a significant impact on making this many hasty attacks turn after turn.

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 257
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/26/2017 9:28:28 AM   
tyronec

quote:

We are running the latest patch and updating as we go.

Does the TOE of units update with the patches - I remember thinking about that a lot seeing this turn. The amount of Support elements in a Soviet Army HQ might have a significant impact on making this many hasty attacks turn after turn.

So as 1.11.01 Beta was early November you would have been on that for most of the Blizzard.
Don't know about TOEs upgrades for live units, my game was started under the Beta.

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 258
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/26/2017 4:31:26 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

I did over 400 attacks, OMG.

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 259
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/26/2017 4:38:41 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

Did you get to 999 in the battles report? Remember ground bombings and recon count as separate battles there!

Post #: 260
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/26/2017 4:47:56 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

Did you get to 999 in the battles report? Remember ground bombings and recon count as separate battles there!

Sorry, I couldn't believe I did over 400 "ground attacks" in a single turn until I read it in Dinglir's post

< Message edited by HardLuckYetAgain -- 12/26/2017 4:48:12 PM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 261
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/26/2017 7:46:50 PM   
Nix77

quote:

Sorry, I couldn't believe I did over 400 "ground attacks" in a single turn until I read it in Dinglir's post

What's up with all the hasty attacks? Soaking attacks are a well known method to soften up the defender, but 31 hasty attacks against a single division? Sounds almost like your trying to game the system somehow.

Post #: 262
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/26/2017 8:39:18 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nix77

quote:

What's up with all the hasty attacks? Soaking attacks are a well known method to soften up the defender, but 31 hasty attacks against a single division? Sounds almost like your trying to game the system somehow.

I'm not smart enough to game the system. I only passed 1st grade, that is my story and I'm sticking with it. But I think that might have been an attack on a level 3 fortification. I wanted to see what would happen if I would continue. So continue I did & pretty much soak off attacks on any fort above level 2 should not be done at all from my observation. Therefore I wont be doing soak offs on level 3 forts any longer.

As for being well known method I can bet most people 1. never use them 2. don't know eactly what each does. In my games as Germany I had only two people use soak off attacks in any amount above the normal 1 or 2 attacks on a hex per turn. So that to me shows how well known it is imho.

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 263
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 12/28/2017 9:42:21 AM   
Dinglir

Turn twentyeight.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 264
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/1/2018 8:00:49 PM   
Dinglir

Turn twentynine

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 265
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/2/2018 12:25:57 PM   
Dinglir

Turn thirty.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 266
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/2/2018 2:00:45 PM   
Telemecus

I worry about the term "recon spamming" when it is meant as derogatory. Otherwise I would like to own it! There were significant parts of the war where large number of flights were flown historically specifically to wear down small numbers of pilots by keeping them awake 24 hours a day. Using numerous recon missions was specifically part of this in Malta and the north coast of France in 1942. So it is a historically valid tactic. You said you were worried that you had lost 8 recon aircraft doing this - in the EightMP game we found as many Soviet interceptors were being lost as our recon - which if only on aircraft terms seems to be a good exchange rate. Clearly though there is a danger you are just building up Soviet experience or morale if this is not combined with fighter sweeps or airbase bombing which leaves the Soviets in the local area overwhelmed. Did you abandon the tactic or follow it up? You can dual use the recon flights for other valuable information, and/or ensure the enemy interception occurs at the limits of their range while in the shortest range for you.

quote:

a few transport Air Groups unwilling to fly because they have more than half of their number in reserve

If only for this would it not be worth temporarily reducing your percentage required to fly to allow these missions to happen.

There was a much older post, which I cannot find anymore and would be very grateful if somebody could find and tell us, where they thoroughly tested ToE settings and the blizzard. By putting all other units which need arms points for replacements like artillery to 20% from as early as possible (turn 1?) all arms points were conserved to go into only infantry replacements. Doing this meant they ended the winter with a dozen unready infantry divisions rather than 40+. Surviving the blizzard - and having divisions ready for action - really is just about making as many infantry replacements as possible. By contrast in the good weather of 1941 many Axis artillery SUs barely fire a shot.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 1/2/2018 3:06:35 PM >

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 267
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/2/2018 4:43:25 PM   
Dinglir

quote:

I worry about the term "recon spamming" when it is meant as derogatory. Otherwise I would like to own it! There were significant parts of the war where large number of flights were flown historically specifically to wear down small numbers of pilots by keeping them awake 24 hours a day. Using numerous recon missions was specifically part of this in Malta and the north coast of France in 1942. So it is a historically valid tactic. You said you were worried that you had lost 8 recon aircraft doing this - in the EightMP game we found as many Soviet interceptors were being lost as our recon - which if only on aircraft terms seems to be a good exchange rate. Clearly though there is a danger you are just building up Soviet experience or morale if this is not combined with fighter sweeps or airbase bombing which leaves the Soviets in the local area overwhelmed. Did you abandon the tactic or follow it up? You can dual use the recon flights for other valuable information, and/or ensure the enemy interception occurs at the limits of their range while in the shortest range for you.

I tested this during blizzard using Hs 126 recon aircraft. I found that the value of themethod by then was not particularly great, as the mileage flown soon prohibited me from making a lot of flights.

I do not do any airfield bombings any more, as I have found that once the airgroups targeted have low fatigue, the bombing is not really worth it. Anyways, in my current game, the Soviets are now up to some 4000+ non I-type figthters, so killing off a few seems to have no real value at all.

However, I think that the recon spam strategy may work a lot better if used in clear weather and with aircraft types better suited for dogfights than the Hs 126.

quote:

quote:

a few transport Air Groups unwilling to fly because they have more than half of their number in reserve

If only for this would it not be worth temporarily reducing your percentage required to fly to allow these missions to happen.

My main consideration was why so many Ju52's ended up as reserves. The answer seems to be that I simply had too many aircraft points on my airfields. The Ju52's take up a lot of air support elements.

quote:

There was a much older post, which I cannot find anymore and would be very grateful if somebody could find and tell us, where they thoroughly tested ToE settings and the blizzard. By putting all other units which need arms points for replacements like artillery to 20% from as early as possible (turn 1?) all arms points were conserved to go into only infantry replacements. Doing this meant they ended the winter with a dozen unready infantry divisions rather than 40+. Surviving the blizzard - and having divisions ready for action - really is just about making as many infantry replacements as possible. By contrast in the good weather of 1941 many Axis artillery SUs barely fire a shot.

At the beginnig of the current game I set the artillery support units to 80% TOE, and the result has been as described in the AAR. I would not advocate setting artillery units to 20% TOE, but rather to find a setting in between that would allow you to use your units while not overstretching your supply and production system. as a spoiler alert, I can mention that there will be more on this topic in the coming AAR's.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 268
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/2/2018 5:00:47 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

I tested this during blizzard using Hs 126 recon aircraft. I found that the value of themethod by then was not particularly great, as the mileage flown soon prohibited me from making a lot of flights.

I do not do any airfield bombings any more, as I have found that once the airgroups targeted have low fatigue, the bombing is not really worth it. Anyways, in my current game, the Soviets are now up to some 4000+ non I-type figthters, so killing off a few seems to have no real value at all.

However, I think that the recon spam strategy may work a lot better if used in clear weather and with aircraft types better suited for dogfights than the Hs 126.

If not doing airbase bombing or other things to wear down the fighter force you may be right this in isolation is not so useful.

Rather than targeting all non-I types you may be able to concentrate on only the longest range model - for instance the MiG3 at the beginning or some of the American/British interceptors now. Wearing only them down in places where the others cannot reach might still be viable? This would mean segmenting the Soviet air-force and defeating parts of it in detail.

I would recommend using the Fi156c most of all - it uses the least fuel and is probably your least useful recon aircraft otherwise due to its very short range. Ideally in recon airgroups that are withdrawing.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 1/2/2018 6:59:38 PM >

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 269
RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, ... - 1/4/2018 6:53:03 PM   
Dinglir

Turn thirtyone.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Zum Angriff: Dinglir (Axis) v HardLuck - HardLuck, U2 are welcome Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI