Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Notes from a Small Island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  128 129 [130] 131 132   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/25/2019 7:41:20 PM   
RangerJoe

The differences in gauges is because I remember that when the Germans invaded the USSR in World War II, the Soviets used a different gauge than the Germans. I remember reading that the rail line to Alice Springs was a single track, narrow gauge rail line. Cars changing lines would have to have their wheels adjusted. Either that, or the cargo and passengers would have to unload from one train and load onto another with the correct railroad gauge. The game does not model that other than to have the rail lines broken up.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3871
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/25/2019 9:39:02 PM   
ChuckBerger

Australia too. To this day, we have three different main gauges in use. During WW2, there were 16 main "break of gauge" points in Australia, necessitating lots of effort on transfers. The break of gauge transfer on the main Melbourne-Sydney line wasn't removed until 1962 with the opening of a standard gauge line in Victoria. (But 2/3 of Victoria is still broad gauge rail.)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3872
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/25/2019 10:43:41 PM   
Canoerebel

5/15/45

TNNBT: A modest bombardment TF registers hits on the Nanking airfield. This came as a surprise to me, because I had intended to target Shanghai. How could I misclick to that extent?

P.S. The Allies control the river. No enemy ships seem to be present. I can park 25 CAs at the bridge between Nanking and the hex to the north. But my ships cannot close that rail link. :)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/25/2019 10:44:16 PM >

(in reply to ChuckBerger)
Post #: 3873
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/25/2019 10:47:32 PM   
Canoerebel

5/15/45

TNNBT: USN sub puts a TT into an IJN sub. Erik doesn't have many of these left, I believe. Down near Georgetown, an S-boat missed a shot at another enemy sub.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3874
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/25/2019 11:01:29 PM   
Canoerebel

5/15/45

TNNBT: Chinese collaborators from Nanking attack across the river and get mauled. I think this is intended to open the Nanking hexside. Then, when IJ units from the big stack to the N advance into this contested hex (Pengpu), Erik will have open hexsides to march to Nanking (but not for rail transit). The Allies intend to fight for the hex, though it's a question whether I can get enough there fast enough.

A major air battle was fought over this hex today, as a ton of Ki-83s swept in conjunction with a few other "brands." The enemy fighters won easily. LRCAP over this hex is gonna be an issue for both sides.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3875
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/26/2019 12:10:04 AM   
RangerJoe

In one way, you might want to consider letting the IJA go to the other side. Then, rush through the open country to cut off supplies from Manchuria as well as invading Manchuria. That would also cut off resources from the south going to Fusan (Pusan.)

If you have enough AAA and want to contest that hex, I would not even consider CAP on that hex. Let his bombers get chewed up by AAA but put LRCAP over his home bases to increase ops losses. When a plane is damaged or is an ops lost, the pilot loses an experience point . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3876
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/26/2019 12:42:52 AM   
palioboy2

CR do you mind taking the screen shots of China with the hexside control on. It makes it easier for the peanut gallery to understand what is going on in the more flexible terrain.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3877
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/26/2019 5:04:53 PM   
Canoerebel

Will do, palioboy.

(in reply to palioboy2)
Post #: 3878
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/26/2019 5:06:08 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

In one way, you might want to consider letting the IJA go to the other side. Then, rush through the open country to cut off supplies from Manchuria as well as invading Manchuria. That would also cut off resources from the south going to Fusan (Pusan.)

If you have enough AAA and want to contest that hex, I would not even consider CAP on that hex. Let his bombers get chewed up by AAA but put LRCAP over his home bases to increase ops losses. When a plane is damaged or is an ops lost, the pilot loses an experience point . . .

I don't mind if Erik gets a large force across the river (assuming that's his intent). I'll oppose him anywhere the odds look good, including the river-crossing hex, but if he does manage to make Shanghai/Nanking redoubts, I'll turn my army north.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3879
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/26/2019 5:07:57 PM   
Canoerebel

5/15/45

TNNBT: Another quiet day in the East China Sea. The Allies have unloaded and are moving forward. Base building is going well. The enemy, in turn, is on the move. Erik's air force will be a real challenge, but so be it. The time has come to mix it up until something is resolved.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3880
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/26/2019 5:58:38 PM   
jwolf

Good point about the Manchuria garrison; as you say, the "risk" of early activation isn't really a large problem now. But I presume he still needs to keep a pretty strong army in Manchuria so that the Soviets don't just blitz through the whole thing instantly once they get activated. BTW do you have the Red Army ready to go?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3881
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/26/2019 6:31:28 PM   
Canoerebel

Red Army is ready to go. Fully prepped, pilots trained, aircraft upgraded.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 3882
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/26/2019 6:35:01 PM   
Canoerebel

Many ground units upgraded too, to latest devices. And a fair number of fighter squadrons are set to CAP (rather than training) just in case Erik decides to get in a hard first lick.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3883
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/26/2019 10:15:12 PM   
RangerJoe

If he makes Shanghai and/or Nanking redoubts, your naval forces could have a lot of fun bombarding . . .

I would set your Soviets units to part CAP with part training just so they will still continue to train a little more.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3884
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/26/2019 10:29:53 PM   
Canoerebel

5/16/45

TNNBT: The first test bombardment at Shanghai goes surprisingly well, considering the modest size of the ships involved. Earlier in the turn, and in preceding turns, minesweepers have worked to clear channels. Soon I'll send in one of my big TFs. I hope to do that erratically but occasionally so that Erik is loathe to load up the airfield.

Another small bombardment at Nanking yielded modest results, but the big boys can definitely target it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3885
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/26/2019 10:49:31 PM   
RangerJoe

With the rail lines cut, those damaged planes can only go so far and if you can naval bombard those bases, they will make nice targets. Especially if he flies in air units and you catch them on the ground.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3886
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/27/2019 1:47:37 AM   
Mike Solli

quote:

If he makes Shanghai and/or Nanking redoubts, your naval forces could have a lot of fun bombarding . . .

I would set your Soviets units to part CAP with part training just so they will still continue to train a little more.

If you want to work on experience primarily, 100% CAP at 0 range works nicely.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3887
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/27/2019 2:06:31 AM   
Canoerebel

But CAP doesn't have an effect on defensive skills. For that you have to train in certain areas or gain experience through combat. My Soviets have been training for years, so they are high in skills and defense. So those units are now set to CAP. Newer units with lesser experience and skills are still in training mode.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 3888
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/27/2019 9:07:36 AM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

But CAP doesn't have an effect on defensive skills. For that you have to train in certain areas or gain experience through combat. My Soviets have been training for years, so they are high in skills and defense. So those units are now set to CAP. Newer units with lesser experience and skills are still in training mode.

Gotcha. Yeah, training defensive skills is the tough one to accomplish. It definitely takes the longest.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3889
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/27/2019 9:10:16 AM   
HansBolter

He really can't afford to pull anything out of Manchukuo.

While the 8k AV may be adequate to stave off activation, it is woefully inadequate to stand up to the Soviet juggernaut.

I'm at August 29th and the Soviets are steamrolling with units like this:

Attachment (1)

Hans

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3890
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/27/2019 9:11:57 AM   
HansBolter

And just look at this baby. The Soviets definitely subscribe to the principal of massed artillery.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 2/27/2019 9:15:07 AM >

Hans

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 3891
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/27/2019 10:26:45 AM   
traskott

Oh mamita qué cosa tan bonita .

Lovely.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 3892
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/27/2019 12:02:13 PM   
RangerJoe

All of those guns and no motorized support. I wonder if they have Bears helping them move artillery shells like Sgt Wojtek of the Polish Army:

quote:

The animal was very small and the problem of feeding him was soon overcome by the improvised techniques employed by his new family including feeding him from on a bottle filled with condensed milk. Eventually, they all arrived in Palestine and the bear was taken to the 22nd Transport Company, Artillery Division, Polish 2nd Corp where the men would become his companions for the next few years. He was given the name Wojtek, pronounced Voytek.

From the beginning he became a popular member of the Company spending most of his time with the soldiers of the 4th Platoon. Two of his closest friends were two young soldiers, Dymitr Szawlugo and Henryk Zacharewicz who would both be featured in many of the photos and film footage taken of Wojtek. He would often be found in the kitchen area and he ate everything he was fed and even developed a taste for beer and wine together with cigarettes which he would only accept when lit. He had a habit of drinking from a beer or wine bottle and when empty, he would peer into the bottle waiting patiently for more. He would usually take one puff of a lit cigarette and then swallow it.

http://thesoldierbear.com/Wojtek/index.html

― Julia Child

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 3893
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/27/2019 12:16:16 PM   
MakeeLearn

Masha, a Russian cadet of the Northern Fleet

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3894
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/27/2019 1:20:05 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

All of those guns and no motorized support. I wonder if they have Bears helping them move artillery shells like Sgt Wojtek of the Polish Army:

quote:

The animal was very small and the problem of feeding him was soon overcome by the improvised techniques employed by his new family including feeding him from on a bottle filled with condensed milk. Eventually, they all arrived in Palestine and the bear was taken to the 22nd Transport Company, Artillery Division, Polish 2nd Corp where the men would become his companions for the next few years. He was given the name Wojtek, pronounced Voytek.

From the beginning he became a popular member of the Company spending most of his time with the soldiers of the 4th Platoon. Two of his closest friends were two young soldiers, Dymitr Szawlugo and Henryk Zacharewicz who would both be featured in many of the photos and film footage taken of Wojtek. He would often be found in the kitchen area and he ate everything he was fed and even developed a taste for beer and wine together with cigarettes which he would only accept when lit. He had a habit of drinking from a beer or wine bottle and when empty, he would peer into the bottle waiting patiently for more. He would usually take one puff of a lit cigarette and then swallow it.

http://thesoldierbear.com/Wojtek/index.html

When you're lining the guns up wheel to wheel there is no room for trucks

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 2/27/2019 1:21:19 PM >

Hans

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3895
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/28/2019 1:46:40 PM   
Canoerebel

5/18/45

Air Wars: The Allies won a nice victory in the air today. It was noteworthy, because it was his first team against my first team. Ki-83s, Frank-Rs, Georges against Corsairs, Thunderbolts and Mustangs.

This is the third consecutive day that Erik's fighters have swept targets: (1) Day 1 versus Allied LRCAP over the contested hex in China: the combat animations went Erik's way, but his ops losses were high, resulting in roughly even losses; that's a decent result for the Allies; (2) Day Two: sweeps against mainly Tungchow and the new base near the contested hex - this time, the Allies scored a slight victory; (3) Day 3: major sweeps against the main CAP over Tungchow and modest CAP over Toyohara - a nice Allied victory, somewhat surprising considering the number of Ki-83s involved.

Fighting on the defensive over a friendly base is always helpful. The combat animation will often show an enemy victory, but his ops losses will offset that, usually evening things out. Considering the quality of his air force, that's usually an acceptable outcome.

The Allied fighters at Toyohara had interesting settings - roughly CAP at 20% or LRCAP at 20%. During the latter days of the campaigns in the Kuriles, I thought I detected results suggesting that this kind of setting somehow seemed to produce better results than the standard 70% or 80% CAP settings. Today's results were consistent with that hypothesis. I'll continue to test when possible (but not where CAP is covering DS or major shipping).

I think Erik has always used the rail feature of the game to expedite aircraft recovery from battle fatigue. So if the Ki-83 has a high service rating, he'll use a squadron at, say, Nagasaki; when it suffers damaged aircraft, he rails to a nearby base and the aircraft repair much faster than ordinary. To me, this is a wonky feature of the game that wasn't intended (the designers intended service ratings to mean something). But it, like many other things, is simply part of the game. We all can take advantage of this feature, though it especially benefits the Japanese with their good HI rail network and high service ratings.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 3896
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/28/2019 2:01:16 PM   
Canoerebel

5/18/45

Air Losses in Detail: 114 Frank-Rs lost to Ops. I wonder what happened?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3897
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/28/2019 2:05:21 PM   
RangerJoe

No matter what the CAP percentage is, it is my understanding that if more planes are needed and available then they are sent into the air. You might see something like so many aircraft joining the fight.

If you LRCAP his airbases, that can increase the ops losses. This might be a good use for older but longer ranged aircraft.

As far as his losses go, his pilots may getting more tired which could also explain the ops losses. Remember, when the planes are damaged or there is an ops loss, the pilot will lose an experience point. So even if the pilot is saved, the experience will suffer.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3898
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/28/2019 2:18:03 PM   
Canoerebel

5/18/45

TNNBT: Things look good on the ground, thus far. The main elements of the Allied army are now one hex and two hexes from the key contested hex. I intend to take that hex and then advance to the north, seeking to engage the main enemy force that's currently at the dot-hex just NW of the contested hex. So, at this moment, I envision the Allied army moving into the open terrain rather than moving to isolate and take Shanghai and Nanking. That may change. I'm hoping, though that the Allied army in Thailand can take responsibility for China south of the Yangtze. For the next month or two, the first objective is to seek and destroy enemy ground forces. Then, as the Allied armies draw into proximity, the high-value objectives will become priorities.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3899
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/28/2019 2:20:20 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

No matter what the CAP percentage is, it is my understanding that if more planes are needed and available then they are sent into the air. You might see something like so many aircraft joining the fight.

If you LRCAP his airbases, that can increase the ops losses. This might be a good use for older but longer ranged aircraft.

As far as his losses go, his pilots may getting more tired which could also explain the ops losses. Remember, when the planes are damaged or there is an ops loss, the pilot will lose an experience point. So even if the pilot is saved, the experience will suffer.

Helpful pointers, Joe, as were your posts yesterday. Thanks!

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3900
Page:   <<   < prev  128 129 [130] 131 132   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  128 129 [130] 131 132   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI