Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? - 11/17/2017 1:33:17 AM   
Monty Patton

I was just about to push the button to purchase this game when I decided to check out the forum for comments on it.
That's when I noticed several purchasers mentioning that many of these scenarios do not have single player capability.
BUT, there is no listing of which scenarios have AI or are human players only.

Has anyone posted a listing of which scenarios have AI? If enough of them do, I might go ahead and purchase this game.
Post #: 1
RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? - 11/17/2017 1:57:38 AM   
Auchinleck

Most of them are 2 Player as it deceptively turns out. The best ones, like the Campaign Scenarios that cover the entire WWII, or Pacific War, have no AI. Would have never purchased if I had known.

(in reply to Monty Patton)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? - 11/17/2017 2:13:41 AM   
BigDuke66

Not sure where all that nonsense comes from but alone the first scenario folder, which has 9 scenarios, has 7 scenarios with the PO able of taking both sides vs a human opponent.

< Message edited by BigDuke66 -- 11/17/2017 2:14:59 AM >

(in reply to Auchinleck)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? - 11/17/2017 2:23:15 AM   
LOK_32MK

There are many TOAW III scenarios that work in TOAW IV and can be played against the PO (AI) and PBEM.
Here is an older scenario archive: http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/news.php

Already there are several scenarios posted in the Mods and Scenarios sub forum. I am sure there will be more.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 4
RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? - 11/17/2017 2:27:32 AM   
spinecruncher

Great I dont suffer buyers remorse anymore.

(in reply to LOK_32MK)
Post #: 5
RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? - 11/17/2017 2:28:02 AM   
Deano463

Almost all the scenarios have AI

Post #: 6
RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? - 11/17/2017 2:38:44 AM   
Lobster

Just look through the scenarios. Most of them will say whether or not they have a PO (Programmed Opponent). That would make it a single player scenario. The majority of the scenarios are made to be played single player for one side or the other and sometimes both sides.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to Deano463)
Post #: 7
RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? - 11/17/2017 4:07:01 AM   
sPzAbt653

I'll post this here, it is Steve Hunwick's TOAW III Scenario Catalogue. Note that not all of these scenarios are included in the release version of TOAW IV, but Steve tells us where to get them.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 8
RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? - 11/17/2017 5:00:47 AM   
Tamas

Let me copy my reply from the rage thread with the similar concern:

ALL the scenarios can be played in single player without exception. The difference that can be made between the nearly 300 scenarios, is whether specific AI scripts to help and optimise AI planning have been added or not.

Some of the scenarios, and indeed, that usually means the massive ones, do not have such AI scripts and the designers felt that due to this the AI's performance in their scenarios does not live up to the standard set by the other 200+ ones. So they market these "PBEM only".

I'd like to point out that we have almost as many scenarios marked "PO (AI) only", including one of the most impressive and biggest ones, Directive 21, that lets you play the Axis forces through the entire East Front campaign from 1941 to 1945. The designers suggest you play this as the Axis, and your long term victory objective is not to lose Berlin by the end of it!
And also in the case of these scenarios, there is nothing stopping you from playing them PBEM. It is merely that the designers felt that the events scripted etc. give you the most historic result if you play as a specific side in single player.

And then there is the vast majority of the scenarios, where the AI has been properly helped by scripts for both sides AND the designers are not shy about recommending PBEM either.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 9
RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? - 11/17/2017 6:28:45 AM   
aperfecturkel

'Ey Monty! Just to give you a qualitative answer:

I just ran though, and of 283 scenarios (based on the number of .sce files in the Scenarios folder), there were only 38 that explicitly suggest "PBEM Only" or "PBEM Preferred" anywhere in the scenario description. But as Tamas said, there's at least some AI running on even those. Anecdotally, I think that general AI does fine on land scenarios but maybe struggles with naval/invasion-heavy situations, or certain scenarios designed with "house rules" in mind or otherwise goofy functionality.

< Message edited by aperfecturkel -- 11/17/2017 6:32:31 AM >

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 10
RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? - 11/17/2017 9:17:36 AM   
gerardo

So just to be clear, is there a comprehensive list of wich scenarios are AI capable and wich ones are not? I don't want to go through each one by myself to find it

(in reply to aperfecturkel)
Post #: 11
RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? - 11/17/2017 10:49:49 AM   
Tamas

quote:

ORIGINAL: gerardo

So just to be clear, is there a comprehensive list of wich scenarios are AI capable and wich ones are not? I don't want to go through each one by myself to find it

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4378959&mpage=1&key=�

(in reply to gerardo)
Post #: 12
RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? - 11/17/2017 12:13:17 PM   
gerardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tamas

quote:

ORIGINAL: gerardo

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4378959&mpage=1&key=�

Thank you

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 13
RE: Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? - 11/17/2017 1:12:50 PM   
RFalvo69

IMHO, the sheer number of scenarios, and the size/length of some of those with PO (just look at the aforementioned Directive 21) make this truly a First World Problem. We are not talking about a game with "almost 300 scenarios of 15-20 minutes length". Some of them could be sold as full games - and we are talking about 300 scenarios in a single package...

Of course you can always ask for a refund and buy World in Flames instead

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to gerardo)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Scenarios List: Which have AI or are human only? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI