Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/24/2019 6:29:18 PM   
comte

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

If it's the graphics override folder of the game, that one is not working.
For graphics to be used put it in the graphics override folder under the Users path of the C drive.

I used the graphics override folder in the Users path of drive C. My other scenarios I put there work fine
such as call to arms for example but Vietnam does not work.

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 61
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/24/2019 6:31:40 PM   
Zovs

For me I put them in their own folders:

C:\Users\<YOUR-USER-NAME>\Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV\Graphics Override

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 62
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/24/2019 6:33:16 PM   
comte

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

C:\Users\<YOUR-USER-NAME>\Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV\Graphics Override

That's what I did and it is not working

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 63
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/24/2019 6:35:06 PM   
Zovs

quote:

ORIGINAL: r6kunz

I created a Scenario folder, Vietnam Combat Operations, in C:/ Program Files(x86)---> Matrix Games ---> Operational Art of War IV---> Scenarios ---> Vietnam Combat Operations.

I then went to Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat website:

https://sites.google.com/site/vietnamcombatoperations/Home

Then download the scenario(s) you want (the small blue down arrow on the bottom right), and unzipped the scenario into your new VCO folder. Open and save (to convert to TOAW IV.

It has been some time since I did this, but I believe all of the components of the scenario will be in that folder. Any problems, I bet '66 can help us out.

This will need to be done for each of the fourteen scenarios. I will see if Larry Fulkerson can put this folder into one download. I will also see if Bob Cross can incorporate this folder in the next TOAW update now Stéphane has released it. (thanks again, Stéphane, if you are out there.)

I understand Stéphane does not plan any additional scenario past fourteen July 1970.

Seems you have to have permission to download these scenarios. I sent a request but have not heard back.

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 64
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/24/2019 6:37:10 PM   
comte

look:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 65
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/24/2019 6:43:20 PM   
Zovs

quote:

ORIGINAL: comte

quote:

That's what I did and it is not working

It seems like its working for me?

Large 2d:

Huge 2d:

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 66
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/24/2019 6:49:03 PM   
comte

It is not working for you. The USA HQ has a special graphic that says MACV for example. The Army HQ In Saigon in your screenshot.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 67
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/24/2019 7:11:26 PM   
Zovs

Okay I see what you mean now, it does not look like it can (or knows how to pickup units_1_017_0.* files) even in the editor:

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 68
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/24/2019 7:47:08 PM   
Zovs

I think I found the issue with this scenario.

In TOAW III you can/could use custom graphics for each of the many icon counter sheets.

In TOAW IV that is no longer possible, instead you use the default counter sheet and the default colors and then you can customize those colors with an xml file.

The way TOAW IV works now is that it uses the h_unit.png file for the icon's themselves and then you (as the editor) can override that with the colors xml file.

This is why you won't see any 'custom' icon's that are in this (and it's family/group of scenarios). The way to fix this is to make a copy of the h_unit's file and insert into the second slot that MACV in place of the HQ icon that was previously there. The problem with this scenario (and the whole group of the scenarios in this series) is that each of those custom counter sheets may not use a MACV and instead use something else in that slot, so this solution may not work in all cases.

Here is an image showing the issue, on the left is the new TOAW IV h_unit.png file and on the right one of the custom counter sets:

To further illustrate the complexity of this problem with this scenario and how TOAW IV works is that this file: units_1_017_0.png has the text MACV in the Second Icon Slot but in this file: units_1_017_1 uses ATF as text in the First Icon Slot, and this file units_1_017_2 uses the text MAF in the Second Icon Slot. So each file that was customized in TOAW III would have to have a unique icon slot since all of these are global (the h_units.png).

So as long as all the custom TOAW III units_* had unique places for the custom icon then you could create a master h_units.png file with the MACV, ATF, MAF etc. and ship that within the new scenario folder structure to pick it up.

< Message edited by Zovs -- 9/24/2019 7:52:10 PM >

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 69
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/25/2019 12:48:48 AM   
Dragnaath

Thanks very much r6kunz for converting these scenarios to TOAWIV looking towards next installments.

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 70
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/25/2019 1:58:20 AM   
Zovs

They maybe converted but they are not as the original designer intended, see my post # 69

Beta Tester for:
War in the East 1 & 2
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2

(in reply to Dragnaath)
Post #: 71
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/25/2019 2:30:38 AM   
BigDuke66

Should have thought about this, I'm pretty disappointed that this like many other scenarios are "damaged" by the way counters are handled now. If at least the counter sheet would have been expanded to 255 like Ralph once pointed out is possible, then the designers could use the additional slots to regain the ability to use custom icons, but that counter sheet is still not expanded.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 72
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/25/2019 2:45:43 AM   
Dragnaath

Well that sucks, as I was looking towards them.

I have TOAW III installed as well and downloaded them into scenario folder copied the graphics folders however only first two show up in the game scenario list.

Any ideas why?

Thx

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 73
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/25/2019 5:17:14 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

If at least the counter sheet would have been expanded to 255

This does nothing to restore the original scenarios, so is of no help at all.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 74
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/25/2019 6:02:08 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

I will see if Larry Fulkerson can put this folder into one download.

I'll get right on it.

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 75
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/25/2019 6:02:19 AM   
BigDuke66

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

If at least the counter sheet would have been expanded to 255

This does nothing to restore the original scenarios, so is of no help at all.

Nothing restores the originals with the different way of handling them in TOAWIV, but a bigger sheet with empty slots would give the designers a chance to fix them. Currently scenarios depending heavy on custom sheets are unable to be fixed, only way for them is to switch back to TOAWIII.

< Message edited by BigDuke66 -- 9/25/2019 6:19:24 AM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 76
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/25/2019 2:01:04 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

Nothing restores the originals with the different way of handling them in TOAWIV, but a bigger sheet with empty slots would give the designers a chance to fix them.

There are few if any scenario designers hanging around waiting for some 'fix' to the issue. The only way to correct it is to correct it. We shouldn't have to settle for half measures, this is TOAW.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 77
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/25/2019 2:38:39 PM   
comte

Is there an archive of older TOAW III installers? I would like to replay VCO on the patch it was intended for version 3.2.29.27

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 78
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/25/2019 3:40:44 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

If at least the counter sheet would have been expanded to 255 like Ralph once pointed out is possible, then the designers could use the additional slots to regain the ability to use custom icons, but that counter sheet is still not expanded.

The current 126 available would probably be sufficient if the scenario designer was able to select (program) unit capabilities for individual icon positions. Shown below is a sample matrix with the current capabilities for HQs, artillery and KGs. The KG position (Row 3, Column 1) could be edited to have HQ and bombardment capabilities. The icon itself could be changed to MACV or whatever is desired.

Maybe this is all hard coded into the game engine; if so, make it an item for the wish list.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 79
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/25/2019 3:42:31 PM   
rhinobones

Second try on the graphic.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 80
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/25/2019 7:17:35 PM   
BigDuke66

quote:

quote:

Nothing restores the originals with the different way of handling them in TOAWIV, but a bigger sheet with empty slots would give the designers a chance to fix them.

There are few if any scenario designers hanging around waiting for some 'fix' to the issue. The only way to correct it is to correct it. We shouldn't have to settle for half measures, this is TOAW.

Well all that has to be done is to restore the way icons worked like it was in TOAWIII, afaik this is impossible with the way the game works now. So there is nothing else to do as to wait and hope for improvements.
Maybe it's still TOAW but it's more TOAWIII then anything else, that means problems here & there and fixes for them not even on the horizon(good example is the bugged interdiction).

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 81
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/26/2019 1:14:14 AM   
Hellen_slith

For me who am not as savvy about the inner workings of this series, can y'all explain "like I'm five" the ramifications of the graphics at issue?

The reason I ask is, that I have tried to play some of the first scene in the series ... through trial and error I managed to get it working, and even that one unit that seems to be at issue showed up on my screen as MCAV (I think that is what it was called.)

I am getting a "not using correct equipment file" message though, and it is confusing to me whether it is working as intended. I have never played this before, but it looks like it would be a lot of fun. The manuals alone are simply amazing.

Thank you for your kind help.

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 82
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/26/2019 9:03:35 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

Is there an archive of older TOAW III installers?

It's the new era of TOAW, whether you like it or not.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 83
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/26/2019 2:05:20 PM   
r6kunz

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: r6kunz

I created a Scenario folder, Vietnam Combat Operations, in C:/ Program Files(x86)---> Matrix Games ---> Operational Art of War IV---> Scenarios ---> Vietnam Combat Operations.

I then went to Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat website:

https://sites.google.com/site/vietnamcombatoperations/Home

Then download the scenario(s) you want (the small blue down arrow on the bottom right), and unzipped the scenario into your new VCO folder. Open and save (to convert to TOAW IV.

It has been some time since I did this, but I believe all of the components of the scenario will be in that folder. Any problems, I bet '66 can help us out.

This will need to be done for each of the fourteen scenarios. I will see if Larry Fulkerson can put this folder into one download. I will also see if Bob Cross can incorporate this folder in the next TOAW update now Stéphane has released it. (thanks again, Stéphane, if you are out there.)

I understand Stéphane does not plan any additional scenario past fourteen July 1970.

Seems you have to have permission to download these scenarios. I sent a request but have not heard back.

Yes, we have permission from Stéphane to use his Vietnam Combat Operations scenarios. His response to my request:

Stéphane Moutin-Luyat <smoutin@hotmail.fr>
Fri, Feb 15, 11:32 PM
to me
Hello Robert,

Tried to send you a reply on my other mail address but it bounced back. You have my permission to reuse and alter the vco scenarios of course.

Sent from my iPad

Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 84
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/26/2019 2:22:11 PM   
r6kunz

Some of the graphic issues with TOAWIV were brought up (but not solved) by Stéphane in the first dozen or so posts in this thread.

Has anyone had a problem with playing the game itself? In my ignorance, I had played through the first two scenarios to completion using the missions in Stéphane's manual with no show-stopping problems...a draw and a marginal.

RAK

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 85
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/26/2019 6:00:24 PM   
comte

quote:

quote:

Good thing I have this buddy

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by comte -- 9/26/2019 6:04:02 PM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 86
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/26/2019 6:05:17 PM   
comte

quote:

quote:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 87
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/26/2019 6:12:48 PM   
comte

Anyway anybody interested in getting the pure experience can also download the 3.2.29.27 patch for TOAW III from MODDB website. They have an archive of all the TOAW III patches. These scenarios were made for this version of TOAW III. So I will archive a copy of 3 and all the scenarios for future use. Also TOAW III works great on windows 10 just set it to Windows XP compatibility mode. I will also continue to play TOAW IV this is not meant as a knock on TOAW IV but some of these classic scenarios just work better on 3. Here is a screen of the MACV Icon also you can see the SVN Rangers the BDQ units also a custom icon.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by comte -- 9/26/2019 6:13:44 PM >

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 88
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/26/2019 6:37:27 PM   
larryfulkerson

which version of TOAW III would you like?

Attachment (1)

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 89
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/26/2019 8:04:01 PM   
comte

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

which version of TOAW III would you like?

Thanks Larry this is awesome

I used my physical disk and found the patch I wanted. Happy to see someone out there archiving the different
versions though

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI