Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Weather effects--where would they be shown?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Weather effects--where would they be shown? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Weather effects--where would they be shown? - 11/21/2017 1:45:25 PM   
BigBog

I am looking for where on the UI the info for weather effects, such as snow or mud, would be reflected?
I am thinking that they may be on the "per hex movement values" shown on the movement path arrow, but not sure they are reflected there either--

If I toggle on the weather overlay, in areas where there should be mud I don;t see any difference between those movement values and other non-mud areas....?

Any help in understanding how to access the "penalties" on the map or UI would be appreciated--!

BigBog

Post #: 1
RE: Weather effects--where would they be shown? - 11/21/2017 3:22:14 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigBog

I am looking for where on the UI the info for weather effects, such as snow or mud, would be reflected?
I am thinking that they may be on the "per hex movement values" shown on the movement path arrow, but not sure they are reflected there either--

If I toggle on the weather overlay, in areas where there should be mud I don;t see any difference between those movement values and other non-mud areas....?

Any help in understanding how to access the "penalties" on the map or UI would be appreciated--!

BigBog

Snow and mud appear on the map - they have their own terrain tiles.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to BigBog)
Post #: 2
RE: Weather effects--where would they be shown? - 11/21/2017 11:50:02 PM   
goodwoodrw

A note on weather, we can show weather on the map but is there a legend for the symbols?

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 3
RE: Weather effects--where would they be shown? - 11/22/2017 4:21:17 AM   
sPzAbt653

These ?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 4
RE: Weather effects--where would they be shown? - 11/22/2017 12:41:09 PM   
BigBog

Excellent help--I didn't realize they had their own terrain tiles. What I was looking at was weather where it had been raining for several tuens, but mud actually hadn't occurred yet. I thought it was muddy, but wasn't. Now I'll look for those separate tiles....thanks!!@

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 5
RE: Weather effects--where would they be shown? - 1/8/2018 10:31:44 PM   
JTenebrous

Hey, sorry if I've missed something here, but is there in existance any legend for the weather symbols in TOAW IV? I can see the chart above, but it doesn't match what I'm seeing on my screen, and doesn't include all the weather icons I'm seeing when I enabled the weather overlay (so maybe this chart was for TOAW III?). Also, is there any guidance as to what these various weather effects specifically *do* in game terms? I've seen a weather report or two in my time, so I can make an abstract guess, but it would be good to know in detail if such a resource is out there. I've RTFM'd from cover-to-cover so unless my eyelids were getting heavy during this particular section (hey, 176 pages of game manual can be hard going), there isn't any information available. Thanks.

< Message edited by JTenebrous -- 1/8/2018 10:37:22 PM >

(in reply to BigBog)
Post #: 6
RE: Weather effects--where would they be shown? - 1/8/2018 11:34:56 PM   
sPzAbt653

Searching the pdf manual for 'Weather' will show you all the effects, they are scattered thru the manual. Below is the TOAW III weather [post 4 shows TOAW III .png weather, post 8 shows TOAW IV weather]. Not sure what else you are seeing, maybe give us a screen shot ?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 1/9/2018 9:55:59 AM >

(in reply to JTenebrous)
Post #: 7
RE: Weather effects--where would they be shown? - 1/8/2018 11:39:42 PM   
Meyer1

Weather effects are all over the manual, would be nice to be concentrated in one section but... I just search for the word "weather"in the PDF. 75 results

Yeah that chart is from TOAW III. There isn't a chart like that in the manual so there you go (in the same order as the older)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Meyer1 -- 1/8/2018 11:53:55 PM >

(in reply to JTenebrous)
Post #: 8
RE: Weather effects--where would they be shown? - 1/8/2018 11:44:02 PM   
Meyer1

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Searching the pdf manual for 'Weather' will show you all the effects, they are scattered thru the manual. Below is the TOAW III weather [post 4 shows TOAW IV weather]. Not sure what else you are seeing, maybe give us a screen shot ?

Steve, the first chart that you posted is the default weather for TOAW III. That is, the PNG one. Of course you didn't use it

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 9
RE: Weather effects--where would they be shown? - 1/9/2018 1:37:49 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

Steve, the first chart that you posted is the default weather for TOAW III. That is, the PNG one. Of course you didn't use it

Lol, yes of course I never used it ! Thanks for the correction, I was thinking that I made those when the IV graphics change happened, but I guess I did them before that.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 10
RE: Weather effects--where would they be shown? - 1/9/2018 8:42:28 AM   
JTenebrous

Much appreciated guys, that sorts it out. Meyer, thanks for putting together this chart corresponds with the updated .PNG TOAW IV weather icons. This makes everything more clear.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 11
RE: Weather effects--where would they be shown? - 1/9/2018 11:02:11 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: JTenebrous

Much appreciated guys, that sorts it out. Meyer, thanks for putting together this chart corresponds with the updated .PNG TOAW IV weather icons. This makes everything more clear.

AFAIR I also explained it in Tutorial '44, especially the impact for the air force(s).

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to JTenebrous)
Post #: 12
RE: Weather effects--where would they be shown? - 1/9/2018 5:10:38 PM   
JTenebrous

OK, cool - I'm just working through your Tutorial '41 at the moment (which is great), but I plan to go through all of them now that I've read the manual. I should be pretty well prepared after that (I hope).

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Weather effects--where would they be shown? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI