Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/19/2018 10:48:19 PM   
KorutZelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sugar

According to your reports, 8 players are not playing any matches, and another 3 are temporarely out of duty. A deadline could be motivating I guess, and after finishing the first tourney anotherone could start with new hopes.

Summer is summer. All things considered participation is not that bad. Broadcasting your availability helps though because not everyone monitor the first page of the thread.

Maybe if you promise to go easy on them or fight with one hand behind you back you can convince someone from the second level to challenge you? I suspect some people on the second level are waiting for you to be locked in a game to be able to challenge each other to advance. Can't blame them really.

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 211
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/19/2018 11:35:33 PM   
Sugar

quote:

Summer is summer.
Oh well, forgot about that, good point.

quote:

I suspect some people on the second level are waiting for you to be locked in a game to be able to challenge each other to advance.

Aren't they allowed to play on their own lvl?

quote:

Maybe if you promise to go easy on them or fight with one hand behind you back you can convince someone from the second level to challenge you?
It`s not so much about me, but this system is a bit restrictive, don't you think?

Alltogether I guess the goals are already achieved: the balancing seems to be satisfying, and this kind of ranking could be the base for a championship tourney with group stage and subsequently KO. This way a tourney would provide limited numbers matches and timelines.

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 212
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/20/2018 12:59:48 AM   
KorutZelva

quote:

quote:

I suspect some people on the second level are waiting for you to be locked in a game to be able to challenge each other to advance.

Aren't they allowed to play on their own lvl?

quote:

Maybe if you promise to go easy on them or fight with one hand behind you back you can convince someone from the second level to challenge you?
It`s not so much about me, but this system is a bit restrictive, don't you think?

Alltogether I guess the goals are already achieved: the balancing seems to be satisfying, and this kind of ranking could be the base for a championship tourney with group stage and subsequently KO. This way a tourney would provide limited numbers matches and timelines.

They are allowed to challenge at same level only when they run out of upstairs opponent, precisely so that people in your situation see more action. In theory anyway.

The pyramid system ain't perfect (I'd probably do a simpler ladder were I to do it again) but it does have advantages over brackets because it allows less down time for active player (well except those at the top). With a bracket you have to wait for your next opponent, which can be a long time because the pace of play from players to players can widely vary.

I'm not too hung up on tourney duration mostly because it's more to match people on similar skill level than crowning any 'king'. Now that we have some pyramid steps established, I don't really want to start it over. I do wish that people on the second step would be a bit more on the ball to try to ascend to the next step.

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 213
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/20/2018 6:43:19 PM   
MrLongleg

New game startet: pjg100 (Axis) vs MrLongleg (Allies)

MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 214
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/20/2018 6:51:16 PM   
KorutZelva

YohanTM, Rannug61, IrishGuards, BPINisBack any of you guys want to challenge the Sugaryman?

(in reply to MrLongleg)
Post #: 215
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/21/2018 6:53:06 AM   
BPINisBACK

You mean to be tortured by Sugar?

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 216
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/21/2018 7:00:32 AM   
Sugar

Hehe, I'd rather wait until the next bugfix anyway.

(in reply to BPINisBACK)
Post #: 217
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/21/2018 10:46:47 AM   
KorutZelva

quote:

Hehe, I'd rather wait until the next bugfix anyway.

After kicking a fuss about not playing?

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 218
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/22/2018 8:57:21 AM   
BPINisBACK

New game startet: BPINisBACK(Axis) vs HamburgerMeat(Allies)
HamburgerMeat challenges me! :)

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 219
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/22/2018 11:10:36 AM   
YohanTM

I challenge Sugar - I will take Allies

Advise welcome :)

(in reply to BPINisBACK)
Post #: 220
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/22/2018 11:50:54 AM   
KorutZelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: YohanTM

Read the KZ-Sugar AAR and don't repeat my mistakes.

(in reply to YohanTM)
Post #: 221
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/24/2018 3:14:44 AM   
MrLongleg

quote:

ORIGINAL: YohanTM

You deserve a medal for this. I will root with the Allies here. @Sugar - I have a thing for the underdogs, I wish I could master the Axis like you do ;-)

MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)

(in reply to YohanTM)
Post #: 222
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/26/2018 5:19:01 PM   
Sugar

Sorry for the delay, gents! Some Log In issues on my side.

quote:

Very nice! I`ll set up the challenge and contact you.

(in reply to MrLongleg)
Post #: 223
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/26/2018 7:41:27 PM   
YohanTM

For what we are about to receive...

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 224
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/27/2018 12:40:34 PM   
Rannug61

Rannug(Allies) wins over Bullet(Axis) May 1943

Axis holds NA and western Syria/Jordan and Palestine, the Allies has firm control over Iraq and has control over the ME skies. Spain is Axis. In Russia Leningrad/Moskwa/Rostov/Kharkov and Stalingrad are in Russian control. Leningrad would have gone down during the next couple of turn though.
UK/US was slowly preparing a D-Day for the summer(July) of 43. Axis was not doomed but it was starting to be an uphill battle and Bullet had enough.

"En svensk tiger"

(in reply to YohanTM)
Post #: 225
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/27/2018 12:56:45 PM   
KorutZelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rannug61

Rannug(Allies) wins over Bullet(Axis) May 1943

Axis holds NA and western Syria/Jordan and Palestine, the Allies has firm control over Iraq and has control over the ME skies. Spain is Axis. In Russia Leningrad/Moskwa/Rostov/Kharkov and Stalingrad are in Russian control. Leningrad would have gone down during the next couple of turn though.
UK/US was slowly preparing a D-Day for the summer(July) of 43. Axis was not doomed but it was starting to be an uphill battle and Bullet had enough.

Wait I thought your game with bullet was already over (Game #18) or is that a rematch of some sort?

(in reply to Rannug61)
Post #: 226
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/27/2018 1:37:52 PM   
Rannug61

It's game # 18 but I just wanted give a short "picture" of how the game ended. I been on holiday and got back yesterday and found out that Bullet had resigned.

< Message edited by Rannug61 -- 6/27/2018 1:40:27 PM >

"En svensk tiger"

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 227
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/27/2018 4:07:34 PM   
KorutZelva

gotcha!

(in reply to Rannug61)
Post #: 228
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/27/2018 11:06:45 PM   
Taxman66

I'm willing to give this another go.
Though I can't guarantee I'll get a turn done every day (though some days, usually Thurs - Sun US time, I might be able to do more than 1), obviously early war will be quicker/easier.
Also not likely to do another AAR, or if I do it will have to be with my opponent's approval as it will reduce turn frequency.

I'd also like to start off accepting a challenge instead of making one (unless I get bumped to the bottom?)

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 229
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/27/2018 11:19:58 PM   
KorutZelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taxman66

I'm willing to give this another go.
Though I can't guarantee I'll get a turn done every day (though some days, usually Thurs - Sun US time, I might be able to do more than 1), obviously early war will be quicker/easier.
Also not likely to do another AAR, or if I do it will have to be with my opponent's approval as it will reduce turn frequency.

I'd also like to start off accepting a challenge instead of making one (unless I get bumped to the bottom?)

Yeah, we put the rule to bump down one pyramid level upon reactivation from retirement. I know its not your case but its to avoid situation where people would 'retire' to dodge challenges. :)

I think Rannug said he was going on vacation for a week so maybe challenge Irishguard to reclaim a spot on the second level? Or wait a week and do a rematch with Rannug!

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 230
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/28/2018 12:01:02 AM   
Taxman66

OK, I challenge Irishguard.
I'll play the Allies as I'm still too chicken to try the Axis.

Do I have to PM him?

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 231
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/28/2018 12:03:50 AM   
KorutZelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taxman66

OK, I challenge Irishguard.
I'll play the Allies as I'm still too chicken to try the Axis.

Do I have to PM him?

Yeah, might as well. I don't know how often he checks the forum so at least a PM will get to his email.

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 232
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 6/28/2018 1:23:11 PM   
IrishGuards

yup pm received ... game accepted
waiting for his reply
IG

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 233
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 7/11/2018 2:27:01 PM   
room

Tourney Game #22: PJL1973 (Allies) vs room (Axis)

PJL has resigned... I am a bit dubitative and have no info from him as of why atm.

I don't think the game was quite decively decided yet even if I felt confortable.

We were sept or nov 42 and I did not have any of the 3 SU key cities yet. Just took Rostov and started caucasian et Stalingrad approach while starting the siege of Leningrad fortification and had access to Moscow fortification only from the South. Had started to invadade Persia but no solid attempt has they were russian there and I prefered to destroyed the anglo-US in South Persia. Had Spain and Finland on my side too. Finally U-boat were doing a remarquable job for sure and losses ratio was good for me. However I do not feel it was over by any means.

< Message edited by room -- 7/11/2018 6:19:58 PM >

(in reply to IrishGuards)
Post #: 234
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 7/11/2018 6:46:46 PM   
PJL1973

I resigned because you were essentially winning everywhere. You were winning the naval war, the war in Russia & Persia, the air war, the economic war. I tried to make a stand with the Western Allies in southern Persia, but your air superiority made that impossible. The only reason why I was still doing well in Russia was that you were focusing on the south. But I knew once you had taken that threat out, I was toast in Russia. Even without the focus you were slowing pushing me back.

Even so, had I felt I had control of the naval war I might have carried on. But there was very little I could do to your subs, and they were not only strangling my convoys but hitting my infrastructure in North America too. As a result your economy was nearly as big as mine anyway.

As a result I knew the writing was on the wall. Yes you hadn't captured any of the Soviet victory cities, but you were in a position to take all 3 of them by the end of 1943. All I could do at that point was delay the inevitable.

Personally I think you are a very good player, in the top 3, along with Sugar and Korut.

(in reply to room)
Post #: 235
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 7/11/2018 9:18:47 PM   
PvtBenjamin

Wow Another Axis victory in the tourney (and many in the works) !!!!

When high level players engage seems the Axis ALWAYS wins

I'm sure some will continue to try to recruit new players to get a beat down to say the Allies are favored

The conundrum is for newer players the Allies have an advantage

Adding difficulty levels like in the AI game anyone?

(in reply to PJL1973)
Post #: 236
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 7/11/2018 9:26:43 PM   
KorutZelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: PJL1973

Personally I think you are a very good player, in the top 3, along with Sugar and Korut.

Ha! It's still funny to think I'm seen up there. I'll take the compliment.

(in reply to PJL1973)
Post #: 237
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 7/11/2018 9:29:10 PM   
KorutZelva

Room challenge Rannug to a game before Sugar or I finish our game. The game will allow one of you to move up a level!

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 238
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 7/11/2018 9:41:33 PM   
Rannug61

I'm here waiting for you Room....

"En svensk tiger"

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 239
RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread - 7/11/2018 9:52:01 PM   
room

Thanks PJL, I think most of what you said is correct. I am just kind of a hard finisher, my 2 best games imowhere miracle comeback game with the allies (one victory and one draw). However I am far from KZ and even further from Sugar, the guy beated me in DEC 42

Please challenge me Rannug, my only condition is that you setup the game and password

< Message edited by room -- 7/11/2018 10:15:59 PM >

(in reply to Rannug61)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> RE: Official Tourney Pyramid Thread Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI