Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J) Page: <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/7/2020 8:08:16 PM   
BBfanboy

Those BBs that failed to bombard might not have been an oversight on your part about setting orders to bombard. I have had instances of setting a TF to bombard and after it did not do so, finding it sitting in the target hex in Surface Combat mode with full magazines. In every case like this it was a low or zero D/L on the enemy that scrubbed the bombardment. I do put up float planes but if the weather is poor they don't fly or don't see anything.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1501
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/8/2020 12:19:12 PM   
apbarog

29 Aug 43

Pompano hit xAP Kokuryu Maru with one good torpedo and one dud near Amami Oshima. Paddle hit xAP Kitano Maru with 2 good torpedoes and one dud near Tokunoshima. Kitano Maru is carrying troops. Capelin hit xAK Cuba Maru with a good torpedo and a dud near Aogashima.

Battleships Mississippi, Idaho, Pennsylvania, Arizona and West Virginia hit Kendari.

Night Naval bombardment of Kendari at 70,106

Allied Ships
BB Mississippi
BB Idaho
BB Pennsylvania
BB Arizona
BB West Virginia

Japanese ground losses:
1327 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 15 destroyed, 47 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 7 disabled
Guns lost 16 (9 destroyed, 7 disabled)
Vehicles lost 3 (2 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Airbase hits 3
Runway hits 19
Port hits 1

But as the battewagons headed back to Koepang, just outside of Kendari, RO-102 hit Pennsylvania with a torpedo. Pennsylvania is SYS 18/FLOT 31-26/ENG 6-5/FIRE 0. Looks like the big mobile drydock at Sydney will have its first customer.

A large number of heavy and medium bombers hit troops at Kendari, and hit absolutely nothing in thunderstorms. Bombing troops at Kendari has been extremely ineffective.

The enemy's Southwest Area Fleet continued to be reduced at Madioen. Another attack at Kendari. The battleships helped, and this attack went pretty well.

Ground combat at Kendari (70,106)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 27708 troops, 471 guns, 656 vehicles, Assault Value = 843

Defending force 19872 troops, 191 guns, 105 vehicles, Assault Value = 178

Allied adjusted assault: 454

Japanese adjusted defense: 319

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 4)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 3

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), disruption(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1496 casualties reported
Squads: 68 destroyed, 12 disabled
Non Combat: 7 destroyed, 31 disabled
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 12 disabled
Guns lost 27 (13 destroyed, 14 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
393 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 40 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 17 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 6 (1 destroyed, 5 disabled)
Vehicles lost 12 (1 destroyed, 11 disabled)

Troops need some rest, and will get it, as they wait for the battleships to rearm at Koepang and return.

Paras from the 1st Special Service Force on Ailinglap drop on Bikini, Rongelap and Taongi. Only two unoccupied enemy dot bases remain in the Marshalls, and they are adjacent to Allied Wotje, and should flip automatically, eventually. The 1st Special Service Force will withdraw in days.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1502
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/8/2020 2:14:30 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

The 1st Special Service Force will withdraw in days.

Then they get to go to Italy where the Germans called them "Schwartzteufeln, or ‘Black Devils."

quote:

Ater World War II ended, a group of Fort Ord-based army officers were enjoying a drink in their favorite bar, under the Sausalito end of the Golden Gate Bridge, when a policeman walked in. His eyes scanned the dimly lit, smoky interior and settled on something that seemed out of place–a soldier with a mustache and two silver stars on each shoulder who looked much too young to be a major general. He was obviously an impostor.

Approaching him, the policeman asked to see some identification. The officer complied, handing his ID card to the policeman. The cop glanced at the photo on it and the rank–major general. ‘Damned good forgery,’ the cop told himself as he flipped the card onto the grimy floor. A split second later, the policeman was lying next to the ID card, his jaw already beginning to swell from the force of the blow that had just been delivered by the mustachioed general. The young man wearing two stars was, in fact, Maj. Gen. Robert T. Frederick, creator and commander of the 1st Special Service Force, one of the most feared–and most fearless–fighting units ever assembled.

https://www.historynet.com/us-canadian-1st-special-service-force-in-world-war-ii.htm

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1503
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/8/2020 9:55:15 PM   
ChuckBerger

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChuckBerger

I love the image of WW2 paratroopers dropping in daylight on to a defended coral atoll! Works well enough in game... but irl it would be like half dead because they dropped into the lagoon, and the other half dead in the air before their feet even touch the ground!

The Japanese used paratroops in daylight to take Fort Drum in Manila harbour, and maybe on Corregidor Island too. Fighters and bombers flying close air support can keep the enemy heads down.

quote:

The Japanese used paratroops in daylight to take Fort Drum in Manila harbour, and maybe on Corregidor Island too. Fighters and bombers flying close air support can keep the enemy heads down.

Do you have any additional info on this? I couldn't find any reference to Japanese paratrooper operations at all in the Philippines, and the online accounts of the battles I read all indicate Fort Drum kept firing until the end of the battle & was never taken by force, and the attack on Corregidor was all by sea. The US did use paratroopers in retaking Corregidor in 1945, but I cant see that they were used at Fort Drum... thanks!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1504
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/8/2020 11:07:28 PM   
BBfanboy

He lost over a third of his AV destroyed in that last attack. Your next attack should take the base, even without bombardment.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1505
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/9/2020 8:34:47 PM   
apbarog

30 Aug 43

Sub Seal hit xAK Otake Maru with a working torpedo and a dud near Siquijor.

On the southern coast of Java, the enemy 57th Division broke through the encirclement, kicking out the 4th USMC Tank Battalion.

Ground combat at 53,104 (near Madioen)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 14624 troops, 124 guns, 34 vehicles, Assault Value = 425

Defending force 480 troops, 0 guns, 91 vehicles, Assault Value = 52

Japanese adjusted assault: 254

Allied adjusted defense: 37

Japanese assault odds: 6 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+), leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
431 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 45 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Allied ground losses:
Vehicles lost 29 (16 destroyed, 13 disabled)
Units retreated 1

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
57th Division

Defending units:
4th USMC Tank Battalion

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1506
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/10/2020 3:55:46 PM   
apbarog

31 Aug 43

LCDR C.O. Triebel is the captain of the submarine Snook, patrolling near the Chinese coast. Snook spotted a big cargo convoy and lined up xAK Anyo Maru. Two torpedoes were fired. One hit, but it was a dud. Snook then made another attack run, lining up xAK Brisbane Maru. Same story. Two torpedoes fired. One hit, but it was a dud. LCRD Triebel radioed back to headquarters at Koepang, stating that the torpedoes are still not working correctly. Unknown to Triebel, just today a torpedoman at the Bureau of Ordnance spotted that something was missing from the Mk XIV manual: a tiny unlabeled switch, hidden near the exploder. The manual had no mention of the switch, which should have been labeled "Reliable USN Torpedo". The switch should always been set to ON, but for some reason, all of the torpedoes had it set to OFF. Triebel, and all of the other sub captains, were notified today to reset the switch, and told that the torpedoes should be working (mostly) tomorrow.

(Some of the previous story was not exactly 100% historically accurate)

Thus ends the reduced torpedo dud rate phase of the war. During this phase, from January through August 1943, for the applicable torpedoes, there were 212 torpedo hits, with 76 of them being duds, for a dud rate of 35.8%.

5 slow battleships are in position, southwest of Kendari, ready to bombard again. But they are spotted, again, and this time there's an enemy surface group at Ternate. Ternate is within range of Kendari, with a high speed run. Not wanting to fight a surface battle with the slow BBs, they are ordered west of Kendari, to wait it out a day and have air cover. The next ground attack will be tomorrow, when the battleships actually bombard.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1507
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/10/2020 4:03:31 PM   
BBfanboy

"Reliable USN Torpedo" switch!

But should the dud rate in the past be considered increased, not decreased? Decreased duds equals more bang, and you definitely were not getting that!

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1508
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/10/2020 4:17:38 PM   
RangerJoe

I like one kind of dud. Milk Duds!

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1509
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/10/2020 4:20:48 PM   
apbarog

That's true, BBfanboy. I was considering that there are three phases with the duds: the initial phase through the end of 1942, a "reduced" dud rate phase till September 1943, and the final phase without a dud penalty. So I meant that the second phase had a reduced dud rate compared to the first phase.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1510
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/11/2020 12:54:18 AM   
apbarog

1 Sep 43

Sub Trident's captain apparently got the message to reset the torpedoes. Trident fired two torpedoes at xAK Sangetsu Maru. Both hit and both worked. The ship is believed to have sunk right after combat. Trident is braving the shallow waters southwest of Legaspi.

Slow US battleships will bombard Kendari, and troops will attack. The enemy surface group at Ternate didn't go to Kendari. It went to Namlea. There were LSTs unloading supply at Ambon, but they had just left.

A resorting of carriers took place at Darwin. Task forces are being reformed, with aircraft returning to the flattops. Refueling and rearming will take several turns. The big carriers will move to Port Hedland to await supporting the Sumatra invasion. Some of the big carriers will then go to Colombo to do their October '43 upgrade. Colombo is a lot closer than going all the way back to Sydney. Victorious will withdraw after the Sumatra invasion. Yorktown is repairing with ARD Dewey at Bathurst Island. It needs a couple of weeks to fix a few points of FLOT damage. Yorktown will probably miss the Sumatra support.

The CVLs and CVEs will stay at Darwin and will support the invasion of Balikpapan.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1511
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/11/2020 9:00:37 PM   
apbarog

2 Sep 43

4 slow US battleships bombarded Kendari and did good work. 786 casualties, with a significant number of destroyed devices. Beaufighters came in on the deck and strafed and bombed the port. Erroneously. Should have been set for naval strike. A few were shot down. Liberators hit Kendari also. The attack at Kendari went well. We'll attack again after supply gets to the units.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 28867 troops, 480 guns, 683 vehicles, Assault Value = 866

Defending force 19048 troops, 186 guns, 105 vehicles, Assault Value = 168

Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Allied adjusted assault: 470

Japanese adjusted defense: 281

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 2)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), disruption(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1483 casualties reported
Squads: 40 destroyed, 37 disabled
Non Combat: 26 destroyed, 49 disabled
Engineers: 9 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 44 (19 destroyed, 25 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
339 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 21 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 8 disabled
Engineers: 20 destroyed, 1 disabled
Vehicles lost 15 (1 destroyed, 14 disabled)

Assaulting units:
754th Tank Battalion
131st Cmbt Engineer Regiment
4th Marine Division
193rd Tank Battalion
627th Tank Destroyer Battalion
41st Infantry Division
3rd NZ Armoured Sqn
97th Field Artillery Battalion
XIV US Corps
154th Field Artillery Battalion
98th Field Artillery Battalion

Defending units:
4th Raiding Regiment
17th Garrison Unit
24th Infantry Regiment
54th Construction Battalion
23rd Special Base Force
2nd Mortar Battalion
39th JNAF AF Unit
47th JNAF AF Unit
2nd Field Artillery Regiment
56th Const Co
22nd JNAF AF Unit
3rd Fleet
48th Field AA Battalion
14th Army
5th Air Division
11th JAAF AF Bn

Many heavy bombers moved to Tjepoe, Soerabaja, Makassar and Kolaka, to hit oil at Miri, Brunei and Tarakan. Could run into lots of fighters and/or flak. We'll see. With Balikpapan and Samarinda and Palembang slated for capture in the next couple of months, taking out Miri and Brunei and Tarakan leaves little oil production for the enemy.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1512
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/13/2020 3:18:19 PM   
apbarog

3 Sep 43

Good work from the Silent Service today, with working torpedoes. Greenling hit xAK Hitati Maru with two working torpedoes near Toyohara. The ship was carrying oil and was a certain goner. But Greenling attacked again and got another torpedo hit, sinking the ship. Snook hit xAK Oregon Maru with a torpedo near Pescadores. The ship is carrying troops.

Many heavy bombers hit Miri. About a dozen hit Brunei. None of the heavies assigned to hit Tarakan flew. At Miri, thunderstorms prevented good bombing accuracy. The bombers flew at 10,000 feet and scored 68 oil hits, judging from the mouse-over. 233 oil remains there. There was no CAP, but I'm certain there will be CAP there today. 3 oil was destroyed at Brunei, leaving 18 there. More bombers will switch over to hit Tarakan today.

P-47s moved to Tavoy and swept Victoria Point, but the fighters that had been there were not there.

Along the north coast of Java, a tank destroyer battalion is leading the way, and cleared Semarang, with the help of some B-25s.

Ground combat at Semarang (53,102)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 552 troops, 3 guns, 82 vehicles, Assault Value = 49

Defending force 576 troops, 0 guns, 132 vehicles, Assault Value = 54

Allied adjusted assault: 48

Japanese adjusted defense: 2

Allied assault odds: 24 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied forces CAPTURE Semarang !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: op mode(-), disruption(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-)
experience(-)
Attacker: leaders(+)

Japanese ground losses:
Vehicles lost 52 (52 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 2

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
637th Tank Destroyer Battalion

Defending units:
1st Tank Regiment
4th Tank Regiment

Divisions and support are already on the way to Semarang. A few units, at Soerabaja in strat mode, will rail in. I may not get another encirclement of troops, but I will probably force an enemy retreat in the face of a possible cutoff.

Allied big carriers are ordered to Port Hedland from Darwin. They'll sit there until it's time to move into the Indian Ocean to support a huge amphibious force coming down from Colombo. The last xAPs needed for that force has left Aden and will be on the map soon, moving to Colombo.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1513
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/13/2020 9:39:49 PM   
BBfanboy

I don't know why, but when you mouseover an enemy base all the industry counts are incremented by one on the display (but not in actuality). So Brunei really had a total of 20 oil points, not 18+3= 21. The three damaged is probably an accurate figure and the other one should be 17.

Miri may not have had as many oil hits as you claim: It starts out with oil and refinery each at 150(150). No doubt the Japanese repaired some but unless you saw 300 fully repaired oil points before the bombing, I am not sure that you really got 68 oil hits. That sounds pretty good for bombing in thunderstorms.

At any rate, getting attacks on Miri in 1943 is good progress! Congrats!

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1514
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/13/2020 9:56:17 PM   
apbarog

You're right BBfanboy. I forgot that Miri starts out with so much damage. Hits were achieved there, just not as many as I had hoped for.

4 Sep 43

Dutch sub KIX hit AO Naruto with two torpedoes near Tawi Tawi. The ship was not loaded but audio says that it sank immediately after combat.

Enemy fighters and bombers went after Hengyang. Just another day in China.

Lots of heavies hit the oil at Tarakan. The combat report implies that possibly half of the 90 oil there was destroyed. But the mouse-over during the turn showed absolutely none of the oil hit. It was a poor D/L though. OPilot did move 40 fighters to Miri after it was hit yesterday.

Slow US battleships will hit Kendari again, and the troops will attack. The base may fall with this attack.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1515
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/15/2020 12:38:36 AM   
apbarog

5 Sep 43

Dutch sub O24 hit tiny yard oiler J-3852 with a torpedo near Jolo. Audio says that the ship sank. The Dutch subs are being reassigned to Soerabaja as their patrols come to an end. Several US subs fired on targets but missed.

The slow US battleships moved to Kendari and bombarded during the daylight, and stayed. Their orders were to stay, but did I really mess up their orders again? I thought I'd double-checked orders, but I can't rule out that I missed a click again. Or something fishy is going on. Regardless, it was a good bombardment, with 683 casualties and lots of devices destroyed. The troops attacked and did well, but not quite good enough to take the base. Allied troops now need to wait a day or two for resupply. Then the base will fall.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 28332 troops, 478 guns, 609 vehicles, Assault Value = 868

Defending force 16872 troops, 163 guns, 104 vehicles, Assault Value = 123

Allied adjusted assault: 511

Japanese adjusted defense: 161

Allied assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 2)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2142 casualties reported
Squads: 69 destroyed, 52 disabled
Non Combat: 24 destroyed, 82 disabled
Engineers: 6 destroyed, 6 disabled
Guns lost 19 (11 destroyed, 8 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Allied ground losses:
238 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 26 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 6 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 7 (1 destroyed, 6 disabled)
Vehicles lost 19 (4 destroyed, 15 disabled)

Assaulting units:
193rd Tank Battalion
41st Infantry Division
754th Tank Battalion
4th Marine Division
3rd NZ Armoured Sqn
XIV US Corps

Defending units:
17th Garrison Unit
24th Infantry Regiment
4th Raiding Regiment
23rd Special Base Force
47th JNAF AF Unit
48th Field AA Battalion
39th JNAF AF Unit
2nd Mortar Battalion
22nd JNAF AF Unit
56th Const Co
14th Army
3rd Fleet
5th Air Division
11th JAAF AF Bn

At Soerakarta, an inland Allied dot base on Java, the enemy infantry division moved in, joining another here. Another US division arrived. Here's what is here now.

Ground combat at Soerakarta (53,103)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 663 troops, 57 guns, 19 vehicles, Assault Value = 1177

Defending force 27727 troops, 248 guns, 78 vehicles, Assault Value = 790

Assaulting units:
37th Infantry Division
40th Infantry Division
Americal Infantry Division
640th Tank Destroyer Battalion
96th Coast AA Regiment
226th Field Artillery Battalion
17th Base Maint Engineer Battalion
2nd RAA Jungle Field Artillery Regiment
1/543rd Boat&Shore Engineer Battalion
144th RNZA Bty

Defending units:
12th Division
57th Division

The enemy can now retreat out of the hex. There's a chance that they could still be cut off.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1516
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/15/2020 12:51:23 AM   
RangerJoe

If you want to sacrifice an airborne unit on Djokjakarta that might stop the Japanese movement.

― Julia Child

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1517
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/16/2020 3:52:32 PM   
apbarog

6 Sep 43

Sub Snook has been patrolling along the Chinese coast, in the dangerous waters near Formosa. E Oki found Snook. Oki was alone, but took out Snook with 3 depth charges, forcing the sub to surface, where it was quickly finished off. It was noted that Oki has anti-sub mortars also. Snook had a modest career. In April '43, Snook hit a tanker with a dud. Then, 3 days later, hit another tanker with 2 duds. In August, Snook hit AMC Bankok Maru with a torpedo near Cotabato. On August 31, Snook got torpedo hits on two cargo ships: xAK Anyo Maru and xAK Brisbane Maru. These attacks were near Amoy, not far from where Snook was sunk.

Snook becomes just the third US fleet boat lost, joining Sargo and Gato. Allied losses include 2 S-boats, one British sub and 3 Dutch subs. By comparison, the enemy has lost 40 subs and 10 midget subs. I work hard at using my subs effectively, taking added risks occasionally, and saving the damaged ones. Patrol routes are altered frequently when my subs are sighted. But sometimes losses will occur.

Elsewhere, Tambor was hit by a depth charge near Iloilo. A couple of enemy destroyers and a minelayer were spotted. Four torpedoes missed CM Katsuriki.

On Java, one enemy division did move out of Soerakarta. The other remaining enemy division will now be attacked by 3 US divisions plus support.

Units at Kendari are now supplied and will attack, and will probably take the base.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1518
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/17/2020 7:30:03 PM   
apbarog

7 Sep 43

Yesterday was a bad day for the Silent Service, with Snook being sunk near the Chinese coast. Today was a new day, and submarine Scamp had what may be the best day for a sub to date. Scamp made three separate attacks off the coast of Vietnam. In the first, it got a torpedo hit on PB Naruto Maru #3. Audio says that it sunk. It was escorting xAK Thames Maru, which now appeared to be without escort. Scamp got two torpedo hits on the cargo ship. Audio again says that the ship sank, and it was carrying at least guns and vehicles. Not done yet, Scamp engaged another task force, hitting medium tanker Nihon Maru with two torpedoes. The tanker was carrying oil and burned. Audio again says that the ship sank. Three ships hit in a day, and all believed to be sunk! Quite a day. Checking the history for Scamp, it has had a quiet career, except for today and for 2 Jun 43, when Scamp hit carrier Unryu with a torpedo near Namlea.

Allied units attacked at Soerakarta and will attack again.

Ground combat at Soerakarta (53,103)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 37410 troops, 670 guns, 464 vehicles, Assault Value = 1273

Defending force 14291 troops, 124 guns, 34 vehicles, Assault Value = 399

Allied adjusted assault: 823

Japanese adjusted defense: 211

Allied assault odds: 3 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
741 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 30 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Guns lost 8 (2 destroyed, 6 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
297 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 16 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 5 (1 destroyed, 4 disabled)

Assaulting units:
37th Infantry Division
2/6th Armoured Regiment
640th Tank Destroyer Battalion
40th Infantry Division
Americal Infantry Division
2/9th Armoured Regiment
2nd RAA Jungle Field Artillery Regiment
17th Base Maint Engineer Battalion
96th Coast AA Regiment
1/543rd Boat&Shore Engineer Battalion
226th Field Artillery Battalion
144th RNZA Bty

Defending units:
57th Division

And Kendari was captured.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 28825 troops, 481 guns, 685 vehicles, Assault Value = 871

Defending force 15267 troops, 149 guns, 104 vehicles, Assault Value = 86

Allied adjusted assault: 978

Japanese adjusted defense: 151

Allied assault odds: 6 to 1 (fort level 1)

Allied forces CAPTURE Kendari !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1255 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 26 disabled
Non Combat: 86 destroyed, 82 disabled
Engineers: 34 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 25 (23 destroyed, 2 disabled)
Vehicles lost 76 (76 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 2

Allied ground losses:
365 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 16 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled
Engineers: 23 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
41st Infantry Division
193rd Tank Battalion
4th Marine Division
754th Tank Battalion
3rd NZ Armoured Sqn
XIV US Corps

Defending units:
17th Garrison Unit
24th Infantry Regiment
48th Field AA Battalion
4th Raiding Regiment
39th JNAF AF Unit
23rd Special Base Force
14th Army
22nd JNAF AF Unit
2nd Mortar Battalion
5th Air Division
3rd Fleet
47th JNAF AF Unit
11th JAAF AF Bn

A better recon of recently bombed Tarakan showed 40 oil damaged out of the 90 there. The loss of CVE Breton was admitted today, a loss from the carrier battle near Balikpapan in August. At least OPilot now knows that he got one escort carrier. That is all he got though, with others being repaired or en route to being repaired. The enemy lost more than several big carriers.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1519
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/17/2020 8:07:23 PM   
RangerJoe

I think that the crew of the Scamp deserve some I & I when this patrol is done.

― Julia Child

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1520
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/19/2020 1:09:30 AM   
apbarog

8 Sep 43

The enemy fighters at Batavia finally join combat. 37 Tojos swept over the 637th Tank Destroyer Battalion on the north Java coast. 10 Corsairs were on LRCAP. The Tojos had their way, downing 8 F4Us and losing just one Tojo. The Tojos cleared the way for 27 Lilys and 30 Oscars. The Lilys caused light damage to the tank unit. Allied fighters swept the same hex, finding no enemy fighters, and US bombers hit the enemy unit there, the 58th Infantry Regiment. 395 Japanese casualties from a big Liberator strike. But it wasn't enough.

Ground combat at 51,101 (near Tjilatjap)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 3479 troops, 26 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 106

Defending force 474 troops, 3 guns, 82 vehicles, Assault Value = 45

Japanese adjusted assault: 18

Allied adjusted defense: 8

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(-), fatigue(-)
Attacker: leaders(+), leaders(-), disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
49 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
34 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 5 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 32 (12 destroyed, 20 disabled)
Units retreated 1

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
58th Infantry Regiment

Defending units:
637th Tank Destroyer Battalion

At Soerakarta, the Allied attack comes off at 5 to 1 and causes twice as many Japanese casualties as Allied. The enemy division is now cut off due to the successful attack at Djokjakarta.

Ground combat at Djokjakarta (52,103)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 24760 troops, 376 guns, 429 vehicles, Assault Value = 801

Defending force 13210 troops, 143 guns, 115 vehicles, Assault Value = 382

Allied adjusted assault: 447

Japanese adjusted defense: 25

Allied assault odds: 17 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied forces CAPTURE Djokjakarta !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), op mode(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-)
experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
3688 casualties reported
Squads: 64 destroyed, 20 disabled
Non Combat: 170 destroyed, 19 disabled
Engineers: 25 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 52 (52 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 103 (103 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 4

Allied ground losses:
132 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 21 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
18th Cmbt Engineer Regiment
33rd Infantry Division
1st (Spec) Cavalry Division
762nd Tank Battalion
198th Field Artillery Battalion
145th Field Artillery Battalion

Defending units:
12th Division
1st Tank Regiment
4th Tank Regiment
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion

And paras dropped on Cheribon.

Ground combat at Cheribon (51,100)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 498 troops, 8 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 19

Defending force 42 troops, 0 guns, 19 vehicles, Assault Value = 3

Allied adjusted assault: 8

Japanese adjusted defense: 1

Allied assault odds: 8 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied forces CAPTURE Cheribon !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
Vehicles lost 17 (17 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Assaulting units:
1st Aus Para Bn /1

Defending units:
1st Ind.Tank Co

Enemy subs are now prowling northwest of Darwin, but they are too late. The big carriers have been at Port Hedland, waiting for the Sumatra operation.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1521
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/19/2020 3:00:32 AM   
RangerJoe

That Japanese division should not be able to move out, it should be trapped and die there.

― Julia Child

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1522
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/19/2020 3:33:59 AM   
apbarog

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

That Japanese division should not be able to move out, it should be trapped and die there.

You may be right RangerJoe. But I did see that the enemy still controlled the hexside to go to the west. We'll find out soon enough. That division is doomed either way.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1523
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/19/2020 5:12:17 AM   
RangerJoe

But you have undisputed control of the hex that it is trying to move to. That should prevent the movement. When it has enough movement points and you still control the other hex, its movement should fail.

― Julia Child

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1524
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/19/2020 2:35:11 PM   
apbarog

quote:

But you have undisputed control of the hex that it is trying to move to. That should prevent the movement. When it has enough movement points and you still control the other hex, its movement should fail.

I do control the destination hex, but I see red for the hex side for movement to the hex.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by apbarog -- 2/19/2020 3:13:48 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1525
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/19/2020 9:49:00 PM   
RangerJoe

That red is for the hex that the Japanese unit is in. You control the other hex and have a unit there. The Japanese should not be able to move to the other hex.

― Julia Child

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1526
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/19/2020 10:01:08 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

That red is for the hex that the Japanese unit is in. You control the other hex and have a unit there. The Japanese should not be able to move to the other hex.

It does not work this way, there is no such thing as hex control. Only hex sides control (oh, and enemy presence in the hex checking for for the retreat possibility).
Movement will happen. It is just that there is nowhere to go after.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1527
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/19/2020 10:41:21 PM   
RangerJoe

When I stated control the hex, I meant that you control all of the hexsides of that hex.

― Julia Child

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 1528
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/19/2020 11:09:54 PM   
apbarog

For the hex of Djokjakarta, RangerJoe is correct. The Allies have control of all of the hexsides for units trying to leave Djokjakarta. (The inner hexsides around the Djokjakarta hex). But at adjacent Soerakarta, there's a red hexside for any units leaving Soerakarta and moving to Djokjakarta. Therefore, the Japanese unit can move from Soerakarta to Djokjakarta.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1529
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 2/20/2020 7:06:31 PM   
apbarog

9 Sep 43

YMS-242 started to clear the mines at Kendari. Destroyers Worden and Hull were assigned to ASW duties between Koepang and Kendari. They had been clearing the way for the slow battleships. They found RO-102 on the approach to Kendari, and hit the sub with 3 depth charges. "Debris floats to surface in area of attack!", and audio says that the sub did sink. This sub is believed to be the one that got a torpedo hit on one of the slow US battleships about a week ago.

Two squadrons of P-38Hs swept Batavia, and it didn't go well. 42 Tojos and 36 Oscars were on CAP. The Lightnings were flying from Soerabaja, at extended range. Total losses were 17 Lightnings, and 9 Oscars and 4 Tojos for the enemy.

A couple of enemy destroyers appeared at Vella Lavella in the Solomons. This is adjacent to the US base at Munda. 10 Hudsons flew low level attacks against the destroyers in both the morning and the afternoon, but got no hits bombing from 1000 feet. There was severe storms. The Solomons have been quiet for many months, and the SBDs that I'd had here were pulled out long ago. Two SBD squadrons are moved to Munda with some P-40s for escort. I expect the destroyers to be gone though. They were probably picking up a ground unit at Vella Lavella, which is just a dot base.

Heavy bombers hit Balikpapan, targeting the port, airfield and ground units. An ACM was sunk and moderate damage was done to the facilities. There was no CAP. I could bomb all the oil there, but I'd rather just capture it. This invasion is just a couple of weeks away.

Another Allied attack at Soerakarta causes 551 enemy casualties. If the enemy 57th Division doesn't move west to Djokjakarta today, it will be stuck at Soerakarta. A US armor unit is about to close the hex side by moving from Djokjakarta to Soerakarta.

Cleanup continues at Kendari. 1155 enemy casualties. Allied troops will rest a day, except for the artillery, which will continue bombarding.

The rest of the 1st Australian Para Battalion dropped on Cheribon, reinforcing the paras already there. The shock attack kicked the enemy's 1st Ind. Tank Co out of the hex.

Task forces are now being planned at Colombo and Trincomlee. The invasion of Sumatra will come from here.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1530
Page:   <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J) Page: <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI