Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/25/2018 10:55:05 PM   
thewood1

If you use my name again on this forum I will work as hard as I can to have you banned. It is uncalled for and not needed.

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 31
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/25/2018 10:59:04 PM   
thewood1

In fact, I think using my full name is a blatant attempt to encourage harassment outside the forum and will make sure that message is brought Matrix loud and clear.

I'll give you 24 hours to remove any mention of my name or I'll take other re-mediating action.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 32
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/25/2018 11:00:16 PM   
thewood1

quote:

ORIGINAL: DWReese

NSS......As I requested before, please DO NOT RESPOND TO ME ABOUT ANYTHING. I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING FROM YOU.

Talk to anyone else that you want, but don't respond to me, or about me. Pretend that I don't exist and we will be fine. Period!

Doug

I am quoting this part so it doesn't suddenly get edited for posterity's sake.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 33
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/25/2018 11:00:46 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

In fact, I think using my full name is a blatant attempt to encourage harassment outside the forum and will make sure that message is brought Matrix loud and clear.

I'll give you 24 hours to remove any mention of my name or I'll take other re-mediating action.

You may have a point there, I'm honestly not sure, since you name is on your profile, but you may have a point. I've been sticking to screennames as proper etiquette.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 34
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/25/2018 11:00:51 PM   
DWReese

Do you want me to list your address?

You caused this, pal. I told you to leave me alone, and stop talking about me, or to me, and you you refused. So,

Apparently, you don't like it when the bully (you) gets bullied.....Hahaha

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 4/26/2018 4:36:37 AM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 35
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/25/2018 11:01:51 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

See Reese, it is exactly that kind of behavior that destroys your argument and just makes you look bad.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 36
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/25/2018 11:02:33 PM   
DWReese

Your full name is listed in your profile, dude.

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 4/26/2018 4:37:07 AM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 37
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/25/2018 11:04:04 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Responding like that just demonstrates immaturity Reese.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 38
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/25/2018 11:25:59 PM   
thewood1

But not in the open forum. And the way it is posted is obviously an attempted to spread my name. So let's see where we go with it tomorrow.

Post #: 39
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/25/2018 11:51:16 PM   
DWReese

After 30 years in law enforcement, I AM now an attorney, so I already know that if your name is listed (as it is) then it's not protected, and it is free to use by any member. So, you're going lose legally on that front.

When you bully people, and they ask you to stop and you don't (as was with me), then it is YOU who will suffer the consequences.

Don't worry about me erasing anything. I have absolutely EACH AND EVERY ONE of your messages from the very beginning (over two years worth) all saved, so I a quite prepared to have my day with you.

you picked the wrong guy to bully and it's going to comeback on you. The world doesn't care for bullies any more, especially those that hide behind their little key boards.

So, you in correct, we will see where this goes.

Doug

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 4/26/2018 4:38:13 AM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 40
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/25/2018 11:54:16 PM   
thewood1

Again, I want to point to the very beginning of this exchange. All I did was point out an option that should be considered when looking at the issue. There is no rule or mechanism in place for me not to address someone posting mistaken information. I mean how immature do you have to be to start screaming someone's name a bunch of times to get some kind of attention. That is something my 5 year olf son would have done.

This is the ultimate snowflake meltdown I have seen on this forum...and I am still not sure why.

I will also point out to people too dense or ignorant to understand how the web works...

You can have a name in your profile. I do it because I don't like people being anonymous. But if someone starts posting it on an open forum multiple times, google and other bots start scraping your name and it starts showing up at the top of google searches. Its why in most forums, there are explicit rules about posting real full names in the open. I have a fairly public profile in my job and when people at work google me, there is a good chance this is what starts showing up. SO this has a potential effect on my work, my livelihood, and my career.

I put my name in my profile so people can contact me as needed and it has worked. I have connected with multiple people on the forum on LinkedIn. Now, because of an uneducated and ignorant individual, that trust in the forum has been breached, irrevocably. I have nothing I post I am ashamed of in any way, but I am very careful that my gaming doesn't cross over into my work profile. I have always placed my faith in the forumites here that regardless of what happens here, they would go to the extreme of bring my name into the public forum.

If anyone has an issue with that philosophy, lets all put our names out there and see what happens.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 41
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/26/2018 12:01:20 AM   
RedBunny

hmm...

Yeah, the 'Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations' forum. Yep, at Matrix.

Thought I wandered into the My Little Pony forums again.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 42
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/26/2018 12:05:51 AM   
thewood1

I am not really sure how to address someone so cavalierly breaching a common forum protocol. Someone who has a complete lack of understanding of how to communicate that they can't suppress some self-induced rage. This comes down to a couple things...

1) Someone came up with their own rule on how they wanted to be addressed
2) Doesn't seem to recognize they have a tool that will actually do what they want
3) Pulls a nutty in a very weird and creepy manner

I am still at a loss as to what would send someone over the edge like that first post.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 43
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/26/2018 12:08:04 AM   
thewood1

btw, its not "bully" that concerns me, its "crazy" that I am seeing come around the corner.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 44
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/26/2018 12:13:03 AM   
ultradave

Personally I like it when there are preset missions. While I design and test nuclear submarines for a living, that does not include any operational experience. ("There are no tactical situations at the pier" was our mantra in Nuclear Test). My military background is as an Airborne Field Artillery officer.

So I'm a learner when it comes to operating a Navy task force or a large air strike/operation. The preset missions that I see help me learn. I frequently change them, sometimes delete them and make my own.

While I'm a learner I do now have a fair amount of experience so I'm more confident with doing everything myself.

It's a snap to open the scenario, open the Mission Editor and then do whatever you want there - modify/delete/leave as is.

I don't see the point of telling designers what to do. They spend a lot of time working hard to make good scenarios as they see fit.

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 45
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/26/2018 12:25:16 AM   
Rory Noonan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ultradave

Personally I like it when there are preset missions. While I design and test nuclear submarines for a living, that does not include any operational experience. ("There are no tactical situations at the pier" was our mantra in Nuclear Test). My military background is as an Airborne Field Artillery officer.

So I'm a learner when it comes to operating a Navy task force or a large air strike/operation. The preset missions that I see help me learn. I frequently change them, sometimes delete them and make my own.

While I'm a learner I do now have a fair amount of experience so I'm more confident with doing everything myself.

It's a snap to open the scenario, open the Mission Editor and then do whatever you want there - modify/delete/leave as is.

I don't see the point of telling designers what to do. They spend a lot of time working hard to make good scenarios as they see fit.

Yeah particularly with large scenarios I like having some of the basics covered for me already (AEW for example). If I don't like it, I can move it or delete it easily.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 46
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/26/2018 12:26:11 AM   
thewood1

"I don't see the point of telling designers what to do. They spend a lot of time working hard to make good scenarios as they see fit."

I just want to clarify this statement that I agree with. 1:1 feedback is always good. But general "open letters" complaining about scenarios and how they are built is counterproductive in many ways. In the worst way, it discourages people designing scenarios. A bad scenario is always better than no scenario.

Along with that, if the complaint is completely ungrounded in an understanding of the game or the design process, its even worse.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 47
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/26/2018 12:50:52 AM   
ultradave

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

I just want to clarify this statement that I agree with. 1:1 feedback is always good. But general "open letters" complaining about scenarios and how they are built is counterproductive in many ways. In the worst way, it discourages people designing scenarios. A bad scenario is always better than no scenario.

Oh, yeah. Definitely. Wasn't my intent to include constructive feedback. That's a whole different thing and scenario authors post soliciting comments to test and improve their scenarios. I don't count that telling them what do do. Or I didn't intend to if I wasn't clear enough.

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 48
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/26/2018 2:13:31 AM   
HalfLifeExpert

quote:

ORIGINAL: apache85

quote:

ORIGINAL: ultradave

Yeah particularly with large scenarios I like having some of the basics covered for me already (AEW for example). If I don't like it, I can move it or delete it easily.

Yes indeed, it is very helpful to have such basic operations already taken care of.

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 49
RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers - 4/26/2018 5:27:01 AM   
Dimitris

thewood1: Please clear out your inbox, I am getting "Undeliverable" message when trying to send a PM. Thanks.

Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: An Open Letter To Scenario Designers Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI