Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: May 28, 1942

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: May 28, 1942 Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: May 28, 1942 - 11/3/2018 5:05:40 PM   
Anachro

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Allied tanks are generally superior and in 1942 the IJA has few anti-tank (rapid-fire) guns and very poor anti-hard numbers in their infantry formations. But any tank unit can be overwhelmed by large numbers of troops, so consolidate your good infantry with the tanks support and then smash his formations. Alternately, if you think you cannot take his infantry masses, use your tanks to cut off units like those retreating on the west side of that map. Mobility is your friend as long as you don't let him surround you.

Yes, I hope to use them soon enough. For now, the British ones have been hobbled by the fact that they need to gain experience and upgrade their TOE's from the horrible makeshift AFVs. That's changing soon.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 481
May 29, 1942 - 11/3/2018 9:44:58 PM   
Anachro

May 29, 1942

Batavia should fall very soon and then a whole bunch of Japanese AV will be freed up, either to reinforce India or take Northern Australia. I suspect both. He doesn't need 1.7k AV for northern Australia.

quote:

Ground combat at Batavia (49,98)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 62575 troops, 695 guns, 302 vehicles, Assault Value = 1762

Defending force 36086 troops, 349 guns, 82 vehicles, Assault Value = 522

Japanese adjusted assault: 642

Allied adjusted defense: 491

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), disruption(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
3529 casualties reported
Squads: 9 destroyed, 270 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 28 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 38 disabled

Allied ground losses:
3212 casualties reported
Squads: 23 destroyed, 190 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 151 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 2 disabled
Guns lost 49 (10 destroyed, 39 disabled)
Vehicles lost 5 (2 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Assaulting units:
48th Division
60th Division
16th Division
19th Ind Com Engineer Regiment
56th Division
90th Division
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
14th Army
15th Army
15th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
1st Medium Field Artillery Regiment
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
16th Army
17th Medium Field Artillery Regiment

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 482
May 30, 1942 - 11/4/2018 2:49:06 PM   
Anachro

May 30, 1942

India

John continues to push around my concentrations north of Calcutta and gives every indication that he is trying for encirclement, but his units he is using to "cut off" forces are rather weak and can be easily pushed back and/or destroyed. A US division is moving on a tank regiment to attack it between Jamshedpur and Ranchi. The British division west of Jamshedpur is moving north to reduce exposure and reinforce other areas. To the north east of Calcutta, John is attempting encirclement with forces that at the vanguard at least are quite feeble and I will use my AFV forces with some infantry to push this back. The biggest issue right now is supply. For some reason nothing is moving much to Ranchi.

North at Raipur. John has pulled back 3 tank regiments which I will halfheartedly chase with my British Division up there. Meanwhile, Indian Divisions/Brigades and a British AT unit sit in Raipur. With 3 forts and no sign of excessive Japanese force, I don't see much danger here. Once the Japanese tanks move away, the British division will move back.

An additional US Regiment, AT unit, etc. are 12-14 days away. A US division is 14 days away. These will either arrive at Bombay or Karachi. A US Towed TD battalion is at Karachi and will move down to Patna.

NoPac

I weird thing happened today and DMS ships moving back to Pearl from NoPac in preparation for future operations randomly run into a random Japanese xAK in the middle of the Pacific halfway between Pearl and the Aleutians. By itself, it is weird and I suspect John is utilizing a very long-range line of picket ships to watch for any sign of my carriers which he hasn't seen for some time. Where they are is a mystery.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 483
RE: May 30, 1942 - 11/4/2018 3:09:49 PM   
Anachro

DD Yugumo also took a hit clearing mines at Batavia. Hopefully, it sinks.

quote:

TF 16 encounters mine field at Batavia (49,98)

Japanese Ships
DD Uranami
DD Fubuki
DD Yugumo, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

3 mines cleared

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 16 encounters mine field at Batavia (49,98)

Japanese Ships
DD Hatsuyuki
DD Fubuki
DD Akatsuki
DD Kasumi
DD Akigumo
DD Yugumo, on fire, heavy damage

8 mines cleared

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 484
May 31, 1942 - 11/5/2018 1:31:07 PM   
Anachro

May 31, 1942

John seems to like using his tanks out in exposed positions away from his higher AV infantry divisions. I suspect this is for two reasons: 1) he is aggressive and 2)heretofore his experience in the game has mostly been me retreating in the face of his units simply moving, regardless of their actual strength. However, what works early on might not work now and I am sending troops in to quickly try and kill his tank units before moving away from his stronger infantry divisions and brigades to their south.

North of Jamshedpur, a US division is moving on an immobile unit of tanks and hopefully can either destroy or expel them with a number destroyed. Northeast of Asanol, an exposed tank regiment is moving ahead of the slower brigades behind it and will run into a British Armored Brigade with a large number of Stuart tanks with 99 morale and 60 experience, as well as smaller far lesser experience AFV units (hoping to build some exp for them).

Finally, I am contemplating moving north again with my units to farther back defensive lines. John is starting to recon Benares, etc. and I suspect he will attempt a number of para landings in bases north of my troops. These bases are being send other smaller AV units to protect from para landings. Any good ideas for good northern defensive lines from past India invasions?

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 485
RE: May 31, 1942 - 11/5/2018 1:39:37 PM   
Anachro

Batavia will fall any day now and I suspect an immediate invasion of Northern Australia. I have been reinforcing and building forts at cities along the eastern coasts, as well as Perth, but other than Port Hedland the north remains ungarrisoned for the most part. John is moving from Broome, but I suspect with the 5 or so divisions he seems to have at Batavia he will move on all the cities in the north, even Port Hedland. I also wouldn't put it past him to try for Perth and Carnarvon as a decent amount of supplied/fuel is arrive in Australia through Capetown -> Perth.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 11/5/2018 1:40:05 PM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 486
June 2, 1942 - 11/6/2018 3:00:10 PM   
Anachro

June 2, 1942

Batavia falls today and the 1600AV there and 5 divisions can be reasonable expected to soon move on Northern Australia or perhaps even the western coast. We'll see. I am moving a lot of AV to Perth, etc. to reinforce the area and forts have been building at Perth for a bit. Tellingly, my destroyers moving north to scout out his landings in Northern Australia run into like 5-6 subs (as seen in the replay) patrolling in high concentration around the seas north-west of Carnarvon. I suspect a lot of the heavy battleship fleets most recently bombarding my troops at Batavia will go a-roving to find my surface combatants around Australia.

My carriers are moving.

quote:

Ground combat at Batavia (49,98)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 61636 troops, 695 guns, 302 vehicles, Assault Value = 1669

Defending force 31983 troops, 338 guns, 79 vehicles, Assault Value = 327

Japanese adjusted assault: 970

Allied adjusted defense: 189

Japanese assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Batavia !!!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Do-24K-1: 6 destroyed
T.IVa: 1 destroyed

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
1376 casualties reported
Squads: 10 destroyed, 124 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 13 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 19 disabled

Allied ground losses:
34828 casualties reported
Squads: 747 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1381 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 15 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 479 (479 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 91 (91 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 41

Assaulting units:
56th Division
60th Division
19th Ind Com Engineer Regiment
48th Division
16th Division
90th Division
16th Army
15th Army
1st Medium Field Artillery Regiment
15th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
14th Army
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
17th Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
4th KNIL Regiment
6th KNIL Regiment
1st KNIL Regiment
III/IV Barisan Cdo
II Marechausse Cdo
IV Landstorm Cdo
Mobiele Battalion
2nd KNIL Regiment
Marinier Battalion
1st Cav Regiment
I/II Barisan Cdo
3rd Cav Sqdn
VLG-IV Sup Groep
HQ III KNIL Division
Tjilitjap Cdo
3e-VLG-V Sup Afd
VLG-II Sup Groep
Soerabaja KM Base Force
I Marechausse Cdo
NI-MLD
ABDA
Batavia KM Base Force
II Landstorm Cdo
VLG-III Sup Groep
Lijfwacht Cav Sqdn
Groep Zud
A-I-Ld AA Battalion
2e-VLG-V Sup Afd
VI Landstorm Cdo
HQ II KNIL Division
224 Group RAF
KNI Leger
A-II-Ld AA Battalion
ML-KNIL
HQ I KNIL Division
Roodenburg Cdo
KNI Zeemacht
A-III-Ld AA Battalion
4th Cav Sqdn
Batavia Defenses
VkA-1 Sup Afd

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 487
RE: June 2, 1942 - 11/6/2018 4:59:45 PM   
Anachro

Digging into sigint a little bit:

quote:

SIG INT REPORT FOR Jun 02, 42
10/17th Army is loaded on a Ehime Cargo class xAK moving to Buna.
5/17th Army is planning for an attack on Port Moresby.

Expected, but should indicate a determination on John's part to cutoff northern Australia. I've already evacuated 90% of the AV at PM by air, as John has certainly been abusing the mechanic of keeping unused airfields bombed out at a 100 to reduce supply. I expect this happens soon enough. Furthermore, I am moving troops out of Darwin down south.

From yesterday's report:

quote:

Heavy Volume of Radio transmissions detected at Tokyo (114,60).

John did have carriers recently operating up near the Aleutians and he gets an upgrade for some of his carriers on 6/42. Where will he send them back to upgrade at, I wonder?

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 488
June 3, 1942 - 11/7/2018 3:30:10 PM   
Anachro

June 3, 1942

The battle in India continues. The US division arrives and finds itself alone against ~80 Japanese tanks. The division will proceed to shock and attempt to destroy as many of these as possible. Meanwhile, John moves across the river between Asanol and Raichi and runs into the 7th Aussie division, which had been moving. Luckily, we don't suffer much from our op mode malus and the Japanese troops actually come off worse. South of Patna, Japanese tanks take damage from Allied bombers, don't appear to be moving, but I am not yet attacking due to worries about the existing experience and morale of Allied troops in the hex. I will attack one additional AFV reinforcements arrive from the west and southwest.

Finally, the Burma division seems to be slowly making its way north from threatening Japanese encirclement. We'll see if it makes it.

quote:

Ground combat at 52,33 (near Asansol)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 12410 troops, 102 guns, 4 vehicles, Assault Value = 392

Defending force 16275 troops, 292 guns, 375 vehicles, Assault Value = 522

Japanese adjusted assault: 398

Allied adjusted defense: 507

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), op mode(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+)

Japanese ground losses:
1346 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 93 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 16 disabled

Allied ground losses:
361 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 23 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Assaulting units:
21st Division

Defending units:
138th(Sep) Infantry Regiment
7th Australian Division
75th IAC Regiment

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 489
RE: June 3, 1942 - 11/7/2018 3:30:52 PM   
Anachro

In other news, Operations Big Hat and Swindle are in the late planning phases. Another US division has left Capetown and is headed on very fast transports to India. Tank destroyer units, an additional Infantry regiment are also arriving.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 11/7/2018 3:32:16 PM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 490
RE: June 3, 1942 - 11/8/2018 12:22:09 AM   
BBfanboy

You don't have very good anti-hard values yet for an Infantry Division, so I suggest a deliberate attack (using cover and maneuver to close on the tanks rather than an frontal charge shock attack. You will lose less troops and find out if the ID can destroy enough vehicles to make the assaults worthwhile. If you have A/T guns or better still, TDs, the shock attack might be feasible.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 491
June 4, 1942 - 11/8/2018 2:58:57 AM   
Anachro

@BBfanboy You spoke to soon as I sent the turn back to John this morning! Alas, you were probably right and the amount of tanks destroyed probably wasn't worth it. You can find the results below.

June 4, 1942

India
The US 40th ID shocks the 11th Tank regiment out of the hex north of Jamshedpur and back across the river to the south, taking a small amount of casualties and disablements. Probably should have just done a deliberate attack, especially considering their experience only went up one point! Oh well. It's nice to destroy some Japanese tanks and hopefully their experience suffers.

Meanwhile, Japanese troops push into Jamshedpur, with 3 units currently showing in the hex. 2 of these units I know are a division and an artillery unit, but I know John will bring more. What I suspect he will try to do is simply bomb the supply away by bringing my airfields up to 100 and keep them there, as he bombed Asanol to decent effect today to deny me use of the airfields there to give his bombers greater free reign. Tank regiments are moving down from the northwest to support his units, perhaps even try some encirclements. John will probably try to avoid outright attacks as that seems to be his modus operandi - simply bomb and bring down supply and attack only a while after that fact! If he attacks now, he'll find ~1100 AV in Jamshedpur with 4 forts in a Jungle hex. Not the best AV, but servicable in a defensive position.

While this is going on, the Japanese division that crossed the river to the hex between Asanol and Raichi yesterday will be bombarded while I bring the 40th US ID and the 18th British ID there to try and push it back.

South of Patna, John moved his tank regiment back to what is either a regiment or brigade unit, so I will gather my armored units up there plus some infantry and move down to attack it. My armored units should be at an advantage in the clear hexes south of Patna. A tank destroyer unit just arrived at Patna and will join this push down to attrite his forces.

The 41st US Infantry Division is 17 days from arriving from offmap towards Bombay. The 147th (Sep) Infantry Regiment is 6 days from arriving from offmap, along with the Rifles of Canada Battalion (go Canadians!), a Coastal AA Regiment, and the 134th Field Artillery Battalion.

Oh, and these babies started their conversions today. 2 of them will finish in 180 days.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 11/8/2018 3:03:11 AM >

"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 492
RE: June 4, 1942 - 11/8/2018 3:07:56 AM   
Anachro

Aleutians

I haven't yet been able to dislodge John from Umnak island, its like a long siege battle where he can't do much, but my troops utterly fail at being able to dislodge him. Nonetheless, they are pretty well-isolated and following advice from the forum I have setup Kodiak into a decent replenishment base that can re-arm battleships, cruisers, destroyers and hit John many times while his carriers are away. This has paused recently as a powerful carrier force made its presence known for a bit and I was forced to pull my ships back.

quote:

Ground combat at Umnak Island (169,51)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 10478 troops, 138 guns, 48 vehicles, Assault Value = 466

Defending force 12550 troops, 125 guns, 23 vehicles, Assault Value = 221

Japanese ground losses:
65 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
8 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
2nd Marine Raider Battalion
37th (Sep) Infantry Regiment
3rd Marine Raider Battalion
1st/102nd Infantry Bn /1
201st(Sep) Infantry Regiment
2/153rd Infantry Battalion
1/153rd Infantry Battalion
1st/298th Infantry Battalion
3/153rd Infantry Bn /5
47th Construction Regiment
1st Marine Air Wing
141st USN Stn Base Force
3/250th Coastal Artillery Battalion
Wake (Det.) Defense Battalion
116th Base Group

Defending units:
Guards Mixed Brigade
7th Division

Kodiak is my main sub base, AKE base, etc and is a safe distance back. Umnak is at 4(5) in airfields with three fighter wings covering, but I have not yet been able to adequately supply it, relying on APD runs for the last few months. This changes soon with additional troops and supplies coming in. I want to finish off his forces here.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 11/8/2018 3:09:02 AM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 493
RE: June 4, 1942 - 11/8/2018 2:39:19 PM   
Anachro

Soon these babies will be done, adding needed reinforcements to Allied naval air power.

The CV Wasp arrives at Balbao in 6 days. With the addition of the 2 Charlotte-class light carriers and the Wasp, Allied total carrier strength (not including the Hermes) will be 7 US Fleet Carriers, 3 British Fleet Carriers, and 2 US Light carriers for a combined aircraft strength of ~727 aircraft. This isn't equal to what the Japanese can throw up if John combines his carriers, but it is a credible force that could do well in Ambush circumstances.

Going forward, I am re-organizing my navy to confirm to a structure: battleship squadrons/divisions, cruiser divisions, carrier divisions, etc. and I'll probably use this for reporting on ship movements, etc going forward. Doesn't really do much, but adds some color and fun for me.I'll write this up later.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 494
RE: June 4, 1942 - 11/8/2018 2:40:45 PM   
Anachro

I am considering making CVLs fighter-only units primarily charged with task force CAP defense and they will primarily operate with fleet carriers. What say you?

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 495
RE: June 4, 1942 - 11/8/2018 3:05:58 PM   
BBfanboy

Why do CVLs Wellington and Melbourne have a % sign after their repair estimate? Unable to repair the Engineering damage of 6 without being in drydock?

As for the all-fighter CVL, my own preference is to "not put all your eggs in one basket". If it gets damaged or sunk you lose too much of a single airframe, and it is less flexible if you need to send a smaller carrier on a mission away from the CV force (like escorting a heavily damaged CV in waters that have subs and raiders where bombers will be useful for search and attack). For the flexibility I would use 18 Wildcats and 18 Avengers.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 496
RE: June 4, 1942 - 11/8/2018 3:12:57 PM   
Anachro

The % sign always appears in front of ships undergoing upgrade/refit. I'm pretty sure it's the # sign that means damage can't repair. If I remember correctly...

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 497
June 5-6, 1942 - 11/9/2018 11:02:56 AM   
Anachro

June 5-6, 1942

In the last two days, John has finally moved 2 divisions, artillery, and some AA into Jamshedpur. Additional units, perhaps some tanks seem to also be on their way. It's interesting to me that John would push on Jamshedpur instead of, say, Asanol. Whereas Asanol is a clear hex with less troops, Jamshedpur has a decent amount of AV, 4 forts, and is a Jungle hex. A Japanese push here coupled with these defensive advantages allow me to use lower quality troops to hold the hex while allowing my British, US, and Australia divisions and regiments mostly free maneuvering. To demonstrate this, the last two turns have seen the Japanese come off the worse in bombardment engagements at Jamshedpur.

Happily too, after manipulating supply elsewhere, supply finally seems to be flowing into these hexes. Ranchi got 10k in supply last turn and I expect some to eventually flow down to Jamshedpur. While this is going on, the 18th British and 40th US ID will move to the hex between Asanol and Raichi and attempt to remove the single Japanese ID there with the help of the Aussies and some armored units, after which they will look to move elsewhere in support or to threaten John at Jamshedpur.

While this is all going on, isolated Japanese tank units west of Raichi appear to be marching north. My fast armored units will find and destroy these.

quote:

Ground combat at Jamshedpur (51,34)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 27444 troops, 273 guns, 72 vehicles, Assault Value = 735

Defending force 37470 troops, 540 guns, 624 vehicles, Assault Value = 1061

Japanese ground losses:
219 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 9 disabled

Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Guns lost 11 (1 destroyed, 10 disabled)

Assaulting units:
55th Division
2nd Division
3rd Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
16th Australian Brigade
1st Patiala Lancers Regiment
20th Indian Division
53rd (Sep) Infantry Regiment
Rocky Mountain Rger Battalion
254th Armoured Brigade
159th Mot Infantry Regiment
87th Mountain Regiment
19th Indian Division
3rd NW Frontier Base Force
2/9th Fld RAA Regiment
20th Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
2/13th Fld RAA Regiment
222 Group Base Force

quote:

Ground combat at Jamshedpur (51,34)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 32605 troops, 516 guns, 565 vehicles, Assault Value = 1072

Defending force 30265 troops, 302 guns, 145 vehicles, Assault Value = 741

Japanese ground losses:
138 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 10 disabled

Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Assaulting units:
16th Australian Brigade
1st Patiala Lancers Regiment
254th Armoured Brigade
20th Indian Division
Rocky Mountain Rger Battalion
87th Mountain Regiment
53rd (Sep) Infantry Regiment
159th Mot Infantry Regiment
19th Indian Division
3rd NW Frontier Base Force
2/9th Fld RAA Regiment
2/13th Fld RAA Regiment
20th Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
222 Group Base Force

Defending units:
55th Division
2nd Division
3rd Medium Field Artillery Regiment
25th Army
31st Field AA Battalion

< Message edited by Anachro -- 11/9/2018 11:03:19 AM >

"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 498
RE: June 4, 1942 - 11/9/2018 2:24:53 PM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

Why do CVLs Wellington and Melbourne have a % sign after their repair estimate? Unable to repair the Engineering damage of 6 without being in drydock?

As for the all-fighter CVL, my own preference is to "not put all your eggs in one basket". If it gets damaged or sunk you lose too much of a single airframe, and it is less flexible if you need to send a smaller carrier on a mission away from the CV force (like escorting a heavily damaged CV in waters that have subs and raiders where bombers will be useful for search and attack). For the flexibility I would use 18 Wildcats and 18 Avengers.

Another question is - why does DD Clark show 9% when it's in shipyard and shows NO damage?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 499
RE: June 4, 1942 - 11/9/2018 2:35:54 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncivil Engineer

quote:

Another question is - why does DD Clark show 9% when it's in shipyard and shows NO damage?

That just means 9 days left in its upgrade/refit. Ships often have no damage during refit or all damage is repaired before the refit if over.

(in reply to Uncivil Engineer)
Post #: 500
RE: June 4, 1942 - 11/9/2018 5:30:08 PM   
ny59giants

Allied CV/CVLs - In '42, I would still strive for survivability more than strike heavy. So, I have most of the TBs (Avengers now) off training and replace them with Marine fighter groups. So, 36 USN and 18 Marine fighters should help out per American CVs. The next question would be 18 or 36 DBs? If your CV/CVLs role is to protect your TFs, then off come one of the DB groups and another 18 Marine fighters go on. Plan to position your Marine fighters somewhere close so you have this flexibility.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 501
June 7, 1942 - 11/10/2018 8:25:42 PM   
Anachro

June 7, 1942

Sigint for the last two days gives some significant bits of information. First, it reveals that the Japanese are reinforcing Adak Island with the 32nd Division, supposedly. We'll see. Secondly, as I suspected it would appear the Japanese are moving to reinforce their invasion of Northern Australia, with the 90th Division moving on Wyndham. I can't do anything to stop the northern invasion as my lack of nav search and his ability to appear suddenly with carriers or surface vessels makes things a bit hairy.

However, my carriers happen to be between Pearl and the Aleutians and will move towards Adak to see if they can intercept the transports carrying the 32nd Division. You can see this in the image below. Note, my carrier TF composition would normally be difference, but I had opted a turn previous to reconstruct my Carrier TF to send some escorts to bombard Umnak Island. Only after this happened did I read the sigint and realize I might be able to sink the transports carrying a Japanese division nearby.

We'll see what happens. Not much to report on India at the moment. I will hope for Jamshedpur to hold while my US and Brit division look for attrition opportunities elsewhere.

quote:

11/32nd Division is loaded on a Kyushu Cargo class xAK moving to Adak Island.
1st Manchukuo Distr Division is located at Mukden(104,42).
Radio transmissions detected at Lunga (114,138).
Radio transmissions detected at Kalemyo (59,42).
2nd China Assault Division is located at Adak Island(162,52).
106th Ship Eng Coy is located at Nagasaki/Sasebo(102,58).
1st Ind.AA Gun Co is located at Niigata(114,57).
2/90th Division is loaded on a Std-C Cargo class xAK moving to Wyndham.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 502
RE: June 7, 1942 - 11/11/2018 9:58:57 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro
Sigint for the last two days gives some significant bits of information. First, it reveals that the Japanese are reinforcing Adak Island with the 32nd Division, supposedly.
quote:

11/32nd Division is loaded on a Kyushu Cargo class xAK moving to Adak Island.

Aww, looks like John did not do his homework on maskirovka and routed transports directly to the problematic and outright dangerous target w/o waypointing. You should punish the guy ) It might’ve been the misdirection if he wanted 32nd to appear somewhere else unexpectedly for you. But right now there are no sich points on the map in my opinion

< Message edited by GetAssista -- 11/11/2018 10:00:26 AM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 503
RE: June 7, 1942 - 11/11/2018 12:43:41 PM   
Anachro

Right you are, GetAssista. The real conundrum is how best to get close without being spotted by his patrol craft. For now, my patrol craft will mostly search in the direction of Adak.

It also looks like John is using single xAK pickets throughout the large expanse of the Pacific.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 11/11/2018 12:44:17 PM >

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 504
June 8, 1942 - 11/11/2018 9:13:24 PM   
Anachro

June 8, 1942

In the Aleutians, my carriers are undetected and supply, some artillery, etc. are arriving at Umnak Island. Additional bombardments will hit Umnak over the next few days. However, interestingly enough, while the last turn's sigint showed that John is reinforcing Adak or will try to (I have yet to spot his transports), the 25th Division is apparently planning for Umnak. John might make another push for the strategically important island and if he is planning that, his carriers might make a re-appearance when he does so.

quote:

SIG INT REPORT FOR Jun 08, 42

11th Air Defense AA Regiment is located at Osaka/Kyoto(109,59).
16th RGC Temp. Division is located at Loyang(87,43).
28th Cavalry Regiment is located at Harbin(109,39).
43rd Const Co is located at Phnom Penh(58,69).
1st RF Gun Battalion is located at Palembang(48,91).
4th RGC Division is located at Chuhsien(88,56).
Radio transmissions detected at Moulmein (55,55).
Radio transmissions detected at Cam Ranh Bay (64,72).
5th Tank Regiment is located at Chengchow(88,44).
1st Air Defense AA Battalion is located at Tokyo(114,60).
Radio transmissions detected at Rabaul (106,125).
3rd Manchukuo Cav Brigade is located at Chihfeng(100,38).
Oita JNAF Base Force is located at Oita(104,59).
Radio transmissions detected at Madang (97,123).
22nd AA Regiment is located at Hankow(85,50).
6th Army is located at Hailar(107,30).
Radio transmissions detected at Chihkiang (78,50).
661 aircraft are based at Yokohama/Yokosuka (113,61).
4th Air Defense AA Regiment is located at Yokohama/Yokosuka(113,61).
40th Const Co is located at Fusan(103,55).
25th Division is planning for an attack on Umnak Island.
35th Fld AA Gun Co is located at Cox's Bazar(54,43).
1st Raiding Regiment is located at Kalemyo(59,42).
61st Division is located at Utsonomiya(115,60).
39th/B Division is located at Changsha(82,52).
Radio transmissions detected at Kanoya (102,61).
22967 men are based at Kanazawa (111,57).
Radio transmissions detected at Rabaul (106,125).

In India, supply is flowing into Jamshedpur!

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 505
June 9, 1942 - 11/13/2018 12:22:07 AM   
Anachro

June 9, 1942

Not much to report today other than that these bad boys arrived today, the last of my carriers before the Essex's and the first of my modern fast battleships.

Finally, these forces below will be attacking a single Japanese division tomorrow all on its own between Asanol and Ranchi.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 506
RE: June 9, 1942 - 11/13/2018 1:10:08 AM   
Anachro

Some sigint gleanings. It would appear that another Japanese division has arrived at Calcutta as reinforcements. Meanwhile, Jamshedpur is approaching level 5 forts.

quote:

Coastwatcher sighting: 10 Japanese ships at 52,37 near Calcutta , Speed unknown
5/67th Division is loaded on AK Kaga Maru moving to Calcutta.

Nice to know another Japanese DD is confirmed out of the war.

quote:

DD Yugiri is reported to have been sunk near Bandjermasin on May 01, 1942

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 507
RE: June 9, 1942 - 11/13/2018 1:26:20 AM   
Anachro

One thing I'd like to know is if there is a reason Wasp arrives without her 4/1942 upgrade. Hmm... Also why do my CV fighters seem to take heavy fatigue even when on stand down while operating up near the Aleutians?

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 508
June 10, 1942 - IJA 21st ID pushed back! - 11/13/2018 4:16:07 AM   
Anachro

June 10, 1942

In India, John's airforce is causing harsh attrition to my own planes as he seems to have an endless supply of zeroes. However, his tactical error in leaving a long division across the river between Asanol and Ranchi allows me to concentrate my strong divisions (British, US, Aussie) as well as armor units to push it back across the river with decent losses. You can see the results of my deliberate attack in the image below.

Now, while John has 3 divisions or so concentrated in Jamshedpur (35000 men, armor, and artillery units), his flank is defended only by 1-2 divisions plus armor in the clear center hex between Jamshedpur, Asanol, and Ranchi. However, one of the Japanese divisions in this hex (the 21st ID) and the armor have been degraded over the past week and this hex is understrength and could potentially be pushed further back (I expect the hex currently has ~500 AV). This might allow me to then swing over and potentially surround the Japanese troops at Jamshedpur, where John's flanks through recons how weak artillery units or less defending the hexes. The major worry is John's strong airforce and the reinforcements we know are coming from Calcutta and potentially Vizagapatnum.

North of Ranchi, John's 2 tank regiments are being chases by superior British and American armored units. South of Calcutta, the Burmese Division is slowly making its way northward despite air attacks and surrounding Japanese units. It should move to the next hex north tomorrow. It's AV isn't degrading too much, however.

In the Aleutians, John's transports have not been spotted, but neither have my carriers. Meanwhile, regular BB bombardments continue to cause havoc for his isolated defended on Umnak.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 11/13/2018 4:19:59 AM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 509
RE: June 9, 1942 - 11/13/2018 5:30:30 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

One thing I'd like to know is if there is a reason Wasp arrives without her 4/1942 upgrade. Hmm... Also why do my CV fighters seem to take heavy fatigue even when on stand down while operating up near the Aleutians?

Wasp was used to assist the British in flying off fighters to beleaguered Malta. Wasp has a much greater capacity than British carriers available at that time (Ark Royal was sunk, Illustrious and Indomitable were heavily damaged in the Med).

Similarly, North Carolina is not immediately available at game start because she was at Scapa Flow guarding against a breakout by German heavy ships until the British could finish another KGV class BB.

I am sure Adm. King seethed at having these key ships helping the British when the Pacific needed them so badly, but the priority on containing Germany was an absolute imperative.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: May 28, 1942 Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI