Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: May 16th, 1943

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: May 16th, 1943 Page: <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: May 16th, 1943 - 8/3/2019 6:18:23 PM   
Anachro

The transports were in Port so can't have loaded troops. This turn the convoys moved east, so I'm guessing some of his troops might have left. I cannot tell.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1471
RE: May 16th, 1943 - 8/3/2019 6:44:00 PM   
Anachro

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

All the while the IJN was stuck fighting for a peice of real estate they could not hold while other more important real estate changed hands. John should have left months ago and now fights to save face.

I can only think John wanted to hold onto Ceylon to make my path of invasion towards Burma/Malaya more complex. I wanted to secure Ceylon because it simplified that prospect and really opens up the coasts of the DEI, Malaya, and Burma to invasion while simplifying my LoC/LoS. Given the assets he was prepared to commit, he stood a very good chance of holding it had I not taken Colombo. However, I was pretty crafty (which I didn't show in the AAR really) in that I timed a landing and para drop when he had brought most of his forces (and reinforcements) back to Trincomalee for some reason. This created a window where the garrison of Colombo was rather small. Once I took it, I had a foothold that would be very tough for him to overcome if I stuck around. At that point, the commitment of forces is questionable.

As you say, a 1.5:1 ratio is fine for me (would have been very good without my carrier losses); I am very happy wearing down John's BB/BC/CBs and taking a chunk of his CAs and DDs at the expense of the British fleet and slow battleships.

I should note, a good chunk of British BBs are still intact. They have simply suffered damage and will require time in port. BB Prince of Wales and BB Revenge are about to head offmap for repair at Capetown:

BB Queen Elizabeth was one point at 96 float damage from Japanese DD torpedoes, but thankfully this happened in Colombo's hex and she was able to go into port for emergency repairs that brought flotation down to 55 major float damage. BB Warspite, the old horse, is in goods shape and has 6 days of repairs to get to no damage so she can see service again. Both these ships are repairing at Trivandrum, though BB QE will be moved soon. CLAA Argonaut is also at Trivandrum at full health.

The situation at Bombay, two more CLs (Caradoc and Mauritius) are on their way up from Trivandrum.

Lastly, this is on it way to Capetown. Unfortunately, CL Tromp took a torpedo from a sub off Australia's western coast and will require repair in port at CT.

And finally, Colombo:

< Message edited by Anachro -- 8/3/2019 6:46:46 PM >

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 1472
RE: May 16th, 1943 - 8/3/2019 6:58:09 PM   
Anachro

Regarding the value of Port Moresby, Milne Bay, and the others (though I still want to get Horn to make this truly the case), is that it opens up two major pathways for further expansion.

First, I can push directly towards Darwin and the DEI through the Celebes Strait. This is a direct path to push directly into the DEI and threaten John's oil supply. The disadvantage here is the overlapping Japanese airfields and interior lines of LoC, narrow passages, etc. that make it a dangerous place to operate, especially in the face of strong Japanese carriers and surface forces. Moreover, John seems to be retrenching and allocating his forces to cover the passage through the Torres Strait and Arafura Sea and I expect this is where he is really preparing to cause pain.

Second, the areas beyond John's outward line of defense around PM, Guadalcanal, etc. are ripe for moving on and taking. The places beyond New Britain especially are exposed: Manus, northeast New Guinea, etc. Going this route can isolate and cutoff his garrisons while again, threatening multiple areas: the DEI, the Philippines, even the Marianas. In this way, John is forces to stretch his forces and army units over a very wide area, which leaves him exposed.

While this is going on, John is clearly trying to bring some units back from the periphery, which opens up areas to attack that can improve my LoC/LoS, such as the Marshalls and parts of the Solomons. And then there are other areas: Malaya and Burma from India, the Aleutians, etc... John can't be everywhere at once. Concentration of my forces for each effort is key.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1473
RE: May 16th, 1943 - 8/3/2019 7:24:22 PM   
BBfanboy

I think Path 2 should be your main focus but with some landings along Path 1 to keep John guessing for a while. Maybe send a bombardment TF to hit Timor once in a while, when you can arrange LRCAP for it.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1474
RE: May 16th, 1943 - 8/3/2019 8:44:17 PM   
Uncivil Engineer

I agree with BBfanboy about Path 2. Keep in mind when island hopping you MUST have an island to hop to. Plenty of bases along path 2, not so much along path 1.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1475
May 17th, 1943 - 8/4/2019 3:34:22 AM   
Anachro

May 17th, 1943

It would appear the battle for Ceylon is over and cleanup effort begins. Communications from Japanese command wonder at the lack of a bloodbath against his transports, but I wonder what John thinks we could have done given damage to our navy + his carriers providing cover. Troops have evacuated Ceylon and we should take the remaining bases shortly. Colombo and Trincomalee combined deny 1075 victory points to the Japanese. John still has 17k men at Koggala and he appears to be moving north with some. He doesn't know I have a third division at Colombo with another on the way.

In Guinea, Port Moresby falls today with over 6k Japanese troops either captured or killed. Despite ~13,000 Japanese troops or thereabouts being garrisoned at Moresby, the battle is relatively bloodless for Allied forces, which have significant material, firepower, and numerical superiority. In other action, DDs protecting my carriers force a sub to the surface and sink it.

(in reply to Uncivil Engineer)
Post #: 1476
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/4/2019 3:37:17 AM   
Anachro

At the moment, we have forces planning all around Guinea, both in path one and path two. Most likely, we will make it appear we intend to push through path one (indeed, I might try for Horn Island), with the eventual main thrust being up and deep around Manus once forces are ready.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1477
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/4/2019 3:52:25 AM   
Anachro

Relevant Sigint

quote:

Heavy Volume of Radio transmissions detected at 121,122.
90th/C Division is located at Horn Island(91,128).
2/4th Ind Com Engineer Regiment is loaded on a Japanese TK moving to Port Blair.

A lot of stuff moving around south of the Marshalls, seems to be moving in a direction away from the Gilbert's and towards Rabaul or perhaps Manus. A division or part is at Horn. Port Blair is reinforced now that Ceylon is lost and the way to an amphibious invasion of Malaya, etc. is opened.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1478
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/4/2019 4:14:27 AM   
BBfanboy

Congrats on your progress in both theatres!
Ceylon soon to be retaken by the Allies and the people placed under new subjuga ... ummm .... administration!

Careful with shortcuts in place names - some of your ship captains sent to Guinea may go looking for Port Moresby in Africa!

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1479
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/4/2019 2:37:26 PM   
Crackaces

The initiative has shifted May 1943! With Ceylon and PM in Allied hands, This is all very good news. I suspect the IJ will not appreciate this at all and will attempt to regain the offensive initiative somewhere. I am not familiar at all with this modification. What does the Army start with? How does the loss of the Army units impact the over all OOB? One strategic thing I am seeing is that the IJN are running around burning fuel. Though the IJ have the Dutch Indies for fuel — this is not an unlimited resource in terms of production time and time to load tankers to Japan. This is a grand opportunity of sorts to let the IJN destroy the IJ economy through a thousand paper cuts. Maybe draw the IJ into a diversionary contest in the Marshals?

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1480
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/4/2019 3:03:55 PM   
Anachro

Momentum hasn't shifted too much: the Japanese navy is still very strong, particularly the carriers. Japan gets more shokaku-class carriers instead of Unryu, better unsinkable CVLs, I think it even gets more, better DDs. However, the major weakness of Japan early on is the name: the ships it has are insufficient to cover the large area it seeks to defend. Of course, I don't intend to focus on one area so that John can, also, focus there with all his ships. We must spread him out and keep him moving to burn fuel.

I forgot to mention Japan gets carrier-capable Jacks and Georges.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 8/4/2019 3:28:44 PM >

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1481
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/4/2019 3:32:35 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

Momentum hasn't shifted too much: the Japanese navy is still very strong, particularly the carriers. Japan gets more shokaku-class carriers instead of Unryu, better unsinkable CVLs, I think it even gets more, better DDs. However, the major weakness of Japan early on is the name: the ships it has are insufficient to cover the large area it seeks to defend. Of course, I don't intend to focus on one area so that John can, also, focus there with all his ships. We must spread him out and keep him moving to burn fuel.

I forgot to mention Japan gets carrier-capable Jacks and Georges.

Ok ...

How about the Army? Scenario 2 or more like #1 or something in between ?

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1482
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/4/2019 3:37:54 PM   
Anachro

I'm not entirely sure:

quote:

On the ground Yamamoto reorganizes the SNLF units into a Brigade-Sized offensive force and—knowing it will be a war of attrition—converts many Naval Guard into enhanced units with Coastal Defense artillery (using guns taken from refitted warships) for a stronger defensive unit. Additional small units are added to the IJN’s Troops and support units better reflecting Yamamoto's foresight into base building, defense, and expansion needs. While all these units are small and not in great number they promise to help the Japanese war effort.

Japan gets more CD units, SNLF brigades, etc, but I'm not sure the state of its army divisions.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1483
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/4/2019 7:40:10 PM   
modrow

quote:

I'm not entirely sure:

quote:

On the ground Yamamoto reorganizes the SNLF units into a Brigade-Sized offensive force and—knowing it will be a war of attrition—converts many Naval Guard into enhanced units with Coastal Defense artillery (using guns taken from refitted warships) for a stronger defensive unit. Additional small units are added to the IJN’s Troops and support units better reflecting Yamamoto's foresight into base building, defense, and expansion needs. While all these units are small and not in great number they promise to help the Japanese war effort.

Japan gets more CD units, SNLF brigades, etc, but I'm not sure the state of its army divisions.

IIRC your Allied 43 Inf squad upgrades have been nerfed as well, so fire power increase for Allied in 43 is much lower and just comparable to (rather than superior to, like in stock) IJA squad capabilities.That effects loss balance significantly.

HArtwig

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1484
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/4/2019 8:21:37 PM   
Anachro

If I remember correctly when we discussed this same subject early on in this thread, Modrow, the values for the squads are the same as they are in DBB-C, which is the underlying mod used by John in the current iteration of his mod. I believe he is actively transitioning the mod over to B-Mod as a base for future versions.

(in reply to modrow)
Post #: 1485
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/4/2019 8:43:21 PM   
ny59giants

Future plans with this mod: We are going to use Big B's China changes. Hopefully it makes that theater a large stalemate. When it comes to IJA changes in this mod, there have been very few. Most deal with various HQ of all types - less static Command HQ, move aviation support and some added support to the various Air HQs. The Naval Guards are now in Assault Divisions which are more like brigades, but we made them divisions so they can be divided. The decision on the Jack and George being CV capable was John's. We did push out their availability after I was able to get the George in late '42 in a prior version. Allies do get some nice perks, so it's not one sided.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1486
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/4/2019 10:01:10 PM   
modrow

quote:

If I remember correctly when we discussed this same subject early on in this thread, Modrow, the values for the squads are the same as they are in DBB-C, which is the underlying mod used by John in the current iteration of his mod. I believe he is actively transitioning the mod over to B-Mod as a base for future versions.

Aye, but it sure makes a difference with respect to momentum IMO (just like the reduction of cargo load capacities and changes to fuel usage that you seem to be using as they are part of DBB-C, too), which was what Crackaces was asking about.

That's all I say.

Hartwig

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1487
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/4/2019 11:26:25 PM   
JohnDillworth

What is the Allied offset for the Jack & George being carrier capable? Also, What changes have been made to late war Allied air production to offset Japan's player defined upgrades and is there any corresponding increase in Allied aircraft production to match the ahistoric Japanes aircraft production? thanks

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1488
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/5/2019 2:30:20 AM   
Anachro

I can't answer fully, but the Allies get the option to "buy" additional aircraft replacements in-game. However, I think the cost in PPs is a little steep to be quite honest. And, of course, the number of replacements we can buy is limited.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 8/5/2019 2:34:04 AM >

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 1489
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/5/2019 3:43:55 PM   
Bif1961

In my game I have a lot of Dutch squadrons that could use older American air frames, especially P-40S. PPS are hard to come by in the mid war period but I would invest some if I could fill 6-10 dutch fighter squadrons. I am still flying so Dutch bombers and I am starting June 43, not counting several small Dutch naval search units.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1490
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/5/2019 4:04:16 PM   
RangerJoe

The Dutch do get some aircraft to purchase.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 1491
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/5/2019 4:22:29 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

The Dutch do get some aircraft to purchase.

The Dutch also get the B-25C as an upgrade without having to pay PP IIRC. That alone makes buying out a few Dutch bomber units worthwhile.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1492
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/5/2019 4:41:05 PM   
821Bobo

But Dutch doesn't have any pilot replacements. You need them babysit.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1493
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/5/2019 5:27:12 PM   
RangerJoe

The air units that you purchase have pilots.

― Julia Child

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 1494
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/5/2019 5:42:58 PM   
821Bobo

Sure they have, on Dec 7th.
But I am pretty sure these Dutch doesn't have much left.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1495
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/5/2019 5:55:27 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: modrow

quote:

Aye, but it sure makes a difference with respect to momentum IMO (just like the reduction of cargo load capacities and changes to fuel usage that you seem to be using as they are part of DBB-C, too), which was what Crackaces was asking about.

That's all I say.

Hartwig

That point is exactly what I am leading on to ... more so, it looks like the IJN get more floating toys that will (if used) burn more fuel. Unless the IJ get extra fuel/refineries that I am not aware of ... The Allies increase in floating toys has a fuel supply only limited by logistics. I might propose that the IJN's position is not the same.

One thing that was argued a long time ago (I have not been on this forum for quite awhile) and that is the unintended consequences of DBB changes in 10% of the refinery output going to supply. The obvious problem was that the 10% supply allowed for an allied strategy of "Fortress Palembang" so eliminating the 10% seemed to solve a problem. But it creates an insidious problem in that supplies for the DEI have to come from elsewhere as the standard map does not have many places producing supply. Thus the IJN has to support the IJA in the DEI. It abstractly means trading even more fuel for supply.

I will go back into lurking mode ..

(in reply to modrow)
Post #: 1496
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/5/2019 6:12:15 PM   
Anachro

Well, if John keeps using his heavies as he is, he will keep most of his fuel in the DEI burning it up, with little left over for the home islands. Japan already has elected to build 2 Yamato BBs and I think gets an opion to build more. In addition to this, I think he gets more CVs.

quote:

Battleship Question and Decision

Staying historical the Japanese decide to build the super-battleships of the Yamato-Class. All four are represented in this Mod. Shinano and Aki are built as BBs and they will use BUCKETS of shipyard points but they are Japan's for the asking.

Fuji-Class Light Battlecruisers

The perceived success of the Chichibu Battlecruiser leads Japan to follow the big guns approach with their final class of 'cruisers.' The Japanese follow the example of the Panzerschiff and create a cruiser-killing class of six ships. The Fuji-Class mount 2x2 14" guns, capable secondary, and long lances in an effort to fight the massive American Two-Ocean Naval Build-Up.

Do you think John will elect to build all of the Yamato-class BBs?

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1497
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/5/2019 6:13:54 PM   
RangerJoe

I agree that refineries should produce supply since Avgas, DF, and Mogas are both in the supply area and not the fuel area.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1498
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/6/2019 3:03:31 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: 821Bobo

Sure they have, on Dec 7th.
But I am pretty sure these Dutch doesn't have much left.

Disbanding some Dutch squadrons before they are overrun on Java should provide a pool of pilots for the Dutch. The squadrons bought out and upgrading to B-25C will have been moved to safer bases and will already have pilots. Yeah, they may eventually run out but they can do some damage to the enemy before they run out.

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 1499
RE: May 17th, 1943 - 8/6/2019 3:10:42 AM   
RangerJoe

Some of those Dutch squadrons can also use Aussie pilots.

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1500
Page:   <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: May 16th, 1943 Page: <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI