Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: August 29th, 1943

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: August 29th, 1943 Page: <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: August 29th, 1943 - 12/15/2019 1:06:01 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

SORRY! SORRY! Was this an OPSEC violation?

Not unless you had revealed something about the Japanese strength at Akyab. You haven't told Anachro anything he couldn't see for himself.

Capt. Harlock,

Perhaps I wasn't obvious enough with my 'winking' emoticon, but I never suspected that my posting the (relatively obvious) observation about Akyab would constitute OPSEC violations. I was merely stating the profoundly obvious.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 1831
RE: August 29th, 1943 - 12/15/2019 1:08:36 AM   
Anachro

We have good DL there. Akyab has one division with some ancillary units. Still waiting for the next turn. John said he was gonna be busy yesterday, but haven't heard anything yet today.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 12/15/2019 1:09:08 AM >

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 1832
Aug 30-Aug 31, 1943 - 12/16/2019 4:56:51 PM   
Anachro

Aug 30-Aug 31, 1943

CVs are a day away from being re-fueled and will move back towards Kwajalein next turn, but it looks like John is slowly vacating the port at Kwajalein, with only 3 CAs seen there this turn (FoW and everything). We do manage to put another torpedo into CA Myako on its way to Truk, but we don't do enough damage to sink her. Moreover, it seems that CL Agano will survive. We'll see next turn. Johh bombards Manus with BB Yamato, etc. to little effect this turn.

My CVs have been undetected for two days. John's search east of Kwajalein is spotty.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 12/16/2019 8:04:09 PM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1833
RE: Aug 30-Sep 1, 1943 - 12/16/2019 5:03:10 PM   
Anachro

Forgot to include:

quote:

Afternoon Air attack on Kwajalein Island , at 132,115

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 7 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Allied aircraft
PB4Y-1 Liberator x 1

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
AG Daido Maru, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x PB4Y-1 Liberator bombing from 5000 feet *
Port Attack: 5 x 500 lb GP Bomb

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1834
RE: Aug 30-Sep 1, 1943 - 12/16/2019 6:35:01 PM   
BBfanboy

With both the CA and CL torpedoed, that TF only has a DD, a PB and a PG that could fight well in a surface engagement. A TF of 4 DDs could probably sink most of the TF.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1835
RE: Aug 30-Sep 1, 1943 - 12/16/2019 7:42:54 PM   
ITAKLinus

Just to inform you, Anachro, I posted a relatively detailed analysis of BTS and Scen1 differences in the relative topic in MOD section.

Maybe there are few interesting things for your match. I wanted to post it here but I thought it was more appropriate to go there.

Francesco

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1836
RE: Aug 30-Sep 1, 1943 - 12/18/2019 5:14:39 PM   
Anachro

I'll give an update next turn. Been a few days with little action. My CV's returned to Kwajalein, but John has made an effort to get his boats out of port, I'm guessing they fled to nearby dot hexes or ports. We sink an AS and AG in Kwajalein harbor. Meanwhile, John is concentrating on Manus again and looks to me like he plans to try and take it. We'll see. In India, a CVE or CVL force appears in the Bay of Bengal and we might try and strike at it depending on what recon shows next few days. We have three CVLs at Ceylon, as well as numerous surface ships.

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 1837
RE: Aug 30-Sep 1, 1943 - 12/18/2019 5:40:20 PM   
Cheesesteak

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

I'll give an update next turn. Been a few days with little action. My CV's returned to Kwajalein, but John has made an effort to get his boats out of port, I'm guessing they fled to nearby dot hexes or ports. We sink an AS and AG in Kwajalein harbor. Meanwhile, John is concentrating on Manus again and looks to me like he plans to try and take it. We'll see. In India, a CVE or CVL force appears in the Bay of Bengal and we might try and strike at it depending on what recon shows next few days. We have three CVLs at Ceylon, as well as numerous surface ships.

What's your feeling on Manus? Concerned? Confident? Somewhere in-between?

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1838
RE: Aug 30-Sep 1, 1943 - 12/18/2019 5:40:55 PM   
Anachro

On a side note, I have gotten John's permission to work on a slightly modified BTS, though I haven't decided yet whether I'll wait for his next version with the conversion to BigB's mod or work off the existing DBB variant. In it, the goal will be to fix the glaring issues I think some of us have noted in relation to the economy, air force, and navy. Based on my observation of the editor, most of these changes shouldn't be too hard, with the most laborious and potentially complex being changes to resource/fuel production.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1839
RE: Aug 30-Sep 1, 1943 - 12/18/2019 5:43:44 PM   
Anachro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cheesesteak

What's your feeling on Manus? Concerned? Confident? Somewhere in-between?

Very confident. There's no way he's taking it. To expand, essentially with the destruction of 2 Akagi-class CVs and 2 Hiryu-class CVs, as well as potentially an Aso-class CVL, I have the preponderance of carrier air strength to now meaningfully impose my will on operations. We can start carefully moving up Guinea over the next few months once my ships are back in place.

In the short term, we will take Horn Island and Lae, or try to.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 12/18/2019 5:48:17 PM >

(in reply to Cheesesteak)
Post #: 1840
RE: Aug 30-Sep 1, 1943 - 12/18/2019 11:45:46 PM   
Timotheus

You can't imagine how HAPPY I am that this AAR is continuing.

Re: mod, my beginner player who never played a LONG AAR views....

John is a Japan Fan Boy. He buffed Japan to be as powerful as Star Wars Empire, and Yamamoto now wears black armour and breathes heavily. Also chokes people at a distance. Hirohito cackles, coughs and shoots blue flames from his hands.

It is a fantasy star wars Japan WW2 mod, made by a Japanese fanboy, what did y'all expect?

This made for a GREAT game so far, with Japan being able to hang (and then some!) to 1943, perhaps even to 1944 or... even 1945? What a CHALLENGE for an experienced Allied player!

John seems to me a guy who wants to move his gigantic Kido Butai with Kikka CV based jets on it from Japan to Hawaii to Africa and back for raiding, without worrying about pesky fuel, supplies, production and all that (stupid ) stuff Japanese player is saddled with (sarcasm implied, calm down)...

...and this mod gives him precisely that.

My view, John just buffed his navy to obscene levels, and took his time creating his star destroyers and tie fighters (and Liz bombers, cough). Then he decided that all these fantasy fleets will require some economic backing, and he winged it - John does not strike me as a player who even remotely likes the economic side of this game, he likes CV planes raiding Madagascar and sinking AKL ! (.... as do I).

I think John spent about 30-90 days on the navy side of this mod, and about a half-day on the economic side (my view, my inference).

Which all boils down to.... this AAR, which is fantastic!

Thanks Anachro for playing this fantasy star wars Japanese empire against Darth Yamamoto !

PS
It's Christmas, the crazy time at work and home, I have not had time to go to the toilet, much less play games, or even read the WITPAE AAR's, we will see if John dropped it AFTER January 10-ish.

Toodles, boomers

NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1841
RE: Aug 30-Sep 1, 1943 - 12/19/2019 12:27:19 PM   
Bearcat2

I read AAR's mostly to see how different mods/scenario's play out. I appreciate your time and effort; Thank You

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 1842
Sep 5th, 1943 - 12/20/2019 11:35:35 AM   
Anachro

Sep 5th, 1943

My British carriers (as well as American CVLs) arrive at Pearl today from the strikes and carrier battles in the Marshalls and this is a good thing as their planes are depleted and there is a significant lack of British carrier air replacements. CVs Formidable, Indomitable, and Victorious now sport almost 100% American air wings. My American carriers that conducted a second strike on Kwajalein are a few days away from port and will also replenish. BC Chesapeake goes into repair and refit at Pearl for a much needed upgrade and boost to her anti-aircraft capabilities. CVL Cowpens arrives at Balboa.

Once the carriers are fuels and repaired, they will be sent back to the South Pacific because there is still a lot of activity going on there. John has been bombing Manus ineffectively and we haven't offered any opposition but local AA for a few days. He has bombarded it with BBs to little effect, and he is operating lots of transports with BBs embedded; John might be landing additional troops there in the near future. However, we can get enough supply in through the air and SSTs in the immediate term to keep things afloat and our local AV on Manus is back to ~620. There is a lot of carrier a/c operating in an ASW capacity around Truk.

Giving John a pesky little surprise and punishing him for his failure to provide ample CAP support to his bombers, a CAP trap at Manus kills a number of Japanese bombers.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 12/20/2019 11:38:25 AM >

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 1843
RE: Sep 5th, 1943 - 12/20/2019 11:37:37 AM   
Anachro

I will be away for the next few days. The whole extended family is doing a big trip to Disneyworld prior to Christmas.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1844
RE: Sep 5th, 1943 - 12/20/2019 3:49:55 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

CVs Formidable, Indomitable, and Victorious now sport almost 100% American air wings.

I realize that this mod has certain-ahem-Japanese OOB 'enhancements' that are fantasy. In my mind, that means that all's fair in love and war for this sort of thing. But has this come up in conversation with John or as an internal dialogue with you? Many HRs about not flying American airwings on Brit CVs (and vice-versa) are out there.

I'm not sure if this would have been physically possible either. As the torpedo and bomb loadouts are generic, it's possible in the game, but did the Brits have substantially different AV Gas storage, torpedo or bomb loading mechanics, flight deck parameters or arresting gear uses? I just don't know.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1845
RE: Sep 5th, 1943 - 12/20/2019 3:59:58 PM   
Canoerebel

That would be odd. Japan is free to explore all kinds of what-ifs but the Allies are not entrusted with the flexibility and ability to figure out that the RN could only produce 13 carrier fighters and might need some help from the Americans. "Hey, you guys with the robust economy, how about figuring out sometime in the next four years how to give us some fighters than can land on our decks?"

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 12/20/2019 4:02:26 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1846
RE: Sep 5th, 1943 - 12/20/2019 4:01:45 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

CVs Formidable, Indomitable, and Victorious now sport almost 100% American air wings.

I realize that this mod has certain-ahem-Japanese OOB 'enhancements' that are fantasy. In my mind, that means that all's fair in love and war for this sort of thing. But has this come up in conversation with John or as an internal dialogue with you? Many HRs about not flying American airwings on Brit CVs (and vice-versa) are out there.

I'm not sure if this would have been physically possible either. As the torpedo and bomb loadouts are generic, it's possible in the game, but did the Brits have substantially different AV Gas storage, torpedo or bomb loading mechanics, flight deck parameters or arresting gear uses? I just don't know.

The Brits did operate Corsairs. In fact they showed the Americans how to make a safer landing with the long-nosed, huge propped beast!

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 12/20/2019 4:02:13 PM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1847
RE: Sep 5th, 1943 - 12/20/2019 4:12:22 PM   
Anachro

I agree with the sentiments above from CR and, as BB mentions, the Britsh CVs did historically operate American a/c. Martlets are just a renamed Wildcat and British carriers operated Corsairs and Avengers.

That said, as mentioned before in this AAR, both by me and others who have played the mod, the mod does not produce enough replacement British naval aircraft, especially given that John has withdrawals turned off so that I have all the British carriers. As such, it's almost a necessity to use American air groups on British a/c until that is fixed. Currently I have 0 British naval fighters and bombers in the pools; and that's not because I lost a lot.

Of course, once that is hopefully fixed in future versions, I'd be more inclined to use British a/c. As for home rules, from the very beginning we decided to have almost none.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 12/20/2019 4:13:34 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1848
RE: Sep 5th, 1943 - 12/20/2019 4:37:25 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

That would be odd. Japan is free to explore all kinds of what-ifs but the Allies are not entrusted with the flexibility and ability to figure out that the RN could only produce 13 carrier fighters and might need some help from the Americans. "Hey, you guys with the robust economy, how about figuring out sometime in the next four years how to give us some fighters than can land on our decks?"

My comments weren't about using American airframes that were subsequently adapted for use by British naval aviation. I get that they used a fair number of them. But with British aircrews and their armaments and their personnel, per my questions re: capabilities. I'm also not saying that it's 'unfair' for the Allied player to do so in this mod. I also wasn't aware of the negligible RN airframe replacement rate (13/month is patently absurd) for this mod, as I have only recently been paying attention to it.

Anachro: Your HR sentence answers my question. Thanks.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1849
RE: Sep 5th, 1943 - 12/20/2019 8:58:08 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

My comments weren't about using American airframes that were subsequently adapted for use by British naval aviation. I get that they used a fair number of them. But with British aircrews and their armaments and their personnel, per my questions re: capabilities. I'm also not saying that it's 'unfair' for the Allied player to do so in this mod. I also wasn't aware of the negligible RN airframe replacement rate (13/month is patently absurd) for this mod, as I have only recently been paying attention to it.

Didn't USS Robin operate some USN air groups? I thought even in game she is given a USN TB group with Avengers. Am I remembering this incorrectly?

Not that it matters. Both sides are also able to operate non-CV trained groups as well which always seems odd to me.

EDIT: This image shows some USN marked Wildcats on her. This is from a long article on her mission in the Pacific. It turns out there were actually all RN crews but trained in USN carrier procedures. Also, using the very heavy Avengers caused some problems as the arresting and lifting equipment wasn't set up for such a beast.

The Ship That Never Was

EDIT-2: Aha! Toward the end of the article I found this. There was a lot of switching flight groups around for this op in June 43.

The Pacific force put out to sea on June 27 to cover amphibious troop landings on New Georgia in the Solomon Islands. Task Group 36.3 would take up a ‘covering’ station some 300 miles offshore in the Coral Sea, on hand in case the Japanese fleet attempted to intervene. In her role as CAP and fighter carrier, HMS Victorious was operating 60 Martlets and Wildcats.

USS Saratoga retained 12 Wildcats along with her 36 Dauntless and 20 USN Avengers. The 15 FAA Avengers operated from her deck for the whole operations.The carriers took no part in the actual invasion itself, but remained protectively on station for a full 28 days, as Task Group 36.3 under Rear Admiral F. P. Sherman.An extensive search was conducted for Japanese naval forces, with aircraft fanning out more than 200 miles from their base ships.

Commander Mitchell, USN, was much more positive at this point:

That whole operation was indicative of what you could do with fairly well trained outfits and free interchange of information. The British squadron liked to work on the American carrier, and our boys seemed to like the British carrier, probably because they could get a drink before dinner in the evening, or perhaps for the novelty.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 12/20/2019 9:23:58 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1850
RE: Sep 5th, 1943 - 12/20/2019 9:38:39 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

quote:

Didn't USS Robin operate some USN air groups? I thought even in game she is given a USN TB group with Avengers. Am I remembering this incorrectly?

Not that it matters. Both sides are also able to operate non-CV trained groups as well which always seems odd to me.

EDIT: This image shows some USN marked Wildcats on her. This is from a long article on her mission in the Pacific. It turns out there were actually all RN crews but trained in USN carrier procedures. Also, using the very heavy Avengers caused some problems as the arresting and lifting equipment wasn't set up for such a beast.

The Ship That Never Was

EDIT-2: Aha! Toward the end of the article I found this. There was a lot of switching flight groups around for this op in June 43.

The Pacific force put out to sea on June 27 to cover amphibious troop landings on New Georgia in the Solomon Islands. Task Group 36.3 would take up a ‘covering’ station some 300 miles offshore in the Coral Sea, on hand in case the Japanese fleet attempted to intervene. In her role as CAP and fighter carrier, HMS Victorious was operating 60 Martlets and Wildcats.

USS Saratoga retained 12 Wildcats along with her 36 Dauntless and 20 USN Avengers. The 15 FAA Avengers operated from her deck for the whole operations.The carriers took no part in the actual invasion itself, but remained protectively on station for a full 28 days, as Task Group 36.3 under Rear Admiral F. P. Sherman.An extensive search was conducted for Japanese naval forces, with aircraft fanning out more than 200 miles from their base ships.

Commander Mitchell, USN, was much more positive at this point:

That whole operation was indicative of what you could do with fairly well trained outfits and free interchange of information. The British squadron liked to work on the American carrier, and our boys seemed to like the British carrier, probably because they could get a drink before dinner in the evening, or perhaps for the novelty.

Very cool find Obvert!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1851
RE: Sep 5th, 1943 - 12/23/2019 1:48:30 AM   
CaptBeefheart

A great book I picked up at the time I met Obvert in London is Hobbs' "British Pacific Fleet." The RN did a very good job proving it could operate in a USN environment (SOPs, signals, codes, ordnance, etc.). I don't see a problem putting USMC squadrons on its decks. Here's the book.

Another factor: Had the RN carrier fleet remained in the theater throughout (i.e. "no withdrawals") and conducted a higher tempo of operations, they'd have received more lend-lease Wildcats, Corsairs, Hellcats and Avengers to make up for additional losses.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1852
RE: Sep 5th, 1943 - 12/23/2019 1:52:49 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptBeefheart

Another factor: Had the RN carrier fleet remained in the theater throughout (i.e. "no withdrawals") and conducted a higher tempo of operations, they'd have received more lend-lease Wildcats, Corsairs, Hellcats and Avengers to make up for additional losses.

Good point.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 1853
RE: Sep 5th, 1943 - 12/23/2019 12:11:29 PM   
Bearcat2

An example of British/American cooperation, my father's Group [47th] in North Africa switched from the Norden to a British bombsight[Mark IX-E], they then got RAF bombardiers in their flight crew.

Examples of switching aircraft:
On Dec 16th 1941, 97th SQ/47th Bomb grp began operating 8 LB-30's from Fresno that had been destined for Britain
Mid January, the entire 47th switched over to A-20's that had been destined for Russia from the Douglas plant in Los Angeles

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1854
RE: Sep 5th, 1943 - 12/23/2019 12:57:26 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

A great book I picked up at the time I met Obvert in London is Hobbs' "British Pacific Fleet." The RN did a very good job proving it could operate in a USN environment (SOPs, signals, codes, ordnance, etc.). I don't see a problem putting USMC squadrons on its decks. Here's the book.

Cheers,
CB

The book description mentions the post-war period. Did it say anything about the post-WWII battles in Malaya and Burma to keep the communist insurgencies out? Did the RN play a part in that?

Post #: 1855
RE: Sep 5th, 1943 - 12/24/2019 12:25:15 AM   
CaptBeefheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Cheers,
CB

The book description mentions the post-war period. Did it say anything about the post-WWII battles in Malaya and Burma to keep the communist insurgencies out? Did the RN play a part in that?

There's a bit on the postwar RN in Hong Kong and ops off Korea but it's mostly about WW2. I don't recall the Malayan or Burmese insurgencies being mentioned at all.

EDIT: If I can remember, I'll check the index this evening.

Cheers,
CB

< Message edited by CaptBeefheart -- 12/24/2019 12:26:09 AM >

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1856
Sep 6th, 1943 - 12/24/2019 3:05:42 AM   
Anachro

Sep 6th, 1943

I'm back and a fun little turn happens in the mean time to which I'm not sure of the full meaning. John, as expected, launched a full sweep of Manus but finds nothing on CAP there, meanwhile he has minesweepers operating either in preparation for the landing of additional troops or in an attempt to extract the forces he currently has on the island. Not sure yet. We have level 3 forts on the island, 641 AV worth of troops, and while supply is low, it is positive and all our units are in good condition. If John does try to land additional divisions on the island, he'll be significantly over the stacking limit.

The real interesting part of the day is whats going on around the Marshalls. Several TFs make their appearance, most notably a transport force of some sort seemingly headed for Wake Island and the main KB, which appears just off of Eniwetok. Unfortunately, KB makes an appearance just as a number of fast xAKs pull into Wake to deliver much needed supply (though my xAKs are not spotted). That said, Wake has ~2k supply and a small garrison of a marine defense battalion as well as a couple nice CD units. We'll see what happens if John does land, but part of me suspects this might have been John trying to set a trap (juicy target at Wake with his carriers potentially hidden nearby), or he could simply be trying to chase my own carriers, which are now headed back to Pearl and currently just west of Johnston Island. For now my carriers will continue to Pearl and replenish, just like my British carriers and CVLs. We'll see what happens. If KB is over here, we can probably do some landings with our CVEs providing cover in Guinea.

Oh, and the fun part is a submarine puts two 21in. Mk 14 torpedoes into the CV Taikaku, an improved Shokaku-class carrier. No planes destroyed on the ground or sinking sounds though. Belt penetration, and damage below the waterline and to the engines is reported in both hits.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 12/24/2019 3:16:31 AM >

Post #: 1857
RE: Sep 6th, 1943 - 12/24/2019 2:33:24 PM   
Cheesesteak

Great read, as always.

I’m curious why John isn’t keeping the KB closer to Truk. From there he could interfere with more of your machinations.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1858
RE: Sep 6th, 1943 - 12/24/2019 3:36:16 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cheesesteak

Great read, as always.

I’m curious why John isn’t keeping the KB closer to Truk. From there he could interfere with more of your machinations.

Cheesesteak, Eniwetok isn't very far from Truk. He can make Truk in 1.5 days sail. Did you mean West of Truk so as to interfere with operations around Manus?

(in reply to Cheesesteak)
Post #: 1859
Sep 14th, 1943 - 1/1/2020 11:32:57 PM   
Anachro

Sep 14th, 1943

Not much to report in the turns between now and then, but interestingly, as shown in my last update, John sent his KB east towards Eniwetok and then up towards Wake Island, and based on the various TFs seen throughout the turns, he was covering for his beleaguered damaged TFs as they made their way back to Japan. Fortunate for him, my CVs were in major need of some R&R in Pearl and were tied up at the docks by the time I realized this. Now, they are either on their way back to the SoPac or will be ready to move in 3 days time. While this was all going on, John came in with fast transports and such and extracted his divisions from Manus.

Taking advantage of John's decision to have KB loitering up by Wake Island, I sent an invasion fleet covered by CVEs and the all-fighter CV Illustrious to land at Lae. They have no successfully done so and seem to be in good position to take the hex as the most recent assault (the first one) knocked enemy forts down from 3 to 2. Unfortunately, I did not have enough APAs and AKAs in the area as a lot of them are being allocated for operations elsewhere. As such, we used xAKs for a large portion of the troops and a good number remain unloaded (though most of the combat troops and decent numbers of support have unloaded).

The danger now is that while this has been going on, John is clearly bringing his big surface guns down (and my own fast BBs are just exiting their refits in Australia today and the next 2-3 days). Moreover, he has extensive airpower as demonstrated by a minor one today that broke through CAP to put on 250kg SAP bomb into CL Phoenix (and causing little damage, thankfully). We have a number of task forces patrolling off the invasion beaches (DD, CA/CL/DD, CA/DD, and BC/CA/DD), but they are most likely outclassed by the coming Japanese armada. It might be time to flee with our transports left in the area back to Milne Bay at full speed (hitting the beaches briefly with bombardments).

Our forces on the ground should be sufficient for the job at the moment. John CAN land additional forces in a counter-landing; in fact, I suspect he might try this now that his KB is back at Truk. However, it might be good for me if he tries this. First, my carriers are back on the way tot he SoPac. Second, I have additional troops (a whole Marine division in fact) that are preppred for Lae, as well as additional AV I was not able to pickup from other bases.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 1/1/2020 11:33:59 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1860
Page:   <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: August 29th, 1943 Page: <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI