Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Feb.28, 1944 - Battles in the Andaman Sea, Cont.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Feb.28, 1944 - Battles in the Andaman Sea, Cont. Page: <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Feb.28, 1944 - Battles in the Andaman Sea, Cont. - 7/24/2020 3:49:52 PM   
RangerJoe

Nothing wrong with girls testing you.

CR does not have a game going at this time. So no AAR.

CR also did not like the snarky, political comments that appeared to attack his area of the country on the "OT: Coronavirus 2, the No Politics Version" thread. So he decided to take a break.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 2041
RE: Mar 1. 1944 - 7/24/2020 4:18:29 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

Currently, my carriers have 594 operational fighters, 328 dive bombers, and 232 torpedo bombers. As before, most of my sorties remain, as well as a decent number of torpedoes. I could move up with towards Sabang with my surface vessels and carriers to the same hex and just absorb any strikes the next day and provide cover for my SCTFs. Then I can try a clash the next day with both SCTFs and carriers. My SCTFs have okay ammo but will need to replenish after engagement. The only BB truly low on ammo is Prince of Wales, unfortunately.

Yep, you are then in position to bombard Sabang, too, for I suspect Japan will retreat. In fights like this, I like to save the Battleships and use cruisers, light cruisers and destroyers for bombardments. Should be much easier to replenish from tenders than the battleships. Also less likely to eat iboat fish. Plus the bbs get to stick around...being a threat.

When you start thinking about moves and likely reactions several days or weeks a head of time you will be in even better position. The Straits are a natural choke point. You should have minelaying subs and a sub gauntlet he has to flee thru, covered by night time search from your Andaman base.

And then you will have trapped any IJN ships north of the straits...they either hide in port or run the gauntlet.

Not to mention it is almost impossible to supply the IJA without shipping in supplies to Rangoon. Start bombing his supply in Burma.

Grab all those dot bases, works great for tender depots, pt bases, flying boat bases etc. Especially when Japan is giving them away for free.

Would have been nice to test Japanese air search from the west of Sabang, sneaking in a naval bombardment, or raiding SAGs would have been fun too, especially if his carrier nest is there...get them to disperse in the night and not coordinate their daytime strikes against a concentrated Allied fleet. That would have been sweet. You probably could accomplish something similar with task force 254...just separate out two destroyers and run the flank speed into the hex se or sw of Sabang...lots of reactions.

Just my thoughts.

PS: You need to feel confident in your CAP settings for the deathstar. No mistakes allowed there.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 7/24/2020 4:41:30 PM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 2042
Mar 2-3. 1944 - 7/25/2020 9:11:49 PM   
Anachro

Mar 2-3. 1944

The next two turns happen. As planned, I move my forces up with destroyers steaming ahead at flank to Sabang to see if they can hit his carriers. Unfortunately, all they run into are heavily damaged IJN destroyers which they do no damage to. As expected, John flees with his carriers and through the quirks of the replay I am able to see which direction they go, though I get no recon on them in the actual turn. I saw two IJN TFs head southwest from Sabang in the replay during the night and I suspect those were John's carriers. So, for the next day, I move my carriers southwest set to nav strike/port strike on Sabang which 10/10 recon shows what appears to be some CVEs, DDs, and other ships in port.

The next day, we have a sync bug, but I'm far happier with the actual results. In my replay, my carriers didn't strike, but in the actual turn they did hit Sabang after my Battleships and cruisers had softened it up. It seems John had a large number of AKEs here for bombarding against my forces. They are most likely sunk, as well as a few other ships. Oh well, I'll take it. I have to be careful of where John's carriers went to the west. Did he continue south back to safer waters? Or is he planning some daring raid to the west and up towards Ceylon? We'll see.

In other news, BB Oklahoma is still alive and kicking and still might make it back to port barring catastrophic failure to contain flooding.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 7/25/2020 9:23:26 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2043
RE: Mar 2-3. 1944 - 7/25/2020 9:55:38 PM   
Anachro

Progress has been slow on the land front, but lessons learned and all that. Nonetheless, I've started at least whittling down the IJN some more with these actions around Burma: since February the IJN has lost something on the order of 1 BB, 2 BCs, 3 CAs, 2-3 CLs, and 13-15 DDs.

However, with Death Star in the area I now expect to lockdown the area as per Lowpe's advice above to really consolidate and provide cover for continuous pressure on Burma and surrounding areas. John has massive amounts of troops in Burma (in the 100-300k range perhaps) with no easy extraction point and with Death Star locking things down and constant SCTF bombardments, I expect to make headway over the coming month or so. Moulmein will be resupplied and further invested, another landing elsewhere is prepared with two waves, follow-on forces are earmarked for a quick march, full-prepared, on Rangoon. For troops crossing by land to pressure the IJA, John had Ramree Island occupied, but it seems there are no troops there, so I will opportunely take it to start bringing in supply to my nearby troops.

It will be slow, it will be arduous, but I expect success. Burma already shows signs of having no supply, with Rangoon and other airfields having been at 100% airfield damage for over a month or more now. From there, it becomes easier to march down upon Singapore without relying solely on naval invasion.

And then there are plans elsewhere...even ones that might not need DS support.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 7/25/2020 10:00:17 PM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 2044
RE: Mar 2-3. 1944 - 7/26/2020 11:14:53 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

The next day, we have a sync bug, but I'm far happier with the actual results. In my replay, my carriers didn't strike, but in the actual turn they did hit Sabang after my Battleships and cruisers had softened it up.

Oh, the ever-aggressive John... keeping so many long-legged bombers on a coastal forward base, while a whole east coast of Malaya is practically the same in terms of distance

Be ready when he comes for his divisions at PB. It wont take long and it will be more intense than the last battle

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 2045
RE: Mar 2-3. 1944 - 7/26/2020 11:48:54 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

The next day, we have a sync bug, but I'm far happier with the actual results. In my replay, my carriers didn't strike, but in the actual turn they did hit Sabang after my Battleships and cruisers had softened it up.

Oh, the ever-aggressive John... keeping so many long-legged bombers on a coastal forward base, while a whole east coast of Malaya is practically the same in terms of distance

Be ready when he comes for his divisions at PB. It wont take long and it will be more intense than the last battle

Sabang is such a trap for Japan. Nicely done.

Now think what Japan will likely do next. Will he fall back, reassemble, refuel and attack here again, or move to make hay with his carriers somewhere else....

You have noted John's avenue of departure...he is infamous for stationing fuelers and approaching from unexpected areas. Figure he might be steaming to Ceylon with his carriers. He knows you have fired a lot of ammo...where will you be going to rearm? Where does he think you are going to rearm?

Some random thoughts:

I would put fighters on lrcap over PB from Little Andaman if you can, or better park a CVE or 5 there with fighters to intercept his air transport. He can't sweep his own base...and Japanese air transport I bet is super vigorous in this mod. Finding out where those transports are based would be interesting too.

There are three bases all those damaged planes at Sabang can go to along the rail line....I would like to figure out how I could visit those after one day of rail travel.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 7/26/2020 11:49:54 AM >

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 2046
RE: Mar 2-3. 1944 - 7/26/2020 12:38:16 PM   
Bearcat2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

...and Japanese air transport I bet is super vigorous in this mod.....

Japanese Air Transport squadrons have not been increased in this mod

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2047
RE: Mar 2-3. 1944 - 7/26/2020 1:08:01 PM   
Anachro

With the next wave of invasion, additional supply will be brought in for Little Andaman sot he decimated air wings there can replenish. The few fighters I have there are set to LRCAP on PB. One turn has passed since the above. I sent ships to the try and pickup nav search from potential enemy carriers, but none were detected. However, the last turn saw my slowly departing BB Oklahoma and her TF detected and I immediately noticed a build up of ~55 enemy bombers on Port Blair (probably with an intention to finish off this BB, so I've moved my carriers towards PB to absorb any potential strike and decimate PB's airfields before finally retiring for refuel and refit. Some of my carriers have 12-14 system damage from continuous use and will need repair, soon. I might let them conduct minor repairs for 2-3 days as all will be needed to cover future landings.

The strait of Malacca is now heavily covered by subs.

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 2048
RE: Feb.28, 1944 - Battles in the Andaman Sea, Cont. - 7/26/2020 1:26:49 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

He tends to have a lot of bluster in his messages, somtimes founded, sometimes put there as an attempt by him to manipulate my own actions when putting in orders I suspect.

I always wonder why players get so caught up in email psyops / deep thought meta / whatever. When you post these messages that's a clear indication that his silly head games are having an effect on you. At *zero* cost to him.

Ignore these emails across the board. In your head you should read *all* text in the email as saying "here's the turn". Nothing more. Nothing less. Anything further is akin to listening the CCP state media / propaganda or the mouth of Sauron.

If you listen to it and try to make sense of it, you're wasting your effort. If you *act* upon what it says, you're allowing yourself to be victimized. Don't be that guy.

While each of us recognizes that the meta game is there, Walter and I limit it to what's on the board and do not engage in psychological swordplay in our messages. We have the occasional 'take that!' type joke buts that's it. Nemo loves the meta-swordplay and the way he uses it is probably a great life teaching experience for his opponents. Engaging in it is a valid approach and I respect it, but as a personal preference, like you, I don't want it in my own games.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2049
RE: Mar 2-3. 1944 - 7/26/2020 6:44:30 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bearcat2

Is your observation regarding the number of squadrons in the OOB or does it also include squadron size? An 'upsized' squadron / sentai going from 24 aircraft to 36 or 42 aircraft would be more vigorous even if there weren't more squadrons per se. Same with the range/SR ratings of the amphibious or LB air transports.

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 2050
RE: Mar 2-3. 1944 - 7/26/2020 8:53:21 PM   
Bearcat2

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bearcat2

Is your observation regarding the number of squadrons in the OOB or does it also include squadron size? An 'upsized' squadron / sentai going from 24 aircraft to 36 or 42 aircraft would be more vigorous even if there weren't more squadrons per se. Same with the range/SR ratings of the amphibious or LB air transports.

Same size Squadrons

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2051
RE: Mar 2-3. 1944 - 7/26/2020 9:07:26 PM   
Anachro

Got the next turn, I'll give an actual update on the next one. I made the note that John commented in an email that it's nice to know where all my carriers are. Interestingly, for the last few turns sigint has showed heavy radio activity mooing south down from Tokyo in the direction of the Marianas. Sigint has also said xxxBrigade is on its way to Saipan; sigint has also said xxxBrigade is planning an attack on Wake Island, and some other brigade is planning an attack on Midway. John also just bombarded Wake Island with a CB force. Frankly, I couldn't care less about Wake, but perhaps I can spring something on him here. Some reinforcements are now headed to the island, as well as supply. Lots of subs and mines are on their way; and the CVE fleet (and a CV) as well as a very large number of BBs, cruisers, and DDs are on their way to be ready for intercept. Of course, if John has heavy cover in the form of CVs, I'll hang back, rather than risk my ships. Could be interesting, however.

John has a propensity to go raiding even deep into the game like this, so chances he could try an invasion are not low.

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 2052
RE: Mar 2-3. 1944 - 7/26/2020 9:15:27 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

John has a propensity to go raiding even deep into the game like this, so chances he could try an invasion are not low.

Aye. But the odds of him pulling off a successful one against Wake at this (comparatively) late dateline is.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 2053
Mar. 6th, 1944 - 7/27/2020 4:15:35 PM   
Anachro

Mar. 6th, 1944

Ah, but it does seem be like that. Definitely brigades moving closer with planning for both Wake and Midway. Midway won't fall, but I have neglected Wake a bit, so who knows. Supply and some AV reinforcements on the way to Wake. Not much to report elsewhere; my CVs head to Ceylon for refuel and refit without issue. I do think BB Oklahoma is in the clear now, at least from enemy attack (barring a random unseen sub).

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2054
RE: Mar. 6th, 1944 - 7/27/2020 5:34:48 PM   
Lowpe

Their water pump broke!

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 2055
RE: Mar 2-3. 1944 - 7/27/2020 7:43:30 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Got the next turn, I'll give an actual update on the next one. I made the note that John commented in an email that it's nice to know where all my carriers are. Interestingly, for the last few turns sigint has showed heavy radio activity mooing south down from Tokyo in the direction of the Marianas. Sigint has also said xxxBrigade is on its way to Saipan; sigint has also said xxxBrigade is planning an attack on Wake Island, and some other brigade is planning an attack on Midway. John also just bombarded Wake Island with a CB force. Frankly, I couldn't care less about Wake, but perhaps I can spring something on him here. Some reinforcements are now headed to the island, as well as supply. Lots of subs and mines are on their way; and the CVE fleet (and a CV) as well as a very large number of BBs, cruisers, and DDs are on their way to be ready for intercept. Of course, if John has heavy cover in the form of CVs, I'll hang back, rather than risk my ships. Could be interesting, however.

I could state something about cows using the radio to talk but I think that they would rather just listen to the music.

Yes, from what I have read, John does like to strike even sometimes when he should not or without due precautions. Of course, the precautions could also warn the enemy so there is a choice either way.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 2056
RE: Mar 2-3. 1944 - 7/28/2020 3:59:03 PM   
Anachro

Next turn, but nothing happening. I'll update when we get to more interesting things. Reinforcements heading to Wake, but given its proximity to enemy airfields I might need a small CVE detachment to provide some air cover. Not sure yet if I want to do that or just risk it. On another note, I completely forgot about some CVE/Slow BB/CA/DD reinforcements I sent back to Pearl Harbor, they are 2 days south of PH at the moment. More reinforcements to help fight off any Wake or Midway operation.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 2057
RE: Mar. 6th, 1944 - 7/28/2020 4:22:11 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Their water pump broke!

My response: That's funny-AF!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2058
RE: Mar. 6th, 1944 - 7/28/2020 4:52:09 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Their water pump broke!

So what? The sea is all around them and they can haul water in buckets .... oh, wait ... the fresh water condenser is broke too? Now they are really screwed and the Japanese will have to bring their own condenser.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2059
RE: Mar. 6th, 1944 - 7/29/2020 9:57:59 PM   
Anachro

Through a nice confluence of things arriving at PH as I discovered this potential invasion, I will have a lot of CVEs, a CV, maybe a CVL for the operation. This gives me around ~400 A/C, mostly fighters to provide aircover from KB2 while my SCTFs do the work. Still waiting to see if John's forces appear. I opted to keep my units back by a dot hex between Midway and Pearl Harbor.

I had set a bunch of stuff to upgrade and promptly forgot, therefore a number of British/Australian DDs, 3-4 USN CAs, and 2 Lexington-class CVs go into upgrade at Colombo. Fortunately, one CV at Capetown (CV Hornet I believe as I'm typing this from memory) finishes repair tomorrow and will be joining her fellow ships soon. Luckily, none of the upgrades seem to be more than ~30 days.

This shouldn't slow down planned additional landings.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 7/29/2020 10:02:45 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2060
RE: Mar. 6th, 1944 - 7/30/2020 12:11:36 AM   
Anachro

On my fast 38-knot CM's trip to Wake, it runs its 3-4 Japanese subs trying to take shots at it 4-6 hexes east of Wake. Hmm, John seems to have some sort of sub cordon around Wake. I wonder why... I guess this is one way to make Japanese subs use up their torpedoes.

quote:

Sub attack near Wake Island at 138,98

Japanese Ships
SS I-191

Allied Ships
CM Ariadne

SS I-191 launches 4 torpedoes
I-191 diving deep ....
Sub escapes detection

quote:

Sub attack near Wake Island at 137,98

Japanese Ships
SS I-31

Allied Ships
CM Ariadne

SS I-31 launches 4 torpedoes at CM Ariadne
Sub escapes detection

quote:

Sub attack near Wake Island at 137,98

Japanese Ships
SS I-30

Allied Ships
CM Ariadne

SS I-30 launches 4 torpedoes at CM Ariadne
I-30 diving deep ....
Sub escapes detection

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 2061
RE: Mar. 6th, 1944 - 7/30/2020 1:19:34 AM   
BBfanboy

Now he will know that Wake has new minefields. Just another problem for him to address, but the more problems there are, the more likely something gets forgotten!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 2062
RE: Mar. 6th, 1944 - 7/30/2020 3:29:47 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Their water pump broke!

So what? The sea is all around them and they can haul water in buckets .... oh, wait ... the fresh water condenser is broke too? Now they are really screwed and the Japanese will have to bring their own condenser.

Mr Literal trying to spoil my humor. For shame.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2063
RE: Mar. 6th, 1944 - 7/30/2020 1:22:59 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Their water pump broke!

Mr Literal trying to spoil my humor. For shame.

I took your reference to mean the trick the US pulled to find out the Japanese were going for Midway, but the message they floated was not about a water pump - it was about the fresh water condenser. Just trying to keep history accurate ...

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2064
RE: Mar. 6th, 1944 - 7/30/2020 1:29:07 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

I took your reference to mean the trick the US pulled to find out the Japanese were going for Midway, but the message they floated was not about a water pump - it was about the fresh water condenser. Just trying to keep history accurate ...

I bet it is movie history accurate, and we all know that is what counts.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2065
Mar. 12th, 1944 - 7/30/2020 8:36:58 PM   
Anachro

Mar. 12th, 1944

Seeing a few xAKs providing supply triggers an immediate response from John. Not being very subtle about it. There is heavy radio activity at Saipan... I'll hang my reinforcements back for now and let supply unload from one xAK while 2 more sit in port. I hope the subs and maybe a mine gets John's ships. I now have SCTFs and 400 planes, mostly fighters, in CVE/CV air cover south of Midway.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 7/30/2020 8:38:32 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2066
RE: Mar. 12th, 1944 - 7/30/2020 8:47:07 PM   
Q-Ball

Think you have enough subs west of Wake Island?

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 2067
RE: Mar. 12th, 1944 - 7/30/2020 9:03:42 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Think you have enough subs west of Wake Island?

I suggest to draw a big arrow with those subs pointing west, so that John understands he's been found out

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 2068
RE: Mar. 12th, 1944 - 7/30/2020 9:15:28 PM   
Anachro

Haha, I'd like to spring a surprise, sure, but I also won't mind if John calls off the operation. On top of Wake, he has shown interest in Midway (forgot to mention but he had a sub snooping around and using its floatplane to recon; 3 DEs sank it last turn), he is also recon'ing Manus over in the SoPac, which we have build up to a 6 port / 6 AF for now. Manus has ~150 AV and forts so I am not super worried at the moment.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 2069
RE: Mar. 12th, 1944 - 7/31/2020 12:24:33 PM   
Lowpe

If I had to guess, Japan is playing you hoping to get you to draw forces here, rather than the Port Blair axis of attack.

Misdirection.

I do know that Japan is seriously beefed up...but he is facing a crisis in Burma.

You should not let slip the initiative.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 7/31/2020 12:25:45 PM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 2070
Page:   <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Feb.28, 1944 - Battles in the Andaman Sea, Cont. Page: <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI