Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: NEW: State of the Game and Future Plans as of June 2018

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: NEW: State of the Game and Future Plans as of June 2018 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NEW: State of the Game and Future Plans as of June ... - 7/18/2019 9:30:12 PM   
Daniel Amieiro

Great Bill. It's a luxury having people like you fixing the code and evolving it

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 31
RE: NEW: State of the Game and Future Plans as of June ... - 7/19/2019 12:09:15 AM   
Agathosdaimon

wow this is great, such good work on ironing out the little issues on such a grand game. With all these fixes like the Loaned units - are these fixes that are just for the multiplayer or are they fixing issues for the singleplayer also?

(in reply to Daniel Amieiro)
Post #: 32
RE: NEW: State of the Game and Future Plans as of June ... - 7/28/2019 11:43:08 PM   
pzgndr

Some good news and bad news for this past week. I made good progress on fixing several of the loaned fleet bugs. Naval interceptions and naval combats are working well. I still need to verify some of my fixes for blockade actions.

The bad news is that I did something to corrupt my development version such that the main screen is not displaying any of the action buttons on the top menu bar. I've reinstalled twice and not getting it to work right. This is frustrating beyond words. I was optimistic that I would wrap things up yesterday but now I've spent a day trying to recover and not getting anywhere.

FWIW, the "problems" with loaned fleets is that the code deals with unit nation, and loaned fleets under control are seen as units of the controlling nation. There is an 'oldnation' setting which was sometimes used for land units but not so much for fleets. So the grunt work involved has been to find and update all sections of code to also check for oldnation status, whether at war with another target nation or not. For naval interceptions, for example, the code needs to check for both loaned interception fleets that may not be at war and for loaned target fleets that may not be at war. It's been a challenge to find and fix all of these code sections.

I will continue to deal with my development version and get it running again sooner or later.

Bill
Empires in Arms Development Team

(in reply to Daniel Amieiro)
Post #: 33
RE: NEW: State of the Game and Future Plans as of June ... - 7/29/2019 1:50:01 AM   
DonCzirr

Thanks for your continued efforts Bill and good luck with the recovery.

Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 34
RE: NEW: State of the Game and Future Plans as of June ... - 8/4/2019 6:07:17 PM   
pzgndr

Alright, I am back on track. Apparently I did something to corrupt one of the files in the \Data folder (Wars of Napoleon, wgs_default_settings, or wgsfunctions), so when I reinstalled v1.22.02 and copied over my development files from v1.23 I also brought over whatever problem I had. I knew it was not a code change issue but it wasn't clear what the issue was or how to fix it. Anyways, all is well now for the time being.

So here's what I've been doing. If you go back to Loaned Unit Behaviors, that Mantis issue #772 provides my a test plan. I've been running the case where Spain and Turkey are at war and Turkey is allied with neutral Britain. Most of these bugs are now fixed. I still have a couple more to resolve. And then there are cases with Turkey loaning corps to Britain, and with Britain and Spain at war and Spain is allied with neutral Russia. I am stepping through these cases to verify bugs are fixed. That's the plan. There is light at the end of the tunnel...

Bill

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 35
RE: NEW: State of the Game and Future Plans as of June ... - 9/1/2019 6:28:16 PM   
pzgndr

Latest update. I am cautiously optimistic that all loaned unit changes are now implemented and working satisfactorily. This has been complicated, involving all aspects of loaned corps and loaned fleet movements and combats. Most movement and combat issues were straightforward. Naval interceptions were tricky. Port blockade and city siege actions were trickier. I am not 100% sure that everything is correct for all cases, but I've playtested most situations and things appear OK. I do want to continue with some other playtesting to ensure gameplay looks OK.

So. I need to spend a couple weeks updating documentation and preparing files for Matrix. I would like to wrap up and have all that done by end of September, so then we might be looking at a beta release in October. With all of the changes in v1.23 and the addition of updated 1812 scenarios, I would like a couple of months of community feedback before going final. Plus, I can work on some more minor improvements for official release. So that's the plan.

Bill

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 36
RE: NEW: State of the Game and Future Plans as of June ... - 9/10/2019 12:41:20 AM   
pzgndr

OK, user manual and in-game manual updates are pretty much done. Things are looking good for v1.23. I am continuing to playtest some loaned unit situations and fixing what I can.

Here's an example of what was nagging me this past weekend with playtesting. France at war with Prussia, Prussia allied with neutral Austria. France besieges Weimar. Austria moves a loaned Prussian corps to Weimar and the move into the city is blocked. That's fixed; the loaned Prussian corps was previously able to move into and out of the city despite the siege. Odd. Next, a Prussian corps moves in to lift the siege and field combat ensues. The loaned Prussian corps previously did not join the battle. It should; what, a Prussian corps would stand by and watch? The code has other checks for units moving into an area with enemy units present, but moving out of a city (besieging box) was not checked. So I added another check to return any loaned friendly units in this case, and now both the lifting siege corps and previously loaned corps join the battle. If this sounds confusing, believe me the code is more confusing. Trying to find and fix little stuff like this involving loaned unit status and getting these odd situations to work correctly is challenging. The good news is that most of this is working now and I don't have any other obvious nagging concerns. Except naval interceptions; I want to playtest a couple of situations to verify those are working after other changes I made earlier. We're getting close!

Bill

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: NEW: State of the Game and Future Plans as of June 2018 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI