Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Random Questions from a New Player

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Random Questions from a New Player Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/14/2018 6:34:48 PM   
BillBrown

P-38s make good sweepers, but not very good CAP aircraft. For a good CAP aircraft you need an aircraft that
can climb good and has good maneuverability. High durability also helps, but the pilots will make the most
difference.

(in reply to brian800000)
Post #: 91
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/14/2018 7:16:39 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

P-38s make good sweepers, but not very good CAP aircraft. For a good CAP aircraft you need an aircraft that
can climb good and has good maneuverability. High durability also helps, but the pilots will make the most
difference.

What he said.

Pilot inexperience is a bigger factor in your current mismatch than airframe disparity.

P40s with trained pilots stand up well against at least early model Zeros.

However, you won't rule the skies until the P47 and Corsair arrive.

Hans

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 92
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/14/2018 7:47:54 PM   
btd64

I shot down 21 zeros in one turn with P-40B's. I lost 4. The pilots made the difference....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 93
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/14/2018 7:48:57 PM   
btd64

I did have an altitude advantage as well....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 94
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/14/2018 8:44:16 PM   
rustysi

I was making a response when the server threw me out. Essentially it was what was said above. Train, train, train. Even P-40's will hold up if trained and not badly outnumbered. Not the best, but they can do. Just look at your AVG group.

As for the 'boats' I've not much idea why they won't attack. Sorry.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 95
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/27/2018 7:27:55 PM   
brian800000

New discussion point! :)

Artillery...I get the point of all the other types of infantry units. I'm not sure what to do with artillery though. I'm kind of just trying to sprinkle them in with my other units. Some artillery should be with infantry and armor...but aside from that random observation, what does artillery actually do? Can it stand on its own to defend an island or base (i'm thinking not)?

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 96
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/27/2018 8:38:11 PM   
dasboot1960

Some arty could fire in a coast defence role, but I'm pretty sure any unit caught in a ground assault defending with no AV will be overrun. I think it will be killed, perhaps it could retreat, but an overrun seems most likely to me.

Down like a CLOWN!

Post #: 97
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/28/2018 3:00:24 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: dasboot1960

Some arty could fire in a coast defence role, but I'm pretty sure any unit caught in a ground assault defending with no AV will be overrun. I think it will be killed, perhaps it could retreat, but an overrun seems most likely to me.

This is true in a single base island where the arty unit has no place to go, but the guns can cause a lot of casualties as they fight to the last. NEVER shock attack into a heavy artillery concentration. A DA will have almost as good results while having fewer casualties.
Some units like Marine Defence Battalions have a small AV as well.

On a large land mass with several enemy bases, it is very hard to "overrun" an arty unit - they are programmed to retire before that happens. And in bombing from the air I find it hard to destroy guns, perhaps because they are "heavy metal" and it takes a direct hit to knock one out. But a low level Ground Attack by fighters (strafing and bombing) seems to be better at destroying them.

As for the purpose of artillery - it's all about firepower. The combat calculations adjust AV with the power of the weapons (among other things) so you need arty to blast the enemy out of defensive forts/terrain or to blast enemy attackers after they leave their cover. Incidentally, the best LCU to interdict enemy artillery is your own bigger and longer-ranged artillery.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to dasboot1960)
Post #: 98
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/28/2018 7:01:10 AM   
Schorsch

it is especially useful vs "chinese doomstacks"

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 99
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/28/2018 7:08:41 AM   
Barb

Artillery = Suppression!

Regular land combat:
It may not cause a lot of direct casualties, or squad disablements, but will raise enemy disruption and fatigue during the combat. That will come into consideration during assault calculations. In big numbers, open terrain, low exp unit opponent they can wear down enemy units by disabling/preventing recuperation (while your front line guys rests). The longer range and caliber of artillery the higher chance of destroying hit (thus 81mm Mortars, 75mm guns, 105mm guns, 25pdrs, etc are more of suppressors, while 150/203mm/320mm guns are killers).

The effectiveness of artillery fire can be countered by terrain, fortifications, high exp, number of support squads present, good leaders - and your own long range counter-battery fire (big long range guns), or air bombing them.

Do not leave artillery without protection of other untis, or they will get their asses kicked easily by smallest enemy combat unit - or evaporate under concentrated attack from air in a single turn.

< Message edited by Barb -- 9/28/2018 7:11:04 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 100
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/28/2018 8:07:04 AM   
inqistor

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian800000

Artillery...I get the point of all the other types of infantry units. I'm not sure what to do with artillery though. I'm kind of just trying to sprinkle them in with my other units. Some artillery should be with infantry and armor...but aside from that random observation, what does artillery actually do? Can it stand on its own to defend an island or base (i'm thinking not)?

If your guns have greater range, than enemy guns, they will suppress their fire. So it is wise to have artillery if you are expecting long siege.
Also, every gun tends to fire against unloading ships, but most guns have really low accuracy, and barely hits (that's why CD guns are better).

And every support squad in defence adds 1/10th point of AV. Not much, but may defeat air drop, especially with some forts. Generally, before calculating AV difference, every Device tries to hit enemy. So with enough guns, you can suppress whole enemy stack, and they will have no AV to fight.

Post #: 101
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/28/2018 10:02:37 AM   
Yaab

quote:

New discussion point! :)

Don't miss the hidden potential of 37mm AT guns used by US divisions against enemy infantry
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3814292&mpage=1&key=�

Post #: 102
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/29/2018 4:38:36 PM   
wegman58

As we have a discussion going - I'm playing against the computer, and Rangoon has survived. June 1943 and there has been more aviation carnage here than on the rest of the map combined I think. Rangoon is built to Fortifications 9 (I WISH the machine would assault) and the forces of Imperial Japan bombard every day. And take casualties between 5 to 1 or 10 to 1 in the favor of the allies.

I don't have any dedicated artillery, but I do have divisions with the divisional artillery - hundreds of guns (on both sides). When the Allies bombard, no casualties either side are listed. Now that I'm confident in my ability to keep Rangoon supplied, is it worth bombarding them with artillery as well as from the skies?

Even with no casualties are the bombardments doing anything?

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 103
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/29/2018 4:42:11 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: wegman58

As we have a discussion going - I'm playing against the computer, and Rangoon has survived. June 1943 and there has been more aviation carnage here than on the rest of the map combined I think. Rangoon is built to Fortifications 9 (I WISH the machine would assault) and the forces of Imperial Japan bombard every day. And take casualties between 5 to 1 or 10 to 1 in the favor of the allies.

I don't have any dedicated artillery, but I do have divisions with the divisional artillery - hundreds of guns (on both sides). When the Allies bombard, no casualties either side are listed. Now that I'm confident in my ability to keep Rangoon supplied, is it worth bombarding them with artillery as well as from the skies?

Even with no casualties are the bombardments doing anything?

Yes, It effects disruption of the enemy. Casualties or not....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to wegman58)
Post #: 104
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 9/30/2018 1:32:04 AM   
BBfanboy

And the enemy will use supply trying to counter-bombard. You can afford the supply - the IJA can't.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 105
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 10/4/2018 2:31:16 PM   
brian800000

A new question on LCU upgrades. :)

I've turned off automatic upgrades on my LCUs, so I can control myself. However, I note that the manual states:

"Upgrades occur automatically and cannot be stopped from happening as long as sufficient new items are in the pool and the unit has access to sufficient supplies."

Is the manual incorrect on this count? (I'm thinking so, having read the forums)

Also, how can I tell if an upgrade is available? Does this show in the tracker as "TOE up"? As in, if there is a number of 0 in the tracker, an upgrade is available; otherwise I need to wait the number of days showing in the tracker?

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 106
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 10/5/2018 9:07:29 AM   
inqistor

There are two types of upgrades:

1. Devices (most notably - infantry squads). You have to check Devices list, at "upgrades" field, to see if upgrade will be available, and when. If you are using latest beta, there will be = sign, if Device can be upgraded. In case of Allies, production is small, so you have to be careful, and fill only one LCU at a time. In case of Japan, there are already better Tanks available at game start, but you don't have enough Vehicle Points, to fill all your LCUs.

2. TOE upgrade. Just check TOE link, under list of Devices in LCU. It will show you current TOE, and dates for upgrades.

Post #: 107
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 10/5/2018 2:46:26 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: inqistor

1. Devices (most notably - infantry squads). You have to check Devices list, at "upgrades" field, to see if upgrade will be available, and when. If you are using latest beta, there will be = sign, if Device can be upgraded. In case of Allies, production is small, so you have to be careful, and fill only one LCU at a time. In case of Japan, there are already better Tanks available at game start, but you don't have enough Vehicle Points, to fill all your LCUs.

2. TOE upgrade. Just check TOE link, under list of Devices in LCU. It will show you current TOE, and dates for upgrades.

I checked a couple of LCUs using their individual TOE buttons and there is no date shown for TOE upgrades.
BUT, I looked at the list of all LCUs in the hex (red flag at bottom left of base screen, or click on the LCU icon on the map (only works for two or more LCUs). Then I clicked on the "Show Soft" button on the upper right of the LCU list, et voilà, the right had side of the list now shows the TOE updates in a column, and the % TOE of the unit in the next column.

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 108
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 10/5/2018 3:45:31 PM   
brian800000

Awesome--huge help!!!

So it seems there are two types of upgrades:

-device upgrades, and
-TOE upgrades (rarer)

There is the "upgrades on/off" toggle--if I leave that on does that enable both, and if I leave it off it disables both?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 109
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 10/5/2018 5:08:18 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Awesome--huge help!!!

So it seems there are two types of upgrades:

-device upgrades, and
-TOE upgrades (rarer)

There is the "upgrades on/off" toggle--if I leave that on does that enable both, and if I leave it off it disables both?

The TOE (Table of Establishment - an official document that authorities have approved, listing the organization, manpower and equipment the unit is entitled to hold) itself will upgrade regardless, but you need to put the unit in Rest mode before the TOE will change.

Leaving the Upgrades - OFF in place will inhibit actual device upgrades unless the pool for a given device is getting full. In that event, the game engine will start allocating the new device to the first eligible unit that has them in the TOE. I believe this is what the manual meant by saying you cannot prevent upgrades from happening.

Post #: 110
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 10/6/2018 3:55:52 PM   
inqistor

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

I checked a couple of LCUs using their individual TOE buttons and there is no date shown for TOE upgrades.
BUT, I looked at the list of all LCUs in the hex (red flag at bottom left of base screen, or click on the LCU icon on the map (only works for two or more LCUs). Then I clicked on the "Show Soft" button on the upper right of the LCU list, et voilà, the right had side of the list now shows the TOE updates in a column, and the % TOE of the unit in the next column.

If "The TOE of this unit includes" is in yellow, it should be possible to click it, and date will appear. Unless, that is beta feature, but I don't think so:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 111
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 10/6/2018 5:50:28 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

If "The TOE of this unit includes" is in yellow, it should be possible to click it, and date will appear. Unless, that is beta feature, but I don't think so:

I do not use the Beta and I do not get that date info on the TOE button screen, so it must be a Beta or other mod feature.

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 112
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 10/13/2018 10:27:45 PM   
brian800000

I'm back!

For the life of me, I can't figure out governs whether I can reinforce air groups. For example, I moved some bombers to Perth for ASW early in the war, and haven't checked them since. I have the right bombers in the pool, but can't reinforce. Fair enough, supply is about 5k, maybe that is the problem. However, then I check some bombers on Ambon which has a similar level of supply and I can reinforce!

The manual has the following, but it can't be right, because I can reinforce Hudsons on Ambon which is under 20k of supply - reading the rules it seems like that should not be possible.

"Air units will automatically gain replacements under certain circumstances if aircraft are available in the replacement pool and the air unit has been set to Accept Replacements. To get replacement aircraft to flow automatically into an air unit, there must be planes in the pool and one of the following cases must be true (the first true will take effect):

The air unit is located at a base with an airfield size of 1+ (or 0 if a float-equipped group and the base is in a coastal hex) and the base has over 20,000 supplies. Supplies will be expended at the base and the unit will receive damaged planes from the pool (they may repair before the next orders phase during the repair phase).

» The air unit is located at a base and the HQ that the group is assigned to is within transfer range of the air unit’s aircraft type, and the HQ is located at a base with an airfield size of 1+ and has over 20,000 supplies. Supplies will be expended at the HQ base and the unit will receive damaged planes from the pool.

» The air unit is located at a base and the Command level HQ that the group is assigned to is within transfer range of the air unit’s aircraft type, and the Command HQ is located at a base with over 20,000 supplies. Supplies will be expended at the HQ base and the unit will receive damaged planes from the pool.

» The air unit is located on a ship and a replenishment air unit is within normal range of the ship, the unit will receive planes from the replenishment unit instead of the pool.

» The air unit is located on a ship in the same hex as a base with an airfield size of 1+ (TF or at anchor) and the base has over 20000 supplies. Supplies will be expended at the base and the unit will receive damaged planes from the pool."

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 113
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 10/14/2018 7:11:54 AM   
BBfanboy

It is confusing, but the upgrade can occur if the appropriate HQ is within the aircraft transfer range (around 36 for a Hudson?) and the HQ's base has the necessary supply. The HQ's base pays the supply cost for the aircraft and it automatically transfers to the air unit.

You haven't said if you have set the air unit to upgrade to the available aircraft. In several of the Australian units you have to pay PP to get the desired aircraft on the upgrade path. I leave many of my Australian units with their Wirraways rather than pay the PP to get them an aircraft with decent range and bomb load.
Some of these Wirraway units can upgrade without PP cost to the Vengeance dive bomber, but that is not available until much later in the game.

Post #: 114
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 10/14/2018 12:59:37 PM   
brian800000

quote:

It is confusing, but the upgrade can occur if the appropriate HQ is within the aircraft transfer range (around 36 for a Hudson?) and the HQ's base has the necessary supply. The HQ's base pays the supply cost for the aircraft and it automatically transfers to the air unit.

You haven't said if you have set the air unit to upgrade to the available aircraft. In several of the Australian units you have to pay PP to get the desired aircraft on the upgrade path. I leave many of my Australian units with their Wirraways rather than pay the PP to get them an aircraft with decent range and bomb load.
Some of these Wirraway units can upgrade without PP cost to the Vengeance dive bomber, but that is not available until much later in the game.

I'm not talking about upgrades, but just replacements...perhaps they are the same?

What determines the appropriate HQ? Will any air HQ do?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 115
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 10/14/2018 4:23:04 PM   
inqistor

quote:

I'm not talking about upgrades, but just replacements...perhaps they are the same?

You can check, to which HQ Air Units belongs to, on its screen. CV units have independent there.
And remember, that transfer range can be over 50 hexes, so your Ambon Bombers can get replacements even from Singapore, if HQ is there.
One more thing, replacements can be drawn only once a week (IIRC), so if unit got some planes recently, you must wait few days for another go. And also check if there is arrow, for reserve planes. Your unit can be at maximum already, because of fragments somewhere else on map. So no extra planes as replacements, but you can draw some reserve manually.

Post #: 116
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 10/14/2018 8:33:08 PM   
brian800000

quote:

quote:

You can check, to which HQ Air Units belongs to, on its screen. CV units have independent there.
And remember, that transfer range can be over 50 hexes, so your Ambon Bombers can get replacements even from Singapore, if HQ is there.
One more thing, replacements can be drawn only once a week (IIRC), so if unit got some planes recently, you must wait few days for another go. And also check if there is arrow, for reserve planes. Your unit can be at maximum already, because of fragments somewhere else on map. So no extra planes as replacements, but you can draw some reserve manually.

Oops...so in theory, lets say I bought out the AVG to defend the skies of Burma...And attached them to the Hawaiian Air Command...I'll basically never be able to reinforce them without buying them out again, will I?

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 117
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 10/15/2018 12:19:35 AM   
Schorsch

a base with 20k supply will do in that case

Post #: 118
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 10/15/2018 12:02:16 PM   
HansBolter

Replacement airframes also have quantity and time limitations.

You can only pull 12 airframes at a time per squadron every 7 days.

Hover the mouse pointer over the "replacement" text and it will show the number of days delay until that squadron can pull replacements.

It will also show reasons why a squadron can't pull replacements if that is the case.

There is a plethora of fly out highlight info available in the interface if you look for it.

Hans

(in reply to Schorsch)
Post #: 119
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 10/15/2018 9:07:25 PM   
inqistor

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oops...so in theory, lets say I bought out the AVG to defend the skies of Burma...And attached them to the Hawaiian Air Command...I'll basically never be able to reinforce them without buying them out again, will I?

In theory that eliminates one of replacement possibilities. However, there is possibility to be in range of Command HQ (which is probably West Coast for Hawaii, so even farther (: ). First possibility is, to be in Base with 20k supply.
However, there is additional rule, and Air Unit can have fragment created in Home Base as replacement, but you have to move them to front manually. That is automatic, but I have seen this maybe twice, so far.

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Random Questions from a New Player Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI