Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Vichy pros and cons

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Vichy pros and cons Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vichy pros and cons - 8/22/2018 3:11:44 AM   
ThunderLizard11

Still trying to win as Axis on '39 start. Tried Sealion and then no Sealion and still getting crushed late '42 by Soviets. I read one suggestion to not take Vichy decision. Does this make sense?
Post #: 1
RE: Vichy pros and cons - 8/22/2018 6:07:14 PM   
Zuxius

Well, it’s really about an expanded strategy to use all your German Forces to their upt most ability, IF you are certain you’re going for England first. Amphibious investment is a must. Your posturing of your forces would include taking Algeria/Tunisia. This would be done by sending your own German forces to Afrika, prior to getting the DAK. I would also say, it would be waaaay more than 3-4 units. You don’t want to muddle around in Algeria. This is where the French capital will be moved to once you take all of France. While you are doing this, Sea Lion should be fully underway. You must dominate the island and it’s Protestant satellite in Ireland. You’ll also have your German Air Force and Italian Navy hammering Malta with your paratrooper waiting to drop once the AA unit is fully destroyed. Careful with your Italian Navy... You should have about 2-3 German tanks in Afrika. 1-2 pushing against the French for their ultimate surrender and 1-2 helping the Italians take Egypt.

The goal, for all this, is to see that the Spanish join you at a hefty price. You will be offered to pay for them to join you at like 800 MP (I think 200 MP a turn for four turns), which will give you access to taking Gibraltar. The Economy and access to their units is really what you’ve been working towards by going after France all this time. I believe you need a 20-25% Axis leaning in Spain for them to offer this.

Unquestionably, you’ll also be fighting the British fleet tooth and nail. Subs destroy capital ships well when highly supplied. Capital ships destroy destroyers very well. Never lose a ship. Never.

So, as you can see, you’ll be quite busy as things whirl towards 1941. Watch closely as Russia starts to become more belligerent in Diplomacy. During this strat, I have sent 200 cost diplomacy towards the U.S. to deliberately stall their early entry. I’m talking 600-800 MP of course. At 200 a pop, for a 1941 Dec 7th entry, it allows you unfettered beatings on the war weary British.

With any luck, by 1941, you will have taken all of France, Spain will be in your pocket, your Germans will be mopping up in Scotland, you’ll be poised to invade Ireland, the British capital will be in exile in Canada, with Egypt firmly in your hand as you are tracking through to Iraq with eyes of Persia (to severe that aid which will come through there to Russia). Both Malta and Gibraltar are yours.

During all this, you should have engaged and destroyed the most reactionary part of the British fleet, and still fighting them fiercely. A fully expanded U-Boat fleet is a must. Fully upgraded fleet with Tech 2 Anti-Air is also recommended. Both Italian and German Aircraft carriers recommended. A fully upgraded Italian fleet is a goal as well. Destroying the allies at sea completely is an expensive endeavor, but fighting them at sea means you can send all your ground forces east. You’ll need every man you got to hold the tide.

By 1941, you’ll most likely have a joke for a Russian front, at best. Except, they’re a joke too. Take what you can, and then hold what you got.

On diplomacy you have to watch the US and Soviets carefully once you invade England. Until then, invest all your diplomacy into Yugoslavia. After playing enough games, I’ve come to realize this place is a headache for the Germans in too many ways. For one, they have auto events that happen at very untimely intervals. The worst is the coup that makes them allies during spring 1941. That’s unacceptable, especially given a soft 1941 fight against Russia during this strat. They’ll also trigger the Greeks to get very close to joining the fight against you, if not joining the Yugoslav outright. Sure, you can knock them out like batting away flies, but taking advantage of weak Russia is about being poised well, and really, you won’t be very well poised in 1941, and this will make that even worse. I have also found that once things get underway in Russia, you’ll need a massive garrison force to keep all the partisans down. The Germans don’t have enough to go around. The minor’s garrisons help, but when you’re looking to cover all your bases, there will be Yugoslavia and Greece, sitting there with 12 garrison units of yours, while you are using German Corps in Russia to keep the peace. Instead, invest in Yugoslavia from the moment you start the game, and get their military working for you instead of against you the whole game. I have had only one game where I lost them to the Decision Event paid for by the British. Naturally, the Italians have to throw in too.

Lastly, Sweden. Oh yeah, they truly have the crux that is missing to a real Axis Fleet. With Malta open, the Italian fleet can join the German one on the high seas of the Atlantic by 1941. With Egypt taken, and the last British stragglers gone, Italy can go to work in helping the greater Axis fleet to intercept and destroy all invasion fleets. Italy is kind of glass cannon-ish however because it really doesn’t have a good screening fleet. That is where Sweden comes in. They have many destroyers, light cruisers and even a heavy cruiser. They basically almost complete what you need to have the greatest fleet. Also, Spain offers up two support ships too. Couple that with the aircraft carriers of both Germany and Italy, there really is nothing to stop you considering all the deadly u-boats.

Take as long as you want with defeating the Russians, though buy all the German corps units before the Army units. Corps are to hold ground, cycle out, reinforce and then return to the front. Armies are for taking ground. In Russia you’ll need to hold ground at first.

If I had to pin exactly why to go for all of France it would be to foster a larger early economy, buy Spain with said economy while invading England.

The strategy leans towards a heavy navy, because of additional ships, ports and a freed up Italian Navy. The navy seems more fiscal because of all the additional coast you have to defend.

< Message edited by Zuxius -- 8/23/2018 6:46:47 PM >

(in reply to ThunderLizard11)
Post #: 2
RE: Vichy pros and cons - 8/22/2018 8:34:13 PM   
ThunderLizard11

Thanks for the ample tips

(in reply to Zuxius)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Vichy pros and cons Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI