Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 2/28/2019 1:15:30 PM   
Mike McCreery

Java has fallen, the PI is captured, MrKane is mopping up Mindano. Not sure whether he is going to attack Australia, Russia or India yet at this point. It is scenario one so he does not have the resources he did in the previous game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mike McCreery)
Post #: 31
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 2/28/2019 2:37:27 PM   
RangerJoe

Considering that he is past the invasion bonus, keep an eye on the unit's preparation and location. If they are in the CEA and preparing for New Zealand, that should be discounted. Some of the Soviet forces left at the beginning of May and more will leave in November.

But keep digging in the Soviets and training their air units. Once the fighter pilots have decent experience and skills, put some of them on CAP at range 0 with more training being conducted. They should help prevent the air units being caught on the ground.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 32
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 2/28/2019 3:02:43 PM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Considering that he is past the invasion bonus, keep an eye on the unit's preparation and location. If they are in the CEA and preparing for New Zealand, that should be discounted. Some of the Soviet forces left at the beginning of May and more will leave in November.

But keep digging in the Soviets and training their air units. Once the fighter pilots have decent experience and skills, put some of them on CAP at range 0 with more training being conducted. They should help prevent the air units being caught on the ground.

I am guessing that Chungking is going to have to fall and then give it maybe 2 - possibly 3 months for him to get his troops out of there and to the front lines ready for an assault. So I dont have to worry about this before August or possibly September.

All the ground units are training and I am keeping on top of upgrades. In January of 1943 the Soviets get to upgrade to 1943 infantry squads. By March they should all be upgraded and my fears will be lessened that he wants to start something here before August of 45.

There are several big plus minuses in this game.

MrKane demanded no 4EB night bombing of ports or airfields and no 4E Naval bombardment below 10K. This is going to make things tricky because air is his strength.

However, there is no stacking limit in this game which gives me the ability to deliver overwhelming forces to most locations and reduces a defenders abilities to respond to threats.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 33
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 2/28/2019 3:07:50 PM   
RangerJoe

No night bombing of ports or airfields is wrong. I would see about getting that changed so the Commonwealth forces with their obvious night bombers can do so as well as the relatively unarmed mark of the B-29.

― Julia Child

Post #: 34
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 2/28/2019 3:13:39 PM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

No night bombing of ports or airfields is wrong. I would see about getting that changed so the Commonwealth forces with their obvious night bombers can do so as well as the relatively unarmed mark of the B-29.

It's not negotiable. No worries, I can use 2EB and I can use the 4EB for night attacks on cities and resources.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 35
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 2/28/2019 3:45:19 PM   
Bif1961

However he didn't say no mining of ports by 4E bombers now did he?

Post #: 36
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 2/28/2019 3:48:40 PM   
Canoerebel

Unfortunately, mining does zilch. Zilch. Zero.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 37
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 3/10/2019 2:27:05 PM   
Mike McCreery

Early July 1942

I would love to discuss my plans but unfortunately people suck and every time I make the effort, someone decides to leak information to my opponents.

Quiet month as I move stuff around in the background. MrKane has not made any major moves on India or Australia and since it is a scenario 1 game I am not sure that he will but he is impatient sometimes so we shall see.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 38
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 3/10/2019 3:06:51 PM   
RangerJoe

Use his impatience to your advantage. Be ready to strike at multiple locations around the periphery. If he moves somewhere and you can't counter or don't want to counter, then strike. Depending upon the era for submarine torpedoes, have subs with good torpedoes waiting to harass his move. Use subs with bad torpedoes as scouts - when their torpedoes work, then be grateful for the present.

As far as someone or someones leaking information to your opponent, that is unethical. I don't understand why people should do that.

― Julia Child

Post #: 39
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 3/10/2019 4:28:56 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike McCreery
I would love to discuss my plans but unfortunately people suck and every time I make the effort, someone decides to leak information to my opponents.

Have faith in your opponent, this is why you are playing him in the first place, no?
MrKane does not have an AAR so leakages can only happen through direct communication with others, or him himself. Both of those assume his unethical behaviour, which is a bit much

Post #: 40
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 3/11/2019 12:18:09 AM   
Bif1961

OPSEC is vital maybe if you tried some disinformation campaign?

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 41
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 3/14/2019 11:19:52 AM   
Mike McCreery

End of July, 1942

MrKane is still mopping up in the DEI. No signs of major movement on the map. He is reinforcing Horn Island and Port Moresby but does not have a lot of strength in the area as of yet. I am positioning search aircraft to get a better picture of what is going on.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 42
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 3/25/2019 3:58:29 AM   
Mike McCreery

Mid September 1942

MrKane and I have been really sneaky about the location of our carrier groups. Havent seen either one since a few days after Pearl Harbor.

Fitting that we both got spotted on the same day. I am 2 hexes east of Cairns and MrKane is west of the Shortland islands.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 43
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 4/4/2019 4:43:25 PM   
Mike McCreery

MrKane figures out where most of my shipping is off the coast of Australia. He sends in a terrifying strike from the KB into an almost completely unprepared port with nearly 300 ships docked.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 44
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 4/4/2019 4:46:48 PM   
Mike McCreery

9 BB's in port took the brunt of the attack and shielded most of the other ships.... An AA unit in strategic mode might have helped keep some of the force occupied but I am uncertain of that.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 45
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 4/4/2019 4:50:17 PM   
Mike McCreery

This is probably the worst result the Japanese could possibly expect when attacking with nearly 270 bombers.

Apparently the god of dumbshits was looking down on me this morning.

P.S. The bulk of my cruisers and air craft carriers left this base 2 days ago to do upgrades so they just missed a bullet.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mike McCreery -- 4/4/2019 4:54:39 PM >

Post #: 46
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 4/7/2019 9:09:51 PM   
Mike McCreery

China surrenders on November 11, 1942 with nearly 640,000 troops surrendering at at 2-1 result.

MrKane has now pulled ahead and will win by VP at the end of the month. We intend to continue.

To assist me and make the game more interesting he has adjusted the database to give me about double the reinforcement aircraft that I am currently getting.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 47
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 4/7/2019 9:49:43 PM   
Anachro

How have there been so few aircraft losses? November '42 and only 308 A2A losses for the Allies / 196 for the Japs?

Post #: 48
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 4/8/2019 12:42:51 AM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

How have there been so few aircraft losses? November '42 and only 308 A2A losses for the Allies / 196 for the Japs?

I dont give him an opportunity to sweep into less than 200 fighters and he chooses not to do such.

I just tried to sweep him with 60 British fighters at max height and lost 36 for my trouble. So I dont sweep him much.

Also, I am not allowed to use 4EB on any night time port or naval attacks so either I have to use naval bombardment or 2EB if I dont want to try to meet his fighters in the air.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 49
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 4/8/2019 1:28:49 AM   
Canoerebel

Why will there by Auto Victory "at the end of the month"? AV isn't determined monthly. There are yearly threshholds, established on 1/1/4x. Any time that threshold is exceeded, on any day of any month, AV results.

Post #: 50
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 4/8/2019 9:42:36 AM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Why will there by Auto Victory "at the end of the month"? AV isn't determined monthly. There are yearly threshholds, established on 1/1/4x. Any time that threshold is exceeded, on any day of any month, AV results.

I should have said end of year, my mistake. In 1943 in less than 50 days he should be at 4 - 1 which is an auto victory.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 51
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 4/8/2019 1:01:36 PM   
Bif1961

You can still use your heavy bombers to night bomb his air fields?

Post #: 52
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 4/8/2019 6:04:46 PM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

You can still use your heavy bombers to night bomb his air fields?

No, per our rules I cannot use 4EB to night bomb air fields or ports. I also cannot use the 4EB's to bombard naval units at less than 10,000 feet.

It is relegating the 4EBs to strategic bombing & ground attacks (where I have no height limit).

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 53
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 4/9/2019 12:13:13 AM   
Mike McCreery

The silver lining - The only tactic I seem to know how to execute that does not have an easy counter for MrKane is the massed night bomber attack on cities. I had at least 11 wings of 4EB attempt to bomb Magwe at 15,000'. MrKane does not seem to have moved any heavy AA there so this height is pretty tolerable. Almost all of the fighters that he put up (at least 70) were damaged by the Allies. This has got to cost a lot of wear and tear on the Japanese air forces. One of the very few things I know to do to him.

We have been playing hide and seek along the Burma border.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 54
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 4/9/2019 1:27:29 PM   
Bif1961

When bombing at night I vary the height between the groups. You state there is no heavy AAA and therefore I would vary the bombing altitudes between 6,000 to 10,000 feet. I hardly ever lose a plane to AAA and by varying their altitudes he can't just set one altitude for his night fighters and making them more effective if you just come in and one altitude for the entire night of bombing. You could also vary from night to night and make him guess.

Post #: 55
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 4/18/2019 2:24:38 AM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

When bombing at night I vary the height between the groups. You state there is no heavy AAA and therefore I would vary the bombing altitudes between 6,000 to 10,000 feet. I hardly ever lose a plane to AAA and by varying their altitudes he can't just set one altitude for his night fighters and making them more effective if you just come in and one altitude for the entire night of bombing. You could also vary from night to night and make him guess.

Valid points and great when he puts his fighters below your bombers. Unfortunately, he got AA there the next turn and now I take damage even at 15K.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 56
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 4/18/2019 2:25:32 AM   
Mike McCreery

MrKane wins by VP victory again!

Fortunately for me we are going to continue the beating ;]

Attachment (1)

Post #: 57
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 4/19/2019 2:06:36 AM   
Bif1961

The sewer has backed up, so back on your heads!

Post #: 58
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 4/19/2019 1:21:47 PM   
HansBolter

Why do competitive games have such low victory scores?

I'm in October '45 of an Ironman AI game and victory points stand at 277k for the Allies to 77k for the Japanese.

The AI scored three times as many points against me as you scored against your opponent.

Hans

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 59
RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II - 4/19/2019 1:40:14 PM   
Canoerebel

Hans, you did your comparison wrong. The AI didn't score three times as many points against you as Wargamr scored against Mr. Kane. The AI scored three times as many points against you as Mr. Kane scored against Wargamr. If you meant to compare Japanese vs. Japanese score (77k in your game, something like 27k in Mr. Kane's game), the difference is easily and almost entirely due to the dates: late 1945 vs. late 1942. Three years is a long, long time for tallying points.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/19/2019 1:47:20 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: MrKane vs Wargamer part II Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI