Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Is there an online version of the manual

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Is there an online version of the manual Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Is there an online version of the manual - 10/26/2018 6:42:08 PM   
MBF

Northern Maine in the winter - often can't see the north star cause the northern lights are too bright on some nights

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 31
RE: Is there an online version of the manual - 10/26/2018 7:20:01 PM   
HansBolter

Florida is a horrid climate for stargazing due to our high humidity.

Our struggle is with dew. Glass and metal surfaces rapidly cool to below ambient temperature inviting condensation.

We mount strip heaters on our primary mirrors, wrap them around our optical tubes and eyepieces and as a last resort break out a hair dryer.

I keep my eyepieces and binoculars arrayed on a table between two heating pads to keep them dry.

The best stargazing time in Florida is winter, just on the heels of a cold front when we sometimes see the humidity drop to around 20%.

I have had my best stargazing experiences in 26 degree weather with ice forming on the equipment at 4:00 AM.

I've spent most of my life in the constantly worsening light pollution of the Bay area.

We really did manage to find what is close to the darkest sky in the state.

The Gulf Hammock is darker than the Everglades thanks to the glow from Miami/Dade blowing out over half of the glades.

On our first outing we were blown away by a glowing band of Milky Way stretching from tree line to tree line.

I had never before seen the Milky Way extending through Cassiopea and into Perseus.

The entire constellation of Casseopea was completely embedded in a brightly glowing band of Milky Way stars.

Mars was so bright is was giving off flares and we had to use filters to soften the brightness in 12 and 16 inch reflectors to even be able to look at it.

Totally stoked over many great nights to come on that observing site.

Oh, and apologies for hijacking.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 10/26/2018 7:21:28 PM >

Hans

(in reply to MBF)
Post #: 32
RE: Is there an online version of the manual - 10/26/2018 7:58:57 PM   
CommandoSolo

OK if you want to hijack it, lets go.

So I am with the Southwest Florida astronomical society here in Fort Myers.

Our deep sky site is here:

https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/fakahatchee-strand-preserve-state-park

we share that site with the Naples club and also Miami-Dade group. in fact the Maimi-Date group left Area 51 (which is 10 miles east on the alley) to come to our site.

you are more than welcome to come on out any weekend. Great place, lots of people. We are usually out there weekends except for the full moon weekends.
Also, the Fish and wild life officers know us and watch over us. Sometimes they even stop and we show them stuff. It works out well.

Show up before dark so you don't get lost.

I miss wild bill :(

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 33
RE: Is there an online version of the manual - 10/26/2018 8:13:57 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I have 5 years to get to 66-1/2 for full retirement benefits, but I thought the amount you can make per year under full benefits was limited.

No limit. Once you've hit the full retirement age for SSI you are free to make as much as you can. BTW I only know this because I recently retired, although I had enough to go at 62, I checked just in case. So even though I currently have a limit on income, if I choose to go back to work after I hit the age for full benefits I could make whatever I like. No plans to do so at the current time. Enjoying the rest, keeping busy, and have a sufficient income.

Edit:BTW I would still be at reduced SSI benefits, just free to make as much as I desired.

< Message edited by rustysi -- 10/26/2018 8:23:50 PM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 34
RE: Is there an online version of the manual - 10/26/2018 8:15:29 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Florida is a horrid climate for stargazing due to our high humidity.

You could move to the Atacama desert; I hear it's great for stargazing.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 35
RE: Is there an online version of the manual - 10/26/2018 8:20:03 PM   
rustysi

quote:

My younger brother recently weathered a divorce that left him with a nest egg from the sale of his house. He decided to use that money to purchase a country property.
His plan was thaty when I retire I can sell the house in St. Petersburg and use the profits to purchase a manufactured home to place on the country property and together we can escape the overcrowded, light polluted city.

We spent the last three months touring the state looking over properties and finally settled on a 2.24 acre plot on the eastern edge of the Gulf Hammock on the Nature Coast whith some of the darkest skies in all of Florida.

Sounds like a plan.

I like the Adirondacks in upstate NY for dark skies. No idea how the two would compare. Not an astronomer by any means, but its great to see a sky like that. It actually looked 'dusty'.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 36
RE: Is there an online version of the manual - 10/26/2018 8:22:05 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Oh, and apologies for hijacking.

Eh, its an interesting topic. Besides I think the thread was otherwise dead.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 37
RE: Is there an online version of the manual - 10/26/2018 8:52:10 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: CommandoSolo

OK if you want to hijack it, lets go.

So I am with the Southwest Florida astronomical society here in Fort Myers.

Our deep sky site is here:

https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/fakahatchee-strand-preserve-state-park

we share that site with the Naples club and also Miami-Dade group. in fact the Maimi-Date group left Area 51 (which is 10 miles east on the alley) to come to our site.

you are more than welcome to come on out any weekend. Great place, lots of people. We are usually out there weekends except for the full moon weekends.
Also, the Fish and wild life officers know us and watch over us. Sometimes they even stop and we show them stuff. It works out well.

Show up before dark so you don't get lost.

Thanks for the invite. We might try and make it down that way somtime. My furthest soutward forays for observing have been with the Sarasota club.

I was a member there for a few years, but have been member of the St. Petersburg club that touts itself as the largest club in the southeast for twenty years.

Attended my 20th club star party last year.

Its a very active club that runs it's own optical lab where you can grind your own mirror.

https://stpeteastronomyclub.org/

Hans

(in reply to CommandoSolo)
Post #: 38
RE: Is there an online version of the manual - 10/29/2018 11:22:10 AM   
tarkalak

So I just went to visit the newly restored Sofian observatory last week and there is an astronomy hijack here. :)

Must be a coincidence.

I do not know what is scarier: that I do understand nothing of this demonic script or that I am starting to see the demons that it evokes.

Me, studying for a PHD entry exam in Applied Mathematics.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 39
RE: Is there an online version of the manual - 10/29/2018 11:58:40 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: tarkalak

So I just went to visit the newly restored Sofian observatory last week and there is an astronomy hijack here. :)

Must be a coincidence.

Are you saying the observatory had a copy of the manual on their computer?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to tarkalak)
Post #: 40
RE: Is there an online version of the manual - 10/29/2018 12:54:07 PM   
tarkalak

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: tarkalak

Must be a coincidence.

Are you saying the observatory had a copy of the manual on their computer?

That observatory is really old. It was closed for the last few decades. And it is not suitable for anything but teaching because it is almost in the extended center of the city now.

I doubt they ever had a computer in it. May be someone brought a laptop.

So maybe only a hard copy of the manual.

About the manual, there is an online copy somewhere. It is not the full text, but it is a big chunk of it.

I do not know what is scarier: that I do understand nothing of this demonic script or that I am starting to see the demons that it evokes.

Me, studying for a PHD entry exam in Applied Mathematics.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 41
RE: Is there an online version of the manual - 10/29/2018 4:46:30 PM   
Yaab

Sophia = knowledge.

I guess they have the updated manual which includes celestial navigation info and moonlight levels for each day.

(in reply to tarkalak)
Post #: 42
RE: Is there an online version of the manual - 10/29/2018 5:46:10 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

The darkest sky I've ever seen was when we surfaced several hundred miles from the Bahamas for a surface transit (don't ask), and I spent a hour on the bridge. No running lights. A tiny red light on the bridge suitcase with the compass inside. Nothing else. I could not see my hand. The Milky Way was fully visible in a cloudless sky, and it was magnificent. I've never come close to seeing it in that detail anywhere else on earth.

Join the Navy. See the sky.

Agreed, Moose! Catwalk on the edge of the flight deck in the middle of the Atlantic, during "Darkened Ship" conditions aboard CV-66. The sky looks like you are actually IN space!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 43
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Is there an online version of the manual Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI