Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: question: what is the probability of weakpoint hit?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> RE: question: what is the probability of weakpoint hit? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: question: what is the probability of weakpoint hit? - 11/30/2018 4:23:44 PM   
gbem

that would be true for all rocket motors... peak velocity =/= average velocity... it must be noted that a missile continuously accelerates towards the target unlike bullets or projectiles which actually decelerate towards the target...

question... isnt the average velocity of a TOW 187.5 m/s? 3750 max range and 20s time to target?

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 91
RE: question: what is the probability of weakpoint hit? - 11/30/2018 4:55:02 PM   
Lieste

Tow2a 20s (some manuals say approx 21s), Tow2b 21s to 3750m

On acceleration:

Missiles have a short burn, some exhaust their motor in the launch tube and coast the whole way. Others are ejected, then boost and coast. TOW is ejected, motor ignites at 7-8m, burns only for 1.5 s, peak ~320-330m/s, coasts to max range over the next 19.5s
Very few are still accelerating at their maximum range, and then only if their range is limited by factors other than kinematics. Those which may still have an active motor, are almost always only using a low thrust arrangement as a sustainer/gas generator, to limit decay of energy, and the bulk of their acceleration still comes from the high thrust boost motor or boost phase of a multi-phase motor.

The velocity/range profile for most SAM/ATGM is broadly similar to a (draggy) shell, but with longer times of flight and an acceleration from a launch speed to peak over the first second(s).

e.g 9M119M launch ~200m/s, boost 800m/s within a very brief burn, then a long coast to their max range of 5000m at an "average" velocity (not actually flown for any duration) of ~350m/s

< Message edited by Lieste -- 11/30/2018 4:56:04 PM >

(in reply to gbem)
Post #: 92
RE: question: what is the probability of weakpoint hit? - 11/30/2018 5:06:16 PM   
gbem

quote:

Missiles have a short burn, some exhaust their motor in the launch tube and coast the whole way. Others are ejected, then boost and coast. TOW is ejected, motor ignites at 7-8m, burns only for 1.5 s, peak ~320-330m/s, coasts to max range over the next 19.5s
Very few are still accelerating at their maximum range, and then only if their range is limited by factors other than kinematics. Those which may still have an active motor, are almost always only using a low thrust arrangement as a sustainer/gas generator, to limit decay of energy, and the bulk of their acceleration still comes from the high thrust boost motor or boost phase of a multi-phase motor.

afaik russian missiles like the R-77 vympel have a multiphase motor where they continuously accelerate towards their target in contrast to other missiles like the AIM-120 which only have a boost phase rocket motor...

i always thought the russians opted for multiphase while nato went for boost phase motors... ohh well.. never knew the refleks was a boost phase missile... err is it? or is it multiphase? tankograd does mention cruise velocity...

< Message edited by gbem -- 11/30/2018 5:31:09 PM >

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 93
RE: question: what is the probability of weakpoint hit? - 11/30/2018 10:40:46 PM   
kevinkins

Gee .. I can't wait to play you in multiplayer / PBEM.

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to gbem)
Post #: 94
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> RE: question: what is the probability of weakpoint hit? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI