Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/31/2019 1:58:20 PM   
Canoerebel

4/2/44

Battle of Timor Sea: With the end of the day it's apparent that Dave withdrew from the field of battle, as did the Allies.

Early in the war, there was a similar fight in the Gilberts, though on a smaller scale. It felt like this one, outcome and all. In that case, Dave retired...and then really retired. He didn't come back to contest the region. He instead withdrew a considerable distance to the safety of a new MLR.

He may or may not follow a similar pattern here. He may feel that Timor is lost to him, or him may return and fight with a vengeance.

The Allies will concentrate at Darwin, replenishing everything capable of fighting. Troops are prepping for Dili - 3rd Marine Div. is already at 38%, and will go at 50%, since the base is lightly held.

As for damaged Allied capital ships, they won't move until I know what Dave is doing with his carriers. It suits me if he floods the Arafura Sea, because then Allied ASW can get at them. But he may not do that - prior conduct shows that once he suffers heavy sub attrition he doesn't like to operate forward in unfriendly waters heavily patrolled.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1141
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/31/2019 2:06:56 PM   
Canoerebel

4/2/44

Battle of Timor Sea: Looks like an enemy carrier went under, today.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1142
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/31/2019 2:57:07 PM   
RangerJoe

I think that he has to fight for Timor to keep the DEI as long as is possible. Although he might send his carrier air to land bases if his carriers are damaged. It also depends upon his pilot and aircraft pools.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1143
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/31/2019 3:31:33 PM   
Canoerebel

Seems like that's right.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1144
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/31/2019 3:34:57 PM   
Canoerebel

4/3/44

Battle of Timor Sea: All quiet today, as both sides continue retiring.

The ships lost screen report CVL Chitose sank, which doesn't mean a thing, but the report comes from "near Balikpapan." That might well indicate Dave's line of retreat for KB, or at least for his damaged ships.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 8/31/2019 3:35:25 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1145
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/31/2019 3:39:31 PM   
Canoerebel

4/3/44

Old Battles: Confirmation that CA Myoko was sunk near Manus or Wewak during the big battles there a month or two back.

In that series of clashes, Dave lost the CA, BB Mutsu and a number of DDs and subs. The Allies suffered damage to BB South Dakota and CAs Pensacola and Louisville (all of which were repaired and have been back in action) and BB Colorado (damaged by shore guns at Rabaul and still in the yard at Pearl).

Japan has lost five BBs and seven CAs.

Attachment (2)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1146
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/31/2019 3:46:24 PM   
Canoerebel

4/03/44

Dave knows where the bulk of the Allied forces are, has the bulk of his in the same area, and has a strong MLR several layers deep.

Sometimes, especially earlier in a game, I'd prefer to sidestep now rather than taking on prepared enemy defenses. But I think this is the time and place to fight hard - and to do so as soon as possible, while he's still licking some of his wounds.

3rd Marine Div. is 40% prepped for Dili. That'll happen as soon as it's 50%.

APDs with handle some fast transport invasions in coming days.

And a lot of additional forces will come forward, to help flood this zone. Like short-legged SCs embedded in cargo TFs bound for Darwin, to help deal with the sub threat. ARs and perhaps an ARD will come to Darwin, as soon as I can verify that there isn't a major sub threat in the Arafura Sea.

B-29s are arriving now at Karachi, and they'll eventually stage forward to Darwin.

If the Marines can take Dili, the Japanese MLR is punctured, and Soerabaja and Balikpapan are within moderate range.

The long term plan is to move west to Java before turning north to Borneo or Mindanao. That big shipyard at Soerabaja is a high priority.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1147
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/31/2019 4:22:44 PM   
RangerJoe

Don't forget that now that you know where the KB is, that the KB and surface forces are depleted and damaged, this is also the time to strike elsewhere.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1148
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/31/2019 5:30:03 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

4/2/44

His total for aircraft losses is 50% more than yours! That's remarkable, given the modern aircraft he has advanced.
I wonder if it is also affecting his pilot quality.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1149
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/31/2019 6:17:33 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Don't forget that now that you know where the KB is, that the KB and surface forces are depleted and damaged, this is also the time to strike elsewhere.

Marcus was the last invasion "elsewhere" for awhile - five months of non-stop invasions and campaigning and thinking forward have me without the forces to commit out on the wings, for awhile. Allied troops and ships are gathering (and prepping) in other theaters but it'll take some time to have the right forces available.

And I'd have to be careful, anyhow. Now that KB needs some yard time, Dave may put together a Medium KB and send it someplace like Marcus, to restore order. I wouldn't like one of my CVE TFs to bump into that.

A major army is prepped at Colombo, with ships to boot, but it cannot take on big LBA until it has a lot more CVE strength.

Things aren't going to slow down in the DEI.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1150
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/31/2019 6:19:58 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

….
His total for aircraft losses is 50% more than yours! That's remarkable, given the modern aircraft he has advanced.
I wonder if it is also affecting his pilot quality.

Overall, air losses for both sides have been light, in keeping with my overall strategy of minimizing his denominator. But when the Allies fight, I've worked hard to make it work right. I've given far more attention to pilot training and tactics than I've ever done before.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1151
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 8/31/2019 6:25:10 PM   
Canoerebel

4/4/44

Battle of Timor Sea: No action in the region today.

All remaining Allied TFs made Darwin today, replenishing ammo, fuel and, for the carriers, aircraft. Things look good.

Things look so good that, when I began to press "Unload" Koepang troop transports (to allow the units to recover while the ships got ready for the next campaign), it struck me that Koepang is more open now than it was before, even though I have less carriers (two less CV, two less CVL, one less CVE, but partially offset by five more CVE from the Perth TF).

So DS & The Herd will head back to sea tonight, bound for Koepang. This rather than wait the 7-9 days for 3rd Marine Div. to reach 50% on Dili prep.

Over at Marcus, Allied transports are offloading a powerful coastal CD force. Each TF that comes in loads a part of 43rd Div., toting it to the assembly point (Townsville) for its next mission. Dave has a Glen-sub here but hasn't sent anything bigger to investigate. That may change.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1152
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/1/2019 2:30:41 AM   
ChuckBerger

Looks to me like a tactical draw, more or less, and a strategic victory for you. He's left the field, you'll have free rein to advance across the Timor Sea, and whatever else you have planned right now.

I guess saving grace for your opponent is that KB will remain a powerful force in being, after a few months of repair and regroup.

You came close to an exchange of queens, but in the end you both retain your queens...

...or what's your take?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1153
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/1/2019 2:31:14 AM   
T Rav

"Edge of seat" abated for now. Well done!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1154
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/1/2019 2:59:02 AM   
Canoerebel

Dave put it something like this: "It was a close thing, but you edged me." I think that's about right.

Tactically, no Allied capital ship suffered more than moderate damage. It's possible only BB Alabama will go to Pearl. On the Japanese side, I think Dave will lose one or both of CV Aso and CVL Chitose, he lost CL Oyodo, and several other ships (Kaga? Shoho? Furutaka?) probably took at least moderate damage. Strategically it should be an Allied victory, since I'm able to carry on.

But all this can change momentarily. If Dave isn't as hurt as I think, perhaps he wins a carrier/LBA/combat-TF battle. Or perhaps his subs cause mayhem. (I'll post a screenie in just a moment, showing how his subs are arrayed. It's "gulp" time again.

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 1155
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/1/2019 3:17:44 AM   
Canoerebel

4/5/44

Battle of Timor Sea: DS & The Herd made six hexes today, so Koepang is about 2-3 days away.

Ordinarily, I'd approach slowly, to let ASW clear a path. But that doesn't feel right this time. This is the time to move fast, to try to catch Dave as off-guard as possible. If the subs prove too much, the armada can retire.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1156
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/1/2019 12:14:51 PM   
HansBolter

Set the lead ASW TF's reaction range to zero.

Unlike carrier reactions, which are a special case, they shouldn't ignore the setting.

Hans

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1157
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/1/2019 7:46:48 PM   
Canoerebel

4/6/44

Battle of Timor Sea: The new day begins with the following questions:

1. Will DS & The Herd properly follow the lead ASW TF, or will there be issues?
2. Will enemy subs prove effective?
3. Will there be indications that Dave is sortying KB and/or combat TFs?

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 1158
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/1/2019 7:48:48 PM   
Canoerebel

4/6/44

Battle of Timor Sea: Early in nighttime hours, a small AM TF acting as ASW encounters an enemy sub on the precise lane of travel to be taken by DS & The Herd.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1159
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/1/2019 7:50:41 PM   
Canoerebel

4/6/44

Battle of Timor Sea: Small DD TF detached from DS to scout Koepang for merchant shipping, for signs of enemy combat vessels, and for mines. This action looks good and clean.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1160
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/1/2019 7:54:49 PM   
Canoerebel

4/6/44

Battle of Timor Sea: This action indicates that DS & The Herd have made it at least this far, which is excellent (the hex to the NW is the target hex for the day, and there's still time to make it).

Already, there have been many clashes between subs and dedicated or imbedded ASW ships and TFs. Mostly, a hit or two scored on subs - perhaps enough to give them high visibility if Dave doesn't withdraw them.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1161
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/1/2019 7:57:13 PM   
Canoerebel

4/6/44

Battle of Timor Sea: Confirmed kill.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1162
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/1/2019 7:58:54 PM   
Canoerebel

4/6/44

Battle of Timor Sea: And a second.

This action shows that DS (& presumably The Herd) are at the target hex).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 9/1/2019 7:59:39 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1163
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/1/2019 8:03:09 PM   
Canoerebel

4/6/44

Battle of Timor Sea: For the most part its a quiet turn with excellent progress and circumstances to press the invasion.

The answer to those key questions:

1. DS & The Herd properly followed the ASW TF, and steamed six hexes to the target.
2. Enemy subs failed to score any hits. Allied ASW sank to subs and damaged a couple of others.
3. It appears that KB is holed up at Soerabaja (see graphic).

Soera is only 17 hexes from Koepang, so all heck may break lose tomorrow...or not.

DS & The Herd to take station NW of Koepang, in a blocking/protecting position.

D-Day at Koepang tomorrow.

This has gone remarkably well and feels right, for what it's worth.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1164
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/2/2019 12:04:52 PM   
Canoerebel

4/7/44

Battle of Timor Sea: The new turns begins with a long series of messages about ASW TFs reacting to enemy subs south of Koepang and this, the first altercation.

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 9/2/2019 12:05:03 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1165
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/2/2019 12:08:45 PM   
Canoerebel

4/7/44

Battle of Timor Sea: Next come messages of AMs sweeping mines at Koepang, and an LSL hitting a mine there. So The Invasion Herd has arrived off the beaches for D-Day.

Next comes this action, with the PFs sinking a bad guy. (I-2 took a few hits yesterday, causing a bit of damage and increasing [I think] visibility, making it an easier target.)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 9/2/2019 12:09:43 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1166
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/2/2019 12:18:25 PM   
Canoerebel

4/7/44

Battle of Timor Sea: This is a pretty strong bombardment, by the standards typically achieved [underachieved] by my bombardment TFs.

Note that there's no indication of aircraft spotting. I "always" set the spotter planes, and I distinctly remember doing so here. When I open the turn file, I'll check to see what might've gone awry. (User error, you say?)

Here, I elected to go with a modest-strength BB force, choosing to keep the big USN BBs fresh. Why? I felt like Dave was unlikely to load up Koepang's airfield, fearing big bombardments, but that he might well commit a lot of combat TFs. Bombardment uses up so much ammo that it basically neuters a TF from that point forward, so I don't use them unless I'm sure there won't be a more pressing need soon.

Attachment (2)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1167
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/2/2019 12:23:11 PM   
Canoerebel

4/7/44

Battle of Timor Sea: In the flurry of issuing orders and clicking, I forgot to consider the 4EB at Darwin. They'd have been better off today resting. Auxiliaries at Koepang aren't a threat, and the heavy bombers may be needed for other missions, soon.

Attachment (2)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1168
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/2/2019 12:25:45 PM   
Canoerebel

4/7/44

Battle of Timor Sea: A lot of altercations like this going on throughout the early phases of the turn. Keep 'em away from the carriers and the assault shipping, boys!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 9/2/2019 12:26:11 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1169
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 9/2/2019 12:29:41 PM   
Canoerebel

4/7/44

Invasion of Koepang: D-Day begins with the landing of 11th Australian Division, in good order. This is the first of several detailed messages indicating the infantry, armor, artillery and HQ units are coming ashore with modest disablements. Prep is mostly 70% to 80%. No shore guns. No interference from enemy combat ships. Promising.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 9/2/2019 12:32:33 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1170
Page:   <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI