Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Game of Thrones

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Game of Thrones Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 4:40:29 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rising-Sun
My favorite part is about Rory (The Hound) talking about the chicken...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgo7Bos-uIM

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 61
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 4:52:49 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I read up a lot of details and see some videos and feel like I already seen the last season.

You should find the video where Sansa kills Tyrion. Chilling.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 62
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 5:58:48 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
Defending outside the castle walls was not clever - and charging with unsupported cavalry at the start of the set-piece battle was ludicrous... The defenders supposedly had time to come up with a plan...

Don't get me started on the planning and execution failures on that battle please. Such elementary disregard for any tactical planning really detracted from the episode as far as I'm concerned. Sure, the special effects and melee were remarkable, but didn't overcome wanton stupidity in the battle planning.

I wasn't too bothered to be honest. Not because it wasn't silly, it was, but because that's just how things seem to be portrayed.

In Gladiator, the Romans broke format immediately when in contact with Barbarians and their long swords, choosing instead to fight them man to man. With their short gladii. Sure. Fast forward to WW2, in SPR, the Rangers having skillfully penetrated the Atlantic Wall defences, then the very next time they chose to bayonet charge a MG improved position. On a top of a small hill, no less. We wargamers are a tough crowd to please

So all I can say about the Dothraki charge is that it was visually very impressive. Troops lined outside castle walls, well at least you can see them all now. Trebuchet outside walls as well. Why not. The thing I will complain about ep 3, being an artillery man, is that they did not use those trebuchet things at all but for a couple of shots. They should have bombarded the enemy throughtout the episode. That is what artillery does. Grr!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 63
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 7:15:52 PM   
Zap

Interesting how the forumites have dissected the series

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 64
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 7:39:08 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Interesting how the forumites have dissected the series

There's always a lot of dissecting, with Game of Thrones. Often, in it, too. It is known.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 65
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 9:11:41 PM   
bomccarthy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

quote:

quote:

Defending outside the castle walls was not clever - and charging with unsupported cavalry at the start of the set-piece battle was ludicrous... The defenders supposedly had time to come up with a plan...

Don't get me started on the planning and execution failures on that battle please. Such elementary disregard for any tactical planning really detracted from the episode as far as I'm concerned. Sure, the special effects and melee were remarkable, but didn't overcome wanton stupidity in the battle planning.

I wasn't too bothered to be honest. Not because it wasn't silly, it was, but because that's just how things seem to be portrayed.

In Gladiator, the Romans broke format immediately when in contact with Barbarians and their long swords, choosing instead to fight them man to man. With their short gladii. Sure. Fast forward to WW2, in SPR, the Rangers having skillfully penetrated the Atlantic Wall defences, then the very next time they chose to bayonet charge a MG improved position. On a top of a small hill, no less. We wargamers are a tough crowd to please

So all I can say about the Dothraki charge is that it was visually very impressive. Troops lined outside castle walls, well at least you can see them all now. Trebuchet outside walls as well. Why not. The thing I will complain about ep 3, being an artillery man, is that they did not use those trebuchet things at all but for a couple of shots. They should have bombarded the enemy throughtout the episode. That is what artillery does. Grr!

I think the Dothraki were modeled on ancient nomadic horse tribes; I don't know much about their "military culture", but I would tend to think that such tribes didn't think of themselves in terms of cavalry or infantry. I imagine they know only one way of warfare - ride full tilt into an enemy. Having little in the way of discipline otherwise, they could only be used in this manner. Somehow, I don't imagine the Dothraki mounted horde waiting behind a main line of resistance for an order to charge, or even reconnoitering the Night King's army like light cavalry.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 66
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 9:33:48 PM   
bomccarthy

quote:

quote:

I read up a lot of details and see some videos and feel like I already seen the last season.

Where is that video?

Maybe Marvel will bring back all of the GoT characters that wronged Sansa over the years, so she can exact her revenge over and over again:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 67
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 10:59:06 PM   
Gilmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

IMHO, 50% of King’s Landing population is gone. More will die of infected wounds, plagues and starvation. Cersei point of view showed clearly how the town was basically reduced to a lake of napalm.

BTW, people on the internet are screaming bloody hell against this “twist” - a twist that was predicted over and over and over since Season 1. Dany even had a vision (in Season 3 IIRC) of the throne room deserted and destroyed, with ashes swirling around like snowflakes. Personally, I wasn’t surprised at all.

Edit: Re: The credits, let’s go for broke https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ntPHFVWDIqM

I just can't believe she did it for the clubfoot translator.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 68
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/16/2019 12:43:03 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

quote:

quote:

Where is that video?

Dude. Work with me here. Rising-Sun says he hasn't seen anything in the last season. So I throw him a non-sequitor red herring to let him wonder where the video of Sansa killing Tyrion is.

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 69
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/16/2019 6:28:39 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think the Dothraki were modeled on ancient nomadic horse tribes; I don't know much about their "military culture", but I would tend to think that such tribes didn't think of themselves in terms of cavalry or infantry. I imagine they know only one way of warfare - ride full tilt into an enemy. Having little in the way of discipline otherwise, they could only be used in this manner. Somehow, I don't imagine the Dothraki mounted horde waiting behind a main line of resistance for an order to charge, or even reconnoitering the Night King's army like light cavalry.
warspite1

I understand what you are saying about the Dothraki and their method of war, but there was a conference about the plan. It wasn't a free for all surely? Someone - presumably Jon Snow - was in charge and coordinated the plan. The decision - and whose it was - to simply send a few thousand Dothraki against an enemy that can't be defeated conventionally, makes no sense. Everyone in that planning room has been told (and many have seen the undead up close and personal) what the army of the dead are.

Even if it was the Dothraki that insisted on their place at the front, at the least I would have expected Daenerys to have put up an argument against. She had seen the undead - importantly, she has lost one of her children to them. That unsupported cavalry charge was inexplicable on all counts - not least on the part of Daenerys. The Dothraki have seen the MoD walk into and emerge from fire. They worship her as a goddess. They would do what she said. But we can only assume she has acquiesced in their dumb usage.

But her arguing against their use in that way - and then their slaughtering - could have been another important waypoint on her journey to full Mad Queen.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/16/2019 2:30:22 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 70
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/16/2019 9:03:16 AM   
rico21

Game of Thrones takes again the history of England, the wall of Adrien, the pictes (the army of the dead ones), the dothraki (French chivalry), the Starks (the Scots) ...
and so it's going to end with Mary Stuart's descendant on throne (Jon Snow).

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 71
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/17/2019 6:25:21 AM   
warspite1

Lolz.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48303921

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 72
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/17/2019 6:30:48 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

Lolz.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48303921

Internet fans... Burn them all. Dracarys!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 73
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/17/2019 10:11:48 PM   
bomccarthy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rico21

Game of Thrones takes again the history of England, the wall of Adrien, the pictes (the army of the dead ones), the dothraki (French chivalry), the Starks (the Scots) ...
and so it's going to end with Mary Stuart's descendant on throne (Jon Snow).

I think the Starks were originally based on the Yorks (at war with the Lannisters/Lancasters). But the series has in many ways come to resemble the aftermath of Henry VIII's death: 3 strong women in conflict. Cersei as "Bloody" Mary Tudor; Daenerys as Mary Stuart (raised in a foreign land and backed initially by a foreign army, then the "North"/Scotland); Sansa as Mary Stuart ("queen" in the North) and Elizabeth Tudor (coming of age as she observed royalty up close, while playing her hand carefully and quietly amongst people who remembered her primarily as the daughter of a "traitorous" parent who was beheaded).

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 74
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/17/2019 10:14:22 PM   
bomccarthy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Where is that video?

Dude. Work with me here. Rising-Sun says he hasn't seen anything in the last season. So I throw him a non-sequitor red herring to let him wonder where the video of Sansa killing Tyrion is.

Damn ... I thought there was an outlandish outtake somewhere.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 75
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/18/2019 5:52:38 AM   
zakblood

nowhere near as good as the books, last series is far too rushed imo

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 76
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/18/2019 9:52:45 PM   
bomccarthy

I haven't read the books; my understanding is that GRRM bit off more narrative than he could chew and is now burnt out on the story. I read a recent interview where he expressed hope about finishing the next book. I think he even started on a completely unrelated novel - that sounds like burnout on the whole Westeros saga (I guess that could be expected after 30 years of writing about the same characters).

This last season could have definitely used 10-12 hours, rather than 8-9 hours. A few scenes in episodes 1 and 2 between Daenerys and Missandei alone might have gone a long ways towards demonstrating Daenerys' descent into paranoia and violent resentment as she doesn't get the Westeros love to which she thinks she is entitled. As a devoted advisor to the queen and an outsider sensing the suspicion of the Northerners, Missandei would have likely fueled Daenerys' eventual explosion.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 77
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/19/2019 9:14:33 AM   
Rising-Sun

Note Spoiler...

There is one major flaw I wasn't too happy with, when Gregor Clegan (The Mountain) dueling Oberyn Martell and suffer some nasty cuts and blows during trial by combat for Tyrion Lannister in Fourth Season. Later you will noticed Qyburn manage to save Gregor, that Cersei want him back. Qyburn using some kinda necromancy there and reality you gotta keep treating the patient and of course it would have smell bad. Funny no one mention how he smell all that time. Like being zombie, it will get stiff over time and start to decay, no matter what.

< Message edited by Rising-Sun -- 5/19/2019 9:15:24 AM >

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 78
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 2:47:27 AM   
Lecivius

Well, I didn't get it right. But I can live with the ending. The only thing that sort of spoiled it was ALL of the Unsullied & Dothraki. Those guys are like worms, chop 'em up & they grow a new body.

Tell me where to send the blood money, CB.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 79
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 6:31:41 AM   
zakblood

series 8 without a doubt is poor imo and i'm sorry to say for me they Spoiled the ending and the series overall with such a short and imo again such a poor ending.

can't say it was the worse ending i've ever seen, but no where near as good as i could have written it, so disappointed

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 80
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 8:21:18 AM   
Crossroads

I can live with the ending, at least it was a proper ending. It's just that it was too rushed, especially as even in season 7 with only seven episodes they still took the time to evolve the plot. Even with the last two seasons being ten episodes it would have not felt so rushed. But here we are. It was a fun eight, nine years.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 81
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 8:41:56 AM   
zakblood

for me i'm disappointed, kind of like i was with the walking dead, good to start off with, then in the end, it's as if someone else wrote the ending and rushed it, kind of a low budget one at that, left far too many mistakes imo

armies of a given size, almost destroyed then reborn X2

army planning, well none.

ending open to do another one, either later on, or the following generation etc, missed quite a few good writing parts for me, could have been better

but glad others also agree it's rushed and far too short for a ending season also,...

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 82
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 12:11:36 PM   
Toby42

So what happened to Drogo, the Dothraki, Bronn, Brienne and the Unsullied?

Tony

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 83
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 12:46:25 PM   
terje439

quote:

I can live with the ending, at least it was a proper ending. It's just that it was too rushed, especially as even in season 7 with only seven episodes they still took the time to evolve the plot. Even with the last two seasons being ten episodes it would have not felt so rushed. But here we are. It was a fun eight, nine years.

That is the key part for me. I can live with the ending, but where the other seasons kept building suspense throughout the episodes, this season seems to have been more "oh my, we only have x episodes left, better hurry up". Think the season would have benefitted from another 2 episodes or so.

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 84
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 1:35:06 PM   
zakblood

seems i'm not alone,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48333709

quote:

But the season eight finale has received a mixed reaction from fans and critics.

More than a million viewers signed a petition to have the eighth season remade with more "competent writers".

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 85
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 3:05:57 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby42

Their ends are explained satisfactorily in the final episode. Have you not seen it?

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 86
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 3:29:21 PM   
zakblood

i make more comments when most have seen it, as there's more than plenty wrong with series 8, i have a list already compiled

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 87
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 3:29:59 PM   
rico21

Game of thrones is over.
Star wars too in the past.
There"is too money to take...
Spinoff in the future!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 88
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 3:34:17 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby42

Their ends are explained satisfactorily in the final episode. Have you not seen it?

You shouldn't be reading this if you haven't seen it.

There are a lot of loose ends. Was Jon Snow fireproof, being half-Targaryen? Who did Jaqen H'ghar come to Westeros to kill? Why did Quaithe wear that mask? Perhaps GRR will clear these things up.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 89
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 3:53:23 PM   
zakblood

well if everyone has seen it, then it's no longer a spoiler in my eyes.

where did all the Unsullied & Dothraki come from after the battle with the white walkers? eg to fight in the end all wars near the end????????

as from my views, most were wiped out, only to have come back from the dead in the battle of the last war, the war to end all wars.

2 Dragons killed, but seems last one was bullet bullet proof and flew so much better in the end around all the dart throwing machines? so were the others ones just dumb and stupid?

battles in series 8?

seems there were designed by a idiot who didn't know how to fight or defend, if you watched i'm sure most will agree, as i'm useless at games, can test them till the cows come home and mostly loose, but even i can make a standard defense better than series 8 was fought.

the ending was a disappointment, to short with so much left over it's plain even to an idiot like me there will be a follow on in one way or another, mini series or follow on in later years.

where do i start with King Bran?

well, doesn't see all of the future but knew he was going to be king? how?

as taking him back to the start of series 8, he doesn't know what will stop a white walker when asked if dragon fire would or wouldn't kill one?

seems he's not the all knowing, and is just another one of the poor writing parts which doesn't make sense,

i could go on and name another 20 plus which springs to mind, but as most have already been noticed and mentioned by critics all over the place, seems the man who wrote the book couldn't be bothered to do the same quality with series 8 at all, if he even wrote it,

my god, upto series 7, one of the best TV stuff i've watched in a very long time, only spoilt in the last series, something i can't forgive, sloppy writing to just give it a quick death, felt like they killed it or ran out of money to really do it justice,...

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Game of Thrones Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI