Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> MODS and Scenarios >> RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod - 1/9/2021 12:42:25 AM   
Elessar2

Time for an update I'd say, with the new year upon us...

SC WAW: War in the Pacific .204

NOTE: This is just the map, not the full scenario! Loading it in the game won't do anything, and likely will crash thangs. Open in the editor instead.

As you can see in screenie 5, I found a way to show atolls visually, by using lakes. Even better, large lakes will prevent landings (if the AI does something dumb there), tho I've added a LOT of usable islands. Reading Ian Toll's 3 part series right now, and every night I typically add a few bases here and there.

To my shock when I really went over the vanilla map with a fine-tooth comb, I discovered that there was a definite shortage of mines, such as the Manchurian ones; the US had NO western mines at all! Adding those should obviate the need for the silly "phantom" oil wells to the extreme SE of the vanilla map.

My current task is getting the weather right. Found some errors in the default (imported) weather zones, and will be adding/splitting several. Hint: the typical crap weather in China will make the Japanese airforce less useful there.

Once that is done, then I'll be able to work on getting an alpha up and going, with units. Scripts will be the last thing added; planning on upgrading the AI once I have said betas working well and viable for human vs. human at least.

Decided on corps/division scale for land units, cheaper air overall (i.e. more of them), probably ~18 turns/year (might go to 24 in point of fact if it doesn't throw off the timing of the continential war), and, most crucially, every capital ship counter will represent one ship; cruisers 2 ships, and destroyers/subs around half a dozen. Yamatos (and Montanas!) will use the dreadnought slot (have already worked on the bitmaps for the former).

The Chinese front will also have TONS of partisan hexes (both kinds). The Japanese simply didn't have the manpower to monitor the entire countryside, and to launch any viable offensive there will have to commit the manpower to pull it off, which may pork both their research as well as their naval buildup.

Stay tuned...

< Message edited by Elessar2 -- 1/9/2021 12:52:27 AM >

(in reply to steelwarrior)
Post #: 61
RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod - 1/9/2021 6:56:46 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

This looks totally awesome. The atolls you presented are a crafty way to depict them. Can't wait to see more and actually play it someday.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 62
RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod - 1/28/2021 8:47:04 AM   
Pocus

I'm gonna ask. Is it possible to port maps "additionally" to a current map? Meaning you export the map indexes of WIE, the ones of your map, and we get at last a WAW map but at the scale of WIE ?

AGEOD Team

(in reply to OldCrowBalthazor)
Post #: 63
RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod - 2/11/2021 2:02:01 AM   
Elessar2

[Didn't see Pocus' post until just now]

I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you are saying import indices on top of an already-existing map, I doubt that will work.

Weather all done, unit placement 95% done:

China was a combination of the vanilla placements (adjusted for my corps/divisional scale), combined with the historical borders. As promised, I'll be putting a LOT of partisan hexes in there, with my goal to ensure that it is pretty much one garrisoning unit per hex, so we don't have the silly cover-two or three syndrome which vanilla has, giving the IJA a free hand.

As also promised, naval is one unit per 1 ship for capital vessels (dreadnoughts/battleships/battlecruisers/light & fleet carriers), 2 ships for cruisers, 5/6 for destroyers and subs. Light CVs will be modded to add naval weapons (replacing anti-sub tech), tho I'll allow probably half-point A-S increments for naval weapon unpgrades. [No CVE slots available for merchant conversions]

I'm still mulling over making the naval ZoC penalties steeper, tho this will require me to junk overlapping ZoC's for divisional land units and give most of them full ZoC coverage for single units.

I utilized the already-existing Indian & Pacific Equatorial Zones to simulate the Intratropical Convergence Zones [lots of soggy weather +/-5 hexes around the equator, bit sunnier in summer tho]. China with all of the monsoons and fogs will hamper aircraft missions and thus Japanese offensives.

Modifying unit stats and techs will be easy peasy.

Porting over scripts and debugging them will be a bear-I'll likely generate dozens of errors the first time I finally run them in the game executable.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 64
RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod - 3/19/2021 10:34:05 PM   
lion_of_judah

where can one download this? I clicked the link and tried, logged into my google, but then it said "viewers cannot download". I just would like the map for my own personal use, not the scenario.

< Message edited by lion_of_judah -- 3/19/2021 10:36:21 PM >

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 65
RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod - 3/19/2021 10:36:56 PM   
lion_of_judah

anyone tried and make a modern day scenario out of this map???

(in reply to lion_of_judah)
Post #: 66
RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod - 3/19/2021 11:09:55 PM   
Elessar2

You mean Cold War, or post-Cold War? If they ask permission (of both myself & samspackman) I would have no issues. Note I've tweaked the map a bit since the last post, and hope to have a beta by the end of the month.

Post #: 67
RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod - 3/20/2021 12:15:09 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

I was looking at the map of New Guinea and noticed the high mountain hexes on the spine of the range. Interestingly, my uncle help build a road from the coast on up to under one of the highest peaks to a copper mine being developed in the mid 1970's. It was in Irian Jaya (West New Guinea-Indonesia) and just above the mine site was a remnant glacier.

A glacier on the equator! He had a slide show of the whole road from the sweltering jungle through every climatic zone up to a stunted cloud/fairy forest and then alpine scree. Fascinating stuff that turned me towards a career as a geographer years later.

Great work from the two of you...can't wait to see more.

< Message edited by OldCrowBalthazor -- 3/20/2021 12:17:22 AM >

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 68
RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod - 3/20/2021 4:04:21 AM   
lion_of_judah

either or, doesn't matter.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 69
RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod - 3/20/2021 4:05:20 AM   
lion_of_judah

is the beta just the map or an entire scenario?

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 70
RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod - 3/21/2021 12:05:48 AM   
Elessar2

It's the full scenario, tho it won't have AI right away (as in scripts, which I'll be spending a lot of subsequent time on, dissatisfied as I am with the vanilla ones).

Post #: 71
RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod - 3/24/2021 9:16:12 PM   
lion_of_judah

I downloaded your europe map. Question, where do I place it, so when I open it in the editor for world at war, it will open. Thanks, also still looking forward to your pacific map as well.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 72
RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod - 3/25/2021 12:47:24 AM   
Elessar2

It may not open in W@W, tho someone recently made a converter (it's in a thread in one of the modding subforums). Otherwise place in your My Games/SCW@W/Campaigns folder.

I may indeed finish it in W@W. [Once Pacific is finished to my satisfaction]

Post #: 73
RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod - 5/8/2021 3:12:29 PM   
Shellshock

Is this project still going ahead?

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 74
RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod - 5/9/2021 1:05:34 AM   
Elessar2

I ran into a snag where none of my transit loops worked. I can probably get a workable beta uploaded once I figure out how to fix that. But the limitations of the game engine with it comes to simulating all of that action on the ocean, plus my pessimism w.r.t. crafting even a halfway-decent AI have kind of dampened my enthusiasm a bit. I may be finally giving WitP:AE a go instead. I'll upload my current progress, give a changelog + need-to-do's if anyone wants to finish it.

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 75
RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod - 8/6/2021 12:18:48 AM   
steelwarrior

Thanks for your long breath and effort! Any news on a big Europe map or even a world at war map with a working AI?

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 76
RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod - 8/6/2021 9:07:44 AM   
BillRunacre

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elessar2

I ran into a snag where none of my transit loops worked. I can probably get a workable beta uploaded once I figure out how to fix that. But the limitations of the game engine with it comes to simulating all of that action on the ocean, plus my pessimism w.r.t. crafting even a halfway-decent AI have kind of dampened my enthusiasm a bit. I may be finally giving WitP:AE a go instead. I'll upload my current progress, give a changelog + need-to-do's if anyone wants to finish it.

I'm happy to take a look at your loop scripts if you're having trouble there.

You can always email me the campaign (preferably via something like WeTransfer) to bill.runacre@furysoftware.com

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 77
RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod - 8/6/2021 6:20:06 PM   
Elessar2

I fixed those, thanks Bill (it was because trying to do a convoy line along the edge of the map fools the engine into thinking the line is going to jump to another edge of the map, but it actually "jumped" to the same edge, thus crashing the game).

I am in the middle of finalizing some tricky scripts and starting what I hope is my final playtest before my current beta is made available. I've started a dozen playtests by now this summer, and each time some issue or three come up that I have to fix, and start all over again. As I've said, making your own more or less from scratch scenario is NOT something to be done lightly or casually.

Oh don't worry the Euro map is still on my agenda too. I am less sanguine on a redo of the world map, given the max size limitations in the editor, and that the scale would be more or less double what it is now, a relatively meager gain given the huge amount of work that would be required.

< Message edited by Elessar2 -- 8/6/2021 6:21:32 PM >

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 78
RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod - 8/6/2021 10:26:11 PM   
steelwarrior

Thanks man, adouble size for the WAW map would be jut great ;-D- eagerly waiting for your mods - would you incorporate something like Fall weiss?

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 79
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> MODS and Scenarios >> RE: War in the Pacific: AE - Map Mod Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI