Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/20/2019 10:21:23 PM   
SparkleyTits

AGN week 3 start

We open the turn to see a buildup across the entire area is likely with little ground taken although 3 divisions near the Dvina were pocketed this week

Luckily Dinglr left a 20CV MOT in thw swamp hex which panzers do not fight very well and is a good position for the men to hopefully retreat into so a rescue is planned and the men are in good spirit for it's chances of success

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 31
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/20/2019 10:23:31 PM   
SparkleyTits

AGN end of week 3

Black: Focused on setting up the hexes W and NW of Pskov as well as could be as this is the easiest route to Leningrad
Also tried to make sure no easy route around Pskov was possible with as little forces as I was willing to send
Red: I managed to stop fuel supplies to 2 of Dinglrs panzers
Yellow: I made high stacks instead of depth in hopes of redrawing Dinglrs attention back downward to waste more MP's
Unfortunately I had to leave weaknesses S/SE of Pskov for a coordinated lunge and possible linkup or ZOC blocks from the Dvina if there is a HQBU
We also manage to free the 3 divisions by shifting the motorised division and quickly attempt to extricate the units

< Message edited by SparkleyTits -- 2/20/2019 10:38:47 PM >

(in reply to SparkleyTits)
Post #: 32
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/20/2019 10:26:22 PM   
SparkleyTits

AGC week 3 start

Not much movement from Dinglr here
This definitely seems like an unprioritised front at the moment

Post #: 33
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/20/2019 10:27:32 PM   
SparkleyTits

AGC end of week 3

Black: I tried to limit panzer supplies with my airborne
With the landbridge looking like it is not given any prioritised objectives atm I reallocated as much as of my forces in AGC as I could to the Dvina/swamps area

Post #: 34
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/20/2019 10:30:49 PM   
SparkleyTits

AGS start of week 3

Ouch.......
I was very stupid to save all of my AP last turn thinking I was being clever and forgetting that AP is spent on the rebirth of units
I would of been served incredibly well to put in a better general and 3 more divisions into Dinglrs path of attack as I was pondering on doing but I decided against it in my complacency.
Lesson well learnt

Hindsight is always 20/20!

Post #: 35
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/20/2019 10:36:16 PM   
SparkleyTits

AGS end of week 3

I at least did learn a nice bit about some of Dinglrs attacking pathing which I can hopefully use going forward but this could just be me trying to convince myself that the lose of many good units actually had any relevance......

I decide not to put anything else into the fray in hopes of saving anything as AGS just isn't important enough
and I aren't going to throw more fuel into a fire, losing more in doing so

We run for the hills and let the evil facists have their haul of goodies and morale boosts that will bring!

Post #: 36
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/21/2019 3:07:43 AM   
56ajax

Ouch.......
I was very stupid to save all of my AP last turn thinking I was being clever and forgetting that AP is spent on the rebirth of units
I would of been served incredibly well to put in a better general and 3 more divisions into Dinglrs path of attack as I was pondering on doing but I decided against it in my complacency.
Lesson well learnt

Hindsight is always 20/20!

Doesn't this expenditure only happen from the 1st of November? Up till then it is free?

Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne

Post #: 37
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/21/2019 3:30:36 AM   
SparkleyTits

Well according to my notes I saved 44AP on turn 2 and I started up turn 3 with 74AP so 20AP went missing somewhere?
Honestly though I do not know though mate, I could be wrong and it happened through another avenue of obscurity I have no idea about (you never know with this game), I just assumed what I thought was the most likely option tbh

If anybody knows otherwise I would love to know!

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 38
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/21/2019 5:12:25 AM   
56ajax

quote:

ORIGINAL: SparkleyTits

Well according to my notes I saved 44AP on turn 2 and I started up turn 3 with 74AP so 20AP went missing somewhere?
Honestly though I do not know though mate, I could be wrong and it happened through another avenue of obscurity I have no idea about (you never know with this game), I just assumed what I thought was the most likely option tbh

If anybody knows otherwise I would love to know!

notes...Notes!....NOTES...well isn't it just a case of fix bayonets and charrrgge!!!

seriously there is a bug, defect or anomaly in Soviet admin points that I noticed years ago where, very rarely, you do not get the full amount. I have not been able to repeat it so probably too much vodka consumed. For me usually around T5/6 then again perhaps I imagined it. (Notes would have helped).

C'est la guerre aérienne

Post #: 39
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/21/2019 7:40:52 AM   
AlexSF

I think the re-formmtion of destroyed units is indeed free until November or December 41 but only for rifle division and maybe tanks, not sure. You should check the rules on that.

edit; 18.1.3. Rebuilding Destroyed Soviet Combat Units:
Soviet Rifle, Motorized and Tank divisions that are destroyed prior to November 1941 will be added to the reinforcement schedule to reenter
as empty or nearly empty units after a certain number of turns

So Cav and Mountain troops probably cost you AP to reform, even before Nov 41

< Message edited by AlexSF -- 2/21/2019 8:13:46 AM >

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 40
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/21/2019 8:17:10 AM   
curricular

To my knowledge, mountaineers and airborne don't reform. It might be the cavalry though. Should be easy to check against the destroyed unit records though.

(in reply to AlexSF)
Post #: 41
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/21/2019 8:57:10 AM   
timmyab

If I remember right units only regenerate for free if you have 0 APs so there is a strong incentive to spend APs. I can't remember if there's an end date on that.
Cav units do regenerate I think, mountain and parachute units don't. This makes Para and especially MTN units worthwhile targets. The Soviet player should protect mountain divs from encirclement during 41 and 42.

(in reply to curricular)
Post #: 42
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/21/2019 5:08:16 PM   
Neogodhobo

Whats that unit in front of Kiev with the rectangle ?

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 43
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/21/2019 5:13:00 PM   
SparkleyTits

It's a fort comrade but I use a map mod so it could be why it is an unfamiliar icon perhaps

(in reply to Neogodhobo)
Post #: 44
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/21/2019 5:39:17 PM   
Neogodhobo

Oh okay, thanks !

Post #: 45
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/21/2019 5:49:34 PM   
Dinglir

quote:

It's a fort comrade but I use a map mod so it could be why it is an unfamiliar icon perhaps

Wrong answer Sparkley!

What you should have said is: "It is a nuclear testing site from a special mod we use. If the Germans do not take it by turn five, the Soviets will start producing a-bombs (but these can only be dropped by pe-8's)."

Imagine the reaction to that one...

Or maybe I just have a weird sense of humour?

To be is to do -- Socrates
To do is to be -- Jean-Paul Sartre
Do be do be do -- Frank Sinatra

Post #: 46
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/21/2019 5:52:52 PM   
SparkleyTits

I missed my chance there didn't I

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 47
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/21/2019 11:46:18 PM   
56ajax

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlexSF

I think the re-formmtion of destroyed units is indeed free until November or December 41 but only for rifle division and maybe tanks, not sure. You should check the rules on that.

edit; 18.1.3. Rebuilding Destroyed Soviet Combat Units:
Soviet Rifle, Motorized and Tank divisions that are destroyed prior to November 1941 will be added to the reinforcement schedule to reenter
as empty or nearly empty units after a certain number of turns

So Cav and Mountain troops probably cost you AP to reform, even before Nov 41

So it could be destroyed Cav units or AT Brigades or those rare support units that surrender (attached to a fort)

C'est la guerre aérienne

(in reply to AlexSF)
Post #: 48
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/22/2019 12:43:45 AM   
Neogodhobo

Im not THAT new to the game haha

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 49
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/22/2019 4:40:45 AM   
randallw

I believe the dead cav and AT brigades are reestablished automatically ( up to the Nov or Dec '41 cutoff ). Possibly also happens with combat support units.

(in reply to Neogodhobo)
Post #: 50
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/22/2019 5:44:35 AM   
56ajax

quote:

ORIGINAL: timmyab

If I remember right units only regenerate for free if you have 0 APs so there is a strong incentive to spend APs. I can't remember if there's an end date on that.
Cav units do regenerate I think, mountain and parachute units don't. This makes Para and especially MTN units worthwhile targets. The Soviet player should protect mountain divs from encirclement during 41 and 42.

Not sure why you would bother protecting Mountain Divisions, they don't have any special value? Para yes as you can turn them into Guards divisions.

C'est la guerre aérienne

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 51
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/22/2019 5:51:49 AM   
curricular

Dude, what? They have +5 morale over rifles, can earn guards status, and don't have insane supply/movement cost through mountains.

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 52
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/22/2019 7:39:17 AM   
timmyab

Yeah they are also useful during the winter, especially first winter.

(in reply to curricular)
Post #: 53
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/22/2019 7:50:52 AM   
EwaldvonKleist

Not to mention they pay 1MP less for movement during blizzard.

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 54
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/22/2019 11:41:28 AM   
SparkleyTits

Mountains <3

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 55
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/23/2019 10:46:06 PM   
MattFL

quote:

AGN end of week 3

Black: Focused on setting up the hexes W and NW of Pskov as well as could be as this is the easiest route to Leningrad
Also tried to make sure no easy route around Pskov was possible with as little forces as I was willing to send
Red: I managed to stop fuel supplies to 2 of Dinglrs panzers
Yellow: I made high stacks instead of depth in hopes of redrawing Dinglrs attention back downward to waste more MP's
Unfortunately I had to leave weaknesses S/SE of Pskov for a coordinated lunge and possible linkup or ZOC blocks from the Dvina if there is a HQBU
We also manage to free the 3 divisions by shifting the motorised division and quickly attempt to extricate the units

A very small thing to be sure, but in your yellow box you have a 2=12 stack of three counters defending a hex that you don’t need to defend. Behind them it’s impassible and by placing the there you not only use 3 counters that could be much better used elsewhere, you also increase the risk of them being cut off. Also, in your line west of Leningrad you should defend the swamps to the west to shorten your line to 3 hexes instead of 5 hexes....Just a few observations that result in 7 counters freed up for deplloyment elsewhere.....

Post #: 56
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/23/2019 10:50:12 PM   
Fanstar1

I don't think that 2=12 stack can be saved if dinglir goes for a pincer on Veliki Luki.

(in reply to MattFL)
Post #: 57
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/23/2019 11:54:46 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

The 2=12 stack was pocketed/Zoc locked at the beginning of the turn.

(in reply to Fanstar1)
Post #: 58
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/24/2019 12:49:18 AM   
MattFL

quote:

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

The 2=12 stack was pocketed/Zoc locked at the beginning of the turn.

Ahh, ok, i see that now. Surprised that he was actually able to bounce that 20cv MOT unit to free them. Looking forward to the next turn as the G’s seem to have some good opportunities. Hard to telll though from a SOV replay.

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 59
RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome - 2/24/2019 1:36:19 AM   
SparkleyTits

Yes, sorry I forgot to take the start of picture turns!

At the beginning of my turn Dinglr had a 6-20CV MOT division in the swamp hex and captured 3 divisions but I freed them and extricated them into that hex

MOT perform rather awfully in swamp, rough, urban, dense woods (If there any more I am forgetting off of memory please do everybody do tell!) because of how the range values work in the combat engine so their CV is quite drastically lower than 20 when fighting in rough terrain (clear terrain has the opposite affect for panzers as they are stronger than their CV suggests)
In swamps very roughly they would of been somewhere more around 11-15 on map CV from my experience, depending on a bit of lady luck, making it much easier picking for saving them and extracating into that swamp hex so they had to be routed out for Dinglr to get anything out of it, wasting a week worth of his time for around 1 divisions worth of manpower

< Message edited by SparkleyTits -- 2/24/2019 1:37:23 AM >

(in reply to MattFL)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: The dunce (ST) vs the diligent (Dinglr) - all welcome Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI