Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: And now for something completely different...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: And now for something completely different... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: And now for something completely different... - 9/15/2019 12:00:08 PM   
mroyer

quote:

Maybe it is because the #POPUP line is blank?

I haven't tried editing decisions in SC3, but in SC2 a blank #POPUP line designated a dummy event that could fire in the background but wouldn't be visible to the player. Of course, #MESSAGE didn't exist in SC2 so something might have changed there.

Indeed, I've always used POPUP before too - for this campaign, I've tried both POPUP and MESSAGE without success. This is where new scripts from the new official campaigns use the <<TAG_NN>> syntax. <<TAG_NN>> seems to remotely reference language text entries (English, German, etc...) in separate text files. I've fiddled with that too, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right or whether we even need to. I was hoping I could just do it the old way without the <<TAG_NN>> entries. I'm doing it "the old way" in other non-decision events, i.e, not using the <<TAG_NN>> syntax and putting the English text directly into the script.

quote:

You could also try setting #TYPE=1 (assuming this still means 'fire once all conditions are true, one time only'). I've used that for every decision event I've written and it works fine.

Yeah, I actually started out with TYPE=1 and switch to 0 without any success. I've used both in the past successfully.

quote:

Also worth checking that Nation 53 actually starts 25% leaning towards Side 1 (and that 53 is the right one). In my most recent (yet unannounced but will be once its finished) project, I have screwed this up more times than I'd like to admit.

If it's not something simple (like POPUP or TYPE mentioned above) I suspect this is where the problem lies. Nation 53 (The Sapien Brotherhood) is a new nation created during the game at 50% mobilization towards side 1 (Terran Empire) using a mobilization-3 script. It is given control of a couple hexes with territory scripts. Those seem to be working fine as far as I can tell and the Sapien Brotherhood shows up on the war map and in the diplomacy list as expected. (I can post those scripts later if it would help. I'm at the wrong computer right now.) Once nation 53 exists, the Terran player should be given the decision to support it or not, but that script (listed in orange above) refuses to fire.

I have successfully written 100's of scripts for this campaign of various types (territory, mobilization, loop, partisan, and so on), but have yet to get a single decision script going. It's very perplexing.

Thanks for your thoughts BNC - I will retry those ideas again just to make absolutely sure I haven't done something silly wrong.

-Mark R.

(in reply to BiteNibbleChomp)
Post #: 31
RE: And now for something completely different... - 9/15/2019 10:33:46 PM   
BiteNibbleChomp

quote:

ORIGINAL: mroyer

quote:

Maybe it is because the #POPUP line is blank?

I haven't tried editing decisions in SC3, but in SC2 a blank #POPUP line designated a dummy event that could fire in the background but wouldn't be visible to the player. Of course, #MESSAGE didn't exist in SC2 so something might have changed there.

Indeed, I've always used POPUP before too - for this campaign, I've tried both POPUP and MESSAGE without success. This is where new scripts from the new official campaigns use the <<TAG_NN>> syntax. <<TAG_NN>> seems to remotely reference language text entries (English, German, etc...) in separate text files. I've fiddled with that too, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right or whether we even need to. I was hoping I could just do it the old way without the <<TAG_NN>> entries. I'm doing it "the old way" in other non-decision events, i.e, not using the <<TAG_NN>> syntax and putting the English text directly into the script.

OK I've looked through the Storm over Europe campaign and think I've figured out how the tag thing works.

In _1939/Storm over Europe/Scripts/Events there is a folder for each of the games languages (DE, EN, ES, FR). Each of those has a bunch of text files corresponding to the different script types. (I've copied the one for 'VICTORY' scripts below, simply because it is the shortest.:

quote:

<<TAG_1>>= AXIS MAJOR VICTORY
<<TAG_2>>= AXIS DECISIVE VICTORY
<<TAG_3>>= AXIS MINOR VICTORY
<<TAG_4>>= ALLIED DECISIVE VICTORY
<<TAG_5>>= ALLIED MINOR VICTORY

Seems to be a localisation file, where an event with text '<<TAG_1>>' will show up with whatever text is listed here, using the set of tags from whatever language is selected (so if the required cities are captured for an Axis Decisive Victory, the same script fires regardless of what language is chosen, but if english is chosen it shows up as 'AXIS DECISIVE VICTORY' but if german is chosen that same script appears as 'GROSSER SIEG FÜR DIE ACHSENMÄCHTE'.

If I'm right about that, then your decision script would need to have
#MESSAGE= <<TAG_1>>

Then create the folder EN in <your campaign folder>/Scripts/Events, and then create decision.txt within that, containing the following:
<<TAG_1>>= Shall we support the Sapien Brotherhood?%N%NYes or No.

quote:

If it's not something simple (like POPUP or TYPE mentioned above) I suspect this is where the problem lies. Nation 53 (The Sapien Brotherhood) is a new nation created during the game at 50% mobilization towards side 1 (Terran Empire) using a mobilization-3 script. It is given control of a couple hexes with territory scripts. Those seem to be working fine as far as I can tell and the Sapien Brotherhood shows up on the war map and in the diplomacy list as expected. (I can post those scripts later if it would help. I'm at the wrong computer right now.) Once nation 53 exists, the Terran player should be given the decision to support it or not, but that script (listed in orange above) refuses to fire.

Is 53 created out of a territory script purely, or does it partly exist on the map beforehand? Because I'm not sure if Territory scripts by themselves can (properly) 'create' nations, only add to them. Again speaking from SC2, I tried this at one point and the nation appeared on the map fine, but it had a war entry script meant to bring it in as soon as it was created, and that never fired. If I used the other side to declare war on it though, then it would enter.
To solve that I used a Surrender 1 to create the nation instead, although I'm not sure how well that would fit your campaign. Those fire instantly after a nation surrenders, and you could use a surrender 2 to force-surrender a nation to create this new one.

...Although, you said that the event would fire "right away", which I take means Turn 1? Because if that's the case, wouldn't it be easier to just have 53 on the map from the start? (Perhaps with a popup that says 'Look, these guys recently got created'?)

- BNC

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 32
RE: And now for something completely different... - 9/16/2019 11:25:35 AM   
BillRunacre

quote:

ORIGINAL: BiteNibbleChomp

Also worth checking that Nation 53 actually starts 25% leaning towards Side 1 (and that 53 is the right one). In my most recent (yet unannounced but will be once its finished) project, I have screwed this up more times than I'd like to admit.

This is what I think is the most likely culprit too.

Note that this will only fire if Country 53 is neutral, if it enters the war then it won't happen.

Sounds interesting about the new project.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Post #: 33
RE: And now for something completely different... - 9/16/2019 11:36:27 AM   
mroyer

Darn it!! I had the political alignment indexes backwards... aargh....
The comment at the top of the file was backward and I copied it through. Mia culpa.

I'd say that is the singular biggest time sink is that scripts are written with numeric indexing rather than encoded with human-readable text. I've thought of writing a processor to handle that, but it would be a big task - but boy, could it save time in campaign development.

Thanks for the help BNC and Bill. We're off and running again - like getting stuck in the mud every now and then on the long journey.

-Mark R.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 34
RE: And now for something completely different... - 9/19/2019 4:56:12 PM   
BillRunacre

Glad to hear you got it fixed, and the scripts used to be done a slightly different way but that method was even harder for both modders and us as developers!

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 35
RE: And now for something completely different... - 9/20/2019 10:45:38 AM   
mroyer

When a new nation is created with a territory script, while the first city in the territory list becomes the capital, it appears that the rest of the urban resources lose their resource status. So, for example, a remote industrial center is no longer an industrial center and new units of the new nation cannot deploy there.

Is there any way to preserve the urban resource center status of hexes when a new nation is formed?

-Mark R.

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 36
RE: And now for something completely different... - 9/21/2019 2:13:11 PM   
BiteNibbleChomp

quote:

ORIGINAL: mroyer

When a new nation is created with a territory script, while the first city in the territory list becomes the capital, it appears that the rest of the urban resources lose their resource status. So, for example, a remote industrial center is no longer an industrial center and new units of the new nation cannot deploy there.

Is there any way to preserve the urban resource center status of hexes when a new nation is formed?

-Mark R.

I don't believe so. Others have asked something similar about adding alternate capitals and the like, which has been confirmed as not possible (At least at the time of those threads).

On a very slightly related note, I managed to screw up a unit spawn script the other day and spent three test games (each about 9 hours) trying to work out why. The reason:
#CONDITION_POSITION= 81,31 [9,9] [1,1] [0] [0]
The tile and range was ok (one unit within 9 of 81,31). But it was looking for neutral units instead of an alliance's units.
So be sure to check your scripts carefully

- BNC

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 37
RE: And now for something completely different... - 9/21/2019 3:20:54 PM   
mroyer

quote:

So be sure to check your scripts carefully

Indeed.
Never script without putting your text-parsing eye-wear on!!

-Mark R.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 38
RE: And now for something completely different... - 11/11/2019 1:54:15 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Mark,

Just curious if you are still working on this mod and if it was this mod that had that font display issue? I believe I might have a fix for this and was wondering if you could send me an email at support@furysoftware.com

Hubert

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 39
RE: And now for something completely different... - 11/28/2019 11:48:33 AM   
mroyer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

Hi Mark,

Just curious if you are still working on this mod and if it was this mod that had that font display issue? I believe I might have a fix for this and was wondering if you could send me an email at support@furysoftware.com

Hubert

(email sent)

Hi Hubert,

Yes, this mod (Bellum Galaxia) is the mod that wouldn't display the Greek characters properly in certain contexts. For the cases where it wasn't working correctly, I've changed the characters back to regular text words (e.g., α Centauri is Alpha Centauri in places where the α won't display properly).

Sorry for the very delayed response. I just noticed your question. I've been taking a much needed break on this mod while giving Alvaro's very nice WarPlan a go. I intend to circle back here and continue soon.

-Mark Royer

< Message edited by mroyer -- 11/28/2019 12:04:21 PM >

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: And now for something completely different... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI