Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS America (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS America (A) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/18/2019 2:38:43 PM   
USSAmerica

Back from my second trip in 10 days. I'll finish up my turn and get it back to Mike tonight so we can get the shootin' going again.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 31
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/22/2019 9:23:14 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Back from my second trip in 10 days.

Well, la-tee-dah. Must be nice to be a 'Globetrotter'.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 32
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/24/2019 2:43:37 PM   
USSAmerica

Dec 10-11 turn:

Troops, planes, and ships are on the move everywhere! I can't wait until many of the troops on the ground reach their assigned destinations, especially in Oz, India, and China. It will make the turn much faster to evaluate and issue orders.

At Pearl Harbor, the planes damaged in the initial attack are repairing nicely. I've got a bunch of them flying Naval Search and ASW Patrol, along with most of the squadrons from Lex and Enterprise. There are about 10-12 ASW TF's also working the waters in the area. The reason is the 20 spotted Japanese subs in the area. There are probably a couple more that are not spotted yet. Even if I don't kill them, my squadrons and DD's will gain a little experience as they attempt to attack, the subs are burning up torpedoes by shooting at my DD's, and I did get one depth charge hit on I-4 (identified as such but who knows which sub it actually was). The goal is to chase off most of these subs so I can start shipping into and out of this region more safely. WV continues to fight off the inevitable. Her fires increased this turn to 78, despite flooding dropping from 98 to 97. Only a matter of time now.

In the PI, Mike continues to land troops and advance. I'm still slowly pulling back to Manila for my stand. My planes here were routed so effectively on the first day that they have not been able to offer token resistance since. At least I did manage to buy and fly out 2 squadrons of B-17D's. More merchant shipping was lost here today but a good couple of handfuls will make their escape to safer waters. My S-Boats stationed just north of Luzon and just south of Davao scored a few hits on transports and put two torpedoes into CS Mizuho. Some empty and some with troops aboard. I've run into a glitch with a sub TF of the more modern subs that I sent north to patrol off of Formosa. I put about 15 subs into the TF and sent it to a patrol point as I have frequently done. When they arrive at the destination, I split them up into single sub TF's and spread them out. This particular TF won't let me select any ships to put into a new sub patrol TF. Strange. I'm going to send another sub TF to the same hex and see if having a second TF there will allow the ships to be moved and split. If not, I'll send them to the nearest port to disband the TF and reform them as single subs.

In the DEI, a powerful 3 CA Jap TF caught and sank several of my xAKL's just north of the straights between Borneo and Celebes. I'm moving Force Z to the area from Soerabaja, reinforced with Marblehead and a few US DD's. Boise and a few more US DD's will merge with them from Balikpapan. With 2 day turns, they won't quite reach the last location of the enemy SC TF, but could be within reaction range. If the enemy moves any distance closer to Balikpapan, they could be in for a nice surprise.

In Malaya, the enemy troops that landed at Mersing routed the Aussie Bde defending and pushed them back to Johore Bahru. Two enemy tank Rgt's pursued them to try to cut the rail line into Singapore. I had a bunch of ground forces who were railing to Singapore and already arrived at Johore Bahru including 3 Indian Bde's, some Artillery, and an AT gun Rgt. They are all unpacking to combat mode over the next 2 day turn and I'll attach the exposed tanks next turn. I think I'll be able to hit them before any Infantry can move into the hex along the dirt road.

At Singapore I also corrected a big mistake I had made. To date, no TB's have flown against the shipping at Mersing. I realized that the number of airgroups active at Singapore was over the base Admin limit, despite having plenty of room at the AF and plenty of AV support. I know Mike must be wondering where my TB's went. Hopefully he will find them the hard way next turn.

In China, my handful of DB-3Ms and Hudsons managed to damage 2 of the 9 oil centers at Taihoku on Formosa. Mike commented that he's never seen Chinese bombers so effective. It's only a nuisance, but it will likely force Mike to move a fighter squadron to defend, when he wants to use them elsewhere. As soon as he does I'll stop hitting him there, but until then, bombs away! At least one place on the map where he is reacting to me.

The turn went back to Mike yesterday evening, so I might see a replay before the weekend is over.

< Message edited by USSAmerica -- 3/24/2019 2:45:09 PM >

Mike

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 33
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/24/2019 6:51:00 PM   
rustysi

quote:

At least one place on the map where he is reacting to me.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 34
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/25/2019 1:23:09 PM   
Bif1961

Bomb his infantry at Mersing to change the status from movement to combat to slow them down so it will take a few extra turns for them to come to the support of the fast moving armored units, to give you time to change your forces to combat mode and attack the isolated tank units.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 35
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/25/2019 1:44:26 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

Dec 10-11 turn:

... I've run into a glitch with a sub TF of the more modern subs that I sent north to patrol off of Formosa. I put about 15 subs into the TF and sent it to a patrol point as I have frequently done. When they arrive at the destination, I split them up into single sub TF's and spread them out. This particular TF won't let me select any ships to put into a new sub patrol TF. Strange. I'm going to send another sub TF to the same hex and see if having a second TF there will allow the ships to be moved and split. If not, I'll send them to the nearest port to disband the TF and reform them as single subs...

Can you post a screenshot of (a) the sub TF info screen and (b) the location of the TF?

Alfred

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 36
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/25/2019 1:47:24 PM   
Alfred

quote:

Dec 10-11 turn:

...At Singapore I also corrected a big mistake I had made. To date, no TB's have flown against the shipping at Mersing. I realized that the number of airgroups active at Singapore was over the base Admin limit, despite having plenty of room at the AF and plenty of AV support. I know Mike must be wondering where my TB's went. Hopefully he will find them the hard way next turn...

Screenshot of the relevant TB units please. If you are relying upon the Vildebeest there are possible other factors in play such as you ordering them to fly with drop tanks.

Alfred

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 37
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/25/2019 3:37:58 PM   
USSAmerica

Alfred, I'll try to grab these this evening. The sub TF is strange, but I'm pretty sure the TB's were due to being over the AF admin limit.

Mike

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 38
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/25/2019 3:40:26 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

Bomb his infantry at Mersing to change the status from movement to combat to slow them down so it will take a few extra turns for them to come to the support of the fast moving armored units, to give you time to change your forces to combat mode and attack the isolated tank units.

Bif, a good suggestion that I didn't order before sending the turn back to Mike Saturday afternoon.

With 2 day turns, my troops will all be unpacked next turn and ready to make a deliberate attack. I'll order some LB's to hit his infantry at Mersing next turn, so maybe it will make a difference then if they are very close to finishing their march.

Mike

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 39
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/25/2019 11:52:07 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

Dec 10-11 turn:

... I've run into a glitch with a sub TF of the more modern subs that I sent north to patrol off of Formosa. I put about 15 subs into the TF and sent it to a patrol point as I have frequently done. When they arrive at the destination, I split them up into single sub TF's and spread them out. This particular TF won't let me select any ships to put into a new sub patrol TF. Strange. I'm going to send another sub TF to the same hex and see if having a second TF there will allow the ships to be moved and split. If not, I'll send them to the nearest port to disband the TF and reform them as single subs...

Can you post a screenshot of (a) the sub TF info screen and (b) the location of the TF?

Alfred

Ok, here is a screenshot of the Sub Patrol TF with it's location on the map as the selected TF:

When I click on the Form new TF button, the Select Mission panel opens with no missions available. Then, if I continue by clicking Done, proceed to ship selection, there are no ships available.

Attachment (1)

Mike

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 40
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/26/2019 12:00:04 AM   
USSAmerica

quote:

quote:

Dec 10-11 turn:

...At Singapore I also corrected a big mistake I had made. To date, no TB's have flown against the shipping at Mersing. I realized that the number of airgroups active at Singapore was over the base Admin limit, despite having plenty of room at the AF and plenty of AV support. I know Mike must be wondering where my TB's went. Hopefully he will find them the hard way next turn...

Screenshot of the relevant TB units please. If you are relying upon the Vildebeest there are possible other factors in play such as you ordering them to fly with drop tanks.

Alfred

Here is a shot of one of the TB squadrons. If they don't go after the enemy ships this turn, I've noticed I may have fallen victim to the "no search from our squadron" factor. There is lots of Naval Search coverage from other squadrons at this AF.
Morale is still a little low as it's still only 12/12/41 and they haven't recovered yet from the shock of Japan's attack yet. No drop tanks selected for the Vildebeests. Two squadrons of them and one Swordfish squadron are standing by to attack, now that I corrected the AF Admin limit issue.

Attachment (1)

Mike

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 41
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/26/2019 2:40:25 AM   
BBfanboy

For that TB squadron - between the low morale and low aggression of the commander, and the possibility that there is LRCAP over Mersing, there is enough to make me think the no-fly die rolls were not unusual.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 42
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/26/2019 12:24:22 PM   
USSAmerica

I didn't pay much attention to the squadron leaders in the Malaya theater. I consider these squadrons "one shot" weapons so not worth spending my limited PP's to change them out in the early days.

Still waiting to get the turn and replay back from Mike to see if the adjusted squadron mission assignments at Singapore below the Admin limit made a difference.

Mike

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 43
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/26/2019 1:32:41 PM   
Alfred

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dec 10-11 turn:

Alfred

Ok, here is a screenshot of the Sub Patrol TF with it's location on the map as the selected TF:

When I click on the Form new TF button, the Select Mission panel opens with no missions available. Then, if I continue by clicking Done, proceed to ship selection, there are no ships available.

Try cancelling the patrol zone order first and then click on the form new TF button.

Alfred

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 44
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/26/2019 1:52:12 PM   
Alfred

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dec 10-11 turn:

Alfred

Here is a shot of one of the TB squadrons. If they don't go after the enemy ships this turn, I've noticed I may have fallen victim to the "no search from our squadron" factor. There is lots of Naval Search coverage from other squadrons at this AF.
Morale is still a little low as it's still only 12/12/41 and they haven't recovered yet from the shock of Japan's attack yet. No drop tanks selected for the Vildebeests. Two squadrons of them and one Swordfish squadron are standing by to attack, now that I corrected the AF Admin limit issue.

An overstacked airfield does not prevent an air unit from flying.

An overstacked AF results from having either too many aircraft present (determined by the 50 engine per AF level rule) or too many air units present (the admin rule which is AF level plus 1). Both rules are modified by various factors (eg HQ, training, level 9 AF).

The consequences of an overstacked AF are the following penalties:

• reduces the number of sorties which the air unit can make
  • increases losses from enemy attack
  • slows aircraft repairs

The penalties do not include a forced complete stand down of the air unit from participating in air missions.

In addition to the above overstacking penalties, even in an understacked AF, there are 3 checks made

• unit experience
  • unit leadership
  • unit morale

Each check failed reduces the number of sorties flown that phase by 25%.

Failure to pass any of the unit checks, combined with the overstacking penalties, can result in practically no aircraft of the unit being available to sortie. You can reduce the overstacking aspect by placing units on training etc but if those unit checks are not passed, not many will fly anyway.

Alfred

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 45
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/26/2019 5:15:08 PM   
USSAmerica

Thanks for the info, Alfred! I'm still waiting to get the replay to see if anyone flew last turn, and if not, I'll consider swapping a leader or two.

I'll also try removing the Patrol Zone from my sub TF to see if that allows anything. I can still test that from my last turn before another sub TF moves into the hex with them.

Mike

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 46
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/27/2019 4:20:08 AM   
USSAmerica

Removing the patrol zone from my troublesome Sub Patrol TF didn't allow me to create a new TF, nor did changing the home port and destination back to Manila. I am able to change the existing TF mission type to Sub Transport and back to Sub Patrol, but just can't create a new TF from it. This might be a clue. When I do select Create TF and get the Mission selection panel, it says the new TF will be #271. The current one it TF 801. What is the number range for Japanese TF's?

Mike

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 47
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/27/2019 5:16:20 PM   
rustysi

quote:

What is the number range for Japanese TF's?

IIRC there are no 'number ranges', TF's just use whatever number is available when created.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 48
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/27/2019 5:18:56 PM   
rustysi

I know I've done what you're trying to do before, and I don't recall ever having problems. Its been a while though.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 49
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/27/2019 5:44:57 PM   
USSAmerica

It actually worked just fine for me with the other Sub Patrol TF that I sent up to the north of Luzon. The 6 other subs you can see in my screenshot above were split from one TF that left Manila together.

Mike

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 50
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/28/2019 9:38:20 PM   
rustysi

Something weird/unusual... Did you try hitting 'return to Darwin' and going from that point?

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 51
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/28/2019 11:06:34 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Something weird/unusual... Did you try hitting 'return to Darwin' and going from that point?

That's one of the button click combinations that I had not tried, but I have now, and still no luck. I also created another TF from an existing transport TF to see if selecting a different TF number would make a difference, but no joy. Once I get the turn back I'll try with a second TF in the hex and if that still doesn't work, I can disband the TF in one of the nearby unoccupied ports and create them individually from there.

Mike

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 52
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 3/31/2019 6:56:56 PM   
rustysi

Strange. Don't recall ever having such a situation.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 53
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 4/1/2019 12:00:25 AM   
USSAmerica

I'll have an update on the war posted soon, as I'm currently working the turn. I did test and I can move subs and create new TFs from the "stuck" Sub Patrol group now that I moved a second sub TF into the hex. My TBs at Singapore also flew last turn.

Mike

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 54
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 4/4/2019 2:55:14 AM   
USSAmerica

Dec 12-13 turn:

This was a really long combat replay! There are ships, planes, and troops in contact with the enemy in almost every corner of the map. Generally, Mike is still advancing on all fronts, picking off some stragglers attempting to escape from the PI, and trying to kill off what's left of my meager fighter forces at Manila and Singapore. I have managed to score a few hits in return, mostly with my subs. I'll hit the high points below.

Malaya saw my TBs from Singapore finally fly and they hit 3 or 4 transports off Mersing. The only attacks on Japanese warships missed their targets. His two tank units are still alone at Johore Bahru. I'll be Deliberate attacking them with 3 or 4 brigades that were unpacked out of Strategic mode last turn. I have set 2 bomber groups to hit the follow up troops still marching out of the Mersing hex to try to slow them down. If I get lucky and give him a bit of a bloody nose here, I could force him to retreat back to Mersing and open the rail line for more resources to flow into Singapore for another day or two. That will be a little bit more supply later on for the defense of Singapore.

In the DEI, Mike split up the strong 3 CA SC TF he had been using to bash my xAKLs. I'm sure he was figuring he could catch more of my scattered TFs that way. It was lucky for him that he did. My SC TF centered around PoW and Repulse, reinforced with Marblehead and Boise, caught one of his split TFs that chased some of my ships toward Balikpapan. It worked out well for me:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Balikpapan at 64,100, Range 5,000 Yards

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
E13A1 Jake: 1 destroyed
F1M2 Pete: 1 destroyed
E7K2 Alf: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CA Nachi, Shell hits 29, and is sunk
CL Nagara, Shell hits 10, and is sunk
DD Yamakaze, Shell hits 2
DD Kawakaze, Shell hits 7, and is sunk

Allied Ships
BB Prince of Wales, Shell hits 11
BC Repulse, Shell hits 1
CL Java
CL De Ruyter
CL Tromp
CL Marblehead
CL Boise
DD John D. Ford
DD Peary
DD Pillsbury
DD Pope
DD Vampire
DD Banckert
DD Van Nes
DD Witte de With
DD Evertsen
DD Kortenaer
DD Piet Hein
DD Tenedos
DD Electra
DD Express

Yamakaze escaped the initial fire fight, but my TF chased her down and finished her off over two more engagements. If all 3 of Mike's previously present CAs were still in this TF I would have likely taken more damage, but he probably would have lost more than 1 of them. I know I had way more ships in this TF than are usually effective in a surface fight, but I was anticipating a meeting engagement with a much larger enemy force and wanted many more targets for them to try to hit. I also wanted as much ASW in the TF as possible as Mike's subs are very active in the DEI.

Now, one of the reasons I decided to move into this area was that Mike had 1 or 2 CVL/E at most in the area of the Celebes Sea the previous turn and they made multiple torpedo attacks on my fleeing xAKLs. I was banking on them being out of torpedoes and I was right. When the sun rose, there were two attacks on my SC TF from CV based Kates with only 1 bomb hit each on PoW and Repulse. A calculated risk on my part but it paid off well in the form of a bloody nose for the IJN.

PoW is out of main gun ammo, so I'm going to retreat to refuel at Balikpapan and then return to Sorebaja to rearm and maybe repair a bit of the 16 Sys damage that PoW took from shells and a bomb. Mike doesn't know I'm out of BB ammo so he will almost have to pull back the other TF's he has operating in the area for at least a turn or two. This is about the best result I could hope for from a quick counter punch this early. Time to look for the next opportunity. It will most likely come in another region as Mike is sure to reinforce his naval forces in this area with some BBs to counter Pow. I won't pick a fight with them nor risk a surface fight with them if I can avoid it.

Up north of Luzon, my misbehaving Sub Patrol TF allowed me to form new TFs after I had a second one join them in the hex. They are now all spread out in the area west of Formosa. I'm trying to stay out of shallow water hexes, especially for the first year when my torpedoes are so ineffective. In deep water my survival chances go way up and I am happy enough with a 20% chance of my torpedoes actually exploding into enemy ships. Home port for all the subs in this area has been changed to Darwin, where I'm slowly building up my forces, building out the port, and relocating several AS support ships to reload torps.

Around Pearl, the large IJN sub presence is still in place. Saratoga arrived on the scene last turn and has added her air group to the ASW efforts, along with two more ASW TFs formed from her DD escorts. I have all 3 of my early CVs at Pearl now with their air groups flying mostly Naval Search and ASW. Sooner or later, Mike's subs will build up some damage that has to be repaired, will run short of fish, or maybe even have one or two sunk. I'm gaining some good experience as well. I have not yet sent any significant shipping out of Pearl yet, or had any major convoys leave the West Coast yet. In a few more days I'll have to take the chance and get a little bit of supply and fuel moving to the SoPac island bases, but I can still afford to play "Whack a Sub" around here for a couple more turns.

The valiant crew of BB West Virginia continues to struggle to save her, but her fires continue to increase. She will see at least one more sunrise, but not too many more.

Mike

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 55
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 4/4/2019 9:07:50 AM   
seich_23

I dont get why japanese players let allies keep force Z. They should go north always.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 56
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 4/4/2019 11:22:10 AM   
BBfanboy

Soerabaja is a trap for any ship sitting there more than a day or two. It is all too easy for KB, Mini-KB or strong IJN SCTFs to dash down there and hit the shipping in port under repair. The three days to get a ship out of pierside or shipyard repair is usually fatal. Darwin is a similar pocket trap.

I would just rearm PoW and company at Soerabaja (if there is enough supply) and head for Sydney or Colombo for repairs. Use mines and PTs to help protect the port.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 57
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 4/4/2019 12:04:47 PM   
USSAmerica

Seich, you're talking about choosing to play a Historical or Non-historical first turn. It's always up to the players to decide before starting a game.

BB, you are absolutely correct about the safety of Sorebaja (and Darwin). I just demonstrated that to Mike by hitting his force from Sorebaja. When playing 2 day turns as we are, it's even more important to consider if any enemy ships can reach my ports if they move directly toward them over 2 days. I will only use Sorebaja's port to rearm and repair a few points while the ships are still there. Next turn I'll have to decide if I want some or all of them to head toward Colombo or Sydney. I'm leaning toward Sydney as I suspect they would have more chance to deliver another surprise counter punch in that region.

Mike

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 58
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 4/4/2019 5:56:06 PM   
USSAmerica

Mike and I are playing with the latest official patch... 1124. I just found this nugget listed as a bugfix in the Beta under build ... 1125:

"Fix rare case where the highest TF# was not allowed to form new TFs when alone in hex"

I'll check the TF# of my formerly troublesome sub patrol TF, but this is exactly what I had run into. Moving an additional TF into the hex resolved the issue.

Mike

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 59
RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS Am... - 4/10/2019 4:54:25 PM   
USSAmerica

No turn back from Mike yet, but I found this very relevant post from Lowpe in Obvert's AAR against Canoerebel:

"The economic constraints on Japan can vary from game to game, but there always is one or more. That the Allied player almost never, ever coordinates their military goals with economic is perhaps one of their greatest failures.

Chalk it up to most Allied players never really understanding Japan's economic system & situation, or perhaps it is simply so easy to rely upon the bigger wrench theory and the path of least resistance.

Whatever, the case, it makes for much longer end games. "

Oil. I intend to make Mike's economic constraint Oil in our game. Aside from organizing and planning some of my movements from the West Coast to forward areas, I've been filling the time while waiting for the turn with trying to lay out some longer term strategic goals. Until Mike forces me to change my plans I want to invest heavily in an attack axis from Darwin to Koepang, then Kendari, and finally Manado. Reaching, capturing, holding, and building out Manado will accomplish one of the goals of MacArthur and Halsey by cutting off shipping to and from the SRA to Japan everywhere South and East of the Philippines. They got there through the Solomons and New Guinea. One advantage of starting from Darwin, assuming I can build it and the connecting bases up well enough, is that I can bomb oil production along the way, and not just after I reach Manado. I figure if I cut off shipping South of the PI I can swarm the areas between Singapore and Japan, North of Borneo and the PI, with my subs. By that time I should have fully effective torpedoes. If I'm able to pursue this axis of attack it will be interesting to see how well I can support it from Darwin. I anticipate there will be a lot of naval action in this theater and I'll probably have to fight to keep shipping supplies into the area. I'd rather fight here in late 42 and 43 where I can have some LBA assistance than in the open Pacific where Mike will likely have a CV advantage over me until at least late 43. Just some thoughts for now, but the goal of targeting his oil will not waver.

Mike

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: THREAD War: Mike & Mike - Mike Solli (J) vs. USS America (A) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI