Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: D-day (day) trip

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: D-day (day) trip Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: D-day (day) trip - 5/8/2019 6:25:10 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

Wow, you sound like a Redsox fan prior to 2004, always expecting the worst outcome. It's only a 1-0 difference, mate, and you're away now!
warspite1

No, just a Spurs fan of almost 50 years.... Disappointment is such a regular occurrence its something one learns to live with - but the pain of failure after failure doesn't get any less. I hate football and I am going to hate tonight - I'm wound up like a drum in anticipation of the embarrassing debacle to come - we will either stink the place out or will lose to an own goal in the 96th minute....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 61
RE: D-day (day) trip - 5/8/2019 6:27:09 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Gentlemen, we seem to have run this thread firmly off the rails of the OP's subject. I refer, of course, to the cross-thread obtuse references to...soccer...

Please observe the General Discussion thread on this topic for future discussions.

What's the penalty for taking a thread off-topic? Is it the same as for not taking a thread off-topic?
warspite1

For ******* sake Zorch, what are you ******** on about? Why do you have to go and take this thread off topic like that? For ****** sake ya *******

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 62
RE: D-day (day) trip - 5/8/2019 6:38:07 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

Gentlemen, we seem to have run this thread firmly off the rails of the OP's subject. I refer, of course, to the cross-thread obtuse references to...soccer...

Please observe the General Discussion thread on this topic for future discussions.

What's the penalty for taking a thread off-topic? Is it the same as for not taking a thread off-topic?
warspite1

For ******* sake Zorch, what are you ******** on about? Why do you have to go and take this thread off topic like that? For ****** sake ya *******

My dear Warspite, you may not be aware of it, but there is a dire shortage of asterisks in some less privileged parts of the globe. We who have so much should spare a thought before we so wastefully exhaust the world's last reserves. Future generations may regret out prodigious use of extraneous punctuation.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 63
RE: D-day (day) trip - 5/8/2019 6:40:22 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

My dear Warspite, you may not be aware of it, but there is a dire shortage of asterisks in some less privileged parts of the globe. We who have so much should spare a thought before we so wastefully exhaust the world's last reserves. Future generations may regret out prodigious use of extraneous punctuation.
warspite1

Really? ******* me, I had no ********** idea that was the case. Soz.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 64
RE: D-day (day) trip - 5/8/2019 6:49:10 PM   
Orm

Nothing to do with the D-day. And to far away to combine with D-day excursions. Still a great place to visit. Although beware that the number of tourists can be very high.

Attachment (1)

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 65
RE: D-day (day) trip - 5/8/2019 6:50:34 PM   
Anachro

I've been there. Fun place! Mt St Michel for those who don't know.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 66
RE: D-day (day) trip - 5/8/2019 9:01:10 PM   
Anachro

Hey, hey Warspite. Just believe buddy!

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 67
RE: D-day (day) trip - 5/8/2019 9:59:36 PM   
ian77

quote:

No, just a Spurs fan of almost 50 years.... Disappointment is such a regular occurrence its something one learns to live with - but the pain of failure after failure doesn't get any less. I hate football and I am going to hate tonight - I'm wound up like a drum in anticipation of the embarrassing debacle to come - we will either stink the place out or will lose to an own goal in the 96th minute....

So you starting to feel happier now... injury time winner ...

< Message edited by ian77 -- 5/8/2019 10:00:25 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 68
RE: D-day (day) trip - 5/8/2019 10:44:57 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ian77

quote:

warspite1

Happy? I'm piggin' ecstatic!!!!

(in reply to ian77)
Post #: 69
RE: D-day (day) trip - 5/9/2019 8:15:54 AM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ian77

quote:

warspite1

Happy? I'm piggin' ecstatic!!!!

What an unbelievable two games in the Champion's League this week. Last night was absolutely amazing.

Being an American Brit I can root for all teams (nearly) equally, so this was a fun one to watch. (I exclude Chelsea from that statement though. I will never pull for Chelsea).

Will Kane be back? Will Moura be on the bench if he is back for the final? Don't you have to start him now?

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 70
RE: D-day (day) trip - 5/9/2019 1:25:24 PM   
Anachro

As of events yesterday, I'd like to charge Liverpudlians and London Coys with war crimes and atrocities committed on the peoples of Barcelona and Amsterdam. I will not stand for it!

@Warspite I'm not sure if you are aware of Redsox history and my 2004 Redsox allusion, but for 86 years the Boston Redsox suffered under the Curse of the Bambino where they failed to win the championship (and what is more galling is that in the early 1900's they were the juggernaut with 5 championships). They'd make many runs, get close, but somehow, someway, they'd squander their chances in the end and fail to win. The most striking example would be Bill Buckner's error on a very simple, routine play to end the game that would have won them the championship in 1986.

Then in 2004, they conducted one of the greatest comebacks in American sports, coming back from being down 3-0 in a seven game series to win 4-3 against their arch-rivals, the New York Yankees...and then they went on the break the curse and win the championship after quite easily. They've won three additional championships since.

Interesting to note, both Liverpool and Redsox are own by FSG.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 5/9/2019 4:27:22 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 71
RE: D-day (day) trip - 5/9/2019 4:30:09 PM   
warspite1

quote:

@Warspite I'm not sure if you are aware of Redsox history and my 2004 Redsox allusion, but for 86 years the Boston Redsox suffered under the Curse of the Bambino where they failed to win the championship (and what is more galling is that in the early 1900's they were the juggernaut with 5 championships). They'd make many runs, get close, but somehow, someway, they'd squander their chances in the end and fail to win. The most striking example would be Bill Buckner's error on a very simple, routine play to end the game that would have won them the championship in 1986.

Then in 2004, they conducted one of the greatest comebacks in American sports, coming back from being down 3-0 in a seven game series to win 4-3 against their arch-rivals, the New York Yankees...and then they went on the break the curse and win the championship after quite easily. They've won three additional championships since.
warspite1

Pure. Frontier. Gibberish.

No I didn't know, thanks for the info and the video - poor guy

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 72
RE: D-day (day) trip - 5/9/2019 6:56:00 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Pure. Frontier. Gibberish.

There may be hope for you yet, Warspite. Now we're going to learn about the Chicago Cubs and the Curse of the Billy Goat.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 73
RE: D-day (day) trip - 5/9/2019 7:17:44 PM   
Orm

quote:

How could you not know?

I thought you were allknowing.

Anyway. Now you know it all.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 74
RE: D-day (day) trip - 5/9/2019 7:47:28 PM   
ian77

You just cant argue with authentic frontier gibberish

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 75
RE: D-day (day) trip - 5/11/2019 6:18:27 AM   
warspite1

quote:

The land campaign in Italy is not something I know that much about but this maybe a good starting point. Monte Cassino and the Poles has been mentioned as an example of the British being happy for non-British troops under its command to take heavy losses. There were iirc 4 attempts to take Cassino and, ultimately it was the Poles that succeeded. Because there were four attempts it might be useful to look at how events unfolded, which troops were used, what the casualty rates were, why were the Poles used in the fourth attempt? were they used earlier? etc. etc.

Any Italian Campaign experts here? I assume mind_messing you know something of this as I believe it was you that used Monte Cassino as an example of British profligacy with non-British troops under it's command?

quote:

I had family that fought at Cassino - he was quite firm in his opinion that the Poles were sent in as it was regarded as a suicide mission, and that the Polish troops were given the job to avoid the fallout that heavy losses to the other units of the 8th Army would have. The Poles were in no position to refuse to argue.

Again, this is the best you can come up with? So let’s get this right (and as said I am no expert on the Italian Campaign). There were 4 attempts to take the objective. But what? Only the fourth attempt was a suicide mission?? The first three were just a laugh and the US, French, British, Canadian and Indian forces were on a jolly? Why was the 4th attempt harder than the first three? and were only Poles committed to the 4th attempt or did others - such as the British for example - take part?

quote:

The Poles were in no position to argue?
So, for example, when the British X Corps made the first assault they were consulted as to whether they fancied it or not??

And how did – what apparently was widely regarded as a suicide mission - turn out then?

warspite1

Well the discussion has whet my appetite for learning a bit more about the non-naval Italian Campaign. So where better to start than Monte Cassino. This book appears to have good reviews so let's see what Parker has to say about the four attempts at taking this famous objective.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 76
RE: D-day (day) trip - 8/13/2021 12:38:00 PM   
Jared426

Don't underestimate geography ... it's vast. I doubt you can cover all areas and sites in such a short visit. You should rent a car because there is very little mass transport between the areas. Must rent a car with driver I know what company give you a long term car rental, like I was !! I lived in Ouistreham (Sword) and enjoyed the city. In 2 days we saw what to see there and went to Juno's Cndn Museum.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 77
RE: D-day (day) trip - 8/13/2021 1:10:06 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jared426

Don't underestimate geography ... it's vast. I doubt you can cover all areas and sites in such a short visit. You should rent a car because there is very little mass transport between the areas. Must rent a car with driver I know what company give you a long term car rental, like I was !! I lived in Ouistreham (Sword) and enjoyed the city. In 2 days we saw what to see there and went to Juno's Cndn Museum.

Your realize you resurrected a nearly 2 year old thread?

(in reply to Jared426)
Post #: 78
RE: D-day (day) trip - 8/14/2021 8:48:53 PM   
pontiouspilot

What is more interesting is that I'm not Jared (I wish I was in Jamaica) and he just repeated verbatim what I said those 2 years ago???

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 79
RE: D-day (day) trip - 8/14/2021 9:05:48 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

What is more interesting is that I'm not Jared (I wish I was in Jamaica) and he just repeated verbatim what I said those 2 years ago???

Probably the Hormel bots are getting better . . .

Attachment (1)

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 80
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: D-day (day) trip Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI