Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WarPlan Dev Diary #4 - Production

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> RE: WarPlan Dev Diary #4 - Production Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WarPlan Dev Diary #4 - Production - 10/9/2019 6:19:03 PM   
AlvaroSousa

The oil rules have 2 different effects between the Axis and the Allies.

For the Axis it is about saving and using. Making a strategic goal and implementing it. You can't invade England, invade Russia, invade Spain, invade Syria all at once. You just don't have the oil. You need to stockpile it. You need to realize how many planes and tanks you can build without overwhelming your stockpile and depleting yourself.

For the Allies stockpile is no issue. They get plenty of oil each turn. Building too many oil dependent units will create a problem of supply overseas. It might blow through their turn stockpiles too fast rendering some units not doing anything. You can have all the oil in the world but not have enough at the front lines. Oil dependent units use more supply stockpile. An example is Russia just building armor and air. Besides certain tactical and production deficiencies of this strategy they might blow through their turn oil stockpile rendering some units doing nothing.

Manpower balance depends on strategy really. There are strategies to make manpower a weapon in the game. But I won't reveal them.

I am not giving anyone any hints on deep strategy. I want that adventure reserved for the players.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 31
RE: WarPlan Dev Diary #4 - Production - 10/10/2019 7:57:06 AM   
Meteor2

Quite interested to see this myself in 2 weeks.
Were the internal testers able to follow (not reproduce) history (more or less) in their games against the AI?
Have they been confronted with plausible considerations and concerns with the mentioned mechanics?
If Germany not helping the Italians in NA?
If Barbarossa not started in mid 41, but in 42? Will the SU start conquering the west?
If the Balkanfeldzug not happening and so Barbarossa starting in Mai 41?

When strategic decisions are of more importance, I am very exited, to dive into WAR PLAN.

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 32
RE: WarPlan Dev Diary #4 - Production - 10/10/2019 1:54:25 PM   
AlvaroSousa

I can't make a game balanced to recreate history. I can make a game based on history. Different skill sets, strategies, and luck make it almost impossible to accurately recreate history. What you will get is a very deep thinking game. As I, and the beta testers, tested the game we found various strategies decisions that can be used to play yet there are no events in the game or decision questions. The depth is mostly the strategic planning of offensives and use of resources.

Results may vary. But that is what makes it fun. You will have blow out games in one direction or the other. World in Flames has been around for decades and it still can't recreate a perfect balanced game because it's almost impossible to get everyone to the finish line for a photo finish game. That's actually quite boring. You need some games where you just mow down the opponent and put your foot on his defeated armies and wave the flag of victory. It's good for the ego.

I just hope the players like it.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to Meteor2)
Post #: 33
RE: WarPlan Dev Diary #4 - Production - 10/10/2019 9:52:21 PM   
Michael T

Is it possible to see the manual? Or at least some parts that are finalised?

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 34
RE: WarPlan Dev Diary #4 - Production - 10/11/2019 4:01:41 AM   
AlvaroSousa

They are working on it as we type. It's 95% done on their end.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 35
RE: WarPlan Dev Diary #4 - Production - 10/24/2019 2:44:01 PM   
blackcloud6

I'm not into the production thing. Usually this part of grand-strategic games cause a massive analysis paralysis on my part. is there a setting to just let the game go with a historical production schedule?

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 36
RE: WarPlan Dev Diary #4 - Production - 10/24/2019 3:15:31 PM   
AlvaroSousa

No.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to blackcloud6)
Post #: 37
RE: WarPlan Dev Diary #4 - Production - 10/24/2019 11:28:47 PM   
Captjohn757

Oil doesn't go bad. Oil can be contaminated; the chemicals added to it can deteriorate. But oil itself doesn't degrade --- it's been in the ground forever (well, at least thousands of years) and its composition doesn't change while it awaits refining. Petrochemical products (such as gasoline), however, can and do become degraded. Undoubtedly a 2,000 lb. bomb on an oil storage tank (Ploesti comes to mind) can wreak havoc. Overall, your emphasis on the weight that the availability (or lack thereof) that oil carried in WWII is well-founded.

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 38
RE: WarPlan Dev Diary #4 - Production - 10/27/2019 3:09:06 AM   
Saturn V

I'm late to the party on this one, I only just became aware of this game. What I've seen is very encouraging so far. But I do have a nitpick based on the screenshot in the opening post: columns of numbers should be RIGHT-ALIGNED. The numbers shown in the top left of the screenshot are left-aligned, and that's just not right, typographically speaking. It makes it harder to read the numbers and compare them as necessary.

This is something I frequently see nowadays with games, columns of numbers left-aligned. Please, for the sake of my eyes, right-align columns of numbers.

(in reply to Captjohn757)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> RE: WarPlan Dev Diary #4 - Production Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI