Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666(Soviets)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666(Soviets) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 8/28/2019 8:08:41 AM   
EwaldvonKleist

My younger brother is more skilled with video editing than I am and made a much better video with background music and a smoother transition between the frames, it sometimes seems as if the unit are actually moving. He also stabilised the alignment of the frames because transition between different computers messed up the necessary standardisation of the screenshots. Thanks to him for this! The Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda is always looking for skilled personal.

Clicking on the picture will redirect you to the video.

Fast version of the video.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 8/28/2019 8:21:09 AM >

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 91
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 8/28/2019 2:13:59 PM   
joelmar

Well done, cool and interesting video! It really shows the flow of the game.

"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 92
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 8/28/2019 2:26:32 PM   
joelmar

Interesting. After so much moving around and attacking in blizzard, I was wondering when the truck situation would hit and what would be the effects. Let's hope the recovery is not too long.

"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 93
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 8/28/2019 4:11:29 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist
My younger brother is more skilled with video editing than I am and made a much better video with background music and a smoother transition between the frames, it sometimes seems as if the unit are actually moving. He also stabilised the alignment of the frames because transition between different computers messed up the necessary standardisation of the screenshots. Thanks to him for this! The Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda is always looking for skilled personal.

Make sure his skills ratings get a boost - his last entry in WitE forums I feel undervalued his abilities.

Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

Post #: 94
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 8/28/2019 7:46:41 PM   
Zorch

quote:

The Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda is always looking for skilled personal.

What a coincidence! So is Pravda.

Post #: 95
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 8/31/2019 9:12:13 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

If someone would be so kind to ask morvael for an "art" leader rating in the game I could do justice to my younger brother.

I will be away on a Seminar for the next two weeks and will not be able to continue game&AAR during this time. As a nasty cliffhanger, the Soviets were more active in T11 than on any other turn except for T1. Feel free to guess what happened in T11 :)

Regards
EvK

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 8/31/2019 9:51:37 PM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 96
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/1/2019 11:21:11 PM   
King_Solomon

I love this AAR, it's like Operation Barbarossa in reverse (Assorabrab?). I've always wanted to do an AAR on a scenario other than the Grand Campaign. It's refreshing to see you do that. Wait, you're leaving us for two weeks after getting us hooked? May the tallest person at the Seminar sit directly in front of you!

Post #: 97
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/3/2019 4:58:36 PM   
John B.

That's a good one but, I think that a better seminar curse would be "may the crucial presentation be made by someone reading a 200 slide power point in a barely audible monotone." :)

(in reply to King_Solomon)
Post #: 98
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/3/2019 5:11:49 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: John B.

That's a good one but, I think that a better seminar curse would be "may the crucial presentation be made by someone reading a 200 slide power point in a barely audible monotone." :)

Death by Powerpoint is cruel and unusual punishment.

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 99
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/3/2019 5:14:59 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch
quote:

ORIGINAL: John B.

Death by Powerpoint is cruel and unusual punishment.

I have made grown men cry with my power decks!

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 9/3/2019 5:15:24 PM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 100
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/3/2019 11:14:00 PM   
King_Solomon

EvK hurry back, there appears to be dissension growing amongst the ranks!

(Note to self, if you see Telemecus with presentation clicker in hand, walk calmly but briskly towards the nearest exit)

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 101
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/7/2019 1:22:24 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

The great thing about the internet is that you meet so many nice and supportive people giving good wishes

It is a seminar about rocket science and European space industry and the program keeps one busy morning to evening, so I am afraid you need one more week of patience. None of your curses has materialized so far fortunately :)

If you want to play a real Assorabrab, I recommend Vistula to Berlin from the Lost Battles expansion.

Regards
EvK

Post #: 102
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/8/2019 12:13:27 PM   
King_Solomon

Wait, you have to be a rocket scientist to play this game? Somehow EvK I am not surprised after reading your guides and AAR's. Enjoy your seminar and looking forward to your next AAR installment.

Post #: 103
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/8/2019 1:47:56 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: King_Solomon
Wait, you have to be a rocket scientist to play this game? Somehow EvK I am not surprised after reading your guides and AAR's. Enjoy your seminar and looking forward to your next AAR installment.

Have you have not seen the spreadsheet section of EvK's library of WitE resources?

You will be begging for the power decks instead!

Post #: 104
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/8/2019 3:51:30 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: King_Solomon

Have you have not seen the spreadsheet section of EvK's library of WitE resources?

A senseless waste of human life.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 105
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/8/2019 5:49:32 PM   
King_Solomon

[/quote]

[/quote]

NEVER! The answer to any problem is an Excel spreadsheet. All WitE scenarios should have one.

But it's obvious to see your blatant jealousy from me calling out EvK. Telemecus what would this forum be without you!

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 106
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/8/2019 6:54:07 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

Frankly I have used a spreadsheet only once for WitE 1, to track the OOB during my first GC. Maybe it comes as a surprise but I don't use them usually. Any tool needs to have a direct impact on my play and spreadsheets don't meet this criteria for my play and mangagement style. The one point where I could use a purpose-built tool is to have withdrawing units&air groups displayed at one glance next to the WitE software so I can quickly adjust TOE&replacement settings. But you can still do this via CR at the cost of extra memory requirements in your head.
Purpose built analysis spreadsheets are something different.

I am not really a rocket scientist, it is more of a private interest and hobby of mine, math undergrad student is the current main occupation.

Regards
EvK

Post #: 107
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/8/2019 10:13:34 PM   
ledo

quote:

Frankly I have used a spreadsheet only once for WitE 1, to track the OOB during my first GC. Maybe it comes as a surprise but I don't use them usually. Any tool needs to have a direct impact on my play and spreadsheets don't meet this criteria for my play and mangagement style. The one point where I could use a purpose-built tool is to have withdrawing units&air groups displayed at one glance next to the WitE software so I can quickly adjust TOE&replacement settings. But you can still do this via CR at the cost of extra memory requirements in your head.
Purpose built analysis spreadsheets are something different.

I am not really a rocket scientist, it is more of a private interest and hobby of mine, math undergrad student is the current main occupation.

Regards
EvK

Spreadsheets get less and less useful the more you play in most cases. But they also get more useful the more particular you get, it seems.

One thing I found useful is having them at work. When I have time I can do a whole bunch of analysis while not having the game open. Looking at toes and morale etc. in pivot tables. If you throw the coordinates in a scatter plot you get a rough shape of the map and can then highlight or overlay units you want to do a hqbu or need to set on refit. It makes it a lot easier to open up the game after a long day at work if you've spent some of the day planning and organizing your actions, as you can get right into it.

Post #: 108
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/8/2019 10:31:13 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: ledo
One thing I found useful is having them at work. When I have time I can do a whole bunch of analysis while not having the game open. Looking at toes and morale etc. in pivot tables. If you throw the coordinates in a scatter plot you get a rough shape of the map and can then highlight or overlay units you want to do a hqbu or need to set on refit. It makes it a lot easier to open up the game after a long day at work if you've spent some of the day planning and organizing your actions, as you can get right into it.

This is interesting because it mirrors the same experience I had but with the team games. Although I got very into spreadsheets for War in the East, I never used them at all before the team games. But in the team games I found there was a lot of dead time which I could use to plan, but could not use to play because the game file was locked by one of the other players. At least with spreadsheets I could plan what settings I was going to use or other actions without actually being able to save a new game file. It came to the point where I would have my plan for a turn so thought out it could take me an hour or two whereas the actual time spent planning for it was far longer. Ultimately they are what made my go of the team side game quick.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 9/8/2019 10:33:05 PM >

(in reply to ledo)
Post #: 109
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/9/2019 11:45:44 AM   
King_Solomon

I still have time to turn you both to the dark side. Actually you both make great points, it depends on what you want to get out of them and your playing situation. If I am playing a limited turn scenario, I might use a spreadsheet to determine how I want to reorg units or support. I always have a list of reinforcements & withdrawals. I will admit, I do like having an OOB too. I am horribly forgetful anymore so I use it as an aid on a second monitor, the extra memory requirements in my head being long gone.

EvK - Thanks for sharing. It IS interesting, hope you enjoy.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 110
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/15/2019 9:35:44 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

T12, 04.02.1943 before Axis operations
The Seminar is over and it is time to resolve the cliffhanger. The Soviets conduct a two pincer offensive at Voronesh, isolating two Hungarian division and a regiment, destroying fortifications and rail lines while winning many battles. It is the first major Soviet offensive since T1 attack, every other operation was of very limited scope (taking 1-2 hexagons) or in response to Axis offensives.
The problem was that I saw the Southern pincer last turn but underestimated the MP (Soviet trucks shortages) and expected a normal grinding attack further South, while completely missing the Northern pincer. The Soviets had quite a number of weak units there for the the last month but sneaked in stronger formations which were difficult to identiy in this chaos. In addition I did not pay enough attention to fort level developement, which frankly is a bit difficult considering the length of the front.
I do not expect to lose formations due to this but the lost fortifications, wins for the Soviets (guards farming) and loss of unrecoverable morale is punishment enough.
The Hungarian generals disappoint but General Ernst Hell does a good job, preventing the Soviets from forming a tight pocket wall. He will get some medals.

Elsewhere, the situtaion is much better. I plan to destroy some fortifications and to Retake Rshew with operation Locomotive to reconnect the rail hexagons there for better supply. The priority this turn will of course be to react to the developements at Voronesh.

I also included some general information screenshots. Aircraft pools are fine except for tac/dive bombers, I could also use some more short range recon.
Annoying is the unused pool of Tiger tanks, the engine should be more flexible here, swapping some medium tanks if there are to many heavies. And some for fighter aircraft exports to R,H&F would be nice too.

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 9/15/2019 9:40:11 PM >

Post #: 111
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/15/2019 10:11:10 PM   
Telemecus

Your post mentions a regiment for guarding Sevastopol and other regiments to protect against landings - but I think this is (largely) redundant. i spent a long time wargaming the different landings and paths with timmyab in the 8MP game and came up with this.

see
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4606834

Basically the different level ports, with their effects on sea control, will mean the Soviet landings can never land close enough to take Sevastopol or cut the rail to it before units can be railed in from outside of Crimea to protect it. And similarly for Kerch (if Temryuk is not a working port for the Soviet side). Without that the Soviet units will be isolated, while the Axis will not, and the Soviet landings can be crushed at leisure. (note by testing we found that Kerch continues to remain in supply from other ports in the Azov sea whatever the manual says)

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 9/15/2019 10:15:18 PM >

Post #: 112
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/16/2019 7:53:05 AM   
EwaldvonKleist

The max range is good to know, thanks for the info. I tested it and Sevastopol was out of range but I was not sure because I did not have all ports on 0% damage and am not versed enough in WitE naval rules to know if port damage makes a difference. The only place where I have a Luftwaffe regiment atm is in Sevastopol, I was not worried about landings elsewhere for the reasons you described. I will move it somewhere else, Partisan duty or something like this.

While defending East of Kerch the Luftwaffe regiments where definitely necessary to prevent cut-off of the Rumanian units there because landings on the Kerch peninsula are definitely a possibility.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 113
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/17/2019 1:55:08 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

T12, 04.02.1943 after Axis operations
A few attacks here and there, because there won't be an offensive from my side until the truck situation improves they are not really worth their blood. But attacking feels good, sometimes you get a morale point or two, and helps keeping the high quality, but politically untalented leaders in their place.
Operation Locomotive is a success, I shouldn't have lost Rshew in the first place. The Voronesh pocket is reconnected and the city declared a Festung (fortified place), to be hold at all cost by the two Hungarian defenders. I scramble together a counterattack force, I have not yet decided whether I should only stop the Soviet incursion and create a new line or attempt to restore the old one.

The truck situation continues to be critical, I hope that will already be an improvement in the Spring from March onwards. The problem are not the truck losses, but the truck damage and the low repair rates, I have 100k trucks in repair. Amazingly the overall truck number has increased both from reinforcements and production which tends to be higher than the number of trucks actually destroyed. The most efficient Partisan action at this point would be to assassinate truck mechanics.

Post #: 114
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/17/2019 5:48:15 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

What did they do to deserve that punishment?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 115
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/17/2019 9:20:37 PM   
xhoel

Your truck situation looks bad to say the least but the situation on the front is quite good save for the Voronezh sector. I would advise you to stop using your motorized/armored formations so much and also try to lighten them up by removing SUs attached to them. Congrats for getting Rzhev, a deserved victory for the 9th Army!

Just a question: Is the promotions translation wrong? I have a strong feeling that the verb should go at the end: Rank x wurde zum y befoerdert.

AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 116
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/18/2019 12:00:40 AM   
EwaldvonKleist

T12, 04.02.1943 Germany things
Sauerkraut is rich of nutrients and an importannt source of Vitamin C in the winter. And you really have the impudence to comment on other people's food given your British heritage?

I will likely set some units to static mode. I need to get above the threshold again where you can completely nullify the truck deficit penalty if placing HQs correctly. I think it is 60% of required trucks.

Regarding the grammar, "Rang x wurde zum y befördert" is the usual form but "Rang x wurde befördert zum y" is possible as well. This being said, I am not that much a grammar expert, but from my language feeling it is fine, and it is quite reliable.

I already have T13 (my opponent is really quick, I can only recommend playing against Elma666), and noted the "sudden morale drop" phenomenon. I had successfully lifted an infantry unit to 82 morale and it dropped to 79 in one turn. Supply was fine, although it went from 60% TOE to 100% in one turn. I need to find a new Goebbels for motivational speeches, to bad we shot the old one.

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 117
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/19/2019 11:05:54 AM   
EwaldvonKleist

T13, 11.02.1943 before Axis operations
Soviets sit idle except for some action at Voronesh and Boguchar. The Hungarians are driven out of Voronesh but do an amazing job at tank killing given the overall odds. The wins and morale gain for the Soviet units are unfortunate, I want to face as few guard tank corps as possible.
The Boguchar attack shows what is possible if the Soviets are courageous and attack at odds around 1:1. They really should do more of this. Loss ratios are favourable despite high Axis fort levels.

Partisan activity is high this turn.

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 9/19/2019 12:29:29 PM >

Post #: 118
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/20/2019 7:48:26 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

T13, 18.02.1943 after Axis operations
To fight the truck shortage, I try to move motorised forces as little as possible. But there simply are too many temptations to become active with them. We will work down North to South.
South of the Lake Ilmen, I build up for Operation Eisbaden (ice swinning). It is a small operation to gain a better defensible position there by encircling&taking the swamp hex and a few light wood hexagons. My defence there so far consists of clear hexagons which could become dangerous long term. I also want the cornerstone of the line there to be protected by two light river hexagons. Then there is the Rshew area. I want to rebuild the forts there and clear two hexagons for better construction value for my units. Same intentions for the attack in the Kaluga area.
Significant counterattacks at Voronesh. I want to re-convert the hexagons so the Soviets can't build forts quickly there. I also want to reinstate the frontline in front of the rail for good logistics, therefore operation Ameisenstraße II (ant trail II) is ordered. Loss ratios from the attacks a bit disappointing given the odds and Soviet routs&multi hex retreats. At least it shows them the Axis is still superior at armoured combat. At Rostov you can see another "fort construction" attack.

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 9/20/2019 8:06:33 PM >

Post #: 119
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 9/20/2019 8:52:47 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

T14, 18.02.1943 before Axis operations
Active truck numbers fall (55k) but so does truck need (107k). The Soviet launch quite a number of attrition attacks and a good share of them succeeds. Common to them is that they do not start at good odds but see Axis mod CV stagnation and Soviet mod CV inflation. And this with on average 6-6 to 7-7 German leaders and 5-5 to 5-6 Soviet leaders. From my exp the CV/leader system gives higher inflation to low morale/xp units compared to shown CV and that good leaders have slightly higher influence on low mrl/exp units. If I still had major offensives ongoing the small Soviet successes would not be dramatic (sacrify a pawn to win the enemy bishop so to speak) but at the moment they come with no compensation for me.

Soviet losses approaching 4 Megadeaths but their OOB is above 6 Megamen for the first time.

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 9/20/2019 8:54:40 PM >

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666(Soviets) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI