Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666(Soviets)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666(Soviets) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 5/11/2020 9:55:03 PM   
joelmar

@EvK Nice to see your game continue is this game still on 1.11.03 or did you switch to 1.12.xx?

"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio

(in reply to Rick402)
Post #: 151
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 5/12/2020 1:46:22 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

Thank you both for the interest. The game will continue with 1.11.03. 1.12.xx seems to be quite experimental, making it unattractive for a game that already has some time sunk in it, and frankly I do not have the motivation atm. to work through all the new changes.

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 152
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 6/3/2020 9:13:02 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

T17, 11.03.1943 before Axis operations
No significant changes North of Bryansk. But from there to Rostov, the Soviets show activity, winning several battles. I continue to be somewhat frustrated by Soviet CV inflations. Almost all Axis corps and most of the attacked armies are below their command limit, and in most cases the Axis leaders have better leadership ratings. I had noted this difference already in the 1941 games, but in this stage of the war, it becomes more paramount. From my experience, low to intermediate exp/mrl have their CV understated by CV if their leader is at least decent, while high morale units have final CV much closer to the prediction.

Btw. zooming in the Browser also works by pressing Ctrl while rotating the mouse wheel.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 153
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 6/3/2020 9:57:22 PM   
eskuche

Oops, NADA.

< Message edited by eskuche -- 6/3/2020 9:58:20 PM >

Post #: 154
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 8/23/2020 3:54:05 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

After several RL-induced pauses I tried to get back into the game, but while working on T17 quickly found that playing WitE campaigns has somewhat lost its appeal to me. Therefore, my opponent (who felt a bit burnt out too) and me agree to end the game. I am sorry for ending the show here, but the time commitment required would be too much for something I don’t fully enjoy anymore.
I hope (and think) the AAR has been good entertainment to this point, and I certainly enjoyed writing it.

I would like to add some concluding considerations.

1) The StB defensive play in this game is quite different from all other defences I have played so far. The Axis side is defending, but unlike the Soviet side 1941/42, neither time nor the reinforcement schedule on its side. Furthermore, any space you give will likely be lost forever.

2) The AAR title is an allusion to one of the great strategical questions of the historical Axis defence in the East: defend stubbornly to keep the ground, or manoeuvre and look for opportunities to win battles and destroy enemy formations? I believe in the latter approach. The initial attacks were a battle against time because the Soviet army initially is unorganized and frozen. The unit kill count is 27 divisions and 7 brigades, almost a front worth of units. It should be mentioned that the leaky Stalingrad pocket in the beginning made all this much easier.
Unfortunately, the blizzard quickly damaged so many trucks that mobile warfare became difficult and forced me to shelve the manoeuvre plans in favour of a hold fast approach, even setting motorized units in static mode. I planned to return to mobile warfare when the weather improved.

3) After the successful break-out of the Stalingrad pocket, I was quite optimistic that the Axis can face the Soviet on equal terms in a static environment until at least spring/summer. This was a misconception for … reasons:
i) The Soviets are the slightly stronger side. Therefore, any destroyed fortification hurts the Axis more than the Soviets.
ii) The loss ratios and the replacement ratios mean that the Soviets can gamble on low odds attacks. If they fail, loss ratios are okayish, if the succeed, loss ratios are advantageous and an enemy fortification is successfully destroyed. Although the Axis can usually fill the gaps, increasing resources are spent on replacing fortification with raw CV, drawing strength away from counterattacks. This is possible because low morale/exp CV have higher variance and can therefore sometimes roll high.
The Axis can’t use the same strategy (even though destroying Soviet fortifications would be very nice to create counterattack threats) as the loss ratio is too bad.

4) Future plans I: My focus has always been to destroy Soviet manpower, an in line with this, the main plan going forward was a Kursk style battle for Velikie-Lukie to cut off the salient, commencing during first clear turn after the four April mud turns.

The timing is crucial:
i) The four mud turns give time to concentrate motorized units for the Northern pincer in the Demyansk area and the Southern pincer in the vicinity of Rshew. During other weather, the units could not be spared on the other fronts and their absence would more likely be spotted by Soviet intelligence.
ii) The turn after the first clear turn is mud and the pocket can rot for a turn without threats of counterattacks.
iii) Returing the mobile units to other crisis spots will take time. The mud-clear-flipflop limits the amount of damage the Soviets can do where the Axis elite is not.

The operation was already prepared by low-level attacks aimed at fort destruction around Demyansk and Rshew and preparation would have included decoy massings of split-up mobile units in clear area.
The offensive for sure would have been risky and its launch dependent on recon results.

5) Future plans II: Independently from the grandiose offensive plans, the summer would have seen defensive play around natural barriers with the aim to stay as far East as possible as long as possible.
Local counterattacks would have been used to take important defensive hexagons in order to achieve a frontline that:
i) Has Axis units in defensive terrain and the opposing unit not in defensive terrain.
ii) Is short and not in danger to be cut off due to salient
iii) Is closer to own rails than enemy rails.
iv) Has dense own hinterland (fallback lines and protection from enemy recon), while the enemy hinterland is clear (threatening Axis counterattacks and allowing for good recon)

The idea is to minimize the own necessary force (fortification&difficult terrrain, low uncertainty about enemy strength in the area, easy reinforcement) while maximizing the necessary enemy force (easy terrain, uncertainty about own strength, therefore requiring reserves for possible counterattacks, difficult reinforcement).

Of course this is an ideal only approached in praxis, but striving for this frees units that can be used actively or for sectors without defensive terrain, especially the South.
6) Thanks to my opponent Elma for the game. He is a reliable and (unlike me) quick player. I think he played a solid game and would have slowly but inevitably made the situation ever more uncomfortable for the Axis side. Improvements possible on the T1 Stalingrad pocket, and even more aggressiveness and attacking, especially because attacks deny the Axis reserves for counterattacks.

If I have forgotten some items, they will be added later.
<<Advertisement>>: My second AAR in the DC:B forum has been recently completed too: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4677394&mpage=2 <</Advertisement>>

Thanks to all who read and commented in and on this AAR!
Regards
EvK

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 8/23/2020 4:00:03 PM >

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 155
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 8/23/2020 4:02:30 PM   
Telemecus

Great to see you back. WitE is a big beast that has given us all great joys. But it will never be for ever. Nevertheless you can be very proud of all you have given here and to the WitE community. Even this AAR as it is has shown the potential for this scenario as an alternative to the common 41 start one.

It does lead to the bigger question of history. Why did the Axis fight on? Did they fight on as that was the only alternative? They certainly knew it was not a war they could win, were they hoping for a draw or respectable loss?

Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

Post #: 156
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 8/23/2020 4:43:54 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

My short answer is like this: There was hope for a split between the Allies or a lucky turn of events. In addition the Nazi ideology and its most prominent proponent promoted an ideology of victory or complete destruction of the "Aryan race". By continuing the war, the Nazis were also able to stay in power and escape conviction/death for a bit longer. The of the population rest followed for many reasons, among them real support for the ideology or some of the Nazis' aims, fear of consequences of disobedience, opportunism, effective propaganda, insufficient initiative to act against the system, or no idea how to do it effectively.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 157
RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666... - 3/22/2021 12:26:14 AM   
EwaldvonKleist

Finally completed the German version of this AAR too for all Krauts who would like to read it in their native language: https://www.si-games.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30172

Post #: 158
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Stand fast or manoeuvre? StB EvK (Axis) vs. Elma666(Soviets) Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI