Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> Future Ideas >> RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/5/2019 6:39:06 AM   
warspite1

Is it possible with this game engine to add naval?

If so then Norway April-June 1940 is desperately waiting to be war gamed!

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 31
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/5/2019 9:39:56 AM   
Saint Ruth

The naval at the moment is abstracted. You can assign naval units to attack ground units, so there's no naval-naval warfare (or air-vs-naval either), the simulation of the naval aspect (as opposed to the ground units) of Norway would have to be a complete;y new addition.
Still, maybe in the future, one day! The game (Monty's Front) would for example mean the addition of Paratroopers, so new things will be constantly added.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 32
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/5/2019 10:08:55 AM   
wodin

Thats why I said Cambria. The bonus is both sides defend and attack. I agree '14 aswell. Funny, East Front WW2 I'm obsessed with same as West Front WW1. However East Front WW1 holds little interest for me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

For WW1, I suppose it'd have to be something relatively mobile? The 1918 German Spring offensive? France 1914? The Eastern Front?

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 33
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/5/2019 1:36:21 PM   
Saint Ruth

Yeah, I don't know that much of the WW1 Eastern Front either (beyond Tannenberg 1914 from reading Max Hasting's Catastrophe, and from watchng Doctor Zhivago ) and there doesn't seem to be that many books on it.
If we ever did a WW1 game, it would have to be a famous battle, something like Cambria!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 34
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/6/2019 1:19:08 AM   
bcgames

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I've actually put some thought into how to do this and think it possible using current capabilities with a couple tweaks...but I'd like to see amphibious operations implemented first.

quote:

Love the topic. Played GDW's Narvik solitaire a long time ago. Super interesting. Got the bug again watching WW2:

The Invasion of Norway and Denmark - WW2 - 033 - April 13 1940

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 35
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/6/2019 11:28:26 AM   
wodin

It's all well and good us throwing out ideas but will Slitherine back a game that covers a more niche theater/War etc?

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 36
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/6/2019 1:24:29 PM   
Saint Ruth

Ah, we'll see how Stalingrad goes first!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 37
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/6/2019 9:00:33 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: bcgames

quote:

I've actually put some thought into how to do this and think it possible using current capabilities with a couple tweaks...but I'd like to see amphibious operations implemented first.

quote:

Love the topic. Played GDW's Narvik solitaire a long time ago. Super interesting. Got the bug again watching WW2:

The Invasion of Norway and Denmark - WW2 - 033 - April 13 1940
warspite1

Well that is music to my ears. Here - like the War in the Mediterranean June 1940 - May 1943 and Guadalcanal August 1942- February 1943 - is a perfect campaign for war gaming. These campaigns could have gone either way. They are absolutely fascinating, featuring naval, land and air. Norway and Denmark has the added advantage of such a narrow timescale and limited numbers of troops but any such game HAS, imo to include individual ships.

Here's hoping!

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 38
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/8/2019 6:29:53 AM   
bcgames

Hope springs eternal!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 39
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/8/2019 3:26:10 PM   
76mm

World War I would be a definite turn off for me, other than potentially the Eastern Front. Prit Buttar has a series of books on the WWI Eastern Front which make it sound like a much more fluid, mobile affair where the Germans regularly beat up the Russians but the Russians regularly beat up the Austro-Hungarians.

Vietnam also holds zero interest for me. And while I've found Dien Bien Phu interesting to read about, I can't see how it would be an interesting game, since it mainly consists of just sitting around.

I'm sort of a one-trick pony and am mainly interested in WWII Eastern Front--I'll buy anything you put out on that, otherwise it is wait and see.

We haven't really seen how this engine works in more complex terrain than the open desert, so I'm not sure yet about campaigns in constrictive terrain (Bulge or urban-heavy operations).

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 40
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/9/2019 5:50:42 AM   
bcgames

Thanks for your earnest feedback.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 41
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/9/2019 1:46:59 PM   
Okayrun3254

There is a feature I would like to see in future games. The keyboard commands are very useful when playing a game, but I am not very good at memorizing keyboard commands, and referring back to the list slows me down. I would like to see a pulldown list of those commands like "LOC Range" etc.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 42
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/10/2019 10:07:25 AM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

Prit Buttar has a series of books on the WWI Eastern Front

I might give those books a read, they look very interesting. Cheers

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 43
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/10/2019 10:09:43 AM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Okayrun3254

There is a feature I would like to see in future games. The keyboard commands are very useful when playing a game, but I am not very good at memorizing keyboard commands, and referring back to the list slows me down. I would like to see a pulldown list of those commands like "LOC Range" etc.

There's a button on the left that lists all the hotkeys (by the way, you can also press the black buttons on the hotkey description and it'll work too).
Or do you mean something else??
Cheers, Brian

(in reply to Okayrun3254)
Post #: 44
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/10/2019 12:59:16 PM   
Okayrun3254

quote:

quote:

There's a button on the left that lists all the hotkeys (by the way, you can also press the black buttons on the hotkey description and it'll work too).
Or do you mean something else??
Cheers, Brian

Okay, I see what you mean with the black buttons. It would be nice if the hot key window could be reduced in size. I like to keep it open as I do my turn, but its takes up a lot of room on the screen. Also, is there a way to minimize the game screen into a smaller window, or even to hide at the bottom of the screen?

Thanks

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 45
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/10/2019 1:39:03 PM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

Okay, I see what you mean with the black buttons. It would be nice if the hot key window could be reduced in size. I like to keep it open as I do my turn, but its takes up a lot of room on the screen. Also, is there a way to minimize the game screen into a smaller window, or even to hide at the bottom of the screen?

Thanks

Yes, it is a bit big ;).
I suppose it could have scroll bars on it, so you can change the size...mmm...will have to have a think.
I suppose I could also add an optional Hint dialog, so that at the start of the turn, it'd give a description of one hotkey or some other game info.

To minimize the game, you can either start the game in "window" mode, and that'll allow you to minimize the game like any other window, and move it around the screen, but not shrink it though.

Post #: 46
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/10/2019 2:44:27 PM   
Okayrun3254

quote:

quote:

Thanks

Yes, it is a bit big ;).
I suppose it could have scroll bars on it, so you can change the size...mmm...will have to have a think.
I suppose I could also add an optional Hint dialog, so that at the start of the turn, it'd give a description of one hotkey or some other game info.

To minimize the game, you can either start the game in "window" mode, and that'll allow you to minimize the game like any other window, and move it around the screen, but not shrink it though.

Cool, I did not know about starting the game in Windows mode. I will give it a go.

I was thinking if you could size down the hotkey window by touching the border with the mouse pointer and adjust the size like a typical window, that would be nice.

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 47
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/10/2019 6:29:36 PM   
Okayrun3254

quote:

quote:

Thanks

Yes, it is a bit big ;).

A scroll bar is a good idea. I find that I keep that box open during play as I make different checks for things like AA zones, zone of controls, etc.

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 48
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/12/2019 3:52:04 AM   
bcgames

quote:

A scroll bar is a good idea. I find that I keep that box open during play as I make different checks for things like AA zones, zone of controls, etc.

Nice! Thanks for taking the time to propose your suggestion. I think this will make game play better.

Post #: 49
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/15/2019 7:30:27 AM   
bcgames

I'm starting to think that the game after Monty's Front isn't a repeat of previous game paths. It is an amalgamation of scenarios that best advance the next capability(ies) of the game engine. The period of war doesn't really matter--the historical situations do as far as game play goes. Conflicts between 1898 and 1985 would provide the grist for the set of scenarios in this game-after-the-game-after-next. Lots of scenarios from different periods of history...like Operational Art of War 'cept diffrnt. What say you?

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 50
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/17/2019 9:43:47 PM   
governato

I like games with focus...so the next-after next etc etc ... should at least have a well defined era (say Napoleonics or Civil War)

My top picks in no specific order

- Civil War (campaigns, not just the battles)

- French Ardennes 1940: lots of fun engagements in a tight time frame.

- Napoleon Campaigns (campaigns, not just the battles)

- Eastern Front Endgame: 1944-45 Rarely done, but hey I like a lot of artillery and watching the Nazi lose..:)

These are all fluid games that would highlight the engine capabilities over classic IGOUGO games.

Not interested in WWI.
WWIII is being done really well by 'Flashpoint Campaign" and its soon to be sequel, why compete with so much to explore with WEGO

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 51
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/18/2019 12:28:42 PM   
wodin

How about some sort of alternative history Steampunk WW1 setting? Including Telsa weaponry and steam powered mechs? ALso huge many gunned landships.

< Message edited by wodin -- 9/18/2019 12:29:15 PM >

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 52
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/19/2019 2:47:19 AM   
bcgames

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

How about some sort of alternative history Steampunk WW1 setting? Including Telsa weaponry and steam powered mechs? ALso huge many gunned landships.

Sure. Why not? I'll add it to the roster.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 53
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/19/2019 1:19:10 PM   
Okayrun3254

quote:

I'm starting to think that the game after Monty's Front isn't a repeat of previous game paths. It is an amalgamation of scenarios that best advance the next capability(ies) of the game engine. The period of war doesn't really matter--the historical situations do as far as game play goes. Conflicts between 1898 and 1985 would provide the grist for the set of scenarios in this game-after-the-game-after-next. Lots of scenarios from different periods of history...like Operational Art of War 'cept diffrnt. What say you?

I am not interested in a change to "Lots of scenarios". I have played Operational Art of War on and off for years, and I like the system, but what I don't like is what seems to be an erosion of scenario historical integrity. I look at all the scenarios for OAoW, and I wonder which ones are well researched and which ones are not. The feel of a well researched historical scenario is in the top five reasons why I will play a game. If I feel like that is lacking, I lose interest. I was drawn to Desert War because I like it when a game focuses on a specific time period, and so do the add on games.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 54
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/19/2019 4:39:49 PM   
superhans

Battle of the Caucuses, Crimea, Taman/Kuban peninsula, Maikof, etc

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 55
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/20/2019 2:09:23 AM   
bcgames

quote:

ORIGINAL: superhans

Battle of the Caucuses, Crimea, Taman/Kuban peninsula, Maikof, etc

How would you feel about this done at division level at 5km per hex?

(in reply to superhans)
Post #: 56
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/20/2019 2:34:25 AM   
bcgames

quote:

I am not interested in a change to "Lots of scenarios". I have played Operational Art of War on and off for years, and I like the system, but what I don't like is what seems to be an erosion of scenario historical integrity. I look at all the scenarios for OAoW, and I wonder which ones are well researched and which ones are not. The feel of a well researched historical scenario is in the top five reasons why I will play a game. If I feel like that is lacking, I lose interest.

If I do a scenario it will be well-researched. I am proposing a single game that touches on all the interest points of those folks who would like to try an operational-level WEGO game system. The more people interested in the progress of the engine--the better in my view. Given your demonstrated commitment to the game, I think you feel the same when history is well represented.

quote:

I was drawn to Desert War because I like it when a game focuses on a specific time period, and so do the add on games.

Can't argue with that...except that Brian and I aren't going to live forever. If we can't sell the WEGO game engine--then the list of potential topics will long out-live us. Game 5 is contingent upon a whole lot of progress/success with WEGO. There will be no diminution in historical research.

Thanks as always for your well-considered feedback.

Game on!

Post #: 57
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/20/2019 5:34:16 PM   
Okayrun3254

quote:

quote:

I am not interested in a change to "Lots of scenarios". I have played Operational Art of War on and off for years, and I like the system, but what I don't like is what seems to be an erosion of scenario historical integrity. I look at all the scenarios for OAoW, and I wonder which ones are well researched and which ones are not. The feel of a well researched historical scenario is in the top five reasons why I will play a game. If I feel like that is lacking, I lose interest.

If I do a scenario it will be well-researched. I am proposing a single game that touches on all the interest points of those folks who would like to try an operational-level WEGO game system. The more people interested in the progress of the engine--the better in my view. Given your demonstrated commitment to the game, I think you feel the same when history is well represented.

quote:

I was drawn to Desert War because I like it when a game focuses on a specific time period, and so do the add on games.

Can't argue with that...except that Brian and I aren't going to live forever. If we can't sell the WEGO game engine--then the list of potential topics will long out-live us. Game 5 is contingent upon a whole lot of progress/success with WEGO. There will be no diminution in historical research.

Thanks as always for your well-considered feedback.

Game on!

As always, thanks for giving us gamers a voice in development. Your games have never lacked for historical research, and that is very nice. I thought more about the single game touching on multiple interest points. It is a bold idea, and I am coming around to see how that could be very interesting to see how the game engine works in other time periods. Keep up the great work!

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 58
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 9/21/2019 2:58:23 AM   
bcgames

quote:

More thought on this. I think the progression of the engine looks like this:

WEGO1: Desert War 1940-42

WEGO2: Stalingrad: Nightmare on the Volga. Introduces bridging and pontoons, ski troops, partisans, security units, supply depots, airfields, and air transport of supplies.

WEGO3: Monty's Front: 21st Army Group. Will introduce airborne and riverine operations.

WEGO4: Title TBD...introduces expanded naval rules (amphibious operations, naval interdiction, counter-naval operations, naval supplies, etc.) Best topics for exploring WEGO4 are Narvik, Seelowe, Sicily/Salerno/Anzio or Normandy/Avalanche.

WEGO5: Title TBD...World War II in Europe and the Mediterranean. I think WEGO5 is the "Operational Art of War" version of the WEGO engine. It is an amalgamation of all the terrain types, unit types, and asset types found in our "previous games" plus those missing. It would add new nations/factional units and assets...AND provide a scenario editor that includes catalogs of units and assets of for all WWII Western Europe/Mediterranean Theaters from 1939-1945...from the Invasion of Poland to the Fall of Berlin. It would also include a list of new scenarios and campaigns that explore the various aspects of these theaters. Maybe a sandbox mod at this point. WEGO5 is a game and a robust toolkit for would-be scenario designers.

Bottomline: I think expanding the capabilities of the WEGO engine takes precedence over topic. The topic chosen best supports the next set of capabilities. In the end there is a well-stocked toolkit of art resources and editors so that fans can explore their interests on the Western Fronts and easily share their scenarios with others.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 59
RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? - 10/9/2019 3:54:13 AM   
Okayrun3254

quote:

quote:

More thought on this. I think the progression of the engine looks like this:

WEGO1: Desert War 1940-42

WEGO2: Stalingrad: Nightmare on the Volga. Introduces bridging and pontoons, ski troops, partisans, security units, supply depots, airfields, and air transport of supplies.

WEGO3: Monty's Front: 21st Army Group. Will introduce airborne and riverine operations.

WEGO4: Title TBD...introduces expanded naval rules (amphibious operations, naval interdiction, counter-naval operations, naval supplies, etc.) Best topics for exploring WEGO4 are Narvik, Seelowe, Sicily/Salerno/Anzio or Normandy/Avalanche.

WEGO5: Title TBD...World War II in Europe and the Mediterranean. I think WEGO5 is the "Operational Art of War" version of the WEGO engine. It is an amalgamation of all the terrain types, unit types, and asset types found in our "previous games" plus those missing. It would add new nations/factional units and assets...AND provide a scenario editor that includes catalogs of units and assets of for all WWII Western Europe/Mediterranean Theaters from 1939-1945...from the Invasion of Poland to the Fall of Berlin. It would also include a list of new scenarios and campaigns that explore the various aspects of these theaters. Maybe a sandbox mod at this point. WEGO5 is a game and a robust toolkit for would-be scenario designers.

Bottomline: I think expanding the capabilities of the WEGO engine takes precedence over topic. The topic chosen best supports the next set of capabilities. In the end there is a well-stocked toolkit of art resources and editors so that fans can explore their interests on the Western Fronts and easily share their scenarios with others.

I have always been interested the Anzio battle. I think it is about the right number of units, and both side have a chance to be on the offensive. I also think it would be a good opportunity to put in some what if's. Like what if the Allies committed another division sooner than later? I always felt the allies did not give the landing enough troops, and if they did, the outcome might have been different.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> Future Ideas >> RE: After Monty's Front...What do YOU want to see? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI