Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Best thing about the game is?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Best thing about the game is? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/20/2019 3:24:43 PM   
rsallen64

Best thing for me is it fulfills, in every way, a desire for a Pacific-wide simulation of the conflict that covers air/land/sea in all aspects. Perhaps 40 years ago I played AH's Flat Top with a friend, and since then I wanted to expand the scope of that game outward. He dropped out of playing the game after a few turns (too complex, IIRC). This game has it all! I have enjoyed reading about the Pacific War for more than 40 years and now, to be able to actually game the challenges the military leaders faced is something I have always wanted. It's not perfect, but then nothing is, but it is as close as anything has ever come, or is likely to.

Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester

"The greatest and noblest pleasure which men can have in this world is to discover new truths; and the next is to shake off old prejudices." Frederick the Great

(in reply to AlessandroW)
Post #: 31
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/20/2019 4:07:13 PM   
jagsdomain

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlessandroW

For me in no particulars order:

1) WEGO system: really the best feature for a game, you cannot made preassumptions because you know exactly where the enemy units are disclocated

2) Logistic: a game in the game

3) Naval/Air/Ground combat in the same game

4) Historically accurate

5) Mental challenge: you can spend all day thinking about your turn, more stronger the opponnent more fun the game

I am still struggling with what to do with the Tigers and the P40 from Philippines.
It way better for my brain matter than first person shooters.
Somthing I left off is one turn does not kill your game. I will playing it for another 3 years lol

Post #: 32
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/20/2019 4:55:17 PM   
AlessandroW

What I really like about WitP is how your plans change over the course of the game, there are so many options that evaluate all of them can be impossible.
Like in chess, the best players know what to do when there isn't a clear path to follow

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 33
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/20/2019 10:26:07 PM   
jagsdomain

quote:

What I really like about WitP is how your plans change over the course of the game, there are so many options that evaluate all of them can be impossible.
Like in chess, the best players know what to do when there isn't a clear path to follow

Agreed! 1 turn does not kill you. You can and have to change.

Post #: 34
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/20/2019 11:05:21 PM   
DHRedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: jagsdomain

quote:

a flexible plan has reserves in place and multiple variants I would not call that change, that which looks like change is often simply well thought out preparation.

Change is often the end of the battle, most change is based on less information not more information. A good plan does not change, but knows that tactical movements are fluid dependent on the situational force arrayed in opposition, and has variations in timing and deployments to adjust.

Air cover, airbase sweeps, and boots on the ground at 4:16
Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onkIDKqZemM

However if your entire world view is shown wrong, you may have to make some unprepared for corrections.

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 35
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/21/2019 2:18:27 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DHRedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: jagsdomain

quote:

a flexible plan has reserves in place and multiple variants I would not call that change, that which looks like change is often simply well thought out preparation.

Change is often the end of the battle, most change is based on less information not more information. A good plan does not change, but knows that tactical movements are fluid dependent on the situational force arrayed in opposition, and has variations in timing and deployments to adjust.

Air cover, airbase sweeps, and boots on the ground at 4:16
Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onkIDKqZemM

However if your entire world view is shown wrong, you may have to make some unprepared for corrections.

To be precise, the principle of war you are talking about is "Maintenance of the Aim". That is the part that does not change - everything else in the plan is subject to various uncontrollable factors and the leader must be willing to drop what is not working and make adjustments on the spot.

Well trained troops will be tactically agile and adjust their attack or defence as conditions require. But in each case, the original plan deviates because of new information, such as finding out the Atoll you thought would fall easily because it had so few troops was defended by a tank regiment. Time to bring in some anti-tank weapons of your own, even if the plan didn't call for them!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to DHRedge)
Post #: 36
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/21/2019 3:03:20 AM   
DHRedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

To be precise, the principle of war you are talking about is "Maintenance of the Aim". That is the part that does not change - everything else in the plan is subject to various uncontrollable factors and the leader must be willing to drop what is not working and make adjustments on the spot.

Well trained troops will be tactically agile and adjust their attack or defence as conditions require. But in each case, the original plan deviates because of new information, such as finding out the Atoll you thought would fall easily because it had so few troops was defended by a tank regiment. Time to bring in some anti-tank weapons of your own, even if the plan didn't call for them!

I was trying to write a reply to you, and after a page of typing it was far to verbose and far off target.

So best reply would be,

"Stay on Target"
While
"Not using a targeting computer"

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 37
RE: Best thing about the game is? - 9/21/2019 12:27:31 PM   
AlessandroW

Even a good plan can change if a better solution arises, therefore I think that the very good players are the ones that recognize this change before the others.

Of course the ultimate aim is win the war but if your opponent made a mistake and you don't try to exploit it, even a good plan can be suboptimal in this case.

< Message edited by AlessandroW -- 9/21/2019 12:30:58 PM >

(in reply to DHRedge)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Best thing about the game is? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI