Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Pacific Theatre

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> RE: Pacific Theatre Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Pacific Theatre - 8/19/2020 8:38:26 PM   
AlvaroSousa

I am trying to make it about bases and land based air.

FYI China does not cooperate with the Western Allies

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to battlevonwar)
Post #: 151
RE: Pacific Theatre - 8/20/2020 1:22:29 AM   
Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: battlevonwar

I heard of stories where the US fleet drove out at Pearl to meet the Japanese and it was pretty bloody overall.

What battles are you talking about? Midway was the only CV battle that came from Pearl. Coral Sea was launched from Australia.

Post #: 152
RE: Pacific Theatre - 8/20/2020 2:41:24 AM   
battlevonwar

There were hypothetical Scenarios run on what would of happened had the use reacted to the invasion of Pearl with the information to do it.

Unfortunately I don't recall where and how I found that information but it was done pretty thoroughly.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

quote:

I heard of stories where the US fleet drove out at Pearl to meet the Japanese and it was pretty bloody overall.

What battles are you talking about? Midway was the only CV battle that came from Pearl. Coral Sea was launched from Australia.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 153
RE: Pacific Theatre - 8/20/2020 2:14:10 PM   
kennonlightfoot

In War in the Pacific and all out attack by US on Japanese Pearl Harbor fleet could be decisive if against the AI.

The key to the Pacific war is supply convoy routes. Nimitz Island hopping strategy was built around by-passing and cutting off Japanese held Islands while creating the supply routes and bases he would need to attack Japan.

The opposite strategy was being used by McArthur to reconquer everything in his path to getting back to the Philippines.

It will be interesting to see how Alvaro handles these two quite different strategies in his game.

I personally hope he just leaves China out of the war. Make it something that just happens by events or something in the background. One of the problems with Strategic Command is that the China war became a massive WW I style battle with lines extending across the Asian continent. Worse winning there could decide the war. The war in the Pacific in SC quickly degenerated into a massive commitment to India, Burma and China. Almost the complete opposite of the back water commitment made there by the Allies.

Post #: 154
RE: Pacific Theatre - 8/20/2020 2:59:20 PM   
wesy

Yes include Admirals specifically The "Razor" as Tanaka was known to the US. My avatar agrees!

"I ran into Isosceles. He had a great idea for a new triangle!"...Woody Allen

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 155
RE: Pacific Theatre - 8/21/2020 12:47:10 PM   
miv792

The Japanese were bad in everything, the ships did not float, the planes did not fly, they fought and fight badly, the lazy allies decided to defeat them only in 45. Please don't listen to fanboys so categorical :)

Sorry for my english

(in reply to wesy)
Post #: 156
RE: Pacific Theatre - 8/21/2020 4:18:33 PM   
magic87966

quote:

ORIGINAL: miv792

The Japanese were bad in everything, the ships did not float, the planes did not fly, they fought and fight badly, the lazy allies decided to defeat them only in 45. Please don't listen to fanboys so categorical :)

Bad in everything? What about torpedoes, carrier ops, night fighting at sea and on land, defensive tactics, naval attacks by ground based air, individual sacrifice, discipline and determination? Just to name a few.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake we must not interrupt him too soon."

Horatio Nelson

(in reply to miv792)
Post #: 157
RE: Pacific Theatre - 8/21/2020 7:52:28 PM   
baloo7777

My Uncle Meyer who just passed away at 96 fought in the Pacific during WWII... I think he might have disagreed with the notion that the Japanese were "bad in everything."

JRR

(in reply to magic87966)
Post #: 158
RE: Pacific Theatre - 8/21/2020 10:46:22 PM   
Platoonist

The guy put a smiley face at the end of his post. I figure either kidding or trolling.

I believe a WW2 British officer once referred to Japanese soldiers as "first-class soldiers in a third-class army." They may have not always had the best kit or leadership, but certainly didn't lack for fighting spirit.

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 159
RE: Pacific Theatre - 8/22/2020 10:19:55 AM   
miv792

quote:

Bad in everything? What about torpedoes, carrier ops, night fighting at sea and on land, defensive tactics, naval attacks by ground based air, individual sacrifice, discipline and determination? Just to name a few.

This was Sheldon's sarcasm, at the previous destruction of the Japanese armed forces and this people. Do not take it for rudeness, just do not like the one-sidedness of people.

< Message edited by miv792 -- 8/22/2020 10:21:35 AM >

Sorry for my english

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 160
RE: Pacific Theatre - 8/28/2020 7:53:47 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

So I'm not interested in Warplan (sorry not refighting WWII in Europe according to the actual War's script with "Barbarossa" scheduled for May-June 1942 or Russia attacks)

Does Russia attack if Barbarossa isn't launched? What are the percentage chances of it happening?

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 161
RE: Pacific Theatre - 8/28/2020 8:52:07 PM   
ncc1701e

Chances are 100%

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 162
RE: Pacific Theatre - 8/29/2020 1:41:35 AM   
malkarma

Actually Japan and the URSS had a strict non agession agreement until 1945. And when I say strict taht means medical and cilvilian supplies were moved by Vladivostok.

Also Coral Sea battle started from Australia, but Midaway and the Guadalcanal invasion started from Pearl Harbour and Samoa.
Also even the disaster of Midway, the Japanese fleet managed to sink the Wasp (sub attack) and the Hornet (in Santa Cruz battle), so until december 1942, uS fleet only had one real CV operational...the MIGHTY CV6 ENTERPRISE (the Saratoga always managed to find herself under reapairs or travelling during that period).
The real turning point of the Pacific is the Guadalcanal campaing and the Biscamrk Islands capture, due to the experienced pilots loses for the Japanese Air Force and the fact that they were unable to replace their sunk ships.
After that, the Turkey shoot at the Mariana's was the unavoidable fate.

This said, there was more surface battles during the pacific campaing that in the Battle of the Atlantic and Mediterranean together (only Guadalcanal had like 10 surface encounters), so that need to be considered regarding the search chances for non CV fleets.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 163
RE: Pacific Theatre - 8/29/2020 2:46:55 PM   
kennonlightfoot

Disagree on turning point. Midway was it. Japanese carrier fleet never was a serious threat after that loss. The Americans easily made up the losses. The Japanese lost four fleet carriers. While they had others lighter carriers they never put together a viable carrier threat after that.

But more importantly it set them up for what happened in the Guadalcanal campaign. Without air power that a carrier fleet would have provided they couldn't dominate the Island and cut off the marines from support. Midway became the first of an almost continuous string of defeats.

(in reply to malkarma)
Post #: 164
RE: Pacific Theatre - 8/29/2020 6:42:55 PM   
battlevonwar

Just finished the Book Shattered Sword about the Japanese CVs in the Pacific. I think everyone is right(it doesn't appear that the Japanese had a Pilot Training Program) when they lost their cream of the crop, they lost it for good. Plus it appears a lack in ability to replace their Carriers(naturally they had less than 1/20th the Industrial Capacity of the USA)

In Shattered Sword they break down precisely why the Japanese lost and they probably could not of helped it. Down to their Recon Planes and their orders. Their whole doctrine was set for them to lose. Could they of won a few more local victories and extended the war, yes... for certain could they of won the war, most assuredly NEVER unless the USA gave up.

(in reply to kennonlightfoot)
Post #: 165
RE: Pacific Theatre - 8/29/2020 7:15:42 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

Just finished the Book Shattered Sword about the Japanese CVs in the Pacific. I think everyone is right(it doesn't appear that the Japanese had a Pilot Training Program) when they lost their cream of the crop, they lost it for good. Plus it appears a lack in ability to replace their Carriers(naturally they had less than 1/20th the Industrial Capacity of the USA)

In Shattered Sword they break down precisely why the Japanese lost and they probably could not of helped it. Down to their Recon Planes and their orders. Their whole doctrine was set for them to lose. Could they of won a few more local victories and extended the war, yes... for certain could they of won the war, most assuredly NEVER unless the USA gave up.

Shattered Sword is a fine work. They covered the impact of Midway on the battle for Guadalcanal beautifully in the chapter on assessing the battle's importance.

quote:

While the Japanese may have privately acknowledged the seriousness of their defeat at Midway, they did not feel that fact condemned them to to fighting on unequal terms around Guadalcanal. Indeed, in the short term, they were able to stay in game in the waters off Guadalcanal. At this point in the conflict, even after the losses she had suffered, Japan still possessed the means to equip the air groups of several more fleet carriers, had the ships themselves been available. Japan ultimately did commit a large scale of air resources to the Solomons contest, but most had to operate from primitive land air bases, some too far from the action.

Of the two major carrier battles fought off Guadalcanal, the Japanese lost at Eastern Solomons, but arguably won at Santa Cruz. But even when they achieved what appeared to be temporary victories in those waters, they lacked the strength anymore to capitalize on their triumphs. They could no longer seal the deal by inflicting a final crushing victory, driving off the US support vessels and exterminating US forces on the island. Had even just the Hiryu or Akagi survived Midway, the Japanese might have had the requisite strength to prevail four to six months more in those crucial waters.

However, once Japan concedes defeat at Guadalcanal, the tipping point finally arrives. By the end of 1942 the carrier fleets of both the US and Japan were in a shambles with both sides exhausted and spent. The US even borrowed a British carrier (the Victorious) early in 1943 to bolster their strength in the South Pacific. The opposing carrier fleets would not meet again until 1944. But by the middle of 1943 the Americans began committing Essex class carriers to the Pacific at the rate of one every other month in addition to the nine light Independence class carriers. A production rate the Japanese in their wildest dreams could never equal.

< Message edited by Platoonist -- 8/29/2020 7:22:07 PM >

Post #: 166
RE: Pacific Theatre - 8/29/2020 7:44:22 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

They had a pilot training program, but it focused too much on creating a tiny number of elite pilots instead a lot of just good ones like the US program did. It turned out that even elite pilots can have a disastrous attrition rate, especially when they are called upon to fight again and again with no relief to the point of sickness and exhaustion.

One of the myths of the Midway battle is that the Japanese suffered catastrophic losses in their naval air arm. The casualty figures show that their losses were only slightly greater than those of the Americans, and represented less than a quarter of the aircrew assigned to 1st Air Fleet. The really crippling losses were among the carrier plane maintenance crews and mechanics and the carriers themselves. Their loss forced most of the Japanese Navy's pilots to operate off of rough land bases with poorly maintained aircraft during the decisive South Pacific campaign, in which the Japanese Navy's air power would be ground down by attrition.

Post #: 167
RE: Pacific Theatre - 9/15/2020 8:37:18 PM   
BrutalReaper

I love the idea of adding the Pacific! Will the game be separate than the original, or could we fight the entire war in a single game?

Post #: 168
RE: Pacific Theatre - 9/15/2020 8:39:41 PM   
MorningDew

I believe the current plan for the first release is just Pacific.

(in reply to BrutalReaper)
Post #: 169
RE: Pacific Theatre - 9/16/2020 1:36:01 PM   
AlvaroSousa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

One of the myths of the Midway battle is that the Japanese suffered catastrophic losses in their naval air arm. The casualty figures show that their losses were only slightly greater than those of the Americans, and represented less than a quarter of the aircrew assigned to 1st Air Fleet. The really crippling losses were among the carrier plane maintenance crews and mechanics and the carriers themselves. Their loss forced most of the Japanese Navy's pilots to operate off of rough land bases with poorly maintained aircraft during the decisive South Pacific campaign, in which the Japanese Navy's air power would be ground down by attrition.

I learned something new. None of the books I read on the Pacific even mentioned this.
Eagle Against the Sun
Japan's War
and others.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 170
RE: Pacific Theatre - 9/16/2020 4:57:23 PM   
ago1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlvaroSousa

I learned something new. None of the books I read on the Pacific even mentioned this.
Eagle Against the Sun
Japan's War
and others.

I'm trying to do the same, since the game is based on tactics used in real life. I didn't know that UK had broken the sub code in the Battle of the Atlantic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cexTcnTHdc8

Post #: 171
RE: Pacific Theatre - 9/16/2020 5:57:49 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Germany lost the battle of the atlantic in 1942. 2nd happy time was only due to the USA being so stupid.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to ago1000)
Post #: 172
RE: Pacific Theatre - 9/17/2020 1:40:45 AM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlvaroSousa

Eagle Against the Sun
Japan's War
and others.

Those are good titles. Spector's Eagle Against the Sun is hands-down the best one volume book on the subject.

However, if you get a chance (God knows you are a busy as it is) I heartily recommend Shattered Sword. It does demolish a lot of the myths of Battle of Midway without detracting from the table-turning and pivotal nature of the battle. Perhaps, the most important thing the book does is reveal the self-serving fabrications put forward by Japanese Navy captain and pilot, Mitsuo Fuchida in his 1955 book Midway: The Battle That Doomed Japan.

Fuchida’s book was quickly translated into English, while the operational records that belied it were in handwritten Japanese stored on microfilms. For this reason, American historians (perhaps not surprisingly) simply swallowed Fuchida’s account of events verbatim and declined to look further. It did not help matters that Fuchida had become great friends with Gordon Prange, whose best-selling Miracle at Midway (1983) became, hands down, the most important English-language account of the battle, one whose details were subsequently incorporated into many other Western histories.

Intriguingly, Fuchida’s reputation as a reliable witness was being demolished in Japan even as these Western histories were coming out. For example, Minoru Genda, the First Air Fleet’s staff air officer, acknowledged in his own memoirs that he was aware of the scene in the movie Tora! Tora! Tora! were Fuchida passionately argues for a third strike on the Pearl Harbor oil tank farms, but explicitly denies that such an incident ever took place or that any such proposal was put forward at the time by Fuchida.

Post #: 173
RE: Pacific Theatre - 9/17/2020 3:26:11 AM   
canuckgamer

In my opinion the books to read on the Pacific theatre is the pacific war trilogy by Ian Toll. I have read the first two, Pacific Crucible and The Conquering Tide. The Twilight of the Gods was just released and is already on the best seller list.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 174
RE: Pacific Theatre - 9/17/2020 3:07:28 PM   
kennonlightfoot

Thanks for the recommendation, I had forgotten about Toll. I read his book Six Frigates some time ago. Downloaded Pacific Crucible from Amazon.

(in reply to canuckgamer)
Post #: 175
RE: Pacific Theatre - 9/17/2020 5:11:36 PM   
ago1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: kennonlightfoot

Thanks for the recommendation, I had forgotten about Toll. I read his book Six Frigates some time ago. Downloaded Pacific Crucible from Amazon.

I just bought the audio book from amazon. Should be an interesting listen. Thank you too for the recommendation.

Post #: 176
RE: Pacific Theatre - 9/17/2020 11:41:11 PM   
malkarma

From the navy point of view, I can also recommend Luis de la Sierra books. As long as you are fine knowing that he is is a writer of his time (Spain during the Franco's directorate), and you understand that he have a "poetic" vein in his chapters openings, you can get a point of view form a "neutral country" sailor. Actually he likes to makes comments about the leadership in the naval battles. In fact, Ireally think that his thoughts about the Prince of Wales+Repulse sinkining plus his opinion about Yamaguchi´s sacrifice are interesting.

ps: Off topic here, but I need to recommend "War between generals" from David Irving. After reading it (i have did it 4 times) you will end wondering how the allies managed to win the war. Really amusing and with some caustic quotes by the protagonists.

(in reply to ago1000)
Post #: 177
RE: Pacific Theatre - 9/18/2020 1:26:49 PM   
magic87966

Definitely agree on Ian Toll. Six Frigates and the Trilogy are outstanding. Although not on the entire war in the Pacific, I definitely recommend James D. Hornfischer’s books. “The Last Stand of the Tincan Sailors” (Leyte Gulf), “The Fleet at Flood Tide” (44-45), and my favorite “Neptune’s Inferno”. This one is about the Solomons campaign and is fantastic. I love WP and anxiously looking forward to WP Pacific but I always wanted to play a good game centered on the Solomons campaign. This was the only time the Japanese and the US were on something close to an equal footing and a theater based game on that campaign would be fun to play for both sides..

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake we must not interrupt him too soon."

Horatio Nelson

(in reply to malkarma)
Post #: 178
RE: Pacific Theatre - 11/20/2020 6:10:36 AM   
Fred98

Do we know the scale of warplan pacific v the scale of warplan?

(in reply to magic87966)
Post #: 179
RE: Pacific Theatre - 11/20/2020 1:11:13 PM   
AlvaroSousa

The Pacific is 4x the size of Europe. So the scale of WarPlan Pacific is 80km per hex vs Europe's 40km per hex.

The map is the same physical size as Europe.

It is still Corps/Div level but Has a bit of a different mix to where there will be more divisions.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> RE: Pacific Theatre Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI